Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• Grand Arena is a mess as it is. Perhaps fix it first? 1. Balance is off. 2. It takes waaaay too long to review, set defense, then attack... 3. Changing mods for 3v3 or 5v5 while contending with TW is madness. 4. It is really frustrating and not fun compared with the rewards.

Why not allow in guild challenges? Rewards could be a pot of gear donations.
  • Just got to say, if ships aren't in the GA, don't count ship GP in the matchmaking. This has been mentioned before, but it hasn't been fixed- facing a guy with 150k more character GP, 12 zetas compared to my 2, yadda yadda. His ships are a mess, but because this GA doesn't include ships, he will trash everyone in my bracket.
  • I don't love the 3v3 but if you are going to mess with the squad numbers, why limit it. Make a 4v4 or a 6v6 (with extra time for obvious reasons). While we are at it, I would lower the time limit on 3v3 by 1 minute.
    How about an old school fleet battle, retro battle ships 1.0 style. Or 5v5 ship battle with NO capital ship, and no reinforcement. Squad battle with ships. Get these whales out of their comfort zones for a while. Let them see how the rest of us live.
  • I like the additional GAs but dislike the rewards nerf. Please don’t cut them in half.
  • More GAs? If anything pushes me into quitting the game, that'll probably be it.

Believe it or not, some of us loathe GA, and PvP in general.

The only reason I play it at all is because some lousy rewards are better than no rewards at all
  • Joker41NAM wrote: »
    More GAs? If anything pushes me into quitting the game, that'll probably be it.

Believe it or not, some of us loathe GA, and PvP in general.

The only reason I play it at all is because some lousy rewards are better than no rewards at all

Play the game to have fun. You aren't required to play extensively in all of the modes that you don't like.
  • I like Grand Arena although it is a bit time consuming.

Please do not nerf the rewards for Grand Arena. I actually think the rewards should be better considering the amount of time and effort needed to play this game mode.
  • What about as one reward getting shards for supreme leader snoke that comes out to 5 stars? Instead of raids itll be through grand arena and itll make the first order even better! Or a new capital ship maybe for general grievous!
  • For the love of everything that you believe in, no more forced pvp! And before someone says it's not forced; it is if you want to be competitive in pve end content. You just can't afford to not get the good rewards or you'll lag behind.

Grand Arena brings me massive anxiety and stress and I know I'm not the only one. It is the mode requiring the most time to compete properly by FAR (at 4+ million gp). Also, each GA runs for an entire week. Having 3 or more per month means that you have to spend time in GA almost every single day. Those that hate TBs aren't forced to do their combat missions almost every day.

Maybe you could add an option for those that choose not to participate? Give them the equivalent of the 5-7 rewards. I know I would smash that button every time (just like those that only have to deploy GP during TBs or hit join in the raid). That way, it also doesn't match those of us that hate it with those that want real challengers.

I REALLY miss the time when weekends had no TW or no TB to take care of. We already have so much to do in this game, please consider not adding GA every single day on top of that.
  • I'm all for more GAs. I enjoy it a lot. However, constantly playing 3v3 or 5v5 with a ship sector already is getting boring. You have to find a way to spruce that up. Maybe try a two-fleet front with a pair of 7v7s in the back, or a trio of 7v7s in a single-territory front with three 2v2s in the back, or even ten 1v1 fronts with a 7v7 in back. Plenty of options.

As for rewards, if you don't make rewards better, a lot of people probably won't play much - at least not multiple times per month. More frequency in-game should pay out more rewards, not less. Reward us for our time and commitment to playing your game. Don't cheat us. That's like ordering a coffee from Starbucks and you get a cup that's only two-thirds full.

Also, please, please, please fix the matchmaking. If you don't do that first, you may as well not make any other significant changes to the game mode.

Thanks for all you're doing to try to improve the game! I'm sure it's a lot of work, and it is appreciated by many!
  • OK...

1) Bravo on BANNING Faction Bans!

2) I could live without 5v5 in Grand Arena. To me, 3v3 is a far better test of roster and skill.

3) GA matchmaking needs work since it seems to be solely based on GP. The day after I unlocked Traya & Revan (yes, it happened within 24 hours of each other, I got both to L85, G8 but no zetas before lockin) I was thrown into a pool with 7 opponents who had fully zeta'ed, geared Arena ready Traya & Revan.

4) Territory Wars scoring is lacking. There needs to be points awarded for defeating each toon, regardless of whether you win match. There should also be bonus points for each round a defensive squad survives.
  • Probably the best dev post I’ve seen in my year of playing! Keep up the good work CG
  • PepsiAddict
    311 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    Can anyone tell me how the scoring between the 8 teams works for the whole 3 rounds I don't see that anywhere?

Is it a ladder system, or the first 4 teams that win are playing for top 4, others for 5 -8, or is it just whoever has the most banners after all 3 rounds wins?

The rewards scoring is based solely on win/loss record, after the 3 rounds. Banners only determine the winner of a round.

After Round 1 there are 4 winners and 4 losers.
    For Round 2 two pairs of winners are matched up, and 2 pairs of losers are matched up. At the end of Round 2 two people have 2-0 record, four people have 1-1 record, and two people have 0-2 record.
    For Round 3 the 2-0s are matched together, and the 0-2s are matched together. The four people with 1-1 are matched in pairs.

So at the end you have:
    1x 3-0
    3x 2-1
    3x 1-2
    1x 0-3
    Participation trophy? No. You want something: earn it.
  • I’m glad to hear you removed the ship GP from non ship Grand Arenas, but please also adjust the algorithm for factoring in ship in GAs that involve ships. If ships can only total 25% of the total points then the current algorithm does not yield fair matchups for those that have focused heavily on ships.

For instance, you can try an adjusted GP equation like below:

Adjusted GP = (1-x)(squad GP) + x(ship GP)

x = the percentage of total points that ships can generate

The best thing about this equation is that it can also be used for non-ship GA since x=0 so ship GP will be removed from the adjusted GP.
  • Matchmaking is still bugged and counts ships in. At least in 3v3 GA. In current GA all players in my bracket are around 2.4m of total GP but toons GP varies from 1.23m to 1.46m.
    So we have:
    1.34m 20g12 18zeta
    1.31m 14g12 18zeta
    1.23m 26g12 18z
    1.40m 15g12 15z
    1.36m 14g12 18z
    1.46m 21g12 26z
    1.41m 35g12 37z
    1.43m 14g12 19z

Apart of last one, all have less than 10g11 toons.
    It's hard to compete. Please double check your scripts.
  • Personally, I don't like GA. But this made me laugh in a non-"ha ha" way.

> It’s really annoying to get into Grand Arena and not have an opponent place any defenses. Not only does it deny you a small amount of credits or quest progress, but you just can’t participate in the fun!

Yeah? You know what else isn't fun? Getting paired up against someone who can dogpile {censored} you to death without even breaking a sweat. So why should I summit to being clubbed to death like a baby seal just so my opponent can get off on {censored} me to death? How's that supposed to be fun for me?

GA is only something for whales and krakens to be able to see who has the biggest...roster. 🙄 If it weren't for some rewards of stuff I desperately need, I wouldn't bother with it at all. And sadly, this is the first GA where people are actually bothering to do stuff (at least for me). So no cheap 1st place for me this time.
  • Quick feedback for upcoming changes on GA..

- 3v3 is not that fun and require players to work on synergies that are useless anywhere else...
    - Rewards aren't that great for the time it takes to play it seriously.
    - When you win the 2 first rounds and lose the last one, you should be second, not 2nd or 3rd or 4th... You know it's like losing in final (yep I know rewards are the same, but we play more for honor than for "not that great" rewards :p)
    - I think that more GA isn't a good idea : I like candies but I shouldn't eat a pounds of them each week :)
    - Mods in the rewards might be a good idea, but please : NO HEALTH MODS !! T_T'
    - heroe's shards are not a good idea to add in rewards
    - set an automatic enlistment in GA and remove the first 24h period of match making

Ideas :
    - Maybe a version with less teams required on Def could be fun, strategy would be different as we would have more offensive force... (please note that I didn't talk about a version with more def, nobody want that)
    - Lets get crazy, 6v6 teams with double lead bonuses (as it is done with ally toons borrowed for PVE)... Hmm maybe not, that would be insanely strong in some cases... lol
    - Shall we have a terentatek/AT-ST to put somewhere in our def ? Or maybe like a end boss...
  • Auto-deploy should start from the weakest toons and work up rather than top to bottom. If you can’t be bothered to set a defence you shouldn’t have a chance to win still and even a random deployment of high level/gear toons can be troublesome.
  • Any chance there’ll ever be a mixed GA 5v5 and 3v3? Be fun to see how people organize their squads.
  • I doesn't dislike GA but...
    Gavyn wrote: »
    For the love of everything that you believe in, no more forced pvp! And before someone says it's not forced;(...) You just can't afford to not get the (...) rewards
    I agree.
    Grand Arena brings me massive anxiety and stress and I know I'm not the only one. It is the mode requiring the most time to compete properly by FAR (at 4+ million gp). Also, each GA runs for an entire week. Having 3 or more per month means that you have to spend time in GA almost every single day.
    I agree.
    It really take ages to play it seriously and it really start to become a pain to do it.
    I REALLY miss the time when weekends had no TW or no TB to take care of. We already have so much to do in this game, please consider not adding GA every single day on top of that.
    That good old thing called life... I kinda remember how it looks like....
  • Honestly next to TW with bonuses, this is the best mode! Thank you CG for finding a way for players to truly compete! Competition is what will keep the game alive in the endgame, and keep players striving to enhance, and grow their rosters. I love the rewards now, please do not nerf them. Because of the major introduction of many new characters with zetas; I would like to continue to see zetas as rewards regularly. Especially since recent changes to defense of dathomir, that cut the amount of zeta mats you can get in half!? Competition, competition, competition, this is what will drive the game 5+ years. So great job CG on creating this aspect of the game.

Now with that being said, what the heck where you guys thinking when making Revan's kit??? Someone must have known this would ruin arena, making it uncompetitive, and extremely boring. And you had a chance to remedy things with the GG rework, and ended up just disappointing the entire fan base to accommodate lame ptw players. As a result competition has been ruined in arena, and has players bored and angry. Making decisions like this will quickly put this game in the dirt...
  • SP4C3Z
    29 posts Member
    edited February 2019
    No GA autodeploy please. A super quick win (and therefore better rewards) is way better.

Also please increase the number of teams to be placed in defense to increase the chances of not clearing the board.

And can we have GA while we have TB and not TW? TB is in farming mode, so there is nothing much to do during that time. In opposite, TW is quite busy time...

Finally, I don't think we need pre-registration of 24h on top of all the waiting time at the beginning and between the battles.
  • For the love of the Force , NO MORE MOD REWARDS!!! I am so sick of spending 30 minutes, frequently, selling mods or having them pile up in my inbox! NO MORE!
  • If you increase the ammount of time I need to invest in this game by increasing how many GA there are to only then reduce the rewards that I'm earning then why in the world should I continue to invest my time in said event. Nerfing rewards never works. Either keep GA at twice a month or if you make it 3 a month keep the rewards the same.
  • The Great Arena, especially the 3x3 event has serious problems in the opponents selection algorithm.

3 zetas only in 3x3 is totally unfair. Why did I win in the 5x5 in the last event, I did not win a prize so good? I got hurt in that.

In the current 3x3 group My first opponent never had a real chance to defeat me, and I had no chance to defeat my second opponent. The algorithm has practically chosen who will win the prize. In the case of my second opponent he has 100k more of galactic power in characters and 100k less in the power of ships, but where can I use my Geonosians to make up for it? I can not, since they are totally broken for a battle on the ground.

Whoever makes investments in ships comes out well damaged in this modality. Who hides galactic power, with low characters we do not activate, and in level 1 has advantage. The same principle of the paper zombie that you rightly destroyed. Will they do the same and improve the 3x3 code?

My suggestion for a quick fix is ​​to equalize the 5x5 and 3x3 awards.
  • Hi Devs. I think these are great changes but I would like to provide some feedback on what is missing to make these more effective.
    1st, trying to manage mods between PVP and PVE is very time consuming, even with load-outs. If you could create a roster toggle for PVP/PVE it would be great. It would only need to track the location of mods. That way we can build our teams and keep them ready for any event. Any PVP events would default to the PVP roster when player locking.
    2nd, there is not a good way to practice. You are putting us into game time events with no ability to test. Why not let players engage in private deck battles. Like GA but faster and it doesn't need rewards. The first player set defense then it notifies the next other player that they can attack and then they set a defense. It just keeps going with no 24hr delays. We could battle with our guild mates and help provide feedback to each other to make our guilds stronger.
  • GA it's fun and interactive,i like it a lot the only changes i would like to see is an increase in rewards due to the long time it take to be completed it take double the time then a TW and the rewards are a little under the tw rewards even if you get first place,if adding high geqr is not an option maybe make a caracter exclusive for GA and throw in some guild event currency or even better a new currency that you can recive between each fight,or shorten the duration of the GA in half and add more events per month and leave the rewards the same.Anyway love the event.
  • Krashxxxx wrote: »
    I don't love the 3v3 but if you are going to mess with the squad numbers, why limit it. Make a 4v4 or a 6v6 (with extra time for obvious reasons). While we are at it, I would lower the time limit on 3v3 by 1 minute.
    How about an old school fleet battle, retro battle ships 1.0 style. Or 5v5 ship battle with NO capital ship, and no reinforcement. Squad battle with ships. Get these whales out of their comfort zones for a while. Let them see how the rest of us live.

Love this idea! GA should really mix things up