GA is a forgone conclusion

13Next

Replies

• GA is not a game mode tailored towards players with collector type rosters, it does aim much more towards those players who have been more focused on farming toons to get the legendaries (RJT, CLS, Revan, Thrawn, etc). and who focus on individual squads and toons. That is just simple fact and is probably unlikely to change

What people have done with their time and resources is reflected in their roster and their GP.

If people do wish to improve their chances in GA then they need to sit down and work out how many teams they need for their GP bracket, decide which teams they want to use, then decide which toons they want to use in those teams. Then focus on those toons.

If all those toons and teams are maxed or at least competitive, then the rest of the roster is kinda irrelevant. The sooner people start down this path, the sooner you will see results.

Just my opinion mind, as with all things YMMV
  • GA is not a game mode tailored towards players with collector type rosters, it does aim much more towards those players who have been more focused on farming toons to get the legendaries (RJT, CLS, Revan, Thrawn, etc). and who focus on individual squads and toons. That is just simple fact and is probably unlikely to change

What people have done with their time and resources is reflected in their roster and their GP.

If people do wish to improve their chances in GA then they need to sit down and work out how many teams they need for their GP bracket, decide which teams they want to use, then decide which toons they want to use in those teams. Then focus on those toons.

If all those toons and teams are maxed or at least competitive, then the rest of the roster is kinda irrelevant. The sooner people start down this path, the sooner you will see results.

I take your point, but I disagree.

If the game had been clear about this from the start (you will be punished for farming wide) then fair enough.

However, many will have farmed wide rosters due to going after their favourites who are useless (mace windu et al).

Furthermore, I’d prefer my games to actually be competitive rather than just knowing I’m going to win or lose.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »

I don't care about inactivity. If players want to join GA and then forfeit every match it's fine with me.

You should. If a significant portion of the player base gives up, then the game starts to wither and die.

You shouldn't care either.
    Plus, are you seriously having fun stomping a roster that is significantly weaker than yours to the point where you can wipe their board without trying?
    I'm having fun over-all, yes. I know that not all 3 matches will be easy. I will battle strong(er) opponents as well each GA. I perceive my self as being above average, but not among the very best players. Winning 2/3 most GAs corresponds very well to this. It's much more fun for me, than if I ended up on the low ranks with 0 or 1 victory only and knowing that far weaker players (with similar GP) take top rank rewards, because they are match with other weak players.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    If you compare the two rosters in my original example, there is no way that is ever going to be a competitive match.

Sure the weaker player should have built a much better roster but that’s not the point. There’s not fun in stomping him into the ground. When I played him he didn’t even put down one of my defensive teams and I cleared his board, on auto.

In my experience this is the norm rather than the exeception, but I appreciate I am working on a small sample size and it may different for others.

Sample size probably isn't the issue, most likely you're an outlier yourself which results in you only facing significantly weaker opponents. Players who are at the very top or very bottom of their GP range will have mostly one sided matches.
    Save water, drink champagne!

If the game had been clear about this from the start (you will be punished for farming wide) then fair enough.

However, many will have farmed wide rosters due to going after their favourites who are useless (mace windu et al).

Furthermore, I’d prefer my games to actually be competitive rather than just knowing I’m going to win or lose.

Things within the game will change over time as it develops

Many people (myself included) farmed jawa's as it was then the only way to farm CD mods. Unitl recently they (and the Mace Windu you mention) were junk but now they do have a purpose

Peoples rosters will not be suited for every area of the game, some will not be great in GA but will be good for TB. This is a resource management game after all, the choices people have made and the choices they will NOW make about how to allocate those resources will reflect how effective their rosters will be in the areas of the game

Improvements can always be made, it just depends on how much someone wants to improve versus how much they just want to bemoan things
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    GA is not a game mode tailored towards players with collector type rosters, it does aim much more towards those players who have been more focused on farming toons to get the legendaries (RJT, CLS, Revan, Thrawn, etc). and who focus on individual squads and toons. That is just simple fact and is probably unlikely to change

Saying the game hasn't been clear about this from the start is a bit disengenious imo. Sure, there has been some incentive to build a broad roster, but it has always paid off to have a focussed roster, especially for pvp.
    Having alot of fluff / inflated GP isn't that big of an issue as long as you've also got the right teams to be competative. It's the collector type player that really suffers with the current matchmaking, but you can't really expect a collector type player to do well in competative game modes.
    I think people are mostly using it as an excuse for not performing better in GA.
  • leef wrote: »
    GA is not a game mode tailored towards players with collector type rosters, it does aim much more towards those players who have been more focused on farming toons to get the legendaries (RJT, CLS, Revan, Thrawn, etc). and who focus on individual squads and toons. That is just simple fact and is probably unlikely to change

Saying the game hasn't been clear about this from the start is a bit disengenious imo. Sure, there has been some incentive to build a broad roster, but it has always paid off to have a focussed roster, especially for pvp.
    Having alot of fluff / inflated GP isn't that big of an issue as long as you've also got the right teams to be competative. It's the collector type player that really suffers with the current matchmaking, but you can't really expect a collector type player to do well in competative game modes.
    I think people are mostly using it as an excuse for not performing better in GA.

True enough but I think GA exacerbates the penalties for this.

For example in the past you could have invested very heavily in one team for arena and then started to go for a wider roster without much notice.

To put it another way it seems a bit daft that there’s now no reason to farm a lot of the characters that are in the stores. Actually, it’s better not to, you’ll be punished for it heavily in GA.

To make things worse it means you will be heavily punished for taking a gamble on a new meta. Droids and general grevious would be a great example

Or how about jango fett? At one point he was top of arena and could take down traya. That lasted about a week. Now, you’d be better off running a bossk lead without him in most cases.

It takes a long time to farm and gear characters in this game. Punishing players for this seems unfair. It will exacerbate pay to win.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    leef wrote: »

True enough but I think GA exacerbates the penalties for this.

For example in the past you could have invested very heavily in one team for arena and then started to go for a wider roster without much notice.

To put it another way it seems a bit daft that there’s now no reason to farm a lot of the characters that are in the stores. Actually, it’s better not to, you’ll be punished for it heavily in GA.

To make things worse it means you will be heavily punished for taking a gamble on a new meta. Droids and general grevious would be a great example

Or how about jango fett? At one point he was top of arena and could take down traya. That lasted about a week. Now, you’d be better off running a bossk lead without him in most cases.

It takes a long time to farm and gear characters in this game. Punishing players for this seems unfair. It will exacerbate pay to win.

I don't see it as heavily punishing. It doesn't work in your favour, but that's about it.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Also, it's not like the rewards are that much better for #1 than for #8. It's not really hampering your progress if you don't perform admirably in GA.
    Also, it's not like the rewards are that much better for #1 than for #8. It's not really hampering your progress if you don't perform admirably in GA.

True. I think it refer to being heavily punished in terms of the loss of fun rather than the actual rewards if that makes sense.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    When are you heavily punished though? I mean, how many of the matches are super one sided, and how many of those are actually a problem for the players involved?
    Most of my tourneys have the same makeup of teams, 1/2/3 horrible rosters, 2/3/4/5 normal rosters, 1/2/3 potential winners. Seems to me that everyone has atleast one change to win, or at an evenly matched opponent. Isn't that good enough?
    When are you heavily punished though? I mean, how many of the matches are super one sided, and how many of those are actually a problem for the players involved?
    Most of my tourneys have the same makeup of teams, 1/2/3 horrible rosters, 2/3/4/5 normal rosters, 1/2/3 potential winners. Seems to me that everyone has atleast one change to win, or at an evenly matched opponent. Isn't that good enough?

My challenge would be, why not make it so that everyone has a chance to win every match.

It may be good enough. Why not make it better?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

My challenge would be, why not make it so that everyone has a chance to win every match.

i personally wouldn't like that at all to be honest. What's the point of working on my roster for GA if i'll have the same change of winning regardless?

i personally wouldn't like that at all to be honest. What's the point of working on my roster for GA if i'll have the same change of winning regardless?

I have to admit that I do agree with this. To get better at the GA game mode, which should mean you should get better rewards and have more fun, you will need to improve you roster. If this is not the case, what is the incentive to improve via planning or farming strategies?
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    Yep, the matchmaking sucks, and it doesn't matter whether you are on the winning or losing side, neither steamrolling your opponent nor getting steamrolled is fun. And fun should be the most important thing in a game.

i kinda like easy wins tbh.
    For the final it's inevitable that i face the strongest opponent, but for the first two rounds i'm hoping for the weakest possible opponents.

Unless you already beat the strongest opponent on your way to the final. (I assume, that by 'the final' you mean the final battle for rank 1).

• leef
    13458 posts Member
    Waqui wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »
    Yep, the matchmaking sucks, and it doesn't matter whether you are on the winning or losing side, neither steamrolling your opponent nor getting steamrolled is fun. And fun should be the most important thing in a game.

i kinda like easy wins tbh.
    For the final it's inevitable that i face the strongest opponent, but for the first two rounds i'm hoping for the weakest possible opponents.

Unless you already beat the strongest opponent on your way to the final. (I assume, that by 'the final' you mean the final battle for rank 1).
    ofcourse, but you get the point.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    :-)