Mods: How to decide whether to use offense or crit sets?

plindboe
281 posts Member
edited February 2019
I've played this game for years, and I still have very little clue about which characters need offense sets and which need critical chance/critical dmg.

I'm not talking about when the kits make it obvious what set the character in question will benefit the most from (for instance IG-86 and B1), or when certain leader abilities determine which sets the other team members should use (for instance HK-47's and Nihilus'). What I'm confused about is what the character stats should look like, for me to equip an offense mod set instead of a crit dmg set and vice versa.

One option I've tried, is to look on crouching rancor. Another is the mod meta report on swgoh.gg. But when I compare the characters that each of them recommend to use offense sets for, there's almost no overlap. I've also been thinking that attackers with the lowest base crit chance are the ones that will benefit the most from an offense set, so I've been sorting by physical crit and special crit on swgoh.gg and trying to come up with ideas. Is that a useful approach or not?

How do you guys decide?

Crouching rancor: http://apps.crouchingrancor.com/Mods/Advisor
swgoh.gg mod meta report: https://swgoh.gg/mod-meta-report/
swgoh.gg character stats: https://swgoh.gg/characters/stats/

Replies

• If there's no clear advantage in the ability descriptions, I generally go with whichever I have available with the best speed secondaries.

If you really want to get hard numbers, you'll need to factor in speed, cooldowns and use some arbitrary number of actions to represent a battle.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    A general rule of thumb is low crit chance should be offense. However, the actual break point can fluctuate, as the offense set benefit is mitigated by offense from mods and unequipped gear (the bonus only calculates off of base offense), and the CD set benefit can be effectively reduced from additional CD bonuses (leaders, uniques, buffs, stacking CD). It's actually possible with enough CD bonuses to get more benefit from an offense set even when CC is 1. But this can swing the other way again if your offense from mods is extremely high.

So you can extend the rule of thumb to this: Offense when CC is low or you have a lot of additional sources of CD, or CD when CC is high or you have a lot of offense (primaries and secondaries) from mods.
  • I have made the extended calculations to see what is better (I can give them to you, but they a bit long to post here)

A crit damage set and a offense damage set do the same damage on a critical when crit chance is 80% (both having a +36% crit damage triangle and only the square with +5.88% offense). Above 80% crit damage set is better, below 80% offense set is better.

Linear +× offense mods and linear +x damage from unfinished sets affect the following way:

On an offense set is ( x * 1.86)
    On a crit damage set is ( x * 2.16)
    So the crit damage set benefits 0.30x more

The extra stats from unfinished gear sets go to base damage and thus do not change the 80% status

The unique and leadership bonuses to crit damage will make to always do more damage with an offense set if you achieve a 211.76% crit damage (with a 5.88 square) or 217% (with a 8.5 square). In both cases the triangle possible crit damage will make you get those % easily.
    Like: +30% leader RJT +42% triangle +150= 222%

If you need the calculations, PM me
    Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Juzz wrote: »
    I have made the extended calculations to see what is better (I can give them to you, but they a bit long to post here)

A crit damage set and a offense damage set do the same damage on a critical when crit chance is 80% (both having a +36% crit damage triangle and only the square with +5.88% offense). Above 80% crit damage set is better, below 80% offense set is better.

Linear +× offense mods and linear +x damage from unfinished sets affect the following way:

On an offense set is ( x * 1.86)
    On a crit damage set is ( x * 2.16)
    So the crit damage set benefits 0.30x more

The extra stats from unfinished gear sets go to base damage and thus do not change the 80% status

The unique and leadership bonuses to crit damage will make to always do more damage with an offense set if you achieve a 211.76% crit damage (with a 5.88 square) or 217% (with a 8.5 square). In both cases the triangle possible crit damage will make you get those % easily.
    Like: +30% leader RJT +42% triangle +150= 222%

If you need the calculations, PM me

Flat offense from mods and equipped gear do not get boosted by the offense set bonus. This will affect the crit chance break point because you are not getting the full 15% of the set. The 15% affects the base, and other flat and mod bonuses are added on top of that.
  • If you want a general rule the easiest determiner is whether their abilities do special damage or physical damage.

Physical damage = Crit Damage
    Special Damage = Offense

This is because in general special crit chance is much lower than physical crit chance, so the breaking points are easier to reach with physical damage.
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Codinapkin wrote: »
    If you want a general rule the easiest determiner is whether their abilities do special damage or physical damage.

Physical damage = Crit Damage
    Special Damage = Offense

This is because in general special crit chance is much lower than physical crit chance, so the breaking points are easier to reach with physical damage.

That seems like a REALLY general rule...my Palp for example has more special cc than physical. And if you mod for crit chance, for some characters you might hit the breakpoint easily.
  • I thought I remembered seeing somebody make a mathy chart thing that basically showed that over a long fight (i.e. raid solo type stuff) offense was better, but for anything else crit would outperform it. If you want to take "something I kind of vaguely remember from several months ago" as a source.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    That chart isn't over time, it's CC break point for whatever numbers were used. But CC isn't fixed; as I've been trying to explain, you don't always get the full 115% offense from the set.

This thread is entirely too long and contains much arguing:

https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/178067/so-will-critical-damage-mod-sets-now-be-useless/p1

You can see my calculation for cc point is this:

1/(1.5+2p-x),

Where x is total crit damage boosts (ie, +0.42 from triangle, +0.50 from CD Up buff for a total of x=0.92), and p is the amount of offense added from mods and gear as a percentage of base offense. You can split this up into (z+y/b) where z is total mod percentage bonuses, y is flat bonuses from mods and gear, and b is base offense.
  • Somebody else probably already made these. I made them too.
    yYo5euL.png
    zVSrsbq.png
  • A good general breakpoint is 65-70% cc.

With lots of offense boosts from mods you could see the breakpoint get down to near 50%
  • Codinapkin
    25 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    crzydroid wrote: »

That seems like a REALLY general rule...my Palp for example has more special cc than physical. And if you mod for crit chance, for some characters you might hit the breakpoint easily.

That's the point of a general rule, there are 6 toons with higher special crit than physical crit, and the highest special crit rating is only 400 while the highest physical crit rating is 1145. The lowest physical crit rating starts at 234 as well while there are many toons with a special crit rating of 0.

CritChance = (CritRating / 2400) + 0.1 formula from crinolo on reddit and stats available on swgoh.gg

So in general, if you don't want to math out the perfect mods and just want to quickly determine which set is better look at the type of damage they do.