Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• Can we just make toon GP when there isnt ships? That would be nice. Isnt real cool being penalized for ships in a toon battle
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    0Dark30 wrote: »
    Can we just make toon GP when there isnt ships? That would be nice. Isnt real cool being penalized for ships in a toon battle

They are, should be active next GA
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Gannon wrote: »
    Can we just make toon GP when there isnt ships? That would be nice. Isnt real cool being penalized for ships in a toon battle

I sure hope they are able to get that change in place soon because two of the three GA's this month are squad-only and I am real tired of facing 1-1.2 mill GP squad rosters with my 900k.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

I sure hope they are able to get that change in place soon because two of the three GA's this month are squad-only and I am real tired of facing 1-1.2 mill GP squad rosters with my 900k.

I see some potential future complaints once that happens tho. If your character gp is really high, you will be matched with a higher total gp player. Usually wouldn't be a big deal, but zetas will become the next issue. Higher total gp usually means longer time playing, which also means more zetas in most cases. Cuz that's the one thing you can't buy, just get over time.
    So I expect to see complaints about 5 zetas v 35 zetas in the near future
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

I see some potential future complaints once that happens tho. If your character gp is really high, you will be matched with a higher total gp player. Usually wouldn't be a big deal, but zetas will become the next issue. Higher total gp usually means longer time playing, which also means more zetas in most cases. Cuz that's the one thing you can't buy, just get over time.
    Fair point. Personally I'll take my chances and continue working on my roster but I could see some folks being unhappy.

While GP may indicate length of play to some extent, I don't think it is that cut and dried. I already see a real mix of opponents ranging from highly focused rosters that appear to be under a year old to ones which are clearly older and carrying the bloat of past metas.

As I've said elsewhere, ultimately I think they are going to need to incorporate some measure of player skill into the matchmaking. GP is a hexagonal peg shoved into a round hole because it was handy and it kinda sorta fit.
  • armyhutchings
    273 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    gdz8cveeuyxk.jpg

More fantastic matchmaking ... good job. At least last round I was only outnumbered 44 g12 to my 26. But this is supposed to be the competitive mode ...

You can't call it the competitive mode if your matchmaking prevents competition.

I'm sorry but I don't see a problem here. All I ask myself is how you only have 26 G12 at 3.9M GP...

You only don't see a problem because you're not facing off against people with 2-3 times the strength of roster as you. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before claiming a lack of focus.

If you don't see a problem with this, then you are ignorant (by definition) because you lack the knowledge of how demoralizing it is to have 0% chance to win before the match even begins.

When the opponent can put as many G12 characters on defense as you have on your entire roster and still 1-shot your entire defense that is NOT balanced matchmaking.

My GP is because I've been playing for 3+ years and I have a large roster of G10 back when G10 was the highest obtainable. Up until TW/GA that wasn't a problem because there was nothing in the game that punishes the player. There's no way for me to take that back. There's no way for me to compete.

Every single GA I'm matched up against people with double or triple my strength, so I can't win matches -- which means I can't progress in this aspect of the game.

This is not fun and compelling gameplay.

I'm not saying everything should be equal -- I'm saying it should be competitive.

Facing off against opponents with 2 - 3 times you strength is objectively NOT competitive. Their matchmaking is 100% absolutely broken and if you can't see how, then I really don't know what to say.

There's a reason there's weight classes in the various competitive fighting rings.

Fix the matchmaking, or give me the option to nuke a character back to level 1.
  • Gannon wrote: »

This was my complaint on the very first GA, similar GP is fine and I usually 2nd to 4th in GA however it feels like I have to put in a lot more effort to beat my opponent when they have more than double the number of zetas that I have. In my last GA round my opponent had 53 zetas to my 23, I have a lot of fluff GP from leveling things for TW as well. In most cases a zeta takes a character from useless to powerful (Bariss/Vandor etc). Doesn't help when the reward for beating me is more zeta mats for them to widen the gap with either.
  • gdz8cveeuyxk.jpg

More fantastic matchmaking ... good job. At least last round I was only outnumbered 44 g12 to my 26. But this is supposed to be the competitive mode ...

You can't call it the competitive mode if your matchmaking prevents competition.

I'm sorry but I don't see a problem here. All I ask myself is how you only have 26 G12 at 3.9M GP...

You only don't see a problem because you're not facing off against people with 2-3 times the strength of roster as you. Walk a mile in someone else's shoes before claiming a lack of focus.

If you don't see a problem with this, then you are ignorant (by definition) because you lack the knowledge of how demoralizing it is to have 0% chance to win before the match even begins.

When the opponent can put as many G12 characters on defense as you have on your entire roster and still 1-shot your entire defense that is NOT balanced matchmaking.

My GP is because I've been playing for 3+ years and I have a large roster of G10 back when G10 was the highest obtainable. Up until TW/GA that wasn't a problem because there was nothing in the game that punishes the player. There's no way for me to take that back. There's no way for me to compete.

Every single GA I'm matched up against people with double or triple my strength, so I can't win matches -- which means I can't progress in this aspect of the game.

This is not fun and compelling gameplay.

I'm not saying everything should be equal -- I'm saying it should be competitive.

Facing off against opponents with 2 - 3 times you strength is objectively NOT competitive. Their matchmaking is 100% absolutely broken and if you can't see how, then I really don't know what to say.

There's a reason there's weight classes in the various competitive fighting rings.

Fix the matchmaking, or give me the option to nuke a character back to level 1.

Don't get me wrong. I do understand your frustration. I can see why some people find the matchmaking unfair. But the thing is, you CHOSE to play the way you did. I already mentioned in abother post that this is a game of decisions. Nobody knew that GA was coming, yet a lot of people have focused rosters (very useful in TW btw, which has been around for a very long time). Fluffing your guild's GP has never been a good thing, so you could have stopped fluffing when TW came out (which I assume you didn't).

I'm not saying you (or anyone else) is playing the game the "wrong" way. I'm also not saying me or other people are playing the "right" way. There is no right or wrong way to play the game because it's all subjective and everyone can play and enjoy the game however they want. All I'm saying is that people shouldn't complain just because a mode doesn't suit their playing style. This mode just happens to favor people that played in a certain way. Other modes or events favor people of other playstyles. It's just how the game works.

One can't have everything, so you need to try and make the best out of your situation. And if you see something isn't working in your favor, work on it. Try to do everything to get better and work on your weaknesses. It's not like the GA rewards are putting the winners in a super advantageous position. Winning or losing a GA will barely have an impact on the playerbase as a whole. Someone who places first in a GA every time will probably only have 2-3 full zeta mats more than someone who places last in every GA in a WHOLE YEAR. And 2-3 zetas in a year is a miniscule difference. Plus, if you have a fluffed roster you/your guild will probably do better in TB, so you could almost offset that 2-3 zeta loss by getting better rewards in TB over the course of the year.

So imo, if you see the bigger picture, don't be discouraged by your GA losses as they are pretty much meaningless. Rather see it as an opportunity and motivation to work on your roster and show those "bullies" that you can put up a good fight with a "weaker" roster, and even win.
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    They chose the way to play the way they did because before GA there was no punishment for having higher GP. You can't use that as an excuse and base your entire post on it.

Nothing in game existed before GA that made you not want to seven star everything.

Nothing in game existed before GA that made you regret putting mods on toons

Nothing in game existed before GA that made you hate yourself for gearing toons.

Every single way you could play before GA hit, made GA harder for you. And the thing is, GA now forces new players into a non-GP gaining focus so they get more wins. It forces older players to lower their GP or focus on getting less GP.

Because GA actively punishes you for having higher numbers since it doesn't care about your roster. If GA actually cared about your roster then everything would be different and the main argument against GA would not exist. Basing on GP, and also including ship GP in squad only combat was a mistake from the start.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member

Meh zbarris, zQGJ, zzthrawn z tarkin, zphasma, zstick rey, zfotp, zfost, zstorm, thats the stuff older players with more gp have n most of em semi bad these days or leaders not used

A few more but if its only 10-15 difference manageable but yeah i guess 20-35 difference sick
  • akiva
    4 posts Member
    IDEA: Perhaps an idea for matchmaking could be to have a tab (like for squads) to build a GA squad consisting of the max population required for that week’s GA during the join period?

This way you are not penalized for having higher GP due to wide (but weaker) character/ship base.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    GA should be canceled because no in game popup cant not give rewards to the 400000 people who dont read tbese forums

Or have it so the people can play but everyone gets 1st place EVERYONE
  • Was there a sign up for GA!? ****!?!
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    ALsoccer19 wrote: »
    Was there a sign up for GA!? ****!?!

There was, you had one hour to join, lol
    They said they were cancelling this one however and will be delaying it to another day
  • ALsoccer19 wrote: »
    Was there a sign up for GA!? ****!?!

Yes, but they'll likely cancel and reschedule it.
  • Darth_DeVito
    1231 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Double post, sorry.
  • When are they canceling it cause ive already signed up and already set up my first defenses if they are canceling it they are way late in canceling it.
  • Although I'm aware they are cancelling this GA when they get back into the office...I've noticed that Ship GP has still been taken into consideration even though Ships aren't used this GA.
    This means between 8 people the gap is over 300k in character power.

So don't upgrade ships as it'll hold you back in GA? =S
  • CPTLoven
    10 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    They shouldn’t cancel. just add an extra GA. Everyone was notified of the window. Reward those who joined. Not the slackers who didn’t.
    Ship GP has always been a part of the calculation. The whiners want a calculation based on what? Your GP total of your best toons and ignore the fact you don’t focus your leveling and gearing efforts? This current GA at 3 million I have 40 G12 and the best opponent on paper has 24 G12. It’s not my fault people don’t focus.
  • The Grand Arena gp matchmaking should be based on a players top 50 characters . This makes matches fair most are completely lopsided . I have approx. 2.5 million gp with 5 gear 12 characters and in the arena I face an opponent with 2.5 million gp and 44 gear 12 characters .
    Matchmaking based on the top 50 characters actually makes it competitive and fair .
  • CPTLoven wrote: »
    They shouldn’t cancel. just add an extra GA. Everyone was notified of the window. Reward those who joined. Not the slackers who didn’t.
    Ship GP has always been a part of the calculation. The whiners want a calculation based on what? Your GP total of your best toons and ignore the fact you don’t focus your leveling and gearing efforts? This current GA at 3 million I have 40 G12 and the best opponent on paper has 24 G12. It’s not my fault people don’t focus.

“I’m way in front so GA is just great”
    SMUG, doesn’t address any issues. Feel good calling folks with issues “whiners”?

“Everyone (who reads all posts) was notified” - hey genius, lots of folks take this as A GAME, not a career. Reading forum posts is not mandatory, despite what you like
  • Could you please stop including ship in Matchmaking if no ship will be deployed in GA event? It's not hard to understand that this is a huge penalty for those who invested resources on ship... come on CG, you can do it!
  • keknoby
    93 posts Member
    how do you define the number of teams needed for the GA ?? i think there are some problems
    if you'r a player with 790k PG (i see there is still squads + fleets points mixed) you have to put 4 squads in def and save 4 squads for attack that's 40 toons, it's huge for a little account
    in the case or a 2 450k PG (once again you mixed the squads and fleet points for a squad only arena, great job...) you have to put 5 teams on def and keep 5 teams for off that's 50 toons
    so that's just a difference of 10 toons for a 3 times bigger account then the little one and it is not easy to manage on the big account, so on the little one it's just unplayable...
  • MorganFreeman
    196 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    CPTLoven wrote: »

What if you wern't available to login within that 1 hour? Work, sleep...whatever

When ships aren't used, matchups should be based on character GP total. This is fairer. Someone who has worked hard on getting their ships geared up is being penalized. You should never be punished for gearing characters or ships

Nice comments about whiners and focus. Your obviously a pretty stand up guy....

• “I’m way in front so GA is just great”
    SMUG, doesn’t address any issues. Feel good calling folks with issues “whiners”?

“Everyone (who reads all posts) was notified” - hey genius, lots of folks take this as A GAME, not a career. Reading forum posts is not mandatory, despite what you like.

You get from the game what you put into it.
    I work 40+ hours and have two kids under 3. Nothing here but a bunch of whiners wanting to be great with little effort.
    Top 50 really? If you focused on squads and got them to G12 on your own, you’d do better. Stop asking CG to do your focusing and do it yourself. Oh wait, it’s just a game. Since it’s just a game, stop whining!

• CPTLoven wrote: »
    I'm focused on ships.
    SHIPS ARE A PART OF THE GAME.
    I usually able to get into second rewards pool, but once I was last and twice in the third rewards pool - all of those happened in 3vs3 non-ships GAs.
    Yet it's not "fun and playful" when you always face opponents with 150-350k more character GP while you can not use the potential of the thing you focused on. And as a result, to get some results you need to pick you attacks carefully while you opponents doesn't even need to bother about his attacks.

PS: Your kids and a ton of arrogance doesn't give you a permission to label everyone who sees that something is wrong as a "whiner".

• Madpup
    279 posts Member

So I should be punished because it litterally never showed up for me to join, even during the supposed one hour window I had to get in. That seems fair.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

“I’m way in front so GA is just great”

“Everyone (who reads all posts) was notified” - hey genius, lots of folks take this as A GAME, not a career. Reading forum posts is not mandatory, despite what you like.

You get from the game what you put into it.
    I work 40+ hours and have two kids under 3. Nothing here but a bunch of whiners wanting to be great with little effort.
    Top 50 really? If you focused on squads and got them to G12 on your own, you’d do better. Stop asking CG to do your focusing and do it yourself. Oh wait, it’s just a game. Since it’s just a game, stop whining!
    You quote about as well as you troll.

The ship GP issue will be fixed because CG have acknowledged the problem.

The overlapping GA will be fixed because CG have acknowledged the problem.

You can crawl back under your bridge now.
  • Madpup wrote: »

So I should be punished because it litterally never showed up for me to join, even during the supposed one hour window I had to get in. That seems fair.

I agree we shouldn't be punished for missing out, especially since NOT all of us are glued to the forums 24/7 hoping to find a shred of information to speculate about. I didn't see an in game notice either, so I would hope they just give us all free stuff again to make this "go away"