Analysis of Grievous

Droideka
615 posts Member
edited February 2019
Straight to the point, Grievous is alright. The problem is that the rest of his team is not. Currently, GG is the only one on a separatist team to do decent damage, so any team with a thrawn will wreck him by fracturing him, taking out the only damage output on a Sep team unless a geared up droideka can do something. And GG’s unique cripples his team. It actually will strip stacks of droid battalion from B1 faster than he can replenish them, without even taking the enemy attacking B1 into account. Magnaguard is very underwhelming. I have seen him take a grand total of 1 bonus turn in the 6 arena matches I have played with him, as he keeps dying before his turn. This is because if magna is stunned, he skips his bonus turn and then dies. If someone else has 100% TM, they can kill magna before his bonus turn starts. If magna has any damaging debuffs like burning or a DOT, he starts his turn and immediately dies. Even if all of this gets fixed, they can maybe win on offense against NS and Revan teams. They will still lose to Traya and CLS teams on offense, and lose to everyone on defense because of their lack of a pretaunt or anything to stop them from focusing down the frail B1. Unless droideka turns out to be an absolute god, which he did not appear to be in his marquee, the Seperatists will be unable to challenge the meta in any way.

Replies

• I'm going to go out on a limb and say Droideka is NOT going to be an absolute god.

Seriously, I agree with much of the OP. To begin, the droid supports for the GG team are each individually bugged (some with more than 1 bug), so sorting this out could take a long time. Also, droideka's own worst enemy is itself - if he's fast, he doesn't build up enough charge to do decent damage, if he's slow, he builds up charge, but doesn't attack often enough to make a difference. His kit actually works against itself.

And GG's special hurts his team more than it helps him. He doesn't build up enough health - and the entire unique only makes him the clear target. Throwing up taunts on other allies whom he has weakened throughout the battle only makes it worse - not better.

Basically, it looks like the GG "dream team" that CG featured in the GC vids was either not reflective of the actual synergies (or lack thereof) within their REAL kits - or the current versions in game are so badly bugged (and in numerous ways) that it could take weeks to fix. And even then, are they going to actually be as effective as the ones in the videos? Or were those GG teams facing undergeared/unmodded Revan teams?
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Had a funny feeling that something wasn't working right, when the update-drop was getting later and later last night. Could picture the folks in their West Coast offices trying over and over to get things working, then finally saying, hell, just do the release and we'll figure out what went wrong later on.

So the zetas I had stockpiled for my almost-g11 GG remain stockpiled. At least until we hear if any fixes are imminent. If there's radio silence, I'm just going to put the droids away for the visible future and resume powering up my other factions like this never happened.
  • DocDoom wrote: »
    Had a funny feeling that something wasn't working right, when the update-drop was getting later and later last night. Could picture the folks in their West Coast offices trying over and over to get things working, then finally saying, hell, just do the release and we'll figure out what went wrong later on.

So the zetas I had stockpiled for my almost-g11 GG remain stockpiled. At least until we hear if any fixes are imminent. If there's radio silence, I'm just going to put the droids away for the visible future and resume powering up my other factions like this never happened.

Yep. Same. Pretty much in a holding pattern with the zetas and stun guns. In this game, NEVER buy on hype.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Especially hype from specific game changers that aren't very good at the game.
  • Maybe if they gave magnaguard daze on his AOE to deal with Rebels countering and Revans calling assists they could do something.
  • Well, really, if they'd wanted this team to be a true meta-wrecker, there are any number of things they could have done. But to do that would have make Darth Revan less of a must-have.

Being *really* cynical, one might imagine that this was intentionally done: Get everyone hyped for a Revan-wrecker, then deliver something less-than. But now everyone's appetite is whetted, and they're that much more willing to whale out for Darth R.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Droideka wrote: »
    Maybe if they gave magnaguard daze on his AOE to deal with Rebels countering and Revans calling assists they could do something.

Gotta wait for HK rework. Daze and ability block AoE with increased chances of happening against Jedi might solve the early/midrange problem. There would be still the problem with Revan's mark opening and Zolos Shoot First though...
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • I had a bucketload of fun with

HK (lead), GG, B1, B2 & Droideka

So many assists going out, lots of crits, so much TM gain from HK lead.... Felt like an infinite loop at times
  • Credit where credit's due, I think it's good that CG are looking at ways of creating powerful kits that are not about MAWWWWWWWWWWW Speed. Enfys Nest and now droideka.

The whole team is interesting with B2, Droideka both having powerful ways to mitigate not having high speed. However, it sounds like it's not quite there yet.

Between the immense amount of utility in droids: Bb8, T3M4, IG88, R2D2 + sepps, i'm sure that something powerful will come out of it. It's the whole doing 16% of Grievous's monstrous amount of health damage to T3 and bb8 that hurts.
    Keyboard Warrior on the side of the Moderates
    I play the game for fun, if you don't like content, don't like the game, then why are you here?
  • Pentagon wrote: »
    Credit where credit's due, I think it's good that CG are looking at ways of creating powerful kits that are not about MAWWWWWWWWWWW Speed. Enfys Nest and now droideka.

The whole team is interesting with B2, Droideka both having powerful ways to mitigate not having high speed. However, it sounds like it's not quite there yet.

Between the immense amount of utility in droids: Bb8, T3M4, IG88, R2D2 + sepps, i'm sure that something powerful will come out of it. It's the whole doing 16% of Grievous's monstrous amount of health damage to T3 and bb8 that hurts.
    It’s nice to have a team where speed doesn’t matter for once. Mainly because they are so bad that not even god mods can help them.