Marquee Merchandising Changes [MEGA]

Replies

• Tokke wrote: »
    Not a fan of this, you are just forcing crystal purchases on us. Blatant money grab.

They are realising that alot of people are clearing 800-900 crystals a day from arena payouts and thus are spending less on crystals and farming required characters faster.

This way they increase their revenue

Meanwhile, newer players who aren't F2P buy crystals either way. Or at least I bought a lot early on. To them, this might actually seem like a good deal compared to 11 bucks for 1340 crystals. But at this point, with a daily crystal income of at least 610, I'm not exactly thrilled either to say the least.

The point is that this wont entice anyone to purchase. Theres no discount at all. People that are gonna buy the crystals will buy them regardless. This does nothing but push people away from buying the packs and frustrates them when they see how out of touch EA is. I wont be buying these packs and while I just kind of shrug it off I'd bet a lot of people will get upset when you add this on top of their many other foul ups. They lost my money after the Capt han crystal debacle. They're lucky this is star wars.

I dont think anyone believes CG is doing this to please their users. The only movitation is to increase Revenue, and it will happen for sure. Some people easily spend 100s of dollars regularly. They dont care about paying 10 dollar extra on certain packs now.
    Even the ones saying they stop spending, i dont believe they will really do. Seeing your competitors get an edge over you, will just push you to spend too.
    If 80-90%+ of previous spenders buy packs at 200% price, this will generate huge money.
  • Is this a way to make the anti-revan more expensive than Revan himself?
  • I used to spend a lot of money on this game but didn't for well over a year while I was feeling the burn out and taking it easy. I only recently started spending money on the game again and buying the $10 packs to speed up farming for new characters. This change just makes me want to finally quit. But I guess that's the problem. Long time players/spenders are leaving every day and those of us that are still here are being milked to try and make for it. This is only going to push more people away though and prices will just keep going up.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Tokke wrote: »
    Not a fan of this, you are just forcing crystal purchases on us. Blatant money grab.

They are realising that alot of people are clearing 800-900 crystals a day from arena payouts and thus are spending less on crystals and farming required characters faster.

This way they increase their revenue

Meanwhile, newer players who aren't F2P buy crystals either way. Or at least I bought a lot early on. To them, this might actually seem like a good deal compared to 11 bucks for 1340 crystals. But at this point, with a daily crystal income of at least 610, I'm not exactly thrilled either to say the least.

The point is that this wont entice anyone to purchase. Theres no discount at all. People that are gonna buy the crystals will buy them regardless. This does nothing but push people away from buying the packs and frustrates them when they see how out of touch EA is. I wont be buying these packs and while I just kind of shrug it off I'd bet a lot of people will get upset when you add this on top of their many other foul ups. They lost my money after the Capt han crystal debacle. They're lucky this is star wars.

I dont think anyone believes CG is doing this to please their users. The only movitation is to increase Revenue, and it will happen for sure. Some people easily spend 100s of dollars regularly. They dont care about paying 10 dollar extra on certain packs now.
    Even the ones saying they stop spending, i dont believe they will really do. Seeing your competitors get an edge over you, will just push you to spend too.
    If 80-90%+ of previous spenders buy packs at 200% price, this will generate huge money.

I dont know the motivations, but it is possible that this doesnt have to do with increased revenue. They could be trying to balance revanue, if they decrease the number of marquees. Then introduce other "events" to release ships/toon that require crystals, like the chase we are seeing now.

I dont think anyone that put this change out was expecting to see the same number of sales if they double the price, and by including crystals they would also be decreasing the sales there also, so at best this move would have been expected to equal out and then they will add the new sink that may increase crystal spendature. But this move by itself cant be expected to increase revenue.
  • They're lucky this is star wars.

Man, you've got that right! I assure you this simply wouldn't be tolerated for 2 seconds in Looney Tunes World of Mayhem! :smiley:

• You know, if they had just added the $10 in crystals to make the bundle more attractive, that would have been a great reason for more people to buy. "So, we buy the crystals, and get the marquee stuff for 'free'? Awesome!" Or even as a bonus to people buying the bundle, more incentive to buy it.

But this? Just hiking the price and adding the crystals to justify it? No. If people wanted the marquee bundle, and the crystals... they'd buy them separably. (And save a cent in the process, for those being truly nitpicky.) This is just a **** tactic to raise the price of marquee bundles by adding something people don't want to buy. It's a way to make obscenely expensive characters even *MORE* obscenely expensive.

Hard pass.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I dont know the motivations, but it is possible that this doesnt have to do with increased revenue. They could be trying to balance revanue, if they decrease the number of marquees. Then introduce other "events" to release ships/toon that require crystals, like the chase we are seeing now.

I dont think anyone that put this change out was expecting to see the same number of sales if they double the price, and by including crystals they would also be decreasing the sales there also, so at best this move would have been expected to equal out and then they will add the new sink that may increase crystal spendature. But this move by itself cant be expected to increase revenue.

Of course this is to increase revenue! Otherwise they would just maintain the status quo.

There is a certain subset of players that buys all the $10 packs, but no crystals. In this case, CG is forcing them to either forgo these packs, or to also buy crystals. (At a rate of 134 crystals per dollar).

There's another subset of players that buys the packs, but also buys crystals (ostensibly in Vault form - 15,710 c for $99.99 = 157 crystals per dollar). Now if those players keep buying the packs, over 10 packs they will spend the same as 10 old packs plus one vault, but they will only receive 13,500 crystals instead of 15,710. So in order to maintain the same crystal quantities, those players will have to also purchase another 2,200 crystals (halfway between the $10 and $20 crystal purchases). So for every ten marquees, they are requiring those players to either receive fewer crystals, or spend an extra ~$15.

I'm sure they've got tables of data that indicate how much of the player base is likely to stop buying these packs vs continue buying them, and they would only make this change if the math looked favorable. If CG thought they would make less money through this change, they wouldn't make it.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    jkray622 wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

Of course this is to increase revenue! Otherwise they would just maintain the status quo.

There is a certain subset of players that buys all the $10 packs, but no crystals. In this case, CG is forcing them to either forgo these packs, or to also buy crystals. (At a rate of 134 crystals per dollar).

There's another subset of players that buys the packs, but also buys crystals (ostensibly in Vault form - 15,710 c for $99.99 = 157 crystals per dollar). Now if those players keep buying the packs, over 10 packs they will spend the same as 10 old packs plus one vault, but they will only receive 13,500 crystals instead of 15,710. So in order to maintain the same crystal quantities, those players will have to also purchase another 2,200 crystals (halfway between the $10 and $20 crystal purchases). So for every ten marquees, they are requiring those players to either receive fewer crystals, or spend an extra ~$15.

I'm sure they've got tables of data that indicate how much of the player base is likely to stop buying these packs vs continue buying them, and they would only make this change if the math looked favorable. If CG thought they would make less money through this change, they wouldn't make it.

Or they are possibly listening to feedback and are going to slow their roll on marquees but need a way to balance that income. Since they cant just double the price (I guess they could have), they offer crystals (free to them and little consequence) to offset the perceived cost increase and not leave the player base feeling like the price is now double.

There are more than 2 subsets of p2p players.

Yes they have the data and from that they figure this wont hurt them, and from the new data they will see if it falls even or in their favor. But this is not a simple price increase, especially if we see less marquees launched this year, which is what I suspect, but who knows.
    Or they are possibly listening to feedback and are going to slow their roll on marquees but need a way to balance that income. Since they cant just double the price (I guess they could have), they offer crystals (free to them and little consequence) to offset the perceived cost increase and not leave the player base feeling like the price is now double.

Yes they have the data and from that they figure this wont hurt them, and from the new data they will see if it falls even or in their favor. But this is not a simple price increase, especially if we see less marquees launched this year, which is what I suspect, but who knows.

I think if they were doubling the price, but wanted to "offer crystals" it would have been at a slightly higher rate than the 1350. Offer 1800c for the extra $10. That way, players look at it as a "good deal" instead of an offer to purchase crystals at one of the higher available purchase prices.

In the end, their cash influx will be the decider. They likely didn't come to this decision on a whim, so they aren't going to change it just because players complain on the forum. They will revert this if the overall spending on the game goes down as a result of this change.
  • Witness
    48 posts Member
    edited February 2019

“But this is not a simple price increase...” actually that’s exactly what it is. If they are rolling out less marquees as you’ve hinted then they need to see the same revenue with less chances. To do that they increase the price. And you acknowledged that handing out crystals is of little consequence which in turn says they are now charging $20 for the marquee pack and throwing in crystals.

Please stop and just be honest with us. You are nothing more than a mouth piece for CG and insulting us by standing up for them and trying to deflect or distort the perception of what they are doing. If it’s CG or EA calling this shot it’s messed up. The feedback here is clear. And the intent of this move is ethically wrong in my book. So stop trying to cover it up
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • DistavioNi wrote: »
    Where’s the dislike button??!

There isn't one but we can dislike this change by NOT buying this crap...
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

I think if they were doubling the price, but wanted to "offer crystals" it would have been at a slightly higher rate than the 1350. Offer 1800c for the extra $10. That way, players look at it as a "good deal" instead of an offer to purchase crystals at one of the higher available purchase prices.

In the end, their cash influx will be the decider. They likely didn't come to this decision on a whim, so they aren't going to change it just because players complain on the forum. They will revert this if the overall spending on the game goes down as a result of this change.

I agree if they wanted to seem like a deal they should have offered more, but who said they wanted it to seem like a better deal, and not just a simple price offset.

Absolutely, a deciding factor will be the outcome of the choices made with this update. They absolutely will gauge this with feedback in mind, but the forum is only a subset of the player base, so what is seen here doesnt mean this is the only voices out there.
    Or they are possibly listening to feedback and are going to slow their roll on marquees but need a way to balance that income.

And that's totally reasonable and can be justified (not that their existence/business would be in jeopardy with a few hundred thousand dollars less, but I guess EA would go mad that they don't milk people as much as so far).
    Since they cant just double the price (I guess they could have), they offer crystals (free to them and little consequence) to offset the perceived cost increase and not leave the player base feeling like the price is now double.
    They can't just double the price. No one ever in the history of mankind was happy about price increase (save merchants and stakeholders). That's not something you can shove down in people's throat. Marketing isn't just about numbers, it's also about psychology. If they would've offered more than just two packs together, many people would still complain about the price increase, but many more people would feel that this is actually not that bad deal. Like you said, crystals are free to them (not that shards are not free). It wouldn't cost them anything, and it wouldn't hurt their crystal sales.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Witness wrote: »

“But this is not a simple price increase...” actually that’s exactly what it is. If they are rolling out less marquees as you’ve hinted then they need to see the same revenue with less chances. To do that they increase the price. And you acknowledged that handing out crystals is of little consequence which in turn says they are now charging $20 for the marquee pack and throwing in crystals.

Please stop and just be honest with us. You are nothing more than a mouth piece for CG and insulting us by standing up for them and trying to deflect or distort the perception of what they are doing. If it’s CG or EA calling this shot it’s messed up. The feedback here is clear. And the intent of this move is ethically wrong in my book. So stop trying to cover it up

I am not hinting at anything, I am a player voicing my thoughts on the subject based on possible things that I suspect from the information at hand. I'm not standing up for anyone, I honestly believe that we will see other ways of them launching toons into the game and that this will result in less marquee events. With that in mind and them reevaluating the packs this choice was made.

Again if this was a simple price increase, there wouldnt be anything else added to the pack, they would just go up in price. We also wouldn't be seeing a possible lower rate of marquee events with new events to release toons. But again, I'm just thinking out loud based on the information we have been giving.
  • I always bought the $9.99 packs, they were all that I ever bought since the daily crystal shipment was cancelled. I don't care for crystals or I'd buy them, and there's no way I'm spending $20 for shards. Another paying customer's money lost.
    I agree if they wanted to seem like a deal they should have offered more, but who said they wanted it to seem like a better deal, and not just a simple price offset.
    As I previously said, it's psychology. If their marketers don't know that, they're incompetent.

Then they clearly arent listening. We asked for less marques and more legendary / journeys... not a price increase.

We wanted the marquees to have meaning.... not cost more.

As to your offer crystals to compensate for doubling the price... they failed. It feels like a double price and here we will give you this free thing to make up for it.

If i dont want or need the free thing it doesnt matter if its value is = to the price increase. Its basically forcing me to buy something i dont want so tehy can justify doubling the price

They have to make money.... but this is abusing the community.

What they need to do is find a new creative way to charge the $10 on something else thats not existing... perhaps a zeta mat pack... something we could all use and find value in. Not jacking a price up and giving us something we didnt ask for.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    Literally, literally all they had to do was add crystals and not increase the price and they would have sold so so so many more of the marque packs.

By simply adding then exact amount of crystals, and then doubling the price to match that exact amount of crystals, and saying its also a "favor" to us, is how you make people hate you.
    Like a punch in the face really, we can't have nice things when it comes to prices.

We do a Herioc sith run, we can over half of what you get in the G12.5 packs. You get 3 pieces for 100 dollars over here. one hundred. dollars.

Obviously they get away with these prices because people still pay for them, for some reason. So by that logic it goes to show that even with this increase in price they still expecting the sell them regardless.

We all need to stop buying the dregs that they are trying to sell us, and so we can all benefit.
  • There's also the point that since G12 and 6* mods, the value of 4* has been reduced significantly. There's a huge divide at 7*. You've got raids, g12 and 6* mods, all gate due to rarity. Those that bought the 9.99pack did it for more than the "edge" (since it was so slim). Plus the difference in farming (3* or 4* to 7*) is a 12% extra time. So the reason most spent it was the low price point, support the game, etc.
    Whales bought them because it was cheaper (if you buy vaults at 15,710gems/100USD). The 9.99 pack was the equivalent of 53gems/shard, while the Marquee Pack is about 160gems/shard. My guess is that the new mega pack will give slightly better odds (around 10%) to offset the difference, and keep the whales happy.
    The rest, will probably not buy it. I'm a dolphin/whale (vault/month + 9.99 packs) and now I'm not buying, not even the vault. This has been totally alienating for me. But I guess a 110USD/month client is not something they are interested in.
    Or they are possibly listening to feedback

Come now. They've gone ahead with every idea that people have told them would be awful. They've nerfed chars and flat out lied to our faces saying they weren't nerfed. They rolled out the "blacklist" TW despite over a hundred combined pages of people telling them it was a bad idea.

The only use they have for feedback is toilet paper, and we all know it.

• Have bought quite a few of the £9.99 packs in the past - Sion, Fallen Bastila, Jango and I’m certain a couple more but I certainly won’t be getting them anymore at £19.99
  • Not 100% free to play here... But the only thing I ever spent money on was just eliminated. Good strategy.
  • Spang
    286 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Seriously, there is one thing I absolutely don't understand.

Why does CG act in 90% of the time in a way that people feel as total rip-off? Why can't they just try the other way for once? I mean everything in this game must be designed once (well, except the nerfs), then all of the stuffs are available unlimitedly. No production costs, no shipping costs, no shelf costs (I'm not a native English speaker, and I can't remember it's name right now; I'm speaking about the method when a company pays the stores to put it's products on eye-level on the shelves, or put them on separate stands at the end of the lines/in the middle of the store). It would cost them nothing to be nice, but they would benefit from great PR.

Have they never heard of the famous saying of Saint Francis de Sales: "You can catch more flies with a spoonful of honey than with a hundred barrels of vinegar." ?
  • Hard pass. That'll be the end of pack sales for this one.
  • xwjjc7lny1jv.jpg

Wow $20 that's a poor decision CG.
  • In marketing classes, we were taught that impulse purchases have a certain price point to be effective. CG/EA just priced themselves right out of the market for my impulses.
  • chalupa452
    8 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I have bought several Marque packs before for certain Characters. I planned on buying the droideka pack, but for $20 i will not be buying any more marque packs. Way to make me rethink continueing to play your game CG. Oh and how long are you going top continue to put RotJ Luke Skywalker on the cover/intro art but not include him in the game or even give a hint if we will be getting him in the next year. Get on your stuff CG this is Bull and you know it. I've said it before i'll say it again if we get a 3rd Rey before we get RotJ Luke im quitting this game.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • Why would you go and make it worse?
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • Monel wrote: »
    crushnmove wrote: »
    There is literally no reason to spend money on this game. My spend total still sits at $0.00. Do I have the greatest deck? No. Am I having fun? Yes. Do I care that they doubled a pack price? *checks wallet of money not spent on EA/CG* No.

That's great that you are ftp and it's great that you are having a good time playing. However, you really shouldn't advocate 0 spending. If 0 spending actually occured there would be no game. You should actually be encouraging others to spend so you can keep having a blast in a game you like that's costs you nothing, lol.

I suppose the good news is I only need half as many players to spend now. ;)