The first ever Grand Arena complaint.

*Sarcasm*
But I'm still going to vent here.
I'm going to lose, again, maintaining my perfect lose streak. The matchmaking is always spot on when giving me oponents with almost identical GP, but my gear 9 lobot and his pals are not doing me any favours.
I own every ship and character (minus Traya and Falcon) and each one is level 85, at least Gear 7 and all have at least a full set of matching level 15 mods. The majority of abilities are upgraded and I have prioritised higher grade mods where possible.
My opponent on the other hand has exactly enough characters to make incredible teams without his or her Ugnaugt and friends taking up the GP of their roster because they're all either locked or G1 level 1.

So now all I can do is accept last place rewards each time and pout about the fact that I was told to inflate my GP for Territory War and get told how stupid that was.

If you made it this far; many thanks. :)

Replies

• Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    TAZZZOOO wrote: »
    So now all I can do is accept last place rewards each time and pout about the fact that I was told to inflate my GP for Territory War and get told how stupid that was.

You benefitted from your inflated GP in TB. Enjoy! :-)

Your inflated GP always had the same impact in TW as it now does in GA.
  • I didn't know I was potentially hurting my guild like that :( While we have a positive Win/Lose ratio this makes me want to avoid all areas of the game where drawbacks are given to those with inflated GPs.
    I'll just wait for a resolution to this problem or the ability to de-gear a character.
  • There will never be an option for de-gearing a character. It goes against one of the game’s primary objectives: resource management. If you don’t spend the resources wisely, it’ll bite you in the butt. Lobot, for example, serves literally no use but GP inflation. It just means moving forward only gear and level up characters that synergize with each other
  • This is a major problem, and easy to correct. As a someone who chased GP to benefit my guild in earlier levels in TW, I am completely at a disadvantage as the minimum number of zetas i am down against my opponents in Grand Arena has been this one, 12. Most are at least 19 more.

19 Zetas! Think about that, in many GAs there are only 33 total opponents, there is absolutely no way for me to win a GA round unless the opponent forgets to set their defense.

I suppose ship matchmaking is also an issue, but i've never gotten there, so who knows?

Here is how it needs to be corrected.:

1) Separate ship and character GP. Since 3/4 GA rounds should be characters, if at all character GP should be given the most weight. This should probably be enough, but if there are still issues with ships, than ship GP should be weighted differently than character GP.

2) For character GP, multiply total character GP times the number of zetas a player has; while that will certainly be a HUGE number, no one will ever see this number as this is only what is used for matchmaking.

Thats it.

As a for instance, I am currently in the first round on my GA:

My opponent:

Total GP: 5,189,190
    Ship GP: 2,098,863
    Character GP: 3,090,935
    Zetas: 63

Me:

Total GP: 5,193,014
    Ship GP: 2,077,672
    Character GP: 3,115,342
    Zetas: 51

I have won a grand total of 1 battle in 6 attempts, I dont have any worthwhile teams left. My opponent has dropped 3 total battles, but has beat all of my toons.

I kept a mirror match revan for their revan team, his revan has 3 zetas, mine two. Can't even dispatch one character, and I have some great mods on my arena team revan team.

Th4 way they are currently matchmaking, I have a higher GP, but I'm not even close. Under my math, my opponent would have 194, 728, 905 matchmaking points. My team has 158, 882, 442. At a difference of roughly 36,000,000 my opponent is basically 23% more powerful than I am!!!!!

Whats worse, it will only get worse for me since Grand Arena winners are rewarded with zetas.

My method is more fair; what will likely happen is that deep teams and heavily zetaed teams may get matched up together only in the worst case, but this should be okay. In most cases, deep teams will be matched against other deep teams.

It really needs to change soon. GA has the possibility of being the best section of the game, but I'm not even bothering to try to finish this one. Might as well not bother setting teams. I'm going to try to set weak teams on defense, and keep back all of my zeta'd characters for offense, but I'm still SOL if i run into his ton of zetas on defense.

Change it CG, it should be easy.
  • TAZZZOOO wrote: »
    *Sarcasm*
    But I'm still going to vent here.
    I'm going to lose, again, maintaining my perfect lose streak. The matchmaking is always spot on when giving me oponents with almost identical GP, but my gear 9 lobot and his pals are not doing me any favours.
    I own every ship and character (minus Traya and Falcon) and each one is level 85, at least Gear 7 and all have at least a full set of matching level 15 mods. The majority of abilities are upgraded and I have prioritised higher grade mods where possible.
    My opponent on the other hand has exactly enough characters to make incredible teams without his or her Ugnaugt and friends taking up the GP of their roster because they're all either locked or G1 level 1.

Depending on your GP bracket you only need X amount of teams, which means X amount of toons.

If you work out those teams and which toons to put in them, then max those ones out, the rest of your roster is pretty irrelevant. It will be a long process but the sooner you start the sooner you will start to see improvements.
  • You might still get lucky in round 2 or 3 by being matched with an opponent who has an equally deep roster. Or, for that matter, one who makes terrible decisions on defense, or plays it way too safe on offense and wastes his best teams on much weaker defense squads.
  • you expect us to cry for your poor case ?.
    you did some very bad decisions, you suffer from it now. having bad toons at high gear and high level is NOT good.
    did you cry for us, the more focused guys, when we needed to upgrade with the most expensive stuff ? while you upgraded with green and blue gear, we grinded purple and gold gear.
    cmon now. you loved your high GP after upgrading it with cheese and cheap stuff. dont start hate it now.
    TW/GA Counters Bot - https://discord.gg/jZH44Hb | Discord: SidiousIsPikachu#5768
  • JN_Eckle wrote: »
    This is a major problem, and easy to correct. As a someone who chased GP to benefit my guild in earlier levels in TW, I am completely at a disadvantage as the minimum number of zetas i am down against my opponents in Grand Arena has been this one, 12. Most are at least 19 more.

19 Zetas! Think about that, in many GAs there are only 33 total opponents, there is absolutely no way for me to win a GA round unless the opponent forgets to set their defense.

I suppose ship matchmaking is also an issue, but i've never gotten there, so who knows?

Here is how it needs to be corrected.:

1) Separate ship and character GP. Since 3/4 GA rounds should be characters, if at all character GP should be given the most weight. This should probably be enough, but if there are still issues with ships, than ship GP should be weighted differently than character GP.

2) For character GP, multiply total character GP times the number of zetas a player has; while that will certainly be a HUGE number, no one will ever see this number as this is only what is used for matchmaking.

Thats it.

As a for instance, I am currently in the first round on my GA:

My opponent:

Total GP: 5,189,190
    Ship GP: 2,098,863
    Character GP: 3,090,935
    Zetas: 63

Me:

Total GP: 5,193,014
    Ship GP: 2,077,672
    Character GP: 3,115,342
    Zetas: 51

I have won a grand total of 1 battle in 6 attempts, I dont have any worthwhile teams left. My opponent has dropped 3 total battles, but has beat all of my toons.

I kept a mirror match revan for their revan team, his revan has 3 zetas, mine two. Can't even dispatch one character, and I have some great mods on my arena team revan team.

Th4 way they are currently matchmaking, I have a higher GP, but I'm not even close. Under my math, my opponent would have 194, 728, 905 matchmaking points. My team has 158, 882, 442. At a difference of roughly 36,000,000 my opponent is basically 23% more powerful than I am!!!!!

Whats worse, it will only get worse for me since Grand Arena winners are rewarded with zetas.

My method is more fair; what will likely happen is that deep teams and heavily zetaed teams may get matched up together only in the worst case, but this should be okay. In most cases, deep teams will be matched against other deep teams.

It really needs to change soon. GA has the possibility of being the best section of the game, but I'm not even bothering to try to finish this one. Might as well not bother setting teams. I'm going to try to set weak teams on defense, and keep back all of my zeta'd characters for offense, but I'm still SOL if i run into his ton of zetas on defense.

Change it CG, it should be easy.

I completely agree with your first recommendation. The recent change to matchmaking is a big step in the right direction, but ship heavy people are still hindered in GA’s that have ships. It’s actually gotten worse since Han’s falcon came out. Now if you have that plus 1 other good fleet, you can easily get max points for ships. People like me with deep ship rosters have 0 ways to use the deep roster for an advantage.

The second recommendation is a bit odd though. Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t the GP from 1 zeta roughly the same as 2 high gear levels? That seems fair if you’re selecting the right zetas (no Paos or vet chewie).

For the OP, you’ll suffer for a while with your inflated roster, but just start retooling now. Focus gear and high speed mods on all legendaries and heroes and then build teams around them. That’s my strategy and it’s made me competitive in GA despite seeing a 200k-300k disadvantage in squad GP every round.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    JN_Eckle wrote: »
    This is a major problem, and easy to correct.

[...]

[...]

You're assuming that the match-making at aims at creating even matches. I don't think it is.

You call even matches fair. I believe it's fair that players, who developed a stronger roster for GA have a better chance of winning the top rank rewards. They wouldn't, if they are matched against other players with strong rosters only.

• Waqui wrote: »
    TAZZZOOO wrote: »

You benefitted from your inflated GP in TB. Enjoy! :-)

Your inflated GP always had the same impact in TW as it now does in GA.

Inflated GP never once helped TB. Stop being silly.

TB did reward you for having platoon units, but a level 1 max star character does not account for much if any inflation in TW or GA.

In fact, Inflated GP has never really served to be a huge boon outside of TW where the over all GP set the brackets for rewards, you could boost into a category where even loosing handed out decent rewards.

If anything, up until TW there was simply never a punishment for enjoying characters that weren't the current power house meta, we were encouraged to play our favorite heroes and have fun with them. It was okay, once upon a time, to throw excess materials out there and gear characters cause you wanted to try them out. Something that's become increasingly more punished with TW starting to shine a light on the issue and GA throwing it under the microscope.

Now, I agree with you that I don't thin GA is designed to be fair at all. I think it's designed to promote the new folks with leaner rosters and more informed choices, they are more apt to spend money than those who have played longer and are likely to move on.

But let's stop pretending like GP inflation was ever a huge reward like the 3-6 zeta mats a month you can get from GA. Or that it allowed you to enjoy a mode of the game no one else could even complete a stage of like GA is currently doing to people with it's matchmaking.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Inflated GP never once helped TB. Stop being silly.

What? TB is the primary argument anybody had to inflate GP. GP from deployments is essential to maximizing stars. What are you on about?
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    I do have some sympathy for the people that fluffed only because of TB. I think when TB first came out and we were new to running it, a lot of people were saying to boost your bottom to help with deployment.

I think that was harmful advice and I wished the idea hadn't been passed around. First, I think it was advice aimed at whales and competitive players who could afford to burn resources just to inflate GP. I don't think this always came across and a lot of people who couldn't really afford to spend resources that way did so thinking they would help their guild.

Second, it was advice for those top guilds that were rushing to complete everything right away. I think more people needed to realize the TB stars grind was the long haul, and even for this game mode resources would've been better spent on good teams and mods to max every combat mission and earn more points that way. And platoons, well, that's another story altogether. While it's great trying to fill those, I also think it's maybe a situation where having a strong team is better than a full platoon.

And then there's hindsight: TW and GA actually penalize you for having partially formed characters.

On the other hand, if you fluffed because you're a collector...well, I don't know what to say. Obviously filling out your collection evenly for the sake of it is a part of the game that gives you enjoyment. You didn't seem to care as much about being competitive before, why suddenly now? I get that it is not fun to lose...but if you weren't playing to be competitive, you must have realized you wouldn't actually be competitive?
  • Where does it end? If they fix your so called “inflated GP” problem, you are going to complain your opponent has superior mods. Then something else, and then something else again. Basically you won’t stop complaining until you are given an opponent you can auto every match to victory.

Rip all mods off of your less used characters, especially pilots whose ships you are not going to use before locking into GA then. That’s the best you can do to counter this unfair disadvantage you are facing for inflating your GP.
  • Mods are a somewhat different story, I can 100% accept the fact that some players have better luck when finding the right mod. Take arena for example, it currently a house of mirrors with the only difference between Revan teams being the mods. And that doesn't bother me so much.

But the current formula for matchmaking in GA obviously has some kind of problem if an average* Joe like myself with 2+ years of experience still hasn't managed to win a single round.
  • Agree with @crzydroid about having sympathy in some of these cases, but if you looked at the TP math, it became pretty obvious pretty early that getting that last 100k from wave 6 was going to be a more efficient use of resources resources than the equivalent spend on GP.

All that said, it's very difficult to come up with an algorithm that picks "fair" match ups. First and foremost because it will be impossible to get consensus on "fair".

Multiply GP by zetas, but not all zetas are created equal, so assign a zeta multiplier, but even then they have a 3 zeta Revan and mine's only 2, not fair. And what about mods - my opponents mods are much better than mine, they clearly hit the mod lottery with all of those 20+ speed secondaries, matching should account for my mod differential. Wait, look at all of those G12 plus pieces my opponent has, it's not fair, my guild is full of whales and I can't finish top 10 in STR and now I'm being matched against people that can...etc., etc. etc.

Everybody will draw a different line. I know when I get beat in GA, it just lets me know where I need to work on my roster if it's important that I win GA tournaments.

• This is funny, because CG has specifically stated they want to reward people for investing in characters, and now we're being hurt because we invested in characters.
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • CaptainRex wrote: »
    This is funny, because CG has specifically stated they want to reward people for investing in characters, and now we're being hurt because we invested in characters.
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    This is funny, because CG has specifically stated they want to reward people for investing in characters, and now we're being hurt because we invested in characters.

You can invest in characters and not get hurt for doing it if you invest by faction, and slowly enough you can gear them and mod them up :)
  • CaptainRex wrote: »

It does depend on your definition of 'investing' when it comes to characters.
    Some will say lvl 50, G6 for everything in their roster is 'investing' in their characters
    Others will say lvl 85, G11/12 is what they consider an 'investment' for a character