Messed up at the beginning, should I start over?

ASD_Dad
210 posts Member
Been playing since a couple weeks before Christmas. Had no idea about the forums or strategy, I was playing for fun and getting characters we liked from the franchise. Well now I am way in the hole and getting waaaay behind the curve in Arena and GW is a crap shoot.

I have 32 toons and it is a mixup of characters. Most are ones me and my kids liked so I got them. I didnt start going after gear and stars until a short while ago and I am getting killed in Arena and elsewhere.

My Arena rank used to be as high as the low 300's but now I keep getting knocked into the 600's or even 700's very quickly. What makes me think I should give up is that there are now a lot of teams of 7*, gear 7 or 8, level 70 toons that are still in the 500's! They may not be a full 7* but they have up to 25,000 power and are still in the 400-600 range.

My top squad has 21,000 in power... see where I am getting? All my fault, 100% just dont know if I can ever compete even grinding it out.

Current "good" toons - all level 62-64 now. (I am level 70 in game)
Sid - 6*, gear 8
Lumi - 6*, gear 7
Opress - 6*, gr7
Poggle - 5*, gr8
GS - 5*, gr8
JC - 5*, gr7
RP - 5*, gr7
Phasma, 5*, gr7 (most of the way to 6* but having GW finish issues)
QGJ, almost 5*, gr7
Dooku - 4*, gr8
Kylo 4*, gr7
DV - 4*, gr7
88 - 4*, gr7
86 - 4*, gr6
Han - 4*, gr7
Poe - 4* gr7

I do have 10M in credits and 2500-ish droids to bring a few up to 70, but what few and if I do will that really help at all? Almost all of those top 10-12 toons have level 6 abilities as well.

I am F2P obviously. So keep grinding or let my kids take over this iPad and start up a new game on my Android with a new perspective of how this game works?

Replies

• I can relate to what you're saying here. Did the same thing. I recommend staying the course and moving to the plan you want. But I am definitely no expert. Just F2P for fun. My thought is you have a lot of work and effort put in here. I wouldn't give up. Good luck!!
  • If being competitive in arena is your aim, then starting over might be better. It's where you earn the most crystals, allowing you more refreshes to farm deadlier toons. Do you have a team in mind when you restart?
  • Mizake_Mizan
    209 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Don't start over, your roster is decent, you just need to focus on a core of characters instead of spreading the wealth.

Sid
    Lumi
    GS
    RP
    Poggle

That would make a decent arena team, and you are already fairly far along in their progress. Get those to 7*

Optionally, work on

QGJ
    IG-86
    Poe
    Dooku

As F2P, all the toons listed are fairly easy to level and star up. Poggle doesn't necessarily need to be 7*, so if you want keep him at 5*, or go 6*, then switch to IG-86 for your GW tokens for an easy DPS toon to get to cap.

More specifically:

Use GW tokens on Lumi until 7*, then choose IG-86, RP or Poggle
    Use arena tokens on Sid until 7*
    Use Cantina tokens on QGJ or Poe
    Farm GS in Cantina until 7*, then Dooku

Oh and I just noticed your toons are only level 62-64 even though you are level 70. That's probably the single biggest source of your problems. Get your top 5-8 toons to level 70 ASAP, don't bother levelling other toons until you have done that.
  • If you haven't spent anything on the game yet I would ask yourself one question

Are you having fun knowing that you could be doing 'better'?

The point of the game should be to have fun, if you are having fun playing with the family team keep going. If you want to have a side project where you can 'do it the right way' and fight for #1 then go for it. I dropped everything to get Yoda because my nephew wanted to play with him when I came to visit. It slowed my arena goals, but I don't regret a second of it.

I really like this game and we should all play it the way we want and enjoy it. We all get hung up occasionally with this toon is too good, or this table is too hard, but that's not what matters.

To quote Gladiator - 'Are you not entertained!?!'

If you are keep going with whatever decision YOU want to make
    "I find your lack of faith disturbing" - Darth Vader
  • Tifer
    130 posts Member
    Maybe I'm missing something, but what does starting inner buy you?

Start over and work on the team you want. Or keep the squad you have now and work on the team you want.

Unless there's something I'm missing...
  • Tifer wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but what does starting inner buy you?

Start over and work on the team you want. Or keep the squad you have now and work on the team you want.

Unless there's something I'm missing...

He starts on a new shard with players that haven't farmed optimally.
    | John Salera is my favorite Sith Lord |
  • You should definitely reroll. Right now you are krill. Actually you are lower than krill because the people that pay for the game wont even bother you. You can easily get many more free crystals per day by starting again. Then you will at least be krill.
  • 10M credits is a lot to walk away from. Why not just create an alt account and after a short amount of time decide which one you like more?
  • klay
    76 posts Member
    For what it's worth, I think your fine. You have decent characters to work with. You just need to focus on maxing out your top 5. You still have time since the level cap isn't go up yet. While you may not get into the top of arena, with some focus you could get to top 200. That's realistic.
  • droidboyz
    316 posts Member
    edited March 2016
    Hey OP,

I too was doing what you and many others encountered starting out...as mentioned already, stick it out if Arena is your focus now...you've got a not so bad lineup there... Your A list squad will start to take a more structured feel and completing as much GW as you can will even closer to where you like to be...just have fun ! my daughter loves participating (4ys old) pressing the attacks and what not lol...that's why we all play the game to have fun and sure, have that competitive edge playing it too :)

Cheers and good luck!

*edit...hope those slippery 450k creds come soon! ..stay patient !
  • ASD_Dad
    210 posts Member
    I am having fun but was having more fun playing GW. I enjoyed that more than Arena since in the beginning I could swap squads around to see what happened. Now it is walls of death squads and I finish 50% of the time or less. That was why I was hoarding credits.

I went ahead last night and spent 5M credits and most of my training droids to level up. My top 6 toons are now level 69, my next 4 or so are 68. I didnt want to have a huge gap in case I needed backup for GW. I am leaving them all at 68 and will level up the others to 70 as I get droids. I kept the 5M in credits in case I can actually star up my top 5 to 7*.

My main squad was stated above. 6* Sid (L), 6* Lumi, 5* GS, RP, Poggle

My overall squad power is still only around 22K so we'll see what happens. I am grinding shards for GS daily with one refresh and spending Cantina rewards on QGJ right now. He is almost 5* and I am thinking of replacing Poggle with him. He still gets the offense buff and high speed but he actually does some damage. He just has much less health.
  • Inggold
    74 posts Member
    With that setup I would replace Sid in Arena with QGJ before Poggle.

Sid feels great. Sid makes lots of red thingies go off and ooooh, aaaah.

But Sid hits at best mediocre, and once QG and GS are teamed with a couple of heavier hitters, the team is stronger for Arena.

QGJ lead.
    GS
    Lumi
    RP
    Poggle

Would not be a fun group to face in Arena.

QGJ goes first (unless enemy has Duuku maybe) Even if he calls Poggle or Lumi, target dead or almost dead, and maybe ability blocked if not dead.

Poggle/GS up. Offense up, BLAM. Assist call from GS... Ow!

Opponent goes in there somewhere - who do you target???? QGJ is a typical first target but his damage already done.

If they ignored RP, he now shoots with offense up (or maybe is already gone if called and critted someone) and Lumi is now sitting there ready to either blast a hard hitting ability block or heal if the opponent didn't make a kill...

Speed and hard hitting means more than speed and a heal immune. Sid is the weaker link, not Poggle.
  • Inggold wrote: »
    With that setup I would replace Sid in Arena with QGJ before Poggle.

Sid feels great. Sid makes lots of red thingies go off and ooooh, aaaah.

But Sid hits at best mediocre, and once QG and GS are teamed with a couple of heavier hitters, the team is stronger for Arena.

QGJ lead.
    GS
    Lumi
    RP
    Poggle

Would not be a fun group to face in Arena.

QGJ goes first (unless enemy has Duuku maybe) Even if he calls Poggle or Lumi, target dead or almost dead, and maybe ability blocked if not dead.

Poggle/GS up. Offense up, BLAM. Assist call from GS... Ow!

Opponent goes in there somewhere - who do you target???? QGJ is a typical first target but his damage already done.

If they ignored RP, he now shoots with offense up (or maybe is already gone if called and critted someone) and Lumi is now sitting there ready to either blast a hard hitting ability block or heal if the opponent didn't make a kill...

Speed and hard hitting means more than speed and a heal immune. Sid is the weaker link, not Poggle.

+1

• ASD_Dad
    210 posts Member
    I'll try it, thanks! I'm guessing since Sid is 6* gear 8 and QGJ is still 4* gear 7 I should hold off on swapping them until QGJ is at least 5*, right?

Even with my new team being leveled up I still failed GW. Made it 10 nodes today. Had squad after squad of level 70, 7* Arena teams.

• Inggold
    74 posts Member
    Yes get him to 5* and skilled all 6+ ASAP then swap him in.

I am top 100 on two different December servers for Arena running a similar setup - and both have multiple 5* toons in the arena squad ...(one totally F2P, other is barely any money) and both phasing Sid out of primary groupings.

GW is very different.

For GW you need a grouping that bursts heavy off the bat, and can cycle heals while coasting at end and resetting timers.

You have a ton of toons. Nasty fight you send in a suicide first ( like those Phasma groups, or they have Poggle, when you look at and and say.... If not for that first round Xx in goes a suicide!) then your regular team when enemy had burned those nasty shots on the doomed replacements.

Swap in JC or Barriss for your Poggle. Bang, primary GW group, Lumi or Barriss lead now for the passive heals....heal early to dampen their initial shots, then passive regen carries you to next fight 90% health and all powers ready to fire. (Barriss can do this fine geared and at 5*)
  • Hello.

I find this post really interesting but have a few questions if you allow me.

Why QGJ is leader ?
    His leader ability is not only for jedis ?
    So it's suposed to apply only on Luminara ? Or to himself as well ?

RP is Resistance Pilot right ? If I don't have him, can I replace him with IG86 ? (one of my few 7* toons)

Thanks in advance for your answsers.
  • ASD_Dad
    210 posts Member
    Don't have Barriss. Would love her just for GW. My main GW squad is Lumi lead, JC, Sid, GS and then add a player. If facing Jedi I add Dooku. If facing Dooku add Poggle so I can one shot him with his buff. Etc... Before the patch I could finish GW with my deep roster. Not so much anymore.

Backup is Phasma, Kylo, Daka and add two. Usually a tank like Han or even Poe.,

I'll work on QGJ and see what I can do. Arena is definitely easier today after leveling and I'm holding rank better. Went from 630 to 360 and I have 1 more turn.
  • Chive
    40 posts Member
    Hey man. I completely get the GW wall. I'm still newish at this game still only level 61. But as long as you can get enough for 5 shards it's progress. Slow but still progress. I went off track to make sure I could get Yoda on this next time around I'm just now getting back on track for a good arena team
  • Reyia
    1171 posts Member
    You should create a new account. Use a droids team to climb arena leaderboard. With lower power team your GW will be easy. After playing for two to three weeks you can then decide what you should do, whether to abandon main account or to keep playing both for fun.
  • QGJ leading means he goes first. Only one toon faster is Dooku (or Yoda led by QGJ). Means you always get a potential one hit knockout first shot. That is why he leads in a speed team like this.

86 can fill in for RP is just not going to have the potential to go faster - but hits harder if he lives to shoot.

Daka also is awesome there (and is what I have right now ) - of the two things I *really* hate to have happen to me it is stuns and ability blocks - so if she gets called on assist and stuns... Okay they aren't dead but they don't hit back for a round!
  • ASD_Dad
    210 posts Member
    Well I just got slaughtered in Arena. I was up to 360 about 40 minutes ago. Just checked and I was knocked all the way down to 590!! Only had one more chance at it and went for the highest rank I couod to get the next tier in prizes. Got slaughtered with RNG going bad. Way too many dodges and Dooku was double stunning every chance. He was a lowly 4* hitting double and a stun every chance and his lightening double stunned every turn. RP never went, Lumi went once before dead.
  • Ok. Thanks for your answers. I made a few adjustments to my team and I'm doing a bit better now.
  • Luke6108
    370 posts Member
    You have a decent roster and 10m credits, work on your Lumi GS QGJ,gear them up you will not be too far behind.
  • ASD_Dad
    210 posts Member
    I'm down to 5M in credits. I leveled up the top guys and also geared up two. All Level 70 now - Sid (L), Lumi, GS, Poggle, RP.

I am holding better in the 400-500 range better but RP keeps getting targeted right from the start by the AI and never gets a shot off. He's 5* gear 8. The other 4 are good enough to let me win most battles but I dont know why the AI suddenly changed to target RP. He used to stick around a while.

I did try QGJ at 4* gear 7 at lead as suggested and it worked out OK. He needs more stars and will be 5* tomorrow. I'll try him again then but I was dropping rank really quick when I left him in there vs. a 6* gear 8 Sid.
  • LordAlvert
    1193 posts Member
    Here is some advice. Number one there will be a lot of whales and dolphins and restarters on your new shard keep that in mind. The old shard (like mine) offers benefits a lot of people have quit no one will buy chromium if they haven't already.

There is a lot of fake talk about arena placement. You only need 5 good toons to get top 10. 1) myth: top five rewards are critical. That is simply not true. If you are top 500 then almost everyone gets 800 a day silvers to buy what? On an old server I don't even want anything offered. And the purples you get from top 5 don't do much besides build my b and c teams at this point. 2) myth: can't get top 10 unless there from the start. Fact: get a quality 5 guys 7 stared and full gear and refresh it 50-100 every day once you have the squad. Maybe you have to inject $10 to do so for a week... You will rise.

You have a good squad and you have a ton of credits cause you haven't maxed 5 guys then another 5 like most of us who have "done it right" use that to your advantage...

Read reyia restart diary. The first few days are awesome. Then you can tell the excitement dies off considerably... ask yourself if you want @Reyia 's experience.

• Toukai
    1822 posts Member
    LordAlvert wrote: »
    Here is some advice. Number one there will be a lot of whales and dolphins and restarters on your new shard keep that in mind. The old shard (like mine) offers benefits a lot of people have quit no one will buy chromium if they haven't already.

There is a lot of fake talk about arena placement. You only need 5 good toons to get top 10. 1) myth: top five rewards are critical. That is simply not true. If you are top 500 then almost everyone gets 800 a day silvers to buy what? On an old server I don't even want anything offered. And the purples you get from top 5 don't do much besides build my b and c teams at this point. 2) myth: can't get top 10 unless there from the start. Fact: get a quality 5 guys 7 stared and full gear and refresh it 50-100 every day once you have the squad. Maybe you have to inject $10 to do so for a week... You will rise.

You have a good squad and you have a ton of credits cause you haven't maxed 5 guys then another 5 like most of us who have "done it right" use that to your advantage...

Read reyia restart diary. The first few days are awesome. Then you can tell the excitement dies off considerably... ask yourself if you want @Reyia 's experience.

Yup. In games like this, I see no point in restarting. Yes, you get the new feel excitement for awile and even the bonus credits/energy/crystals, but they will disappear regardless as you progress.

In my mind, it is better to just keep working with what you have, build a deeper bench, and unlock what you can and just be patient.