Grand Arena MM isn't the problem, the Galactic Power calculation is...

Prev13
Laughed quite a lot when I saw my opponent today has no less than 35 G12's (they have zeta's on nearly all of them)...whilst I have 6.

I've got a bone to pick with the GP calculation mechanic which in my opinion..completely special... why does upgrading a character from 6 stars to 7 stars give 1995 GP (and almost no increase in actual stats), while upgrading a character up a gear level gives massive boosts to stats, health/ protection etc and barely any increase in GP!?!?

There is NO logic to say this is a sensible calculation. CG, I am sure if you used actual character stats as a basis of GP you'd end up with far fewer complaints customer side. I'll accept it might be a little bit more challenging from the coding side but surely it makes sense to determine actual character power through their actual stats. It is a pretty meaningless figure right now.

As a suggestion.... if GP of a toon was determined just their primary stats. EG. Each primary attribute (Strength/ Agility/ Tactics) is worth 5 GP for simplicities sake*

*(my quick analysis reveals most characters have a value of around 6-7 if you divide toon GP by the sum of these 3 stats...for simplicities sake I've chosen 5.)

When it comes to valuing zeta and normal abilities...I guess just keep that the same as it is...

I'd also suggest that any toon under G7 shouldn't be counted...because lets be honest, no toons (even at G7) are actually useful and can be reasonable used in a GA fight. They're redundant and sit on the bench like a sack of potatoes.

The opponent I had before this had a ridiculous number of level 85 7 star characters, a lot of them G5-7. He didn't even bother fighting against me.

Replies

• It is a bit silly that a fully geared up and max modded Ugnaught is worth the same as a fully geared up and max modded First Order Executioner. I'd be interested in seeing how many times the Ugnaught would win that 1-on-1 fight!
    A better GP calculation would be a huge improvement.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    The logic behind that jump probably lies in the fact that GP has very little to do with combat effectiveness and is just a measure of how much investment you have made in a toon. Farming shards is a longer investment, and also opens up a lot more "usefulness", as in places you can use them, not actual usefulness as far as gameplay is concerned.
  • To be fair after a point it doesnt matter as much. For example, round 1 my opponent had 69 g12s and several more zetas than me and i have 49 g12s. I barely pulled off a win with 3 points. When everyone usedbis basically g12 it doesnt matter when you get this high up.
  • Scorchy wrote: »
    To be fair after a point it doesnt matter as much. For example, round 1 my opponent had 69 g12s and several more zetas than me and i have 49 g12s. I barely pulled off a win with 3 points. When everyone usedbis basically g12 it doesnt matter when you get this high up.

So we ignore the problems lower down because up top it doesn't matter?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Stenun wrote: »
    It is a bit silly that a fully geared up and max modded Ugnaught is worth the same as a fully geared up and max modded First Order Executioner. I'd be interested in seeing how many times the Ugnaught would win that 1-on-1 fight!

It's not silly at all. The dev team should not be judging our choices. By giving equal things equal values, meaning a toon with 3 abilities maxed out is worth the same as another, they allow our choices to play through.

Who are they to judge if you can make a team work.

GP is a measure of investment that is all, it's not a bad one at that.
  • Stenun wrote: »
    Scorchy wrote: »
    To be fair after a point it doesnt matter as much. For example, round 1 my opponent had 69 g12s and several more zetas than me and i have 49 g12s. I barely pulled off a win with 3 points. When everyone usedbis basically g12 it doesnt matter when you get this high up.

So we ignore the problems lower down because up top it doesn't matter?

Eventually everyone will get that strong too not much they can do unless they rework how gp calculates again, but thats too much work/effort for EA.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    It is a bit silly that a fully geared up and max modded Ugnaught is worth the same as a fully geared up and max modded First Order Executioner. I'd be interested in seeing how many times the Ugnaught would win that 1-on-1 fight!

It's not silly at all. The dev team should not be judging our choices. By giving equal things equal values, meaning a toon with 3 abilities maxed out is worth the same as another, they allow our choices to play through.

They wouldn't be judging our choices. They'd be judging the characters they had designed.
    If they say "Ugnaught is worth X, First Order Executioner is worth Y", that's not a judgement on us but a judgement on the Ugnaught and the Executioner.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »

They wouldn't be judging our choices. They'd be judging the characters they had designed.
    If they say "Ugnaught is worth X, First Order Executioner is worth Y", that's not a judgement on us but a judgement on the Ugnaught and the Executioner.

It's a judgment on the character. They shouldnt do that, or have to redo that when a rework or new character is released that may make them more useful.

They are all of equal value, and the total we spend upgrading is what it is, but our roster is ours and how effective we can use it is on us.
  • Kyno wrote: »

It's a judgment on the character. They shouldnt do that, or have to redo that when a rework or new character is released that may make them more useful.

They are all of equal value, and the total we spend upgrading is what it is, but our roster is ours and how effective we can use it is on us.

I don't see how you are saying that they shouldn't judge the characters?
    The characters are not all equal, that much is obvious. So why not say so?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

That's for the players to decide, not the dev team. They let the players make the choices and have the effectiveness of our roster be on us.
  • More like they create new characters and make us go for those as old ones become obsolete
  • As much as I manipulate gp to gain an advantage in GA, no one should expect a standardized power rating to be adequate with the way CG handles power creep.

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    GP basically only measures how much resources you've put into your roster. How you used those resources only slightly changes your GP, but potentially drastically changes your roster strenght.
    The question remains whether or not how you used your resource should influence matchmaking. Currently it does, which gives a competative advantage to those who've used their resources in a particular way and a disadvantage to those that used them in a different way.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • vksg
    132 posts Member

That's for the players to decide, not the dev team. They let the players make the choices and have the effectiveness of our roster be on us.

Let's just play your game for a second. If it is for the player to decide, how would they be supposed to do it?
    Take Ugnaught and FOX again: A player leveled both to 7* G12. Now he finds out that Ugnaught is of no use while FOX does work for him/her (fictional, might be the other way around for whatever reason).

Now, how can the player show his evaluation/decision? A possible solution would be the player being able to disable/lock the toon for GA so that it neither can't be used nor will be counted towards matchmaking GP (sth similar to the random TW 6k limit). A second way would be to allow players to completely reset chars to locked state and redeem gear and ability mats.

That said, I agree with you that each player should judge the value of their toons individually not the devs. However, as you dismiss the ideas and complaints in this (and other similar) thread with your advice I have yet to find a post where you hint at how players are supposed to achieve what you propose.
    I really would appriciate your insight on this.

PS 1: Since GA was first announced I stopped dead in 7*ring toons I currently don't need or wouldn't be able to gear. A lot of people will tell me that those 6456 GP of a 7* toon (or ~5000 Gp, if you go til 5*) are negligible. The character shards I have available to unlock chars should I need them are worth ~150k GP. Wouldn't call that negligible. So that is a way of deciding on an individual basis if a toon is worth it. Obviously that doesn't work for everyone so I would not present it as "solution" more like a "workaround" for some of the player base.
    PS 2: A guildmate (~3M) was matched today in GA with a player who probably started in 2006 and maybe took a break some time. Regardless, this guy has toons maxed that have seen their best days long ago. Looking at his roster, a 1.5M player with a current roster would stand a good chance of beating him. How would an elder player be able to revaluate his old toons and void their influence on GA MM?
  • To the title of this thread, it’s both. Reading through some of the comments, I agree that GP is a measure of resource investment and not combat effectiveness. For example, until recently, my 5* g9 Sabine, has a lower GP than my 7* g7 toons. In no situations would I use those g7 toons over Sabine. Ships are even worse. I recently unlocked emperor’s shuttle and it boosted my GP by almost 40k but I won’t use it any time soon.

GP was fine before it was used for matchmaking in GA. There’s no logical correlation for GP between toon star levels and gear levels and between squads and ships. Hopefully, CG improves GP calculations, matchmaking, or both sometime in the near future.

Almost all of my GA matches have been really poor competitions. Either I crush my opponent because they have very fluffy rosters and no focus on speed mods, or they crush me because I have a heavy ship focus.
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Does nobody remember that this is what the old power calculation worked? It was based on a character’s stats. And it was AWFUL.
    I'd also suggest that any toon under G7 shouldn't be counted...because lets be honest, no toons (even at G7) are actually useful and can be reasonable used in a GA fight

I have both used and fought against g7 characters in GA.

• vksg wrote: »
    Let's just play your game for a second. If it is for the player to decide, how would they be supposed to do it?
    Take Ugnaught and FOX again: A player leveled both to 7* G12. Now he finds out that Ugnaught is of no use while FOX does work for him/her (fictional, might be the other way around for whatever reason).

The player already made that decision by deciding to spend the resources to make Ugnaught G12. That is a very deliberate decision made by the player. FOX and Ugnaught require the same resources to get to the same point of development. One happens to be more effective than the other. That's on the player.

To improve in GA work on a) building out effective PvP squads and b) improving the number of high quality mods you have to distribute to however many teams you need to in your GP bracket (I set six on defense, so I need 12 quality squads, 60 quality toons, 420 quality mods).

Realistically, saving 100k to 200k on GP is meaningless since there is so much variation in roster construction that falls within that window. For example, I have an almost 2.7 M GP account that would get absolutely crushed by another 2.2 M GP account. That's a 500k difference in GP that would make zero difference in the outcome of the match. And that 2.7 M GP account is about to win it's third or fourth GA (however many there have been minus 1).
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    vksg wrote: »

Now, how can the player show his evaluation/decision? A possible solution would be the player being able to disable/lock the toon for GA so that it neither can't be used nor will be counted towards matchmaking GP (sth similar to the random TW 6k limit). A second way would be to allow players to completely reset chars to locked state and redeem gear and ability mats.

That said, I agree with you that each player should judge the value of their toons individually not the devs. However, as you dismiss the ideas and complaints in this (and other similar) thread with your advice I have yet to find a post where you hint at how players are supposed to achieve what you propose.
    I really would appriciate your insight on this.

PS 1: Since GA was first announced I stopped dead in 7*ring toons I currently don't need or wouldn't be able to gear. A lot of people will tell me that those 6456 GP of a 7* toon (or ~5000 Gp, if you go til 5*) are negligible. The character shards I have available to unlock chars should I need them are worth ~150k GP. Wouldn't call that negligible. So that is a way of deciding on an individual basis if a toon is worth it. Obviously that doesn't work for everyone so I would not present it as "solution" more like a "workaround" for some of the player base.
    PS 2: A guildmate (~3M) was matched today in GA with a player who probably started in 2006 and maybe took a break some time. Regardless, this guy has toons maxed that have seen their best days long ago. Looking at his roster, a 1.5M player with a current roster would stand a good chance of beating him. How would an elder player be able to revaluate his old toons and void their influence on GA MM?

Your GP is the sum of your choices.

What do you mean how does a player show their choices.

Answer- they invest more in the toons that they can use.

Resource management =/= evaluation after the fact. Why would you invest in a toon that you didnt see a use for?

Do you buy a car first and then think about how you are going to fit your stuff or family in it?

Everyone that complains about having fluff and facing players that have a laser focused roster on GA or TW, seems to know what they want their roster to look like, why do I have to explain?

Also you are not looking hard enough, from day one, I have always advocated focus on multi use toons. Toons that have more than one purpose, or a seemingly long shelf life.

How do you get a better roster - build the toons that help you in the game mode you want to do better in, while weighing those choices against their usefulness everywhere else. Focus your roster. Dont blame others for being better than you, work on getting better at the game mode you want to be better at.

Many of us have fluff, that doesnt mean we cant build GA/TW focused teams.
  • How does it make sense that the person with HIGHER GP wins battle ties? They have the advantage and more should be expected of them. The lower GP player should win the tie.
  • I think the calculation of GP is fine, it just shouldn't look at your entire roster. I like to 7-star my charterers and check them off my list but am now being penalized for it especially when they are not in a combat ready state. It makes me crazy that I can't promote them and start earning shard shop currency without penalizing myself in GA. I don't know the correct answer but I wish the MM maybe only looked at the top X chars or whatever is required to play the match. 6 battles X 5 char slots = 30 for offense plus 30 for defense so look at my top 60. Add in fluff there and look at my top 80 but not the other 60 which have 0 effectiveness. It wouldn't kill them to test this scenario for a month or 2 and see if people scream more or less.
  • vksg
    132 posts Member
    The player already made that decision by deciding to spend the resources to make Ugnaught G12. That is a very deliberate decision made by the player. FOX and Ugnaught require the same resources to get to the same point of development. One happens to be more effective than the other. That's on the player.
    A valid point. However I come to a different conclusion because of two things:
    • There is no sandbox to try out characters. Therefore to make Ugnaught G12 is the players only way to do an evaluation of that character. So to put it in your words. The player currently has to decide before they are able to evaluate. You might point to third party sites or GC to evaluate. But that's exactly the same as if the devs would evaluate the toons for a player. Not wanted (see Kyno).
    • The value of chars changes. Why should a new player should have an advantage over long-time players just because they are able to align their roster development to the current state of the game whereas there is no way to adjust 'old' rosters?
    Realistically, saving 100k to 200k on GP is meaningless since there is so much variation in roster construction that falls within that window. For example, I have an almost 2.7 M GP account that would get absolutely crushed by another 2.2 M GP account. That's a 500k difference in GP that would make zero difference in the outcome of the match. And that 2.7 M GP account is about to win it's third or fourth GA (however many there have been minus 1).
    You are mixing up things here. To find out if something has any effect or not you need to make sure that as much of the parameters that are not relevant to your thesis are not influencing your model (or test scenario). Most of the time that means you define them as fixed and don't change them ("c.p."). In this case it means we don't want to compare different strategies (good battle strategy can for sure make up for a bad roster) and we don't want to factor in RNG (obviously RNG can turn the tide in many battles). So in the case of those 150k GP difference you need to compare two players, exactly the same strategy (farming, gearing and battle wise). Only difference: One unlocks every char as soon as they've got the shards, the other doesn't. Because they have different GP now in our model (despite having exactly the same roster if you look at relevant toons) we can't 'play' them against each other. So we need to scale the model to the whole fictional player base. All those millions exactly the same, besides half of them unlocks trash chars the other doesn't. No in every GA-Matchup there will be 50% of the players not being able to compete (again, c.p.). There is nothing meaningless about it. It just is not the only factor that counts and therefore the effect might be negated by another one (you stated some examples).
  • vksg
    132 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Resource management =/= evaluation after the fact. Why would you invest in a toon that you didnt see a use for?

Everyone that complains about having fluff and facing players that have a laser focused roster on GA or TW, seems to know what they want their roster to look like, why do I have to explain?

The answer is too cluttered so I will stick to the two points above.
    1. After all it is still a collectors game. Should you really expect to be punished just for unlocking a character to 7*?
    2. I have a focused roster and win most of my GA. No problem with that. However, I also have responsibility for the other players in my guild and I can see a lot of them struggling because they can't resist that collector's habit to get that shiny new char unlocked. It's hard to see them punished for just having unused toons in their roster.
    Maybe to make this even clearer: For the unlocking part, this has nothing to do with resource management. You either cannot use those resources for anything else/better (shards) or they are not the limiting factor (G1-G5).
  • Matching people together then based off of GP is silly then, that is the overriding theme reading through these comments.

Devs could also consider how many toons have been unlocked and then perhaps only count the highest 2/3 of characters they have available to contribute to the GP...then match players based on that figure.

As someone has also alluded to, someone unlocking a new ship will add 30/40k to their GP even though they may never use that ship.

I*'ve got quite a few characters that I have purposely not activated in order to keep my GP down
  • Ruark_Icefire
    856 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Evaluating off of stats would be just as bad if not worse. How good a character is depends more on their abilities than the raw stats. So you would have to factor in what abilites a character has as well and that is so subjective as to be nearly impossible to code since many abilities are really powerful with the right team and completely worthless without the right team. So do we then start checking the roster to make sure if they have the right characters to take advantage of each ability? What then when you have the right characters but only enough to make 1 team? Say you have zFinn and zJTR but only enough resistance for 1 team. How does it choose to evaluate that? One of those characters is always gonna be dead weight on your roster.

Hell just imagine the lag with all those calculations. The game would freeze every time you equipped a piece of gear as it recalculated your GP with every possible combination of characters.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

The answer is too cluttered so I will stick to the two points above.
    1. After all it is still a collectors game. Should you really expect to be punished just for unlocking a character to 7*?
    2. I have a focused roster and win most of my GA. No problem with that. However, I also have responsibility for the other players in my guild and I can see a lot of them struggling because they can't resist that collector's habit to get that shiny new char unlocked. It's hard to see them punished for just having unused toons in their roster.
    Maybe to make this even clearer: For the unlocking part, this has nothing to do with resource management. You either cannot use those resources for anything else/better (shards) or they are not the limiting factor (G1-G5).

No one is punished for unlocking anything, but if your only goal is to unlock toons, then you shouldnt be expecting to be super competitive in combat game mode that doesnt use your whole collection.

If you have focused on good TW/GA toons and teams and still spread your resources out to unlock other toons that's ok, but still that's the players choice. GA/TW is only about 50-70 toons. Your roster can still be wide if you have the toons that you can use effectively. If you went wide first, then you may have trouble, but that was the players choice. Choosing to have every character unlocked before getting teams that can be used to a good state isnt a good choice no matter what your mindset is if you want to compete at the PvP combat game modes. Unlocking a toons you want to unlock that fors t have a current purpose should always be a secondary action, or side project. We all have them, but if that's your focus, then other things are not, and if you are beat by someone who is focused first on combat, that's ok, that's the way it should be.
  • I'm confused... is GA supposed to the ultimate test of resource management or ultimate test of skill? Seems like in the announcement it's supposed to be the ultimate test in skill.
    go244u3nexpk.jpg
    fnve5t0zq5ah.jpg
  • vksg wrote: »
    A valid point. However I come to a different conclusion because of two things:
    • There is no sandbox to try out characters. Therefore to make Ugnaught G12 is the players only way to do an evaluation of that character. So to put it in your words. The player currently has to decide before they are able to evaluate. You might point to third party sites or GC to evaluate. But that's exactly the same as if the devs would evaluate the toons for a player. Not wanted (see Kyno).

I agree with this, but if you're committed to the game enough to care about GA results and post on the forums, then you know there is a wealth of information available as to what works well and what doesn't. That preparation is either rewarded (FOX) or the lack of it is punished (Ugnaught).
    • The value of chars changes. Why should a new player should have an advantage over long-time players just because they are able to align their roster development to the current state of the game whereas there is no way to adjust 'old' rosters?

Since they have the same GP but have been playing for different amounts of time either the newer player is a spender or the newer player is more efficient (higher arena rankings > higher crystal payouts > more resources > builds better teams > performs better in raids and arena > gets more resources > higher arena rankings...). Either way, why should they be penalized for accelerating their roster development?
    You are mixing up things here. To find out if something has any effect or not you need to make sure that as much of the parameters that are not relevant to your thesis are not influencing your model (or test scenario)....

I applaud your efforts at what I think is you explaining how to create a control group to test out a hypothesis. My hypothesis is that complaining about 200k difference in GP is meaningless when it comes to GA and falls within variability of roster construction. Let's look at some numbers...

gbbazcuyiwnq.png

The first column is the number of squads required. I'm assuming you're setting full squads and attempting to single clear your enemy. I've included a high and low average per toon value for consideration. 27k is the maximum currently obtainable, but that's only by three characters (JKR, CLS, JTR). Using that, I determined the high and low Lean GP required to fill out the required number of usable squads - ranging from 1.2M character GP to 800k character GP. I then mapped those values against the typical character GP based on each overall GP and determined the amount of GP that doesn't need to be used in the match. I used 60% Character GP based on checking swgoh.gg for about 150 profiles. I'm certain this is a function of GP and that Ship GP comprises a greater percentage of overall GP the lower you go.

All that said, the LOWEST value of fluff GP in this model is 200k (the maximum amount of fluff GP you can have while hitting the lean GP target at 2M GP overall) . So, my off the cuff assertion wasn't really that far off.

To put this another way, 200,000 GP is 42 activated 7 star level 1 characters. So if your roster is built in a lean fashion, you can still afford 42 useless characters weighing down the bottom of your roster, worst case.

TL;DR; Stop complaining about GP as a matchmaking tool and focus on a) Squads and b) Mods.

• DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    GP is the decided identifier and barring a complete redo of the core, will remain as such. By now if they had a better determiner they would be using it, and quite honestly they may be testing one. TW/GA are small parts of the game. Yes frustrating, but it is what it is. Farm it, Forget it. If any facet of the game angers you, that should be a warning sign to step back. I suggest playing multiple games, playing only one will increase the chance for burnout. #playersmatternothegame
  • @Tanzos Skill in building teams that can compete in PvP, skill in deploying those teams correctly based on your opponent, and skill in executing battles once teams have been deployed, so....gotta go with yup on that.