GA is a forgone conclusion

Replies

• BubbaFett wrote: »
    I love the 3v3! Feels very different because there are a high number of combinations to mess around with.

One thing they haven't done that I would like to see is a mixed board with some 5v5 and some 3v3..... Make you have to choose which factions to split up.....

That would be awesome.
  • Naraic wrote: »
    My suggestion is to increase brackets to 64 or 128 and increase a ga to 6 or 7 rounds.

Increase the prizes as well since its a much longer event. The first few rounds will have the same crap we have at the moment where stronger more focused rosters slaughter weaker less focused rosters.

However once the first few rounds are completed more focused rosters can face more focused rosters in a fair match.

Seems a fair compromise.
  • Naraic
    2243 posts Member
    Naraic wrote: »
    My suggestion is to increase brackets to 64 or 128 and increase a ga to 6 or 7 rounds.

Increase the prizes as well since its a much longer event. The first few rounds will have the same crap we have at the moment where stronger more focused rosters slaughter weaker less focused rosters.

However once the first few rounds are completed more focused rosters can face more focused rosters in a fair match.

Seems a fair compromise.

One of the major ideas of matchmaking people with the same number of wins was that by the end of a ga event the battles would be interesting.

For me this has largely failed however in the third round I am unable to just turn on auto so it sort of works. There's just not enough rounds to filter it so we get challenging matches.
  • PetitEtreMalfaisant
    247 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    If there is a Bastilla or Revan team in defense it's usually the end for me; I still haven't a decent NS team against Bastilla and still don't have the good toons against Revan.

So I also know if I win or loose.
    And if I loose I know why : not the good toons for not having farmed correctly.
    This knowledge comes with experience; you can't have the first before the second.
    I would definitly not farm like I did, if I had to start today.

But if there is a fleet to set up, mine is not defeated.
  • [/quote]

Where have I moaned about losing in this thread?

I’m simply pointing out that under the current matchmaking process GA matches are predictable because similar GP can produce wildly different rosters.

You can hold an opposing view without being rude.[/quote]

You’ve lost me. This thread was about cussing your opponent(s) because their rosters are 10x better than yours. You’re suggesting you want to win by fighting opponents who have less stature than you? I’d be happy to have a 1v1 but we can’t do that because the match making is fair and wont let me touch players with lower or higher gp. Why would they? Lets go back to football? ( not great at football) but lets say you’re manchester city in a high tier league and randomly you’re selected to face some one who’s in a underdog league, is that fair? No. However if that underdog team has the same statute as you then would it? Yes. At the same time they wouldn’t be an underdog, they’d also be in the premier league fighting for the trophy also. Get it out the system that the matchmaking is flawed because its really not, its totally random and it’s a global selection. And its alll down to gp and thus if a player dedicated him self to one team rather than 10 random heroes that don’t syng together thats down to the person.

If you don’t like the ga don’t join it? You join it if you want to participate and earn them cushty rewards.. which i think are terrible but getting better by the Month. I agree with you on one thing though. The playeds who don’t set sqauds should be punished and struck out some how because that really isnt fair and i really do feel for everyone affected by that game play.

So don’t feel like i’m being obnoxious.
    A post has been made like this over and over again.. same result every time. You’ll be disapointed.
    Winners will win, and losers will carry on crying because the match making is flawed..

• I still don't get why people complain or say GA isn't fair. Why should someone who followed the meta, joined a great guild, made smart decisions on who to farm, gear and zeta be penalized in a head-to-head style game mode against someone who plays more casual, builds up every toon regardless of meta and doesn't care?

If that's the path they chose then good for them as long as they still enjoy the game and other game modes. Maybe they built their roster more for TB or TW which is their prerogative. Think about how difficult it would be to match 8 teams an 'x' amount of times with the same GP, same amount of zetas, same amount of G12 toons, etc. It's impossible.

I understand the need for a more 'challenging' and 'balanced' experience but unfortunately I don't think it's possible is all I'm trying to say.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Yep, the matchmaking sucks, and it doesn't matter whether you are on the winning or losing side, neither steamrolling your opponent nor getting steamrolled is fun. And fun should be the most important thing in a game.
  • Arhithi wrote: »
    I still don't get why people complain or say GA isn't fair. Why should someone who followed the meta, joined a great guild, made smart decisions on who to farm, gear and zeta be penalized in a head-to-head style game mode against someone who plays more casual, builds up every toon regardless of meta and doesn't care?

If that's the path they chose then good for them as long as they still enjoy the game and other game modes. Maybe they built their roster more for TB or TW which is their prerogative. Think about how difficult it would be to match 8 teams an 'x' amount of times with the same GP, same amount of zetas, same amount of G12 toons, etc. It's impossible.

I understand the need for a more 'challenging' and 'balanced' experience but unfortunately I don't think it's possible is all I'm trying to say.

I wouldn’t say it’s unfair. More that it’s unfun.

Steamrolling or being steamrolled in any game isn’t fun.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    Yep, the matchmaking sucks, and it doesn't matter whether you are on the winning or losing side, neither steamrolling your opponent nor getting steamrolled is fun. And fun should be the most important thing in a game.

THIS

• Where have I moaned about losing in this thread?

I’m simply pointing out that under the current matchmaking process GA matches are predictable because similar GP can produce wildly different rosters.

You can hold an opposing view without being rude.[/quote]

You’ve lost me. This thread was about cussing your opponent(s) because their rosters are 10x better than yours. You’re suggesting you want to win by fighting opponents who have less stature than you? I’d be happy to have a 1v1 but we can’t do that because the match making is fair and wont let me touch players with lower or higher gp. Why would they? Lets go back to football? ( not great at football) but lets say you’re manchester city in a high tier league and randomly you’re selected to face some one who’s in a underdog league, is that fair? No. However if that underdog team has the same statute as you then would it? Yes. At the same time they wouldn’t be an underdog, they’d also be in the premier league fighting for the trophy also. Get it out the system that the matchmaking is flawed because its really not, its totally random and it’s a global selection. And its alll down to gp and thus if a player dedicated him self to one team rather than 10 random heroes that don’t syng together thats down to the person.

If you don’t like the ga don’t join it? You join it if you want to participate and earn them cushty rewards.. which i think are terrible but getting better by the Month. I agree with you on one thing though. The playeds who don’t set sqauds should be punished and struck out some how because that really isnt fair and i really do feel for everyone affected by that game play.

So don’t feel like i’m being obnoxious.
    A post has been made like this over and over again.. same result every time. You’ll be disapointed.
    Winners will win, and losers will carry on crying because the match making is flawed..

[/quote]

For the last time, neither of the original rosters are mine.

My roster is strong for my GP and I do well enough in GA.

My point, is simply this. Steamrolling an opponent or being steamrolled isn’t fun IMO.

A game should be about fun. Therefore I would prefer match-ups to be closer than they are now.

Punishing players who don’t set a defence is not what I would advocate. Rather, it would be better to ask. “Why are so many players not setting a defence?” And then adapt the game to address this cause.

I suspect many don’t set defences because they don’t stand a chance of winning so don’t bother. Therefore a change should be made to make matches more competitive. Altering the matchmaking is one way to achieve this.
  • I’m gonna finish by saying if you don’t like healthy competition, minecraft awaits for you. The GA is fun, it brings a new lease of life to this game, if you can’t handle losing all the time then you need to get over it, and do something about it and make sure you win. My mumma always taught me the harsh lessons of life, if you fall, you pick your self back up and do better.

But those who hate it are clearly the ones who suffer from losing. And instead of complaining that its bad match making and blah blah blah ask for help?? the devs are not going to change it.
  • I’m gonna finish by saying if you don’t like healthy competition, minecraft awaits for you. The GA is fun, it brings a new lease of life to this game, if you can’t handle losing all the time then you need to get over it, and do something about it and make sure you win. My mumma always taught me the harsh lessons of life, if you fall, you pick your self back up and do better.

But those who hate it are clearly the ones who suffer from losing. And instead of complaining that its bad match making and blah blah blah ask for help?? the devs are not going to change it.

Did you read anything I just said 🤦🏻‍♂️?

You can ask for something to be improved even if you win. Stop assuming that anyone that wants a change to GA is losing. I’m certainly not.

I would like a close match because, win or lose, PLAYING is the point. But knowing you’ve won before you start is boring. I don’t know how else to put this.

• Been playing for years. Only ever focused on 1 character at a time. I have 1.5 mill gp and i have 5 solid teams 80k+

The search is perfect, i only ever match with playes at my gp and because i was smart, i now rule my GA every time. Suck it up.
    Curb stomping a clearly inferior roster takes about as much skill as farting.
    I’m gonna finish by saying if you don’t like healthy competition, minecraft awaits for you.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Been playing for years. Only ever focused on 1 character at a time. I have 1.5 mill gp and i have 5 solid teams 80k+

The search is perfect, i only ever match with playes at my gp and because i was smart, i now rule my GA every time. Suck it up.
    Curb stomping a clearly inferior roster takes about as much skill as farting.
    I’m gonna finish by saying if you don’t like healthy competition, minecraft awaits for you.

Sorry i own curb stomping teams. Or maybe i use strategy? Like using defensive teams for defence? Guess we’ll never know. Now excuse me whilst i curb stomp my last opponent and mine my diamonds.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    This is your own fault unfortunately.

Been playing for years. Only ever focused on 1 character at a time. I have 1.5 mill gp and i have 5 solid teams 80k+

The search is perfect, i only ever match with playes at my gp and because i was smart, i now rule my GA every time. Suck it up. Focus on your teams rather than ranking up every character in your roster and learn to win.

bfoux9j3y75e.png

what you are missing is that no one knew to not level up any toons that aren't meta, unless you started after GA was announced. Before that, we were rewarded for leveling and gearing toons, even CUP I guess, for GP. But even if you never leveled bad toons, you would still have a bunch at a higher than ideal (for GA) level.

The point is why reward us for having a higher gp, then punish us for having a higher gp? What makes the most sense is to have matchups based on # of zetas, G12's etc. That way is someone has a maxed zetaed CWC that's on them, but it doesn't punish people who have been playing for years when the incentives were different.
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »

The search is perfect, i only ever match with playes at my gp and because i was smart, i now rule my GA every time. Suck it up. Focus on your teams rather than ranking up every character in your roster and learn to win.

bfoux9j3y75e.png

what you are missing is that no one knew to not level up any toons that aren't meta, unless you started after GA was announced. Before that, we were rewarded for leveling and gearing toons, even CUP I guess, for GP. But even if you never leveled bad toons, you would still have a bunch at a higher than ideal (for GA) level.

The point is why reward us for having a higher gp, then punish us for having a higher gp? What makes the most sense is to have matchups based on # of zetas, G12's etc. That way is someone has a maxed zetaed CWC that's on them, but it doesn't punish people who have been playing for years when the incentives were different.

People would still be making the exact same argument. "Why should I be punished for putting a zeta on QGJ/Cody/insert any other character that used to be relevant and no longer is?"
  • Liath wrote: »

bfoux9j3y75e.png

People would still be making the exact same argument. "Why should I be punished for putting a zeta on QGJ/Cody/insert any other character that used to be relevant and no longer is?"

but it would make much less sense. zetas are extremely rare, and G12 is also very hard to attain. if the matchups were based off stats like those it would be more fair. Like I said if you have a g12+5 zetaed CWC that's on you. That's a lot different than being punished for playing the game they told us to play for years and then they intro this new thing that says "oops, shouldn't have done what we said."

I mean, GA rewards are garbage especially for the timesuck, but more fair> less fair
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »

i kinda like easy wins tbh.
    For the final it's inevitable that i face the strongest opponent, but for the first two rounds i'm hoping for the weakest possible opponents.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Liath wrote: »

bfoux9j3y75e.png

but it would make much less sense. zetas are extremely rare, and G12 is also very hard to attain. if the matchups were based off stats like those it would be more fair. Like I said if you have a g12+5 zetaed CWC that's on you. That's a lot different than being punished for playing the game they told us to play for years and then they intro this new thing that says "oops, shouldn't have done what we said."

I mean, GA rewards are garbage especially for the timesuck, but more fair> less fair

They never told you how to play the game, just like they never told the guy who zetaed CW Chewie not to do it. Different aspects of the game require different priorities, and each person gets to decide for himself how he wants to play the game. Somebody who decided to gear Ewoks because he likes them had an edge when the C3PO event dropped. The game is always coming up with ways to incentivize you to gear more and different teams that you previously ignored.

How is it more reasonable to complain that this game mode "punishes" you for increasing your GP back when incentives were different than it is to complain that it "punishes" you for gearing and zetaing specific characters back when incentives were different?
  • See above re why it’s different, asnd as for telling us how to play increased gp helped in tw tb etc.

Like I said it’s nbd bc rewards suck v time invested
  • Liath wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »

bfoux9j3y75e.png

They never told you how to play the game, ...
    Actually they kinda do. Even at level 85, every time you accumulate enough shards to unlock a toon or ship, the game shoves a modal window in your face with a big [ACTIVATE] button.
  • The matchmaking seems fine. It does kinda suck that it brought to a head, the differences between a collector's and focused rosters, but the idea is right.
    The problem I see, which has only benefitted me so far, is the non-players. It just seems like there's a large percentage of people joining and doing little to no participation.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    The matchmaking in GA really needs improving if we are going to have closer and more interesting match-ups.

Key word: "if"

I don't believe the aim is to have very close/even match-ups. Instead of having 8 strong players/rosters in one pool and 8 weak in another (all 16 of even GP) I believe it's more fair to mix them up.

• Waqui wrote: »
    The matchmaking in GA really needs improving if we are going to have closer and more interesting match-ups.

I don't believe the aim is to have very close/even match-ups. Instead of having 8 strong players/rosters in one pool and 8 weak in another (all 16 of even GP) I believe it's more fair to mix them up.

That’s the point though. Why would you want to play a game where you know the outcome before starting?

It’s the reason people are reporting a lot of inactivity. Players join and then either don’t set a defence or don’t bother to attack because they know they have no chance of winning.

Nobody is having any fun in the above scenario and the root cause is poor match-ups.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »

That’s the point though. Why would you want to play a game where you know the outcome before starting?

It’s the reason people are reporting a lot of inactivity. Players join and then either don’t set a defence or don’t bother to attack because they know they have no chance of winning.

Nobody is having any fun in the above scenario and the root cause is poor match-ups.

Are you sure about that?
    I for one like easy wins, so i think it's safe to assume there are quite a few likeminded players out there.
    Lets also not forget that the way it's set up currently gives incentive to improve your roster, which is probably one of the reasons it's set-up this way.
    Save water, drink champagne!

While I agree I would feel punished if someone said to me you have revan and traya and **** let's put you in a bracket with other people with the same units only I would also like more interesting matchups.

This is why I've suggested a 128 man bracket a longer ga event and higher prizes relating to the extra time.

Last few rounds should be interesting for all.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

No it’s poor matchmaking plain and simple. To use a football (soccer if you’re a yank) analogy, your view would be like saying Manchester United vs my Sunday league team is an equal and fair match-up because we both have 11 players (or similar GP).

Even and fair are two different things. In GA letting players, who developed strong rosters for GA have an advantage is fair. The prize is the same for the winners, so why should players with weaker rosters have easier matchups (weaker opponents) and have an easier path to take 1st prize?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

I don't care about inactivity. If players want to join GA and then forfeit every match it's fine with me. I find GA quite fun and challenging. I most often end up with 2/3 - and on rare occasions 3/3. This corresponds well to how I perceive my own strength: Above average, but there are still significantly stronger players out there.

Know the outcome? I rarely know the outcome beforehand. I can assume it, but I don't know it. Meeting a player with 15 more g12 characters than I is just a challenge. It motivates me to focus and strategise better (and build a better roster for next time).

I don't care about inactivity. If players want to join GA and then forfeit every match it's fine with me. I find GA quite fun and challenging. I most often end up with 2/3 - and on rare occasions 3/3. This corresponds well to how I perceive my own strength: Above average, but there are still significantly stronger players out there.

Know the outcome? I rarely know the outcome beforehand. I can assume it, but I don't know it. Meeting a player with 15 more g12 characters than I is just a challenge. It motivates me to focus and strategise better (and build a better roster for next time).

If you compare the two rosters in my original example, there is no way that is ever going to be a competitive match.

Sure the weaker player should have built a much better roster but that’s not the point. There’s not fun in stomping him into the ground. When I played him he didn’t even put down one of my defensive teams and I cleared his board, on auto.

In my experience this is the norm rather than the exeception, but I appreciate I am working on a small sample size and it may different for others.

I don't care about inactivity. If players want to join GA and then forfeit every match it's fine with me.

You should. If a significant portion of the player base gives up, then the game starts to wither and die.

Plus, are you seriously having fun stomping a roster that is significantly weaker than yours to the point where you can wipe their board without trying?