Was Revan good for the game?

Replies

• Aluxtu wrote: »
    I don't know but I have seen a lot more people quit this game in the last few months, more then who quit the game after cls. Look at your friends list, it can be pretty telling.

Well , your sample size isn’t big enough to prove anything. It’s not really empirical evidence. It’s enough to make you believe what you want to believe, clearly.

• Revan is awful for the game and traya was too.
  • I think the crap like nerfing zfinn hurt the game. It was an unnecessary change.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    A character who gets stronger by getting hit repeatedly is just poor design - both from a realism standpoint and game play enjoyment.

Son Goku would disaggree!
  • I miss the days when kits were simple. If you had a good understanding of mods, two good attackers, a dispeller, a good taunter, and good support character in your team you could generally do well enough to hang in the top 50. I dont even know whats contained in most of the kits that come out now, and the overpowered, faction based synergies make it really difficult to adjust with creative squads that can compete. You can no longer hang in the top 50 without farming the latest releases

Typically, most teams in the top 20 have been similar, but Ive never seen this many teams in the top 100 that consist of the exact same toons, and ive never had this much trouble beating the meta. If it wasnt for grand arena in to give me some more excitement in pvp play, i would have quit weeks ago. Arena simply isnt fun anymore and they really need to tone things down or theyre going to kill the game
  • I think we could even rate each character by counting the total number of words in their ability description
  • If you have him yes. If not then it sucks.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Stick wrote: »
    Aluxtu wrote: »
    I don't know but I have seen a lot more people quit this game in the last few months, more then who quit the game after cls. Look at your friends list, it can be pretty telling.

Well , your sample size isn’t big enough to prove anything. It’s not really empirical evidence. It’s enough to make you believe what you want to believe, clearly.

No but I read that post and went into my friends list and 60% of them were not playing anymore.... now I have not checked that list in over 6 months...and it did allow the rest of my guild to friend me..

But that's a lot of turn over even for a masssssssively small sample size
  • Gorem wrote: »
    Revan has ruined the meta and single handidly ruined other characters because they were nerfed to compensate, if you come up with a Revan counter, it was nerfed. Revan has extra clauses in his leader to counter literally every meta at the time. His Leader that stops tm gain literally only effects two other characters, Bast and Maul, Maul that used to be a counter before the Nest nerf, and Bast which would have worked against him if not for all the clauses against her.

He was designed for one reason, Revenue, they didn't care it would ruin the game for many people. They didn't care that it would make matches time out or that mirror matches would be cancer.

And stop with the terrible I can't think of anything so here's this excuse "Oh this again, oh its happened before, of one of these threads" ect. it doesn't make you look smart.

The fact is the arena meta pre-Revan was perfect. Traya beat Bast. Palp beat Traya. Bast Beat Palp. It was a perfect Paper scissors rock meta.

Just like ships too before Falcon ruined ship arena. They have forced these meta's onto us because they want to control what everyone uses. Notice how we all have to play the game longer now? Interesting, hey.

On this note, am i the only one who has noticed that they removed the nest nerf?
    Nest can be marked down to almost no health, and is back to stacking massive protection. I dropped way down in arena due to it. Now my scoundrels are climbing again. Worse case i time out.
  • Forget Rank 1-10, look at the Rank 1-100!

1060o0mmjbnj.jpg

I don't know how anyone could argue that Revan hasn't been devastating to the PvP part of the game. Even those who pose CLS and Traya as counter-arguments...I would have to see the numbers to back that up. Maybe the top 10 or top 20 were 75%+ of the meta teams, but the top 100 being almost 80% the exact same team is unprecedented (which is awful for the game, FYI). Territory War is basically ruined as well.
  • Dryff wrote: »
    Forget Rank 1-10, look at the Rank 1-100!

1060o0mmjbnj.jpg

I don't know how anyone could argue that Revan hasn't been devastating to the PvP part of the game. Even those who pose CLS and Traya as counter-arguments...I would have to see the numbers to back that up. Maybe the top 10 or top 20 were 75%+ of the meta teams, but the top 100 being almost 80% the exact same team is unprecedented (which is awful for the game, FYI). Territory War is basically ruined as well.

How many people still don’t have Traya? I guarantee you, the only reason Traya wasn’t like this is because of how hard it was to obtain her.
  • Ya exactly. It’s easier to get revan then traya.
    Longer farm for traya and you need a reliable guild. If revan had those obstacles, he wouldn’t be as dominant.
  • Stick wrote: »
    Ya exactly. It’s easier to get revan then traya.
    Longer farm for traya and you need a reliable guild. If revan had those obstacles, he wouldn’t be as dominant.

The fact that the character's kit exists n the game is the issue, not the number of obstacles towards getting the character
  • Revan, the character, was a good add to the game (Although I can care less about KOTOR). However, Revan the Kit is way too OP and I know many people have lost interest in the game because of it. Hoping to get back to more variety soon.
  • CaptainRex
    2840 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    CaptainRex wrote: »
    Revan is as good for the game as any of the terrible power creep kits have, or will be.

The funny thing about Revan is that after they released CLS, there was later an admission that CLS was too powerful and they would not release a character that was that dominant again. And yet, here we are.

Probably because the bean counters saw how much money he made. They've made it progressively worse each time. CLS was essentially free to long time players. JTR required a little more investment, but they were both cantina farms. Revan ramped that WAY up. They'll just keep pushing and pushing and pushing...
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • Olddumper wrote: »
    I dont think Revan himself hurt the game. I think all the nerfs they have done to protect Revan and the STR are what's killing this game tbh.

This a great point IMO revan was kind of a lemon. Only combined with bindo is he an issue and he still doesn’t hold. But they messed with so many toons ex post facto that it smothered new content.

Yeah the Sith Raid is probably the worst thing that has ever happened to this game. Just when you think it's finally done hurting you (been a year since release), it comes back and kills another toon (Finn).
    #CloneHelmets4Life...VICTORY!!!! :smiley: "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." The more you tighten your grip, CG/EA, the more whales will slip through your fingers (and go F2P or quit).
  • CaptainRex wrote: »
    Olddumper wrote: »
    I dont think Revan himself hurt the game. I think all the nerfs they have done to protect Revan and the STR are what's killing this game tbh.

This a great point IMO revan was kind of a lemon. Only combined with bindo is he an issue and he still doesn’t hold. But they messed with so many toons ex post facto that it smothered new content.

Yeah the Sith Raid is probably the worst thing that has ever happened to this game. Just when you think it's finally done hurting you (been a year since release), it comes back and kills another toon (Finn).

The sith raid is one of the reasons why I'm still playing the game.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Legend91 wrote: »

Why is that? Rewards suck. Best thing is the tokens that allow me to get stuff I actually need
  • Legend91 wrote: »

Why is that? Rewards suck. Best thing is the tokens that allow me to get stuff I actually need

although the statement did not come from me, I can answer:

the majority of players IS NOT doing the heroic Sithraid (yet).

I am member of a 110m guild, that has around 10 strong members (me included at roughly 4m gp), that used to be able to carry the lower gamers throughout hPit (in the beginning) and later hAAT. This concept doesn‘t work anymore with STR and we are still in the middle of preparation to get more and more guildmates on board to farm for Jedi Rey and Nightsisters as well. We feel like getting closer, but it will still take months until we have a serious shot at heroic.

So hSTR is also keeping me interested in the game, despite hating the raid a lot for being such a pain. I also dislike the nerfing of possible solo phases, as this would have been parts of the raid where the strong mates with deep rosters could have taken weight of the rest.
  • Yes and no.
    I think it was really good for jedi to come back into the meta after being gone for so long. However, how it was done has me questioning. Paragraphs that lead to hard countering certain characters (nest) isn't great I don't think. CG doing everything they could to ensure he was dominant in arena instead of just strong might not have been good for long term. Because as we're seeing now, power creep is ramping up hard.
    I really enjoy revan. I think its fun to have him as lead. It felt really good when I got him (2nd time). But I'm worried that he's setting a precedent of "newest thing so good you must change or be obsolete" that will burn me out fast.
    Look, I'm not going in on Grevious and the droids because I just unlocked Grevious today, I don't have B2 unlocked, and I'm not droping the ~$600 to get B1 and Droidika to 7 stars. Also, I'll G12 Revan on Thursday. It looks like Grevious is designed to hard counter Revan, and be really strong going forward. But I want to finally farm Imperial Troopers, and we've got the Darth Revan or Malak character coming in march or April. The release cadence is now too fast for me to realistically play catch up. I'm hoping for 5 star C3P0 unlock on the 2nd time around, and 7 star Chewie on the 3rd time. However, that might not happen because new shiny OP thing will cause me to change plans.
    I'm also concerned that we'll reach a place where new things counter new things, new things stomp old things, and some old things counter other old things. So TW/TB no longer reward overall investment, but only those who have invested so heavily in the new things. I'm concerned that there will soon be a point that the advice will be to ignore CLS/JTR/Thrawn/Emperor because they are just too old and not strong enough anymore and instead focus on Revan, Grevious, Darth whatever, and maybe C3p0. (though it looks like even c3p0 is too old and going to get left behind.)
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Legend91 wrote: »

1) The rewards are very good for heroic (there is a significant drop between top 1-10 and 11-50 which is a known issue but rewards are still very much worth the effort).
    2) I'm a theorycrafter. Finding new team compositions that do well in the HSR is a thing that keeps me busy and interested in the game.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • CaptainRex wrote: »
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Revan is as good for the game as any of the terrible power creep kits have, or will be.

The funny thing about Revan is that after they released CLS, there was later an admission that CLS was too powerful and they would not release a character that was that dominant again. And yet, here we are.

Probably because the bean counters saw how much money he made. They've made it progressively worse each time. CLS was essentially free to long time players. JTR required a little more investment, but they were both cantina farms. Revan ramped that WAY up. They'll just keep pushing and pushing and pushing...

CLS was the last truly strong individual character. Everything since then (JTR, Traya, Revan) have been way more OP but needed factions built around them to reach that potential. It makes them more money because instead of needing to farm 1-5 toons to be competative in a meta shift, you now have to farm 5-20. So what they said was true, from a certain point of view
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Revan

Good

1) Let's you beat ground war, GW, Arena, TW, on auto (he's QOL)
    2) High HSTR scores

BAD
    1) He's OP and by relegating 90 percent of the game into obscurity he has made the game much less fun
    2) Battles long and annoying less fun
    3) He has just made the game less fun a LOT less fun

so final review is that the fun revan has taken away from this game is a lot worse than the benefits of an HSTR score or some events...

If darth revan/malak adds to the unfunness of the game..... i will be sad :(
  • zaljko_petrescu
    109 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Absolutely not. He was so far above any other team in arena (minus perhaps Traya, which very many did not have in Sept 2018 and STILL don’t to this day) that it made arena simply a chore. To this day it’s very difficult to win in arena without Revan to the point that there really is no point in using any other team. CLS is a total RNG-fest even with borderline-God mods and forget about trying to take him out with any team other than (as I mentioned above) Traya.

It’s just boring, monotonous, and contrary to the spirit of the game that Carrie keeps mentioning about “being able to live your own Star Wars fantasy” (or some such).

Then again, they’ve never really harped on character balance as a core element of their design philosophy, have they?
  • Kiser76
    12 posts Member
    DT_Jango wrote: »
    Look, it's simple. The ones who constantly complain about the meta and <insert OP toon here> are salty because the meta didnt change or stay in THIER favor. You have to consistently evolve and try new things to stay relevant in arena or you will get left in the dust. Stop crying and blaming others. Stop being outraged over every single got daymed thing the devs do. Most of you had the same opportunities and could have easily farmed for revan and would be sitting pretty right now in arena. I'm happy that a lot of you chuckleheads didnt farm Revan and are crying right now because I did what I was supposed to and am in top 50 everyday whereas the past 3 years I was struggling to crack the top 200. So thank you CG for how you handled JKR I think you pleases the Wales in the beginning and pleased FTP near the end of JKR meta cycle. Good for the game.

There are plenty of people online who have Revan and the entire meta team and are still complaining about it. Just because everyone complains each time a new meta comes out, it does not mean that it should be ignored. The power creep mentioned is what it should be, a power "creep". Not a power "spike". They should taim back how much power they give the new chars a bit. A gear 10 or 11 team should not step in and start wiping out gear 12 teams on introduction. The new metas should have to get much closer to the same power of the older teams to start dominating.

P.S. The fact that thousands of people complain about this every time the new metas come out just shows how much CG is listening. And yes, we are all still playing. That's because this game has massive potential and we're not all quitters.
  • ssj4tim
    135 posts Member
    The one thing I don't like about it now is how everything comes down to pure luck. There is no skill or strategy left in arena at all anymore, it is 100% luck of the draw on mods. In that sense Revan ruined a lot of the fun. There is no way to control or farm or strategize. You just hit the button and hope you can pull a mod that is better than the other person's. If not you lose.
  • Arena is soon to be a dead game mode I think. With the introduction of GA championships. All of this MAY not matter anyway.
    I gave up on Arena along time ago. I have a relativity decently modded CLS team with Chewie Threepio etc and I can't stay in the top 400 any more, I try and do my 5 to climb but I'm just presented with a wall of Revans. I have to refresh for ages to find another CLS team or the odd Bastila team I can compete with. Occasionally I'll hit pay dirt and encounter a Malak'less Drevan team to go beat up but other wise it's JKR all the way. I can beat the odd few but it's sooo Mod/RNG dependant. I don't even try any more. Being a CLS team in a sea of Revans puts a massive target on my back defensively so I drop like a rock over night.

So, I'm hoping that GA Champs is the new go to for crystal currency and that introduces some much needed variety.

Just my opinion of course but in many ways, Revan has not been good for the longevity of SWGoH.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    While 100 toons have been relegated to worthlessness. As more movies and shows continue to be released more and more god kits will be release opening up gameplay again..... in a year we will forget about drevan and malak and be gawking at Ace Squadron and the mandalorian and the ep 9 stuff.........

It sucks now but if you think of the revans as day one of a whole new game the droids and sunfacs of the old days maybe it's not so bad..... just gonna take time.... bad for old game yes...maybe not bad for the new game