Kyber Crystals

Ok so I’m reading Catalyst right now (the prequel book to Rogue One) and kyber crystals are part of the main storyline. Basically, the empire is trying get as many as they can and also unlock their secrets, obviously to power the Death Star laser as we saw in Rogue One.

But here’s my stuck point... I seem to remember a Clone Wars arc where Ahsoka and Yoda took some younglings to a certain planet so they could get their own kyber crystals and build their own lightsabers. In that episode, they couldn’t actually see the kyber crystals until a crystal essentially “called out” to them. So why is the Empire as well as Galen Erso, Krennic, all the scientists, etc. able to see the crystals?

Maybe I’m not remembering the story arc right?

Replies

• I feel kyber crystals could be used as both. They power lightsabers, but the empire was using them for a mega weapon. Think of it like a massive lightsaber.
  • Ok so I’m reading Catalyst right now (the prequel book to Rogue One) and kyber crystals are part of the main storyline. Basically, the empire is trying get as many as they can and also unlock their secrets, obviously to power the Death Star laser as we saw in Rogue One.

But here’s my stuck point... I seem to remember a Clone Wars arc where Ahsoka and Yoda took some younglings to a certain planet so they could get their own kyber crystals and build their own lightsabers. In that episode, they couldn’t actually see the kyber crystals until a crystal essentially “called out” to them. So why is the Empire as well as Galen Erso, Krennic, all the scientists, etc. able to see the crystals?

I don’t really know, but this is just speculation spoiler warning, depending on where you are in catalyst:
    When the Jedi were finding the crystals illum, I guess they had to pry them from their natural habitat. They were the first ones to touch or see them. When the scientists like krennic and Galen were seeing them, they were using the crystals that those Jedi already found, taken from their lightsabers. I suppose that because the crystals were already taken/chosen, it means that anyone can see them. I’m Rogue One, every one could see jyn’s khyber crystal on her necklace. Hope that clears things up.
  • Georgemi6 wrote: »
    Ok so I’m reading Catalyst right now (the prequel book to Rogue One) and kyber crystals are part of the main storyline. Basically, the empire is trying get as many as they can and also unlock their secrets, obviously to power the Death Star laser as we saw in Rogue One.

I don’t really know, but this is just speculation spoiler warning, depending on where you are in catalyst:
    When the Jedi were finding the crystals illum, I guess they had to pry them from their natural habitat. They were the first ones to touch or see them. When the scientists like krennic and Galen were seeing them, they were using the crystals that those Jedi already found, taken from their lightsabers. I suppose that because the crystals were already taken/chosen, it means that anyone can see them. I’m Rogue One, every one could see jyn’s khyber crystal on her necklace. Hope that clears things up.

That actually makes a ton of sense. You’re right, the empire is not going out and mining worlds and finding Kyber . They’re taking everything from the Jedi Temple‘s. At one point in the book, Galen‘s wife goes to a planet to try and find some Kyber And is not successful. Maybe that’s because she can’t see it because she is not a Jedi. Although, she is force sensitive, so maybe I’ll have to keep reading…Thanks!
  • In KOTOR Online game, there is a crystal component in each lightsaber that gives them their color. These crystals are often available from vendors who are not necessarily force sensitive. So they must be able to see them to sell them right? Sorry maybe this isn't exactly related but it seems like these vendors had tons of crystals available, so there should be tons of old used crystals around for the empire to find.
  • Georgemi6 wrote: »

That actually makes a ton of sense. You’re right, the empire is not going out and mining worlds and finding Kyber . They’re taking everything from the Jedi Temple‘s. At one point in the book, Galen‘s wife goes to a planet to try and find some Kyber And is not successful. Maybe that’s because she can’t see it because she is not a Jedi. Although, she is force sensitive, so maybe I’ll have to keep reading…Thanks!

But in Rogue One it specifically states that the Empire is mining kyber crystals from there don't they? Maybe i'm mis-remembering.
  • But the Empire is mining kyber crystals from Jedha. So I don't think they are only for force sensitive people.
  • The crystals aren't invisible to those without Force sensitivities. Saw Gerrera, Sabine, and Ezra found a giant one in a cargo ship in one Rebels episode. They could all see it, but only Ezra could hear it.
    It would seem finding the crystals is the hard part, not seeing them.
    The younglings likely saw all the crystals, but only choose one that calls to them. Think of the crystal as being somehow "tuned" to an individual's particular Force aura, if you will.
  • The crystals aren't invisible to those without Force sensitivities. Saw Gerrera, Sabine, and Ezra found a giant one in a cargo ship in one Rebels episode. They could all see it, but only Ezra could hear it.
    The younglings likely saw all the crystals, but only choose one that calls to them. Think of the crystal as being somehow "tuned" to an individual's particular Force aura, if you will.

Yeah. The crystal calls to the jedi, they don't really find any crystal. As for the empire, they were just taking them all.
  • But the Empire is mining kyber crystals from Jedha. So I don't think they are only for force sensitive people.

The Empire isnt mining on Jedha, I think they are “looting” the temple there basically.
    The crystals aren't invisible to those without Force sensitivities. Saw Gerrera, Sabine, and Ezra found a giant one in a cargo ship in one Rebels episode. They could all see it, but only Ezra could hear it.

Yeah. The crystal calls to the jedi, they don't really find any crystal. As for the empire, they were just taking them all.

But in this case, the crystals have already been found by Jedi. The first explanation makes sense. The crystals are found by the Jedi after they are called to it, and then others can see them.
  • In the unfinished CW episodes, there was a large arc surrounding Palps trying to get Kybers from Utapau.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!

The Empire isnt mining on Jedha, I think they are “looting” the temple there basically.
    The crystals aren't invisible to those without Force sensitivities. Saw Gerrera, Sabine, and Ezra found a giant one in a cargo ship in one Rebels episode. They could all see it, but only Ezra could hear it.

But in this case, the crystals have already been found by Jedi. The first explanation makes sense. The crystals are found by the Jedi after they are called to it, and then others can see them.

I don't think so. The crystals are physical entities, and they vibrate at a specific frequency to "call" out in the force to the jedi. Outside of a cloaking device, has any other objects been invisible to sentient being or reveals itself to one group of people? The sith have shrouded themselves from the jedi in the PT, but yoda could still see Papa Palp.
  • The sith have shrouded themselves from the jedi in the PT, but yoda could still see Papa Palp.

Huh?
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    The sith have shrouded themselves from the jedi in the PT, but yoda could still see Papa Palp.

Huh?

He could see his physical form, but not that he was sith
  • Ok, was confused lol
    Why wasn't Cobb Vanth shards a reward for the Krayt Dragon raid? Why wasn't Endor Gear Luke shards a reward for the Speeder Bike raid?
  • LordDirt wrote: »
    Ok, was confused lol

Sorry about the confusion. I get a sentient being being able to hide their physical form, but I don't think an inanimate object would be able to hide themselves from something other than force sensitive beings. To me that implies it possesses a will through the force and if it does, why would the crystals reveal themselves to the jedi or the sith, since they represent an extreme of the force?
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Perhaps crystal caves where Kyber crystals grow (like on Illum in TCW) they grow alongside other forms of crystals. SO it maybe possible to see all the crystals but impossible (for one not attuned tot he force in any way) to determine which crystal are Kyber.

Additionally, another thought may be that as the lightsaber is an intimate tool of each Jedi, perhaps specific kyber crystals speak to those specific Jedi. So if anyone could see kyber crystals, the Jedi younglings when contructing their first lightsaber, must find a specific crystal that calls to them - like a force bond almost.

Not sure exactly where this fits into cannon or not, but in the original Clone Wars animated cartoon - the separatists target the Illum crystal cave and blow it up.

This is also seen in KOTOR 2 when the player finds a crystal specifically only attuned to the player's alignment and power.

But yet, as for Jedha - it was established (I believe) that the EMpire was merely pillaging the stockpile of kyber crystals at that temple's location.