Was Revan good for the game?

Prev1345
3qiqfr0i9xvv.png

Let’s hear it. The Revan Bindo combo allows anybody to take first. Was more variety and stronger defensive comps better for the game or is the Revan only all offense meta better.

Replies

• The way cg handles power creep is not good for the longevity of the game...but then ea only has the license until 2023 anyway.
  • It's a very difficult question. On the one hand, arena is hell now. On the other hand, we should be thankful that Revan was given out to everybody, because now everybody has the same chances.
    Maybe he should have never been created.
  • I think if they don't course correct and keep the older 4/5 of our roster at least relevant in GA and TW, then people will not only stop spending real $$, they will find something else to do with their time. And it's not just Revan, it's most anything they are putting out these days. You nearly need a Master Degree to just read through the power descriptions and with all the cannot be evaded, cannot be resisted, gain turn meter, gain health and protection buffs that cannot be removed, etc. etc. the game is changing in all the wrong ways.

It's too easy now to stock a defensive unit in GA or TW that simply can't be countered by 95% of your squads. Not only can it not be countered, it can't even dent the health or protection of an opposing meta squad even at G12. They've got to go back and fix that, the power creep is off the charts now.
  • Revan was a total mistake. Not because everybody has it now, but because the horrible gameplay of the squad! Boring, tedious,. Makes you wonder if this game is worthy!
    Of course the way it was released allowed everyone to have ot at the second time. No legendary required to unlock a heroe journey toon.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Ugnaught wrote: »
    The way cg handles power creep is not good for the longevity of the game...but then ea only has the license until 2023 anyway.

Only until 2023, haha.
    f this freemium game remains profitable from 2015 to 2023 i'd say it had an awesome run.

Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Not bad, not good.
    I actually like revan.
  • I honestly think jolee is the issue. Giving him a mass revive, making him pretty much immune to cc, and then making him tank all at once. Easy fix, after his mass heal he gets hit with a stack of exhaustion for each Jedi revived, each stack gives -10% speed and tenacity. Stacking until the end of battle. Cannot be cleansed.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Intrapidoo wrote: »
    Revan is probably the worst thing in the game. But than again you nerf a lot of teams/characters just because they can beat revan which is like salt into an open wound. Than what they did with territory wars is just pure joke all the bonuses should be removed especially the clone ones. But opening topics like that is i think pointless in many ways because until cg doesnt fire carrie we will have a pretty crap game.

i actually like the game quite alot. More diversity in arena would ofcourse be preferable over the overwhelming majority of revan teams in the top ranks, but stilll pretty fun game all around.
  • makoamagana
    121 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    I find it funny how these same threads appear during every meta defining toon. I’m just remembering all the “traya is OP”, “traya is ruining the game”, “my shard top 50 is all Traya”, “wall of trayas”, “was Traya good for the game?” threads. Revan is not unbeatable and this is proven by people using the cls, chewie/han, 3po squads. Yes top 50 is all revan, and 8 months ago top 50 was all Traya too. That’s just what happens with metas, this isn’t new. If you don’t like how long the mirror battles are just throw chewie in place of kenobi and if you don’t like all revans in arena then just wait for the next meta toon which should be soon.

TL;dr this isn’t new, find other squads to beat revan (spoiler: they exist) or wait for a few weeks more till the new meta toon is released. This is the circle of life.
  • Aluxtu wrote: »
    I honestly think jolee is the issue. Giving him a mass revive, making him pretty much immune to cc, and then making him tank all at once. Easy fix, after his mass heal he gets hit with a stack of exhaustion for each Jedi revived, each stack gives -10% speed and tenacity. Stacking until the end of battle. Cannot be cleansed.

This is my take on it. The problem actually sits with Bindos mass revive. The AI can’t handle it which allows anybody to climb.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Olddumper wrote: »
    Aluxtu wrote: »
    I honestly think jolee is the issue. Giving him a mass revive, making him pretty much immune to cc, and then making him tank all at once. Easy fix, after his mass heal he gets hit with a stack of exhaustion for each Jedi revived, each stack gives -10% speed and tenacity. Stacking until the end of battle. Cannot be cleansed.

This is my take on it. The problem actually sits with Bindos mass revive. The AI can’t handle it which allows anybody to climb.

i thought the problem was that revan was too effective on defense, because of that everyone and their uncle uses the team.
  • I beat Revan all day with tanky Traya. Revan is not unbeatable. Do mirror matches suck? Yes. Has it made arena a little more crazy because the 50-100 teams now can climb? Yes.
    But that’s about all it’s changes. It’s the swgoh circle of life. Soon their will be a new meta team, and it will wash away jedi Revan soon enough.
  • I mean the 80% thing is a bit hard to argue with... but it’s not like we haven’t seen this same scenario before, even if this time it’s been cranked up to 11 (but seriously the kit might be a bit much). Revan is a big hassle now, but by the end of the month grievous will be reworked, and we’ll have another reliable counter. Balance is always restored after it is taken away in this game.
  • Ugnaught
    481 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    leef wrote: »
    The way cg handles power creep is not good for the longevity of the game...but then ea only has the license until 2023 anyway.

Only until 2023, haha.
    f this freemium game remains profitable from 2015 to 2023 i'd say it had an awesome run.

Sure, but people talk like this is a "real" game. That's a great run for a phone game. If this was a mmorpg that wouldn't be considered an "awesome run". That's why I mentioned that minimizing power creep isn't as much of a concern here. This isn't EQ or wow or any number of other games that have a much longer lifespan.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Only until 2023, haha.

Sure, but people talk like this is a "real" game. That's a great run for a phone game. If this was a mmorpg that wouldn't be considered an "awesome run".

I don't know man, i think 8 years is a good run for pretty much any recently released game except for maybe mmorpg's (i'm not that familiar with those type of games).
    Just ask yourself, what game is being played for atleast 8 years and isn't considered a smashing success? I can't name any.
    regardless, the whole longevity/powercreep argument has been brought up many times before, yet here we are, still playing.
  • Blackbeardpepe
    1481 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Aluxtu wrote: »

Agreed. Nothing wrong with Revan besides his long kit. Jolee revive, and every toon that can revive, is what turns a match from fun to cringy.

Edit: the day that a character prevents revives and is meta, will be the day the game becomes balanced again.

Edit 2: I would love and cherish greivous if he prevents revives.
  • Pariah_Anchorite
    836 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    *sigh* Revan, Revan, Revan, meta, meta, meta.
    1. What percentage of total fan-base has Revan and company
    2. What percentage of total fan-base has the mods to be competitive in the high-end
    3. What percentage of total fan-base competes and refreshes arena to be competitive
    4. Did Revan do for the game what *they* wanted it to do
    5. Do you want/have Revan simply because it’s cool

This game is probably the most complex one I have ever played on my phone. Save mathematics of attack and defense (i.e. having to do it myself) and limited PVE campaigning, I find it on the level of warhammer in my pocket and game designers need to come out with kits that not only give us tools to play the game with progressive senses of power, but leave enough space for the next round of characters. The game has a rich background, sorry if they can’t get it right to our expectations. I will admit their testing needs work.

They did a pull, people wanted a BAMF from the depths of “canon,” got it (the Jedi version, BTW), and people still complain. Nobody wants a wussy or even slightly above average Revan. Of course, CG/EA will capitalize on it.

P.S.: Bring on Darth Revan, I am interested in the next level stuff
    Post edited by Pariah_Anchorite on
  • Note people were saying the same things about dodge meta killing the game and we are still here.... CG does tend to course correct so we should be fine...
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Intrapidoo wrote: »
    Note people were saying the same things about dodge meta killing the game and we are still here.... CG does tend to course correct so we should be fine...

Thats why they need to nerf everything that can take on revan right? For the most part its true the game had a long run, but because of the incompetent worthless people running it like carrie it is on a fast decline for the better.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but it seems like you're just salty because they nerfed finn and completely lost your objectivity because of that. Or was it nest you're salty about? Don't tell me, it's both?
  • It was great for my game
  • Gawejn
    1105 posts Member
    I think Revan is completely excellent toon and Jedi were never so strong as they are nów. I like that, and I enjoy playing against Revan teams. It is a challange everytime in arena.
  • No. Revan is garbage. Disclaimer: I own a max Revan team and cls/c3po and traya, so it's not a matter of missing out. The recent power leaps (bc "creep" is a misnomer) is making many parts of the game unfun. The requirement of super-teams to beat an average geared squad is just lame. Tired of having to battle basically the same 3 to 4 teams in every area of the game using my same 3 to 4 squads. I basically only look forward to altered Grand Arena (not 5v5) and some of the PvE events. PvP in all other areas is a chore.
  • Ugnaught
    481 posts Member
    edited February 2019

Only until 2023, haha.

Sure, but people talk like this is a "real" game. That's a great run for a phone game. If this was a mmorpg that wouldn't be considered an "awesome run".

I don't know man, i think 8 years is a good run for pretty much any recently released game except for maybe mmorpg's (i'm not that familiar with those type of games).
    Just ask yourself, what game is being played for atleast 8 years and isn't considered a smashing success? I can't name any.
    regardless, the whole longevity/powercreep argument has been brought up many times before, yet here we are, still playing.

There are so many games that could be listed to not even make it worth compiling a list...

Power creep is a necessary part of the business model here. I'm not sure what your point is?
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Only until 2023, haha.

There are so many games that could be listed to not even make it worth compiling a list...

Power creep is a necessary part of the business model here. I'm not sure what your point is?
    That's exactly my point, but with your earlier statement you seemed to imply that it's somehow bad for the longevity of the game.
    Anyway, it seems to me that ea/cg is doing just fine managing the powercreep since we're here, three and a half year after the game's initial release. There probably hasn't been a single month in which no one complained about the powercreep in those 3.5 years though..
  • Define "Good". Based on their falling position on google plays top grossing, I would say no. But one may have nothing to do with the other.
  • Revan was good for the game. There. Question answered.
  • I’m personally tired of timing out in arena. The Revan meta is the worst part of this game.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I’m personally tired of timing out in arena. The Revan meta is the worst part of this game.

Step your game up, don't time out anymore. Prior to revan's 2nd event i liked battling vs revan more than vs cls/nest. (granted, it's mainly due to me being a noob and screwing up vs nest more often than i care to admit)