Why does Ezra get countered?

It has always bothered me that Ezra’s assist attack triggers a counter on Ezra while the text reads “target ally attacks and then Ezra assists them” and it counts as a bonus attack, as he cannot assist if he is Dazed. But then JKR has two in built assist attacks. I understand that direct focus doesn’t trigger a counter as he just inflicts mark during his turn and then calls all jedi (including himself) to assist. But then with strategic advantage that has basically the same mechanic as Ezra, calling an ally to assist and then the character also uses his basic during his turn, it doesn’t get countered.

So my question is, which one of the two is bugged? Because they shouldn’t interact differently against counters.

Replies

• Neither. Revan's assist also stuns the target. Stunned targets can't counterattack.

Chirps's ability where he calls all ewoks including himself to assist gets him countered. Cody's all assist gets him countered.

Basically, it isn't the fact that it's an assist that keeps you from being countered, it's all about your turn. If it's your turn, you'll be countered, if it's not, you won't.
  • Yes, the direct focus one does, not the strategic advantage one. I know that stunned targets cannot be countered is not my first time playing swgoh
  • The one that really annoys me is when i use greedos special to dispel, dengar assists, then calls greedo for an assist and they counter greedo. I get that it's his turn but i specifically used his cleanse to avoid a counter that turn.
  • JRuibal wrote: »
    Yes, the direct focus one does, not the strategic advantage one. I know that stunned targets cannot be countered is not my first time playing swgoh

The strategic advantage buff also prevents a character from being countered.
  • DuneFlint wrote: »
    The one that really annoys me is when i use greedos special to dispel, dengar assists, then calls greedo for an assist and they counter greedo. I get that it's his turn but i specifically used his cleanse to avoid a counter that turn.

Really? That has actually never happened to me before in P2 sith, where I always do that.
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Strategic Advantage specifically grants counter immunity. Watch & Learn doesn't.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Jarvind wrote: »
    Strategic Advantage specifically grants counter immunity. Watch & Learn doesn't.

But when a Jedi uses the strategic advantage ability they give the ability to a different jedi. That jedi then assists and then the jedi who gave it to them (who no longer has the strategic advantage buff) also assists. But the jedi who gave away the strategic advantage doesn't get counter attacked even though they gave it away before they attacked.

At least that's how it appears to be in-game, but upon reading the description, the jedi that gave away Strategic advantage uses their basic attack before they lose strategic advantage:

"A Jedi ally with Strategic Advantage can't be countered. Strategic Advantage: Dispel all debuffs on target other Jedi ally. They gain Strategic Advantage and assist, using their Basic ability. This character uses their Basic ability and loses Strategic Advantage."
    Jedi 1 uses S.A. ability --> Jedi 2 gets S.A. --> Jedi 2 assists --> Jedi 1 uses basic attack --> Jedi 1 loses S.A. is how the code plays out, but the visuals show the first jedi losing the S.A. buff before the assists, which is why it appears the same as Ezra's assist mechanism.
    The one that really annoys me is when i use greedos special to dispel, dengar assists, then calls greedo for an assist and they counter greedo. I get that it's his turn but i specifically used his cleanse to avoid a counter that turn.

Lol, that's never happened to me. One way around it is to stick a zeta on Greedo so they're stunned.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!

Lol, that's never happened to me. One way around it is to stick a zeta on Greedo so they're stunned.

That doesn't work against a raid boss ;)
  • Vertigo wrote: »
    DuneFlint wrote: »

That doesn't work against a raid boss ;)

It'll work in all other places though.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Vertigo wrote: »
    Jarvind wrote: »

But when a Jedi uses the strategic advantage ability they give the ability to a different jedi. That jedi then assists and then the jedi who gave it to them (who no longer has the strategic advantage buff) also assists. But the jedi who gave away the strategic advantage doesn't get counter attacked even though they gave it away before they attacked.

At least that's how it appears to be in-game, but upon reading the description, the jedi that gave away Strategic advantage uses their basic attack before they lose strategic advantage:

"A Jedi ally with Strategic Advantage can't be countered. Strategic Advantage: Dispel all debuffs on target other Jedi ally. They gain Strategic Advantage and assist, using their Basic ability. This character uses their Basic ability and loses Strategic Advantage."
    Jedi 1 uses S.A. ability --> Jedi 2 gets S.A. --> Jedi 2 assists --> Jedi 1 uses basic attack --> Jedi 1 loses S.A. is how the code plays out, but the visuals show the first jedi losing the S.A. buff before the assists, which is why it appears the same as Ezra's assist mechanism.

That’s what I thought, that the order of events involved passing on the strategic advantage buff before the jedi does his basic but I guess that’s not the case. Any way if ezra just does a basic and will get countered, Daze shouldn’t stop him from doing at least one attack.
  • Woodroward wrote: »
    Neither. Revan's assist also stuns the target. Stunned targets can't counterattack.

Chirps's ability where he calls all ewoks including himself to assist gets him countered. Cody's all assist gets him countered.

Basically, it isn't the fact that it's an assist that keeps you from being countered, it's all about your turn. If it's your turn, you'll be countered, if it's not, you won't.

When hermit calls a assist with masters training, and the opposing team has a dengar stealthed so hoda can't stealth does he get countered because it's his turn?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Treeburner wrote: »
    Woodroward wrote: »
    Neither. Revan's assist also stuns the target. Stunned targets can't counterattack.

When hermit calls a assist with masters training, and the opposing team has a dengar stealthed so hoda can't stealth does he get countered because it's his turn?

It has to be both your turn and an attack by you. It just doesn’t matter whether said attack is an assist or not.
  • Liath wrote: »

It has to be both your turn and an attack by you. It just doesn’t matter whether said attack is an assist or not.

So is that a yes ?
  • Treeburner wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »

So is that a yes ?
    That is a no. Although it is Hermit Yoda’s turn, he is not the one attacking, so no counter.
  • , "it's all about your turn. If it's your turn, you'll be countered, if it's not, you won't."

That's why I made the hermit Yoda situation up. Damage has to be made by the character who's turn it is.

What about attacks that don't cause damage like c3po. If someone assist him does c3po get countered. ?
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    , "it's all about your turn. If it's your turn, you'll be countered, if it's not, you won't."

That's why I made the hermit Yoda situation up. Damage has to be made by the character who's turn it is.

What about attacks that don't cause damage like c3po. If someone assist him does c3po get countered. ?

So you’re just playing semantic games? If it’s not your turn you won’t get countered. If you don’t deal damage you won’t get countered. If it is your turn and you do deal damage, you may get countered regardless of whether your attack is considered an assist or not. What’s the difficulty here?