why does SWGOH have so many timeouts in the arena compared to Marvel Strike Force?

I have played this game for quite some time, and it seems the developers have intentionally created teams (mainly Bastilla) that are meant to test the limits of the 5 minute limit all the time. Even with all the new teams in Marvel Strike Force, I've rarely had time outs in the arena. I've had time outs in the raids for Marvel Strike Force, but it hasn't happened in the arena. I know some people here play both games, and I tell you right now that Marvel Strike Force is running circles around Star Wars in terms of game development and features. This time out problem is just another flaw that Star Wars Galaxy of Heroes has that MSF doesn't.

Replies

• Timeouts are caused by one of two things.

1 an Inferior player controlled team facing against a superior ai controlled team. The ai makes a lot of stupid mistakes that prevent it winning while the player uses superior human intelligence to take advantage of dumb ai dragging the fight out.
    2. Bad human play with a superior team.
    3. Poor device hardware. I recently switched from a 3 year old spec device to a new device and my average arena battle (Traya vs revan) went from three and a half minutes to two and a half minutes.
  • Intrapidoo wrote: »
    Maybe because 1 is an actually fun game and the other is just star wars but the worst game in history?

MSF is fun? Since when?
  • MSF is young and hasn’t needed to come out with complex kits. Their time will come. Plus msf sucks
  • TWings
    59 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    CamaroAMF wrote: »
    Intrapidoo wrote: »
    Maybe because 1 is an actually fun game and the other is just star wars but the worst game in history?

MSF is fun? Since when?
    Since it's actually way more balanced and with a much better reward system than SWGOH have ever been.

SWGOH endgame tiemouts are mostly the result of the insane power creep on top of protection / health regeneration or even resurection skills with an average damage output actually failing to catch up. Most of the best teams are actually relying more or less on this same trick, making the battle longer than they should.

That behing said, get ready to see this thread disappear in no time. ;)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    timing out is for noobs. Blame the game all you want, or say something about me, but it's the truth.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Its amazing how many different titles ppl can come up with that are just skins of boooooo hooooooo too many revans booo hooo i cant sit on 1 all day booo hoooo battles take too long and are boring booooo hooooo
  • MSF is is Ridiculously greedy. If you compare prices between the 2 games swgoh has way better value. Gear is far better in swgoh too. MSF bottle necks every single character with the same gear piece. At least swgoh uses a few different bottlenecks instead of just 1.

MSF may be prettier and fresher, but it's not near as good as swgoh. Not even close.
  • Intrapidoo wrote: »
    Why do you play the game then?
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    I have yet to timeout in any arena battle
  • SWGOH is a heck of a lot more F2P friendly than MSF.

Look at how many F2P success stories we have on this forum. :D
  • Ultra
    11454 posts Moderator
    Kokie wrote: »
    I have yet to timeout in any arena battle
    Same. I run the same teams everyone else is. I even ran a weaker team for the past 3 days compared to everyone else in my shard and I still haven't timed out. People don't know how to play their characters or how/who to attack (adapt) to the situation
  • MSF is garbage.

As far as time outs. Ive had only 2 revan mirror time outs. 1 because I was lucky and one because i was stupid.
  • Tyrant321 wrote: »
    Gear is far better in swgoh too. MSF bottle necks every single character with the same gear piece. At least swgoh uses a few different bottlenecks instead of just 1.
    Surely we're not talking about the same games ! lol
    When SWGOH requires stuff like the exact same stun gun part for every toon at every freacking gear lvl, MSF requires actual different gear parts for different gear level. You will never need a gear 8 part for for a gear 12 piece in MSF, that makes the gear farming so much better.

I've been playing both for a long time, and the farming feels way more better in MSF. There are so many ways to get some extra gear parts, extra shards... The daily challenges and raids are actually giving away useful stuff. SWGOH could learn a lot from it imo. tbh, if it wasn't for the Star Wars licence, I'd surely have stop playing SWGOH a long time ago (I may have not even try it to begin with).
  • What is marvel strike force?
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    What is marvel strike force?

It's like starting this game over, but with different skins.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Oh No Kyno it's much worse than that.

However, firstly to answer OP's question. If you are even slightly familiarised with Marvel Strike Force, you would know one thing: "Red Stars"

It is a system on top of the normal 7 star count, where your character gets an additional % boost (1%, 2%, 5%, 10%, 30%, 50%, and 70%). These red stars are all RNG dependent on an "Orb" system which is akin to our packs, but it has absolutely terrible odds of pulling a 6* or 7*. You are also unable to pick what character you get out of the Pack, and there are A LOT of CUP level minion toons in that game. These orbs are also on sale from time to time at insane prices around $30 for 12/13 orbs at a time. With nearly 100 characters in game and a 0.05% chance of getting a 7* character, statistically you get around 1 per 2-3 years of playing (F2P)

With that understanding in mind, Now back to arena in MSF. Imagine you are playing swgoh arena with your GK at G12+, 100k protection+ health. Out comes your opponent with G11 but he has 160K health+ protection and more than double your damage, armor, resistance, potency, tenacity, everything. Why? Since he has RED stars! All your gear and investment into your toon doesnt matter. He has RED stars. They apply flat to any character without any gear requirement and take effect regardless of your star level! You can have a 1* CUP at G1 7 red stars and he will still beat your higher geared toons!

And if you look towards the launch shard's top end of the arena in MSF (since I am only concerned with the top players, which, frankly may not be OP's concern, if you are still playing against bastila in arena at this point in swgoh you are either pretty mediocre or a relatively new player) ALL the opponents have a team of 5 Red stars or 7 Red stars. There's literally no way of catching up. Even if you max out all your toons at G13 (Yes there's already G13 in MSF) and level 70 you will still be unable to win. There are no mods, no other external farmable way to improve your characters. All you can do is pray.

As such, the arena is normally quick. You either mow down enemies with your built up Red star teams, or you get mowed down easily by other Red Star teams. All toons go predetermined. There are no mods in the game. If your character is the fastest (Black Widow probably which is also unfarmable since launch), you always get to go first. At least in swgoh I get to see a bit of variation and not bothered by Bull RNG.
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    I think I got to like lvl 30-40 in MSF, and then quit and went back to only playing GOH. I decided to give it another shot, which lasted for about a week

There was plenty about that game that I thought were just worst versions of this game. Although I hear this game in it's early days was a lot closer to MSF (didn't play all three years), I felt like that game didn't even approach the bar this game sets.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Aplus wrote: »
    It is a system on top of the normal 7 star count, where your character gets an additional % boost (1%, 2%, 5%, 10%, 30%, 50%, and 70%). These red stars are all RNG dependent on an "Orb" system which is akin to our packs, but it has absolutely terrible odds of pulling a 6* or 7*. You are also unable to pick what character you get out of the Pack, and there are A LOT of CUP level minion toons in that game. These orbs are also on sale from time to time at insane prices around $30 for 12/13 orbs at a time. With nearly 100 characters in game and a 0.05% chance of getting a 7* character, statistically you get around 1 per 2-3 years of playing (F2P)
    I did pretty good with my CUP level minion crew, running Hand. Nobu and his faceless ninja buddies. That lineup was about the only thing that kept me in as long as I stayed. But I got fed up with that game before stuff like this came out.
    Still not a he.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Naraic wrote: »
    Timeouts are caused by one of two things.

1 an Inferior player controlled team facing against a superior ai controlled team. The ai makes a lot of stupid mistakes that prevent it winning while the player uses superior human intelligence to take advantage of dumb ai dragging the fight out.
    3. Poor device hardware. I recently switched from a 3 year old spec device to a new device and my average arena battle (Traya vs revan) went from three and a half minutes to two and a half minutes.

Point #3 is very underrated. I'm using a Samsung S4 and the game became nearly unplayable on mobile vs these Revan squads with their massive buff spreading and endless back to back actions that are all creating game stuttering/lagging. Once I started playing on computer using NOX time issues were gone. Now I try to avoid playing on mobile, quite sad tbh since we're talking about a "mobile" game.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • It was already said but its because strike force is younger meaning less complex kits and less character choices resulting in less op teams

If you look at swgoh early metas you see even without the x4 speed battles were over in under a minute with droids then poe ect... but people didnt like it because you couldnt make any strat its just fastest teams clear the field so cg made teams tankier across the board leading to longer fights and more choices and that trend has cont since
  • Legend91 wrote: »
    Naraic wrote: »
    Timeouts are caused by one of two things.

Point #3 is very underrated. I'm using a Samsung S4 and the game became nearly unplayable on mobile vs these Revan squads with their massive buff spreading and endless back to back actions that are all creating game stuttering/lagging. Once I started playing on computer using NOX time issues were gone. Now I try to avoid playing on mobile, quite sad tbh since we're talking about a "mobile" game.

I play on an iphone 6 and have no lag in arena with all the revan...
  • HK666
    1263 posts Member
    I also play on an iphone 6 and sometimes I lag
  • Aplus wrote: »
    Kyno wrote: »

Oh No Kyno it's much worse than that.

However, firstly to answer OP's question. If you are even slightly familiarised with Marvel Strike Force, you would know one thing: "Red Stars"

With that understanding in mind, Now back to arena in MSF. Imagine you are playing swgoh arena with your GK at G12+, 100k protection+ health. Out comes your opponent with G11 but he has 160K health+ protection and more than double your damage, armor, resistance, potency, tenacity, everything. Why? Since he has RED stars! All your gear and investment into your toon doesnt matter. He has RED stars. They apply flat to any character without any gear requirement and take effect regardless of your star level! You can have a 1* CUP at G1 7 red stars and he will still beat your higher geared toons!

And if you look towards the launch shard's top end of the arena in MSF (since I am only concerned with the top players, which, frankly may not be OP's concern, if you are still playing against bastila in arena at this point in swgoh you are either pretty mediocre or a relatively new player) ALL the opponents have a team of 5 Red stars or 7 Red stars. There's literally no way of catching up. Even if you max out all your toons at G13 (Yes there's already G13 in MSF) and level 70 you will still be unable to win. There are no mods, no other external farmable way to improve your characters. All you can do is pray.

As such, the arena is normally quick. You either mow down enemies with your built up Red star teams, or you get mowed down easily by other Red Star teams. All toons go predetermined. There are no mods in the game. If your character is the fastest (Black Widow probably which is also unfarmable since launch), you always get to go first. At least in swgoh I get to see a bit of variation and not bothered by Bull RNG.
    You're just proving you barely know anything about MSF. Half of what you're saying is completely wrong...
    Even though I'm not the biggest fan of red stars, it's not that broken. Contrary to what you're saying, a 1* minion at G1, 7 red stars is complete trash and can be one shot by anyone. If he's only 1*, it means it has only 1 active red star (so an amazing 2% stats boost). Then, with gear 1, you have very poor stats (+2% on low stats is still low stats). And, honestly a good synergy team will beat any random high red stared team anyday. Because red stars have actually been tested and pretty well balanced. But if you don't know that, I guess you're probably mostly trolling.

I'd say the fact that there are no mods is actually a blessing. It allows for more teams and players to be arena competitive, because speed isn't the the decisive factor.

But hey, I love how many of you guys seem to love SWGOH so much more. Well, good for you. I shouldn't see your names on some random complaint threads on this forum then. ;)
  • MadScientist92
    82 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Kyno wrote: »

And MSF has a lot more popups asking you to spend....at least for the short time I played it.
  • If you like MSF so much better, why don't you just play that instead? Do you think a CG dev is going to read this and go "oh gosh, random_nooblet_01 thinks MSF is better, we should change our entire game to be like that one?"
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    TWings wrote: »
    Since it's actually way more balanced and with a much better reward system than SWGOH have ever been.
    Sure, it’s easier to be more “balanced” when you just have some basic, cookie cutter kits with little variance between builds. MSF is a dumbed down version of this game. Played it for about a month and it was sooooo boring. I am sure 12 year olds would find MSF a fun, entertaining game to play but MSF is light years behind SWGOH in terms of development.

I got Revan this last time around and my team has been around 25-40 in arena while I build up Revan and Jolee. It is extremely rare for me to get below 2 minutes left on the clock in my mirror matches and that’s even with some slightly faster Revans on the other side. You need to re-think your strategy if you’re have that many problems with timeouts. Either that or your team is running some weak mods and you’re biting off more than you can chew.
  • TWings wrote: »
    Sure, it’s easier to be more “balanced” when you just have some basic, cookie cutter kits with little variance between builds. MSF is a dumbed down version of this game. Played it for about a month and it was sooooo boring. I am sure 12 year olds would find MSF a fun, entertaining game to play but MSF is light years behind SWGOH in terms of development.

I mean I agree with this, but in fairness, when SWGOH was the age that MSF is now, it wasn't much different. I used to do really well in arena with Phasma, Stick Rey, Qui-Gon, Princess Leia, and Royal Guard (lolz), because "doing lots of damage" was the only strategy you needed.

Mods, ships, legendary characters, bounty hunter payouts, half of the buffs and debuffs that we have now - none of that stuff existed for quite a while. Teebo, one of the most-maligned "useless" characters we have now, used to be crucial for beating the Rancor because turn meter drain was such a rare ability.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• TWings
    59 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    TWings wrote: »
    So it's down to insulting anyone who disagrees with you to try to prove your point ?

MSF characters kits are way more interesting and well thought than SWGOH's. It's not the number of skills or the length of their descritption that makes a good build. The battles also include more strategy like character placement (du to aoes and chain skills).
    As for beeing "light years behind in terms of development". Funny that you mentionned that when some of the last new debuffs or new features to come in SWGOH were in MSF from the start...

So my guess is, CG do look at what the competition is doing and they do sometimes improve SWGOH accordingly. That's a good thing and hopefully they'll end up making SWGOH more enjoyable.