Question about seemingly "random" Rancor reward placing when one person solos it?

So I just joined a new guild recently, and they apparently voted that Rancor will go on 24/no dmg and that only one person will do any damage, and just solo it, and everyone else will get a "random" placing.

This sounded "ok", I guess, however the placing of people does NOT look random? What determines who will come in 2nd, or last place in this case? I joined the raid once right at the start, and the next time I joined right before damage could start, and both times I placed last ~30th very disappointing this method for this raid.

If I at least knew what was the determining factor here maybe I could get better rewards. TIA

Replies

• Agarwaen
    136 posts Member
    Placement is random. My question would be, why has someone got 1st on lock down? Not a very guild centric attitude.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    It's random.

The person who placed first on sign up can solo it and save 49 other people the 5 to 10 minutes it takes to solo it. It's much more sensible than forcing all 50 players to solo stupid Rancor every 2 to 3 days.
  • Agarwaen
    136 posts Member
    Why would anyone be forced? Surely it should be a choice as to whether you want to enter the raid and press auto whilst making a coffee.
  • jayjonbeach
    697 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I really don't think it's random. I joined at the beginning once, joined at the end the next time, both times DEAD LAST!!!! I've almost got Solo 7* and this is just crap. Maybe because I am new in the guild?

You can tell before any damage is done too, like this time I joined right before the damage started and I was already in last place at that point. The first time I joined at the beginning and was in 1st or 2nd, and then everyone that joined after me just kept knocking me further down the ladder so weird
  • It really is. My last 3 tank raids I've placed 5th, 8th and 1st. Everyone gets the same score and places randomly.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    You were asking for the justification for this arrangement and I'm just informing you the rationale behind it.
  • Huatimus wrote: »
    You were asking for the justification for this arrangement and I'm just informing you the rationale behind it.

Doesn't sound like justice to me, more of a dictatorship ;)
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    I really don't think it's random. I joined at the beginning once, joined at the end the next time, both times DEAD LAST!!!! I've almost got Solo 7* and this is just crap. Maybe because I am new in the guild?

You can tell before any damage is done too, like this time I joined right before the damage started and I was already in last place at that point. The first time I joined at the beginning and was in 1st or 2nd, and then everyone that joined after me just kept knocking me further down the ladder so weird

It really is random, a random seed is generated upon sign up which is used as a tie-breaker for identical scores. Anyone who did not sign up would not have his position show up yet but if he also solos the raid, he will also have a random seed generated upon his raid completion.

Long long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, it used to be based on your player ID, so anyone starting with A was blessed. Mine was rek, and I was rekt real badly.
  • Fatzke
    705 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Huatimus wrote: »
    It's random.

The person who placed first on sign up can solo it and save 49 other people the 5 to 10 minutes it takes to solo it. It's much more sensible than forcing all 50 players to solo stupid Rancor every 2 to 3 days.
    Exactly. We do the same with HAAT. No need to play almost an hour to finish place 40 or something. Also better for the people who aren't able to solo HAAT, since they can reach top places too.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    simming the rancor can't come soon enough if you ask me
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Tattz
    192 posts Member
    I hate finishing first in the rancor I prefer the better rewards you get for finishing outside the top 20 🤣
  • Vendi1983
    5018 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Here's how placement works:

You click JOIN during the join period. Check where you are on that list, AND: IT'S RANDOM and does not take into account WHEN you click JOIN. Are you in #15 spot? #50 spot? #1 spot?

Remember that number.

Run the Raid. Anyone who solo's the whole thing technically ties with score, so the game goes back to the JOIN list and rearranges everyone who has an identical score based on where they were on the JOIN list. If you were #10 but you were the highest slotted person on the JOIN list that was able to solo you'll get #1.

If you posted 245,389 damage and someone else in your guild happened to do exactly the same, the two of you would be slotted in based on your total damage, probably somewhere near the bottom. BUT one of you would be ahead of the other: that is determined by who was higher on the join list.

In your exact case: 49 people post a 0 score. 1 person solos. He/she/they get #1 rewards and everyone else just gets slotted based on the JOIN list. So if you were #1 on join list, you would get #2 rewards because someone outscored you.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    evoluza wrote: »
    It is random!

This.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member

It's purely random, you are assigned a random seed the moment you sign up. I watch it quite carefully throughout the years. With the new algo the tiebreakers are determined at the moment you sign up. So you are able to foresee your position if you solod it. (not the exact placement but the order you'll get amongst other soloers)
  • Vendi1983 wrote: »

You click JOIN during the join period. Check where you are on that list, AND: IT'S RANDOM and does not take into account WHEN you click JOIN. Are you in #15 spot? #50 spot? #1 spot?

This is what I was led to believe, except, my position CHANGED the first time! I was in spot 1 or 2 after I joined as I joined first or second (can't remember), then after 30 more people joined, I came dead last! So the next time I joined last, and then I STILL came last!

I used to be good at math, not anymore, here is what a google search showed for this to happen:

Odds of coming in 30th place with 30 people: 1 in 30 = 0.03%.
    Odds of it happening twice in a row: 1 in 900 = 0.001%, that is some kind of really bad luck there if true.

• No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Vendi1983 wrote: »

This is what I was led to believe, except, my position CHANGED the first time! I was in spot 1 or 2 after I joined as I joined first or second (can't remember), then after 30 more people joined, I came dead last! So the next time I joined last, and then I STILL came last!

I used to be good at math, not anymore, here is what a google search showed for this to happen:

Odds of coming in 30th place with 30 people: 1 in 30 = 0.03%.
    Odds of it happening twice in a row: 1 in 900 = 0.001%, that is some kind of really bad luck there if true.

Keep watching, only thing that's important is the moment you join. As others keep joining with their unique seeds your overall placement will keep changing, but if your seed turns out to be the highest number you'll still end up first (before anyone hits the raid). It really doesn't matter when you do this.

The placements before you join is %100 unimportant.
  • Vendi1983
    5018 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    @jayjonbeach What I meant by "check where you are on that list" is to check it right before the raid begins OR once every member of the guild has joined.

That'll show you where you'll end up.

If you are the 3rd to join of course you can get bumped down the list. It's all random until everyone has joined OR the raid begins, then it's locked.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Agarwaen wrote: »
    Huatimus wrote: »

Doesn't sound like justice to me, more of a dictatorship ;)

Since the ranking is random, after a (very) large number of raids it will even out, so that each guild member had the same average rank and same amount of rewards. We do the same on evenings when Rancor raids collide with other raids. It's fine and fair.