I found this funny

2Next

Replies

• Kokie wrote: »
    Too much censorship everywhere....glad I grew up when I did and we could say whatever we wanted without someone getting offended

Except that you didn't. It's just that anyone who was offended did't have a voice.

thank goodness you are here to be offended for them
  • TVF
    36526 posts Member
    Ugh.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    Kokie wrote: »
    Too much censorship everywhere....glad I grew up when I did and we could say whatever we wanted without someone getting offended

Except that you didn't. It's just that anyone who was offended did't have a voice.

So you're saying back then we could say whatever we wanted, because we didn't have a voice? Solid logic.

Try again

I just repeated what you said, worded slightly different. I thought it was pretty funny.
    The underlying implication that the people who are easily offended now are the same ones that didn't have a voice back then is probably even funnier, but it seemed to have resonated quite a bit with our fellow forum users. Personally i don't feel like the people who suposedly didn't have a voice back then are responsible for us being more sensitive/easier offended as a society. It's not like you need to have been wronged in one way or another to feel offended, or that if you have been wronged in one way or another that you're somehow incapable of offending others. Every single person is doing both the offending and being offended, it's just that we as a society get our feelings hurt more quickly and feel more justified to speak out on hurt feelings. Is that a good or bad thing? Who knows, surely atleast a bit of both good and bad at the same time.
    ps. When i picture someone being offended easily it's some smug, well off, college kid pretending that his/her feelings are hurt to get what he/she wants or just to look like a caring person being offended on behalf of (inferior. because they can't stick up for themselves, but definately equal) other people. I'm guessing that's not the image that pops into your mind when thinking about people being offended too easily nowadays ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
    Always someone taking everything out of context....I grew up in the early 80's on a Indian reservation and while I am white many of my best friends were native American. We played cowboys and Indians together , laughed together, cried together, called each other names that would make people cringe today and they was never any hurt feelings or hate and malice towards anyone. We were friends respected each other and are still friends to this day. We accomplished all that without censors because we were mature enough to know that if I called them a skin or they called me a hokey it was meant in fun not malice.

What does this have to do with anything?

It's a forum. There is no context outside of what is plainly written. The rest of it, you fill in from your own experience/bias (see Leef's comment about who he envisions as those being offended). You're childhood experience defines your beliefs, but it could be very different from someone else's experience, who actually got the crap beat out of them for wearing the wrong color baseball hat to school - nevermind saying anything that could be 'offensive.'
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    A thought on the origional point of the post. There's a simple solution. Put a toggle switch in the settings to allow those that aren't easily offended to turn the censorship off.

Easy fix. You want to not see offensive stuff then leave the filter on. If you don't care and are annoyed at the censoring of random words, then turn it off. Not too hard of a concept.

This is simple common sense - sadly lacking in today's world.

People are offended way more easily today than they were in the past.

I always find this point amusing. Not so long ago if two people of different colours even held hands and waked down the street together, people would get so offended they would literally murder someone.

The idea of people being attracted to people of the same sex was so offensive that we would force them to chemically astrate themselves.

Tell me how we're more easily offended now again?
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Tbirds01
    1235 posts Member
    edited January 2019

I always find this point amusing. Not so long ago if two people of different colours even held hands and waked down the street together, people would get so offended they would literally murder someone.

The idea of people being attracted to people of the same sex was so offensive that we would force them to chemically astrate themselves.

As those points are good to mention,
    Back then, we got offended by different things than we do today. The only reason we don’t kill someone over something we get offended by nowadays is because the police would be closer and hotter on our trail than back then. I’m not saying I myself would kill anyone (by no means!), but it is good to mention that the security cautions were lacking a bit back then.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

colleges have safespaces. Doesn't that say it all?
    Besides, those were considered to be rather big issues back then, so it's not like they got offended easily. That's like saying people were not offended easily back then because they couldn't give 2 siths about statutory rap since that was considered normal back then. Both have no bearing on how easily people get offended, just about what people are getting offended which is based on the morals and values the majority holds (at a certain place during a certain time).
    It's not really an argument in favour of us not being easily offended noways, it's just saying we were gigantic a-hles back then judged by today's (western) standards. We sure were a helluva lot less accepting back then towards gays and interracial relations, but i think it's fair to say we were also less easily offended.
    Maybe it's not even necessary to mention, but people who disagree with you and think people are too easily offended nowadays aren't saying that not being acceptent of gays and interracial relations is somehow okay. Or that oppressing people in such a way that they don't have a voice to be offended like the other guy implied has been going on is a better alternative.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    edited January 2019
    I would weigh in here and say people are certainly more offended or at least claim to be offended in today's world.

Where there are genuine issues to take offence about, I think a lot of people use that as an excuse to take a moral high ground so to speak and cause issue - sometimes where there really is no issue.

I think the right to be offended is being abused all too easily and generally people (with common sense) are sick of that - because its everywhere you look, even when the situation is flat out ridiculous.

On another note - people are afraid to speak their minds -due to the mere fear of someone taking offence or claiming to take offence and painting the person with a particular opinion as racist or whatever, so its silencing another right - freedom of speech.

Classrooms are a good example - a professor stated that he started a controversial debate in his lecture and no one participated because they were afraid of how their opinion would be taken by others. The result was clear - no participation in a meaningful or intelligent discussion out of fear of offence.

Says a lot to me about today's world - if you can't even have a discussion like that in a safe environment such as that, there are big issues at play in the world of being politically correct.
  • Boo wrote: »
    On another note - people are afraid to speak their minds -due to the mere fear of someone taking offence or claiming to take offence and painting the person with a particular opinion as racist or whatever, so its silencing another right - freedom of speech.

I always find this argument amusing. People mistake "Freedom of Speech" with "Freedom from Consequence."

The first amendment prohibits the government from making laws that abridge your ability to speak freely. You can "speak your mind" about whatever you want. You are then free to own the consequences of that speech.

The fact that you abridge your own speech for fear of those consequences might provide you with an opportunity.
  • You all have missed the point , I wasn’t trying to spark a national debate about your family or race history, I’m was just pointing that words that are used by developers and names of ships and the word trapezoid shouldn’t be censored, the words are being used in a game that is from a fantasy universe .... FICTION, people, and I want Slave Leia back please , she kicked **** in a bikini made of metal ,
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »

I always find this argument amusing. People mistake "Freedom of Speech" with "Freedom from Consequence."

The first amendment prohibits the government from making laws that abridge your ability to speak freely. You can "speak your mind" about whatever you want. You are then free to own the consequences of that speech.

The fact that you abridge your own speech for fear of those consequences might provide you with an opportunity.

I agree completely - but even when comments are not racist or whatever it doesn't stop people from trying to pin that label on that person. Therefore why should anyone live with a consequence of an action that never took place - it was merely someone else taking offence for whatever reason.

That is my point. You are right - for legitimate reasons people should own the consequence of their wrong doing, but should not be silenced out of the fear that the consequence will come because of someone's feelings.

Of course it all depends on context etc. - But once freedom of speech becomes controlled, it is the beginning of the end I am afraid.
  • Boo wrote: »
    That is my point. You are right - for legitimate reasons people should own the consequence of their wrong doing, but should not be silenced out of the fear that the consequence will come because of someone's feelings.

You just flat out stated that someone's feelings are not a legitimate reason to edit your own speech. Interesting perspective. Words aren't much, but for the feelings they elicit - and it's these feelings which give them power.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »

You just flat out stated that someone's feelings are not a legitimate reason to edit your own speech. Interesting perspective. Words aren't much, but for the feelings they elicit - and it's these feelings which give them power.

I also said "Of course it all depends on context etc." So clearly it depends on "how" those feelings were hurt. If it was as a result of hate speech, then of course that should be prohibited. But under the context of an intelligent conversation, running the risk of offending the odd person is inevitable and should not result in any consequence.

You can't please everyone, their are many people out there with different beliefs and cultures etc. just because a few people may take offence to something - doesn't mean consequences are always warranted.

I hope that clears up my point a little better.
  • My own thread has become too political and gone well pear shaped , would you like some starter bread with that order of crazy , we live in a time that people have gone insane with trying to be to politically correct, , I blame Starbucks they have put mind control syrum in the coffee
  • I found this funny...even though it might make some people triggered. But hopefully enough people laugh.

https://entertainmentearth.com/product/star-wars-the-black-series-resistance-tech-rose-6inch-action-figure-case-of-12/hsc3735doz

The only true safe space is in between your ears.
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • I found this funny...even though it might make some people triggered. But hopefully enough people laugh.

https://entertainmentearth.com/product/star-wars-the-black-series-resistance-tech-rose-6inch-action-figure-case-of-12/hsc3735doz

The only true safe space is in between your ears.

Kinda pricey. I'll give ya $5 for a dozen.