Which has the best chance to exist, Magic or the Force?

Prev13
In our universe, which has a better chance of existing? I think the Force does. Why? Telekinesis, is a popular theory of controlling objects with the mind. Sound familiar?

So, what do you think?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Magic.
    pz9lqdlpz07g.jpg
  • There are some that would argue that the force and magic are one and the same.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Kyno wrote: »
    Magic.
    pz9lqdlpz07g.jpg

Or as Gandalf said "It's what you may call magic.." Which Prof. Tolkien was very against the word magic being used to explain the abilities of some in LOTR. Or as Thor explained to Jane in the movie. You call it science, others call it magic. I come from a realm where they are one in the same".
  • There are some that would argue that the force and magic are one and the same.

I question the use of "Sorcerers" in SW. But I guess it was easier than inventing a new term and thus having to explain it, govern it, etc..

Also the force is inhabited by "Midi-chlorians" and they preform the act not us?

I question the use of "Sorcerers" in SW. But I guess it was easier than inventing a new term and thus having to explain it, govern it, etc..

Also the force is inhabited by "Midi-chlorians" and they preform the act not us?

Lucas did coin a word to describe it. A couple actually. Jedi and Sith. But also agree with the Thor line, also Jane said that magic's just science we don't understand yet.

Lucas did coin a word to describe it. A couple actually. Jedi and Sith. But also agree with the Thor line, also Jane said that magic's just science we don't understand yet.

"Magic is a word used to explain the unknown". Author unknown

"Magic is a word used to explain the unknown". Author unknown

So the author is magic? :D
  • essentially..
  • essentially..

Those are the oils that run the world :D
  • essentially..

Squeaky grease gets the wheel
  • essentially..

If that were true, then Snoke would have a backstory.
  • I just hope that if Snoke had a backstory, it would be magical
  • essentially..

Moving right along.. this is not the rant you are looking for lol
  • essentially..

Moving right along.. this is not the rant you are looking for lol

Forgive me, I was having fun.

Back on topic, Magic Vs The Force. I think the George borrowed a lot from all of history to go into the story, we can dissect the movies and see that concepts came from everywhere. Jedi are like samurai, stormtroopers...
    Even his beliefs come into play, as he identifies himself as a Buddhist Methodist. Regardless of origin, the ideals are all blended into the universe we all love.
  • He said he used all the themes he loved as a child.
  • He said he used all the themes he loved as a child.

Nothing wrong with that. I do say specifically the Jedi represents religion more than magic. But the aspects of the force mirror magic. Old Bens Ghost (interesting band name) would be necromancy and you’ve already pointed out manipulation of objects is telekinesis. Force lightning and healing representation of nature?
  • "That wizard's just a crazy old man".
    Obi-Wan uses the force, but wizards use magic, therefore the force is magic.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Well in that reference I think GL decided it was easier to use a familiar term. Creating/Summoning something out of thin air, commanding the elements, to me, are abilities associated with magic. Now, the cross over could be healing. Both can. But again the Midi-c's are the ones doing it, not the force user?
    Post edited by DuneSeaFarmer on
  • Well in that reference I think GL decided it was easier to use a familiar term. Creating/Summoning something out of thin air, commanding the elements, to me, are abilities associated with magic. Now, the cross over could be healing. Both can. But again the Midi-c's are the ones doing it, not the force user?

No I believe it is more like that MCs are just the conduits of the force, they allow us to take in and then distribute the energy of the force that is all around us and in everything.Think of them kind of like a battery, which is why they are used as a measurement of power. The more of them you have, the stronger your connection to the universal forces which leads to a larger % of the force around you being acquirable to tap into and use as the power source of your abilities.
  • breaking a Jedi down into healers is like breaking wizard down into Wiccan.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    magic exists, the force doesn't.
    irrefutable proof:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hVzgodHJ24
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    magic exists, the force doesn't.
    irrefutable proof:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hVzgodHJ24

I don’t know what video you watched, but all I see is the force.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    So you think it's staged or some kind of CGI like they use in star wars? 8-)
    So you think it's staged or some kind of CGI like they use in star wars? 8-)

Obviously all real and practical effects. I believed he was gliding up the escalator like I believed yoda was a real puppet
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    just compare it to the force, it's totally different
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRjNAoWP_N0
    just compare it to the force, it's totally different
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRjNAoWP_N0

Even rocket man couldn’t make that clip bearable. Why is it sooo awkward??!?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    so in conclusion the force is just awkward magic? xD
  • A
    leef wrote: »
    so in conclusion the force is just awkward magic? xD

That scene is awkward “magic”.
    The force is good magic. Lol
  • This reminds me of the age old arguement of "who would win, Batman or Superman". And the reply is "Duh, Superman isn't even real!" Lol
  • If the force is separate to magic, magic still exists in the SW universe in the form of the Nightsisters.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!