Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• jayjonbeach
    697 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Liath wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how the scoring between the 8 teams works for the whole 3 rounds I don't see that anywhere?

Is it a ladder system, or the first 4 teams that win are playing for top 4, others for 5 -8, or is it just whoever has the most banners after all 3 rounds wins?

It’s done by wins. If you win 3 matches you get the top prize. If you win 2 matches you get the 2-4 bracket prize. (Within 2 to 4 it’s ranked by GP but that’s irrelevant because all 3 people with 2 wins get the same prize.)

Thanks for the reply. Hmmm. I really like the GA event so far (this is my first time in it, certainly more interesting and fun than Squad Arena), but I think at least a couple of things could be tweaked:

- Have 2nd place & 5th place have their own prize tier, tie broken by number of banners earned.
    (In this case, banners should also be earned at end of match for any territories that hold)
    - If a tie in a match happens (should be uncommon) something other than GP, or lowest GP if anything.
    - Shorten it somehow. The trouble with only setting defense once for entire GA is it takes away from the strategy of setting D according to what you think each opponent will do, so not sure best way to shorten it, but a week is a long time for this event

Not sure what they could use for the match tie, if both players have same number of tries, and same number of surviving toons etc but there must be something better than GP though?
    Post edited by jayjonbeach on
  • The way it's set up, 2nd place doesn't really mean anything. It would almost be better if they removed the numbering.

You either won 3-0, 2-1, 1-2 or 0-3 and you get prizes accordingly.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    Gannon wrote: »
    Streve wrote: »
    I do not have Revan nor am I going to spend hundreds of dollars just to get him. Grand Arena really sucks when my opponent did spend the dollars to get him. It's an automatic loss for me.

He's free.. There was more than enough time to get him.. You're not doing something right if that's your complaint.
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Rebel73 wrote: »
    Droideka wrote: »
    This is the most brain dead layout I have ever seen. The ship territory is in the back and very irrelevant, because it is in the hardest to reach territory. Grand Arena is back to punishing players who focuses on ships, because what good are these ship territory if you need the ground teams to reach them first?

I believe matchmaking is, as much as possible, done separately on both character GP and ship GP, i.e. you'll be matched with people who have the same ratio of character to ship GP as you do. Most people in my current league have almost identical points in both. I've focused on ships quite heavily (regularly #1 on my shard - or I was until OT Falcon anyway :D) and I am not at a disadvantage in GA any more.
    Nope. It is based on total GP without regard to the fleet/squad breakdown. I know that because I analyzed it for the two 3v3 squad-only GAs. The spread in total GP across my brackets was a fraction of one percent while the spread in squad GP was up to 45%.

According to the latest official road ahead post, future squad-only GAs will be matched on character GP rather that total GP.
    The ship zone being in the rear just adds a layer of strategy. For instance, I've put my strongest two defensive teams in the lower zone and also kept a couple of strong teams for offense, knowing that if they punch through the just-about-ok teams I've set to defend my top row, my ships will definitely hold. Whereas I have the firepower to take their top row entirely because I've saved some good teams for offense and then I will take their ship zone too. I have enough ship power to both defend and attack with confidence, so I am going to win.
    The ship zone being in the front adds a layer of strategy.

I hate ships, I would totally be against this. Battles take too long and are very rng heavy even between very similar matchups imo.
    I could get behind ships being on a separate row tho, so nothing is blocked or can 'hide'

So your saying your totally against anything that gives someone else the benefit of having an amazing fleet he can use to hide an area in the back with his weak toons but your not against being able to hide your weak ships or maybe ok, good, or great ships, behind your revan an or traya so he cannot get to the ships...

no, I said exactly what I meant. Ships aren't a major part of the game and don't warrant that kind of use or priority.
  • Gannon wrote: »
    I do not have Revan nor am I going to spend hundreds of dollars just to get him. Grand Arena really sucks when my opponent did spend the dollars to get him. It's an automatic loss for me.

He's free.. There was more than enough time to get him.. You're not doing something right if that's your complaint.
    This is the most brain dead layout I have ever seen. The ship territory is in the back and very irrelevant, because it is in the hardest to reach territory. Grand Arena is back to punishing players who focuses on ships, because what good are these ship territory if you need the ground teams to reach them first?

I believe matchmaking is, as much as possible, done separately on both character GP and ship GP, i.e. you'll be matched with people who have the same ratio of character to ship GP as you do. Most people in my current league have almost identical points in both. I've focused on ships quite heavily (regularly #1 on my shard - or I was until OT Falcon anyway :D) and I am not at a disadvantage in GA any more.
    Nope. It is based on total GP without regard to the fleet/squad breakdown. I know that because I analyzed it for the two 3v3 squad-only GAs. The spread in total GP across my brackets was a fraction of one percent while the spread in squad GP was up to 45%.

According to the latest official road ahead post, future squad-only GAs will be matched on character GP rather that total GP.
    The ship zone being in the rear just adds a layer of strategy. For instance, I've put my strongest two defensive teams in the lower zone and also kept a couple of strong teams for offense, knowing that if they punch through the just-about-ok teams I've set to defend my top row, my ships will definitely hold. Whereas I have the firepower to take their top row entirely because I've saved some good teams for offense and then I will take their ship zone too. I have enough ship power to both defend and attack with confidence, so I am going to win.

I hate ships, I would totally be against this. Battles take too long and are very rng heavy even between very similar matchups imo.
    I could get behind ships being on a separate row tho, so nothing is blocked or can 'hide'

I'm sorry. In Regard to getting Revan for free in adequate time is inaccurate. I know. Been working on it.
  • Streve wrote: »

I'm sorry. In Regard to getting Revan for free in adequate time is inaccurate. I know. Been working on it.

Me too. Got him. For free.

Dk_rek wrote: »

So your saying your totally against anything that gives someone else the benefit of having an amazing fleet he can use to hide an area in the back with his weak toons but your not against being able to hide your weak ships or maybe ok, good, or great ships, behind your revan an or traya so he cannot get to the ships...

no, I said exactly what I meant. Ships aren't a major part of the game and don't warrant that kind of use or priority.

wow !!! LOLtastic

• PattyoLantern
    4 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    [quote/]

no, I said exactly what I meant. Ships aren't a major part of the game and don't warrant that kind of use or priority.[/quote]

uh.... zetas? I really like the 900 crystal days alot more than the 550's
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    [quote/]

There are perks to focusing a handful of good ships, but beyond a useful arena team or two, not really.
    Until there's a ship raid, I'll keep stockpiling all the ship stuff.
    I don't get people who focus completely on ships, but don't even have basic characters.
    [quote/]

There are perks to focusing a handful of good ships, but beyond a useful arena team or two, not really.
    Until there's a ship raid, I'll keep stockpiling all the ship stuff.
    I don't get people who focus completely on ships, but don't even have basic characters.

I dont get people who complain about winning , i guess we all have things we dont understand
  • Please...please....please open grand arena up. I have an “inflated” GP. Yet only 9 characters with gold gear. Why? Because those are the characters I fought using every nasty method available to get raid gear for so I could equip my arena teams...hard to find gear only went to them. Everyone else got equipped with whatever was left over...with a priority going to anything that can unlock anything else. Guess what aparantly my GP means I get to fight 40 gold gear characters? Lowest I have seen so far is 17....with an average in the 20 to 30 range. I guess I should have bought all my characters and not built them up over time. I know some wise guy will say I can still use all my characters. That the match is even. If you play territory wars much you know a well placed top tier team can hold off 20 teams that are not fully geared. Not sure why all the grand arenas are focused on really about 3 to 5 percent of the roster. What makes territory wars so fun is figuring out sneaky ways to use anything. Match ups you never see and trying to figure when to use your best and when to use your worst. We have been begging for more mixed up bonuses, and would like crazy stuff like a light side vs dark side match. Jedi vs sith, whatever just something besides more meta walls were you have no reason to develop 90% of the roster...in fact we are now told NEVER develop the majority of the roster, because you get pushed into a harder bracket...this makes no sense. I want to try different strategies with different teams, not the same stuff with a few teams. If I can develop 4 legit fleets why shouldn’t I? I want to try and experiment with different droid, Ewok, or clone combos why not? I have 1000’s of gear lying around let us use it! Why scare everyone into keeping GP low? Are we not to try all the content in the game so we can get easier matches in grand arena? Crazy!
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Ships, the new easy button.. lol Edict from Emperor no doubt..

Lord Vader...

Yes My Master

We need more players using ships..

Why Master, our Fleets are sufficient?

PLAYERS DO NOT CONCERN ME I NEED A SHIP!

*SIGH* YES MASTER

My reply in my best George Bush Sr. Voice..."Nope.. not gonna do it.."

• Gorem wrote: »
    matchmaking. GP means nothing. WHY do they insist on thinking that GP means anything for matchmaking.

I hate winning all the time because my roster is a billion times better against every single guy I go up against.

usually only one guy in the entire roster I go up against that has anything that resembles what I have or more.

The wierd part is I usually go up against the only actual real fight in the first round, and have won all of them, but this one cause I finally went up against someone who has 3 more entire G12 squads with 4 more squads of Arena level mods. It took a lot for the terrible matchmaking algorithm to finally give me my first loss.

I thought I wrote something last night and didn't remember than I seen it wasn't me and yet you describe my grand arena experience perfectly, until your conclusion. I guess not many people in the 2.1 million. bracket have revan or traya... but I didn't pay for either. so I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is broken. we have same gp. what you did with it is on you my friends :)
  • Ships, the new easy button.. lol Edict from Emperor no doubt..

Lord Vader...

Yes My Master

*SIGH* YES MASTER

2tprur.jpg
    (Bonus points if you can name the movie)
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »

Lord Vader...

Yes My Master

*SIGH* YES MASTER

2tprur.jpg

Looks like Flash Gordon
  • Yup, Flash Gordon, classic CheeseFi from 1980. :D
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Yup, Flash Gordon, classic CheeseFi from 1980. :D

Showing my age since I actually saw it in a theater.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    edited February 2019

Lord Vader...

Yes My Master

*SIGH* YES MASTER

2tprur.jpg

Looks like Flash Gordon

He'll save every one of us.

BTW, the soundtrack alone is worrh watching the movie for....and Max Von Sedow as Ming the Merciless.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »

Lord Vader...

Yes My Master

*SIGH* YES MASTER

2tprur.jpg

Looks like Flash Gordon

He'll save every one of us.

BTW, the soundtrack alone is worrh watching the movie for....and Max Von Sedow as Ming the Merciless.
    Yup, awesome soundtrack by Queen! The movie itself is very campy but good for a chuckle and Max Von Sydow was awesome.
  • Yeah you guys took your time and perfected GA. First guy had 2 solid teams to field. He must have saved his other 2 for offense because he took down only 1 zone. His ships didn't even get to reinforce before I won.

2nd round exact opposite. My 9 zetas to his 26 just for starters. I am able to field 5 teams that are good. He fielded 10 teams were good and imagine his ship power trumped my MAIN fleet by 60k even if I had of made it to his ship zone im sure it would have been over before I could reinforce.

Point is neither of these matches were fun for me and I'm sure the first match wasn't any fun for them either. My second opponent might have had a blast who knows. Point is this is ridiculousness likely far far.far beyond that.

First very few under a certain level gp can even field ten decent team notice I said decent not good, great, or excellent. You have to have an extremely well developed roster to even field ten teams which usually means high level gp. I do not understand CG thought process. I know it can't be hard to code GA where if you fall below or above a set of standards you get put in a category. Starting at 3vs3 and going up to 5vs5.

GA is pathetic one round you could face a noob the next a kraken. Disney needs to hurry up the process of yanking the license from EA because every single SW game is going downhill not just literally but I mean factual as well.
  • My "Players do not concern me.." is an homage to James Earl Jones doing a sound check, and improvised the line as "hemaroids do not concern me I need a ..." instead of the actual " Asteroids do not concern me...".
  • So... not placing defenders, hinders opponent from gaining enough to win. And... CG is working on fixing the problem, but GA is open and players are making use of the loophole. Yep, just another day in the galaxy of loopholes lol
  • So... not placing defenders, hinders opponent from gaining enough to win. And... CG is working on fixing the problem, but GA is open and players are making use of the loophole. Yep, just another day in the galaxy of loopholes lol

What? Not placing “defenders” means you lose. Period.

• I love grand arena, favorite game mode by far. There will always be some mismatches while teams like Revan who have very limited counters exist, but on the whole my only complaint is that we don't have more GA events each month.
  • I guess the good news is, this fiasco with finn, should slow down the GA hate. Lol
  • Cuddlebear wrote: »
    I love grand arena, favorite game mode by far. There will always be some mismatches while teams like Revan who have very limited counters exist, but on the whole my only complaint is that we don't have more GA events each month.

One less counter for Revan now. Thanks CG
    I love grand arena, favorite game mode by far. There will always be some mismatches while teams like Revan who have very limited counters exist, but on the whole my only complaint is that we don't have more GA events each month.

Sure, finn, the side character from a forgotten trash movie, launched 2 years ago, should easily defeat the current top meta, savior of the entire galaxy, besting the Dark Lord himself.
    Get a break.
  • Darth_DeVito
    1231 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Cuddlebear wrote: »

Sure, finn, the side character from a forgotten trash movie, launched 2 years ago, should easily defeat the current top meta, savior of the entire galaxy, besting the Dark Lord himself.
    Get a break.

Finn is a leading character in the two most recent episodes of the main Star Wars saga. Revan was a character in a very dated looking video game from the Windows XP era who has never been canonized. He's licensed fan fiction. Most of us had never heard of him and his ilk until we started playing SWGoH. Savior of the galaxy besting the dark lord, my left sock. And they call Rey a Mary Sue.

Besides, we're talking about a game where the anxious old worrywart C-3PO is a veritable god (not just to Ewoks) who "translates" and "confuses" his opponents to death, while a Jedi Master of Mace Windu's caliber is a useless tank without a taunt. I just watched an Ewok kill Emperor Palpatine by bludgeoning his kneecap, for crying out loud. Nothing really makes sense in this game, and it doesn't have to because it's a Holotable simulation.

Get a break.
    By that logic, anyone with a lightsaber should be able to just one shot anyone without one.
  • how can i see in wich league i am ? and / or how far in the season ?
    i know that each season has 5 leagues
    Bronzium -> Chromium -> Aurodium -> Carbonite -> Kyber
    but i can't find nowhere it is shown in wich season and league we are
  • CLSJedi
    111 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Yup that ∆