What's your roster management strategy after the introduction of GA?

No_Try
4051 posts Member

What's your roster management strategy after the introduction of GA? 42 votes

Nothing changed
30%
7AnimalMotherCarth_Onassi1973AaaaaFeefyefoefumMr_SausagejhbuchholzDk_rekTheRealObiOneTRangerColtIce666DaPowerfulJediKarlitoGabe9876543210 13 votes
Started sandbagging (passive GP) / Trying to build lean going forth
30%
SarcodinoWaquictyc123No_TryRandomSithLordALsoccer19EntreritheatomicpunScuttlebuttvksgRath_TarrPatrick_LJenkinsVilhelm_der_Toller 13 votes
Already had a lean roster
19%
leefGreenGoblin96Veserion1wildirishOzymandias1Mstrefe1ScrawnyKid88cannonfodder_iv 8 votes
Somewhat more careful but not fretting too much
19%
RavenclawsSentiaTanzosAleSahnDroh_1979Thessaodai145tmjtloMarevElizar76 8 votes

Replies

• Started sandbagging (passive GP) / Trying to build lean going forth
    I had already started going lean before GA, but for example I take mods off the bottom half of my roster for GA so that GP doesn't count against me.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    I had already started going lean before GA, but for example I take mods off the bottom half of my roster for GA so that GP doesn't count against me.

Ah ok. Going forth with your votes, please consider that option related to passive sandbagging (opposed to only way of active sandbagging by dropping mods)
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    not entirely sure if others would consider my roster lean, but i'm mostly facing players with "weaker" rosters.
    edit: forgot that i unequiped a large portion of my mods when i was trying to stay sub 4m (which was a stupid idea and luckely didn't last long).
    as for the "leanness" of my roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/447911521/
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    not entirely sure if others would consider my roster lean, but i'm mostly facing players with "weaker" rosters.

Your perception of it is fine. Purely lean rosters are rather rare.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

Your perception of it is fine. Purely lean rosters are rather rare.

purely lean is pretty much impossible for me since i've been playing for 3 years+, so i just compared mine to my opponent's rosters to get a somewhat objective take on it.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Nothing changed
    I am already at the extreme..with just a handful of toons left to complete. For me to change now and focus on lean is only going to continue my rise in GP maybe faster then it would if I just complete what is almost done. Because after this I have nothing left but to gear and mod only the most viable ATM toons in this game. I'm still behind in zatas either way. And I don't want to sandbag others because I'm so far ahead of them I don't want walk through matches..I want challenges! Nothing easy and nothing impossible.

Edit: There is no guarantee that in the near foreseeable future anything may change. Yes CG and mods are listening and taking note..but untill it is announced and changes implemented. Nothing I can really do, but to swallow my bitter pill.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I guess this one fits...

I mostly stopped leveling / gearing toons I didn't care about long ago but when GA started I was over 50% fleet GP which really made life tough.

I have since maximized my current fleet arena team and all but stopped investing in ships, focusing on gearing up non-pilot characters instead.

It's actually quite difficult to rebalance squad/fleet GP levels because anything you do to a pilot whose ship you have unlocked costs you 2-2.5x the GP that the same character without a ship would.

Finally managed to get more squad than fleet GP recently while leveling up Murder Bears for 3PO.

Edit:
    I also no longer activate / star-up a toon a plan to use until I am ready to gear and skill them up. So I have an increasing backlog of toons pending Activation. 1337 sk1llz FTW! :p
    Post edited by Rath_Tarr on
  • Nothing changed
    I would star up toons but would often wait months to actually level them up or upgrade their abilities, until I had a squad or spot to use them in.

I think this comes from the early game where I never seemed to have enough credits and as I like to go from lvl 1 to 85 in one go, it certainly felt like a big chunk of change to spend, so I would just wait and pick and choose the particular toon or toons to work on.

Once I do start working on a toon I generally don't stop until they are at least G11 and have all abilities omega'ed or zeta'd (if its a good or relevant enough zeta)

A few exceptions to this rule of course. Most of my Phoenix are G8/9, mostly cause they still work really well at that level and once I had Thrawn, they became less of a must do project
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    Nothing changed
    I’m too lazy to do anything different with my roster. This game is enough of a time sink.
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    I guess this one fits...

I mostly stopped leveling / gearing toons I didn't care about long ago but when GA started I was over 50% fleet GP which really made life tough.

I have since maximized my current fleet arena team and all but stopped investing in ships, focusing on gearing up non-pilot characters instead.

It's actually quite difficult to rebalance squad/fleet GP levels because anything you do to a pilot whose ship you have unlocked costs you 2-2.5x the GP that the same character without a ship would.

Finally managed to get more squad than fleet GP recently while leveling up Murder Bears for 3PO.

Edit:
    I also no longer activate / star-up a toon a plan to use until I am ready to gear and skill them up. So I have an increasing backlog of toons pending Activation. 1337 sk1llz FTW! :p

Yea I agree with this. I will not unlock Ebon Hawk until someone shows me that it would be better in my current fleet than any other ships. I will try for as many shards as possible though.

What sucks is that I just started working on an OR team with Carth as the lead. Going to need to manage that carefully so I don’t inflate my GP with another ship.

The palpmobile hit me hard (38k GP at level 1) due to pilots that were already high gear. I can’t use the ship but it’s factored into my matchmaking...
    TRanger wrote: »
    I am already at the extreme..with just a handful of toons left to complete. For me to change now and focus on lean is only going to continue my rise in GP maybe faster then it would if I just complete what is almost done. Because after this I have nothing left but to gear and mod only the most viable ATM toons in this game. I'm still behind in zatas either way. And I don't want to sandbag others because I'm so far ahead of them I don't want walk through matches..I want challenges! Nothing easy and nothing impossible.

Edit: There is no guarantee that in the near foreseeable future anything may change. Yes CG and mods are listening and taking note..but untill it is announced and changes implemented. Nothing I can really do, but to swallow my bitter pill.

Remove mods from toons that you don’t use in GA. It’s a duct tape fix but better than nothing. If you need the mods on them for other reasons then you can just remove them right before GA rosters set and then replace them after.

Also, don’t activate new ships. Toons are a small GP increase but activating ships is a gross inflation of GP.
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    Nothing changed

Remove mods from toons that you don’t use in GA. It’s a duct tape fix but better than nothing. If you need the mods on them for other reasons then you can just remove them right before GA rosters set and then replace them after.

Also, don’t activate new ships. Toons are a small GP increase but activating ships is a gross inflation of GP.

That's the thing all ships have been activated..all toons (-4) lvl85 all unlocked...I tried sand bagging mods..ran out of credits as all my toons have them. And then the GP drop so small like 150-200k (can't remember) so I stopped...I would literally have too cut back all.mods and do load outs but that is too much to remember...load outs for 150+ (?) toons...(laughable) and then would it even work with what I have done, would it be enough. It's good advice it really is. And the constant calling it fluff...reminds me I wasted money weekly on this game. And all the work and $$ spent on that G.D. roster. Just why?

That's the thing all ships have been activated..all toons (-4) lvl85 all unlocked...I tried sand bagging mods..ran out of credits as all my toons have them. And then the GP drop so small like 150-200k (can't remember) so I stopped...I would literally have too cut back all.mods and do load outs but that is too much to remember...load outs for 150+ (?) toons...(laughable) and then would it even work with what I have done, would it be enough. It's good advice it really is. And the constant calling it fluff...reminds me I wasted money weekly on this game. And all the work and $$ spent on that G.D. roster. Just why?

Lol I never said my advice was good. It’s just ways to manipulate the system to bring your account more in line with where it should be. To be fair, I almost pulled the trigger on mods, but it just seemed too time consuming so I bailed on the idea. I’ll just keep rolling the dice with matchups until maybe I get lucky and face 7 other people with high ship GP and/or fluff.
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Nothing changed
    That's where I am at..I was.going to boycott the game mode...but I live to compete just not.at.an impossible disadvantage...but as you told me before just do it get my (mod salvage) reward something is better then nothing and I would oy hurt.myself in the long run.
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    GA matchmaking made me to not even activate the droid marquees for that extra ~1.2k 'useless' GP.
  • To my mind, the description of "sandbagging" doesn't fit the most effective roster build strategy for the current state of the game. With TW and GA in the mix, low-gear characters hurt the progress of the individual and the guild, so it is pointless to start a build unless you go all-in to max gear, and as fast as possible.

So now I am focusing on g12 for most everything I once left at g11, and everything I left at g10 is now a liability so they are next, too. The new stuff? Unless it's OP (like Revan), it gets ignored. Is that sandbagging or just playing the game they way it needs to be played?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    To my mind, the description of "sandbagging" doesn't fit the most effective roster build strategy for the current state of the game. With TW and GA in the mix, low-gear characters hurt the progress of the individual and the guild, so it is pointless to start a build unless you go all-in to max gear, and as fast as possible.

So now I am focusing on g12 for most everything I once left at g11, and everything I left at g10 is now a liability so they are next, too. The new stuff? Unless it's OP (like Revan), it gets ignored. Is that sandbagging or just playing the game they way it needs to be played?

However you define it, we aren't trying to put down definitions on this particular topic. So in order to avoid confusion I put 2 definition which results in the same end to me. If you started to play with a new ruleset of your own and firmly abide by it, that line suits you. If you do the same not that firmly, it's the last option.