Update on the Finn/Threepio Raid Interaction: Resulting Finn Modifications [MEGA]

Replies

• So what character is the grevious rework going to break so I know not to waste my zeta? How about Darth Revan, will you do such a poor job testing him on different teams that all of a sudden your going to change how Ebb and Flow works on Thrawn? Do you get what I'm getting at. You did a ctap Jon of testing a new character. The players figured out how to use him to great effect and you didn't like it. So instead of fixing the content that C3PO was breaking, or fixing his kit in particular that caused the endless loop, you changed the zeta on an character that character completely changing how he works and then you deny those who invested in him the ability to put the zeta on something more useful. How should I feel comfortable investing in ANY character in this game when you CONSTANTLY fail to properly test characters before they are released and end up fixing them by "reworking" older characters that I have already put time and resources into. Maybe you guys are right and he won't be a pile of crap, he sounds liek he will be much more useful when outside the leadership slot too, but you nerfed his leadership, so let me put it on something else. If his leadership still ends up working for what they want to use him for then they can put it back on. If it sucks and is only good for HAAT and p3, most people will likely want to invest elsewhere.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Intrapidoo wrote: »
    I used zFinn successfully multpile times to get rid of revan teams in ga/tw effectively and even in arena.Hes destroyed now.
    No, he isn't. Just because he won't be able to swing 38 million damage against Traya doesn't mean he's "destroyed." If you can't think of a use for a toon who looks like he'll be able to easily stack up in the 1000+% damage range against a raid boss, you aren't trying.

The kit doesn't seem like it will be on the same level though. I regularly use Finn in GA and TW to take out all kinds of teams - Revan, Traya, FO, EP, Ewoks... It gives me a lot of flexibility. The boost to the kit doesn't seem to compensate the loss of TM gain and I can't see them (Res & Co) having the same impact as before.
  • A4752375 wrote: »
    His basic got nerfed too. You have to attack 1 enemy 9 times with the basic to have the same total output damage from 9 basic attacks in his old kit. How many instances are you aware where you attack and enemy with finn's basic 9 or more times?
    Would you be so kind as to provide your math? Cause this doesn't line up with my math at all. According to my math he already does more total damage on his 4th basic attack in his new kit compared to his old.
  • I've got ZFinn, but honestly stopped using him in favor of a JTR lead. Ethics of refunding zetas aside (not ignoring, just seems a lot of people are already covering that topic) I do like the look of this rework, and am wondering if I can now slot him in (not as a leader) to my JTR team. I think the rest of the changes improve his kit dramatically as part of a resistance squad, even if his viability as a leader is drastically reduced. Yeah, if they refunded the zeta I wouldn't put it back on Finn, but I'm hoping to use him more now. (full disclosure, I only got 3PO to 6* so I've been unable to use the loop.)
  • A total disaster. I invested the Z long ago, before the raid and now don’t work for me. No z refund...?
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    GunnerFCm wrote: »
    I've got ZFinn, but honestly stopped using him in favor of a JTR lead. Ethics of refunding zetas aside (not ignoring, just seems a lot of people are already covering that topic) I do like the look of this rework, and am wondering if I can now slot him in (not as a leader) to my JTR team. I think the rest of the changes improve his kit dramatically as part of a resistance squad, even if his viability as a leader is drastically reduced. Yeah, if they refunded the zeta I wouldn't put it back on Finn, but I'm hoping to use him more now. (full disclosure, I only got 3PO to 6* so I've been unable to use the loop.)

I’m also in a wait and see... just theory crafting a JTR Lead, Holdo, Finn, RT, BB8 team could be a bit more beefy on D. As for his lead, I also was barely using it. So there was an infinite loop, they always will correct them.
  • Ichiraikou wrote: »
    A4752375 wrote: »
    His basic got nerfed too. You have to attack 1 enemy 9 times with the basic to have the same total output damage from 9 basic attacks in his old kit. How many instances are you aware where you attack and enemy with finn's basic 9 or more times?
    Would you be so kind as to provide your math? Cause this doesn't line up with my math at all. According to my math he already does more total damage on his 4th basic attack in his new kit compared to his old.

I am talking about total damage. So his old kit does 100% more damage from second time and beyond. So using 100 as base damage, rhe total damage is (100 + 200*n) where n is number of attacks.

The new kit does 20% more damage. I am assuming 20% increase from his base 9f 100 so that is 120 on second, 140 on third, 160 on fourth and so on. So mathematically for n number of attacks the total damage is (100 + [100 + 20(n-1)])/2* n. OR more simply (100 + 120 + 140 + 160 + 180 + 200 + 220 + 240 + 260 + 280) = 1900 for 9 attacks. This is same number you get for old kit with 9 basic.

It just cant be 120% of previous attack because thats exponentially increasing and his attack damage would rapidly blow up.

• Drazhar
    784 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Since there are changes to character, we want our zeta back to choose whether to zeta him back or not, exactly as it happened with Daka. Why are you assuming that we will furtherly invest on him? Come on, this is basic fairness.
    Ichiraikou wrote: »

I am talking about total damage. So his old kit does 100% more damage from second time and beyond. So using 100 as base damage, rhe total damage is (100 + 200*n) where n is number of attacks.

The new kit does 20% more damage. I am assuming 20% increase from his base 9f 100 so that is 120 on second, 140 on third, 160 on fourth and so on. So mathematically for n number of attacks the total damage is (100 + [100 + 20(n-1)])/2* n. OR more simply (100 + 120 + 140 + 160 + 180 + 200 + 220 + 240 + 260 + 280) = 1900 for 9 attacks. This is same number you get for old kit with 9 basic.

It just cant be 120% of previous attack because thats exponentially increasing and his attack damage would rapidly blow up.

My bad... I misread his basic. You are right about your math..

Aaah I see the mistake you made. His current "old" kit basic says, and I quote: Deal physical damage to target enemy. This attack deals 100% more damage to enemies that haven't already been struck by it.

This means that the formula for his damage isn't (100 +200n) but (200 + 100n). A slight reading mistake.They can happen
  • I could never fully auto phase 3 of the Heroic Triumvirate raid with Finn and C3PO. But, why should that matter? We were able to beat the raid anyway, this team just gave us a way of doing it quicker.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Ichiraikou wrote: »

trmx437ax115.png
  • SwedishHeat
    9 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Refund the Zeta.

It's insulting that you would change how it works, then state you 'have no intention of refunding the zeta".
  • Gawejn
    1104 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Kyno, stop. If you don’t have Revan you lose. In everything. Arena, TW, GW, GA. I see fully zetaed, g12+ Revan teams 200 deep in my arena shard, not sure how much further down it goes. Don’t fall on a rusty sword.

Back on topic, I want my zeta back @cg_carrie.

This is not True, I play NS, couse I dont have Revan, and in my arena shard everyone has Revan. I was today 54 at my payout. In GA two opponents had Revan team, but I won GA this time. Without Revan. I think everyone should receive refund of zeta mats if their Finn had zeta upgrade. Also after watching vid with cls and c3po in phase3 i think that this rework of Finn is not solving the problem of potential loop in phase 3 with not upgraded c3po. It quite similar to zombie. Also I think reworked Finn will bring a lot to resistance faction, this Finn team was a garbage and mechanic with expose train was silly. One mistake and this team was dead in next round in pvp.
  • camper288
    211 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    @Kyno

Who decides an argument is weak or not for the modification of a product or service is the supreme king, The Customer. Customers are unhappy and this should make EA publish on the forum that the Zfinn change would be suspended until the situation is reevaluated. Even if this law of capitalism were not strong enough, it goes another argument to prove that yours is weak.

By investing 20 zetas, 13 omegas and 30 MK3 skill materials. what any player expects is predictability that some team will continue to perform in a certain way.

The real point that you want to change is that the ZFinn Attack Team can not knock down the target team, whoever it may be. Have courage and openly talk about it to the community.

Using the P3 raid Sith and HAAT loop problem to make the change you really want is simply intellectual dishonesty on the part of the game team.

Why has not all Han ST mechanics been altered by the Sith raid? They made the traya not activate the ability without a direct damage. something in the same direction could have been made and was not.

Please make a change in the zeta of the finn.
    1) Assume that the central point is not the loops but the goal of the arena.
    2) Return the Finn Zetas
    3) Apologize for trying to treat players as fools

• I guess we can’t have more than one or two pvp viable teams in arena’s
  • Can we perhaps get a video of the new gameplay? I think a visual will be better for everyone.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    CG_TopHat wrote:
    TL;DR - To address the Finn/Threepio infinite loop we’ve reworked Finn. We’ve updated Finn’s leader ability, added ramping damage to his kit, and given him a new unique buff, Determination. Please read on for the specifics.
    In December we announced our intention to act upon an unintended interaction involving zFinn and C-3PO that allowed players to auto Phase 3 of the Heroic Sith Triumvirate raid (along with phases in other raids) by leveraging what is functionally an infinite loop. As has been a long-standing policy of ours, when we discover infinite loops we take action on them. Unlike some of our previous instances, where we maybe acted too quickly, we really wanted to continue to iterate until we found something that would stop the interaction and also improve the character(s) affected.
    Finn was released over three years ago along with the release of The Force Awakens. Finn was also one of our earliest characters to receive a zeta, approximately two years ago. After the addition of his zeta, Finn has been a prolific presence within the HAAT raid thanks to his Leader ability, which reduced the cooldowns of all Resistance allies and grants them 35% Turn Meter whenever an enemy takes damage from an Expose. C-3PO brought this to a head with his Cyborg Relations Unique, which allowed for Rebels and Ewoks to inflict an Expose with their basic abilities. This in addition to C-3PO's ability to call his team members to assist with his special ability "Oh My Goodness" meant that the team was able to apply Expose at an extremely high frequency, and thus reap the benefits of Finn's leader ability to stay at 100% Turn Meter while preventing their opponents from taking a turn.
    As a result of this loop, we’ve made some changes to Finn and only Finn. The detailed kit changes are found below but functionally what we’ve done is changed the amount of turn meter he is accruing for the team, given him some more regular team sustain, and a lot more damage output in PvE/Raids.
    How He’s Changed
    Below is the revised ability kit for Finn. We’ve made no changes to his core stats.
    Changes are highlighted in Green.
    Basic - Crack Shot
    Description: Deal Physical damage to target enemy. This attack deals 5% more damage for each time the target has been struck by it.
    Upgrade 1: +5% Damage
    Upgrade 2: +15% Damage
    Upgrade 3: +5% Damage
    Upgrade 4: +5% More Damage
    Upgrade 5: +5% Damage
    Upgrade 6: +5% Damage
    Upgrade 7: +15% Damage and +10% More Damage]/color]
    Final Text: Deal Physical damage to target enemy. This attack deals 20% more damage for each time the target has been struck by it.

Special 1 - Hold the Line
    (Cooldown Change to 3 turns at Base)
    Description: All Resistance allies recover 5% Health and Protection. Finn gains Advantage, Defense Up, and Taunt for 2 turns, and dispels all debuffs from all allies.
    Upgrade 1: +1% Health and Protection recovery
    Upgrade 2: +2% Health and Protection recovery
    Upgrade 3: +2% Health and Protection recovery
    Upgrade 4: +2% Health and Protection recovery
    Upgrade 5: +3% Health and Protection recovery
    Upgrade 6: +5% Health and Protection recovery
    Upgrade 7: Finn gains Determination for 2 turns

Final Text: All Resistance allies recover 20% Health and Protection.Finn gains Advantage, Defense Up, Taunt, and Determination for 2 turns, and dispels all debuffs from all allies.
    Determination: Whenever any other Resistance ally falls below 50% Health, Determination expires and Finn Taunts for 2 turns. If that ally was Taunting, it is dispelled. When Determination expires, Finn gains Retribution for 2 turns.

Special 2 - Takedown
    (Cooldown Change to 2 turns at Base)
    Description: Deal Physical damage to target enemy with a 70% chance to Expose them for 2 turns and a 70% chance to Stun them for 1 turn.
    Upgrade 1: +5% Damage
    Upgrade 2: +15% Expose and Stun Chance
    Upgrade 3: +5% Damage
    Upgrade 4: +5% Damage
    Upgrade 5: +15% Expose and Stun Chance
    Upgrade 6: +20% Damage
    Upgrade 7: This attack deals 60% more damage for each time the target has been struck by it (doubled against Raid Bosses)
    Final Text: Deal Physical damage to target enemy, Expose them for 2 turns, and Stun them for 1 turn. This attack deals 60% more damage for each time the target has been struck by it (doubled against Raid Bosses).
    Leader - Balanced Tactics
    Description: Resistance allies have +30% Defense, Offense, and Potency, and other allies have half that amount.
    Upgrade 1: +5% Defense, Offense, and Potency
    Upgrade 2: +5% Defense, Offense, and Potency
    Upgrade 3: +5% Defense, Offense, and Potency
    Upgrade 4: +5% Defense, Offense, and Potency
    Upgrade 5: +5% Defense, Offense, and Potency
    Upgrade 6: +5% Defense, Offense, and Potency
    Upgrade 7: Each time they damage an Exposed enemy, all Resistance allies gain 3% Turn Meter and the target enemy loses 5% Turn Meter for each Resistance ally; damaging an Exposed enemy also reduces Resistance allies' cooldowns by 1.

Final Text: Resistance allies have +60% Defense, Offense, and Potency, and other allies have half that amount. Each time they damage an Exposed enemy, all Resistance allies gain 3% Turn Meter and the target enemy loses 5% Turn Meter for each Resistance ally. Damaging an Exposed enemy also reduces Resistance allies' cooldowns by 1.
    Commentary on Changes
    Players will immediately notice that we’ve made some significant changes to Finn’s leader ability. We've reduced the amount of Turn Meter that he and his allies gain from activating Exposes, but now given them the ability to reduce the Exposed enemy's Turn Meter as well. Additionally, the Leader ability scales based on the number of Resistance allies and Resistance allies are the only ones that can activate turn meter gain/loss from exposes. We've also boosted the stat bonuses granted by the Leader ability. Finally we’ve removed Finn’s ability to grant Advantage to Resistance members that have lost Foresight. Thematically we didn’t think this made a lot of sense and practically it didn’t help the Resistance too much.
    In order to help maintain Finn's identity as a powerful character within our raid encounters, we've changed his basic attack and "Takedown" special ability so that they now each deal more damage based on the number of times they've each been used against an enemy. So, while looping the turns may be a bit more difficult, Finn-led Resistance teams in general will take more turns. Consequently, Finn will have significant scaling damage the longer the encounter goes on.
    We've also revisited his "Hold the Line" special, which now recovers Health and Protection for all Resistance allies instead of granting Heal Over Time, and grants him the new "Determination" effect. Determination is a new effect exclusive to Finn, where when another Resistance ally falls below 50% health, and the effect is active, that ally loses Taunt if they have it, and Finn gains Taunt for two turns while dropping the Determination effect. When Finn loses Determination, whether it expires naturally or if an ally triggers its effects, Finn gains Retribution. These changes should allow Finn to provide a much more significant portion of his team's damage and act as the driving force between taking the enemy down faster, rather than extending the battle infinitely.
    PvP Experience Changes
    These changes do not drastically alter the performance of the Finn-led Resistance squad in PvP, but his changes do offer the team some additional utility and a slight improvement in their PvP presence. With ramping damage now present on Finn’s basic ability and his 2nd special ability, the longer he can stay alive and the more turns he can take, the more potent he becomes. Determination goes a long way in making this a reality, as it provides not only an additional means of spreading damage around the team by providing Finn with the ability to Taunt, but also grants him Retribution which can give him a few free hits to ramp up damage on his basic ability. While these changes haven’t brought the Resistance squad into the current competitive meta, they can more handily dispose of teams such as Kylo Ren (Unmasked)-led First Order and General Kenobi-led Jedi.
    PvE Experience Changes
    Finn remains one of the best leaders for PvE and Raid content. Internal testing still has him performing as a top tier performer in the AAT (Phases 2, 3, and 4) and the Pit (Phases 1-4). We have internal testing figures that place this new Finn team able to do about 20% of Phase 3 of the Heroic Sith Triumvirate. That’s under our internal testing regime, which means mileage will vary (and our suspicion is it’s probably higher out in the wild of the live game with all the crafty theorycrafters out there). Overall, his ramping damage, team heal/sustain, and turn meter manipulation make him a potent weapon in the war on rampaging raid monsters.
    We think this should resolve the Finn-Threepio interaction moving forward. As our internal testing has shown that Finn matches or exceeds where he was prior to C-3PO's launch and we expect the community to push him even further, we have no intention of refunding the zeta associated with him. We look forward to your feedback on this proposed change.

<<DEV POST>>

This is CadenSkywalker from the HSTR Project on Discord. Where we help 11,000+ gamers learn to master HSTR. Fortunately we never advise players to invest in these uber teams for HSTR because they are always nerfed.

It is time for you guys to stop fixing characters and FIX THE RAID.

The fix to Finn assumes that people only use Finn with Resistance so they shouldn't care if he is changed. That is NOT true. One of the most effective anti Traya team comps was zFinn (and co) plus Nest. This effectively nerfs that team. There are entire guilds of players building PVP team comps around zFinn which are now disrupted....why not fix the raid instead.

Frankly this is getting old. It isn't just about the raid. Most long time players in the game are focused on PVP. That is what you keep disrupting with your changes and people are getting sick of it.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you guys keep introducing new content/toons, not testing them thoroughly, and then breaking the toons that people have spent a lot of time developing to fix your mistakes. That is not a winning strategy for you, your players, or your shareholders.
  • Only if TMR wasnt resistable, then this rework would not be much of a nerf.
  • Devian
    663 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Can you compensate 5 Zeta's for Finn's rework? I need more characters to make better =3
    Or just additional zeta for grievous, thnx!
  • WhoGotDeathSticks
    1 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I put this zeta on Finn the 2nd week he got one. I did not put it on for a loop that came 2yrs later by CGs own doing. We get punished for foolish moves like not testing c-3po enough to realize there's an infinite loop. Took the community 2 days to find it but CG couldn't figure that out in months of testing 3po. What a joke. Now Finn's kit completely changed and those who zetaed him originally (not for a sith raid loop) get punished. @CG_Carrie plz rethink the no zeta refund comment. Players should have a choice to keep the zeta or repurpose it instead of feeling we were sold one item and now received something else. False advertisement at it's worst
    Post edited by WhoGotDeathSticks on
  • Not cool cg
    I mainly use zfinn for lstb since it saves me needing a full g11/12 resistance team, that's out the window now
    Another nerf to an established toon to protect the shiny new thing that caused the problem
    Since there's a cls-3p0 loop that's just been discovered shall we expect a cls nerf as well?
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Ultra wrote: »
    Lets look at what this new kit does

>You need a squad of 5 resistance toons (good luck!)
    >15% TM gain to all resistance allies on hitting an exposed target
    >25% TM loss on target enemy depending on potency-tenacity check

I think the implication here is also that your TM gain and removal decreases each time a resistance ally is killed during battle so it keeps getting worse as the battle goes on

It also removes synergy with other toons that deal expose since the TM gain/loss is more significant

It would be more fun and thematic if *Determination* increased potency and tenacity when teammates died or debuffs applied - to a point

His leader ability doesn't specify active allies. Some abilities constantly check for ally status, but others (usually leader abilities) just check when the encounter starts. @CG_TopHat can we get a clarification, please? Will Finn's leader ability get weaker as other Resistance allies die off?

Sorry bro they are to busy thinking of new ways to ruin the game to respond.

It’s a weekend, they’ll get back to us on Monday.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I figure this "Change" is because Finns current kit is a threat to Revan and players are upset (whales). Otherwise it would have happened long ago, and the fix would have been to TRAYA not Finn. My two cents. Just a feeling having seen this type of "fix" happen over and over.. They nerfed JTR in SRT only. Finn is nerfed across the board. Why else but to stop him from being a clear and present danger to a newly released OP hero? This is my opinion, your mileage may vary. The only other explanation is CG's testing of new heroes needs a lot of improvement and possibly new, or more testers.
  • m0rality
    167 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I figure this "Change" is because Finns current kit is a threat to Revan and players are upset (whales). Otherwise it would have happened long ago, and the fix would have been to TRAYA not Finn. My two cents. Just a feeling having seen this type of "fix" happen over and over.. They nerfed JTR in SRT only. Finn is nerfed across the board. Why else but to stop him from being a clear and present danger to a newly released OP hero? This is my opinion, your mileage may vary. The only other explanation is CG's testing of new heroes needs a lot of improvement and possibly new, or more testers.

I dont think so. Most whales arent worried about how this impacts raids. They are concerned about how it impacts PVP.
  • m0rality wrote: »

I dont think so. Most whales arent worried about how this impacts raids. They are concerned about how it impacts PVP.

Whales run Finn lead in arena?
  • m0rality
    167 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    m0rality wrote: »

No. Most large guilds run zFinn as an anti-Traya team in TW. The best composition was zFinn, Poe, RT, zNest, R2 (or RP).
  • m0rality wrote: »
    m0rality wrote: »

No. Most large guilds run zFinn as an anti-Traya team in TW.

Right, whales will want the latest and greatest hero with go faster stripes.
This discussion has been closed.