SWkotorGOH? What's next?

Prev134
gpeeee
126 posts Member
Hey guys, I know many of you enjoy KOTOR but personally, I could care less and have zero interest in anything KOTOR. That being said, the announcement of Ebon Hawk had me wondering what it was and, of course, it's another KOTOR item. After this year long of pretty much KOTOR take over, what do you guys think will be next? Do you think there will be anything else canon to release BEFORE Episode 9 or do you think it will mostly be Episode 9 stuff? Just curious as to what you guys think might be on the books for future AFTER KOTOR.

Replies

  • Options
    I hope lots more kotor stuff is coming.
  • Options
    Well... I could care less and have zero interest in anything Sequel Trilogy related, so...
    MORE EXPANDED UNIVERSE PLEASE!
  • Options
    Firstly and lastly, the devs are handing out a ship obtainable by every over(60?) and that means free to play players also have a good chance to unlock it. Be greatful or kiss good bye to the free content! I couldn’t care if it was Jar Jar binks. Free is free and i’m soo thankful i don’t need to wait 5 months to start farming it.
  • MasterSeedy
    5102 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I never played KOTOR, so I'm still a bit bewildered by the apparent passion for characters from one video game to be ported into a completely different video game with completely different mechanics.

    So, of course, I have no idea what inspires KOTOR fans or when this fad will be over, but I can say that back in the rest of the Star Wars universe that they still haven't tapped all the good characters from Rebels. The Inquisitors (minus the very silly helicopter-travel-by-spinning-lightsaber) would work. A post-Clone Wars Darth maul with robot legs would work. Vulture droids for ships would almost work. You'd have to figure out what you want to require on the "pilot" side. I think you're seeing the emergence of new attention to ships with Han's Falcon, the Emperor's Shuttle, and now Ebon Hawk. Rather than a few important ships, I believe those are the leading edge of significant tide. We might get a ship raid (or, as I prefer and just discussed on another thread, a ship GW that refreshes weekly instead of daily).

    There's a lot of things we might get. Hopefully it will be from content that's not another video game. But to each her own, and my Bastila thrashes TB nodes equally well whether I ever played KOTOR or not.
  • Options
    I never played KOTOR, so I'm still a bit bewildered by the apparent passion for characters from one video game to be ported into a completely different video game with completely different mechanics.

    So, of course, I have no idea what inspires KOTOR fans or when this fad will be over, but I can say that back in the rest of the Star Wars universe that they still haven't tapped all the good characters from Rebels. The Inquisitors (minus the very silly helicopter-travel-by-spinning-lightsaber) would work. A post-Clone Wars Darth maul with robot legs would work. Vulture droids for ships would almost work. You'd have to figure out what you want to require on the "pilot" side. I think you're seeing the emergence of new attention to ships with Han's Falcon, the Emperor's Shuttle, and now Ebon Hawk. Rather than a few important ships, I believe those are the leading edge of significant tide. We might get a ship raid (or, as I prefer and just discussed on another thread, a ship GW that refreshes weekly instead of daily).

    There's a lot of things we might get. Hopefully it will be from content that's not another video game. But to each her own, and my Bastila thrashes TB nodes equally well whether I ever played KOTOR or not.

    2 games actually :smile: but honestly I think a lot of people are excited by the fact that KOTOR releases could potentially mean other releases from the Legends timelines and not just new canon content.
  • Options
    I didn’t mind it at first. I don’t like the game, but plenty do, so I live with it. But it’s starting to get extremely annoying that there are not only so many characters, but that it’s meta defining. Meanwhile, Disney has some outstanding new content they are churning out in the books and comics and nothing from the literature has been touched at all.
  • CazNeerg
    361 posts Member
    Options
    gpeeee wrote: »
    Hey guys, I know many of you enjoy KOTOR but personally, I could care less and have zero interest in anything KOTOR. That being said, the announcement of Ebon Hawk had me wondering what it was and, of course, it's another KOTOR item. After this year long of pretty much KOTOR take over, what do you guys think will be next? Do you think there will be anything else canon to release BEFORE Episode 9 or do you think it will mostly be Episode 9 stuff? Just curious as to what you guys think might be on the books for future AFTER KOTOR.

    It's "couldn't care less." If you could care less, the implication is that you care.

    For me, I couldn't care less what it is after they run through all the KOTOR stuff, because that portion of Star Wars is literally the only part I would ever even consider spending money on in SWGOH. And if I'm not invested enough to spend, I'm not invested enough to spend brain power speculating either.
    There's a lot of things we might get. Hopefully it will be from content that's not another video game. But to each her own, and my Bastila thrashes TB nodes equally well whether I ever played KOTOR or not.

    Serious question; what is it about characters who originated in video games that causes you to view them as inherently "less than" characters who originate in other parts of Star Wars? Shouldn't the quality of writing, quality of art, and quality of acting be more important than whether those things were in a game, cartoon, comic book, or live action?
    2 games actually :smile: but honestly I think a lot of people are excited by the fact that KOTOR releases could potentially mean other releases from the Legends timelines and not just new canon content.

    I don't think other Legends content is very likely. I think that the powers that be have basically decided at this point that KOTOR is too popular a setting to leave abandoned, and some version of it is going to become canon. That's not something that can happen with most Legends content, because most of it is from time periods where the new canon explicitly contradicts it. 99% of KOTOR could be left exactly as is, made canon, and not contradict anything Disney has done.
  • Options
    According to what Mc2Mole said in his latest video Darth Malak is next this month. Legendary Event unlock at 5 stars.

    I was hoping for Malak before Darth Revan so fingers crossed.
  • Options
    gpeeee wrote: »
    Hey guys, I know many of you enjoy KOTOR but personally, I could care less and have zero interest in anything KOTOR. That being said, the announcement of Ebon Hawk had me wondering what it was and, of course, it's another KOTOR item. After this year long of pretty much KOTOR take over, what do you guys think will be next? Do you think there will be anything else canon to release BEFORE Episode 9 or do you think it will mostly be Episode 9 stuff? Just curious as to what you guys think might be on the books for future AFTER KOTOR.

    Don't care what comes after unless it's all the main characters from KOTOR 2 or Delta Squad from Republic Commando. Until then I'mma farm all the KOTOR toons cause they've actually got character behind them. Everyone in the Sequel trilogy is static and has no growth. Maybe Kylo, but I'm not gunna hold my breath. It has only been a year of KOTOR and the Devs stated that they had an ambitious 5-year plan for the game, I'm sure you non-KOTOR fans might get some characters you'll enjoy.
    Started July 2016, completely FTP : https://swgoh.gg/u/rogenhamen/
  • Options
    #1 - it’s not like KOTOR is just one video game. It was the start of the entire Old Republic-era EU which included KOTOR 2 and the SWTOR MMO that is still going to this day and numerous comics, graphic novels and books about the Old Republic era. It’s the backstory of the entire SW universe....the Jedi and the Sith and their battles and wars for the fate of the universe. So if you’re only familiar with the movies, that’s fine, but don’t act like the Old Republic era stuff isn’t a significant part of the SW universe because that is absurd. #2 - CG isn’t here to personally cater the game to your preferences. Everyone has their favorite characters, movies, stories, etc. and they obviously can’t make everyone happy 100% of the time. There was nothing KOTOR-related in this game other than HK-47 for more than 2 years after the game launched....and KOTOR characters were towards the top of many of their polls and surveys for characters to add. Just because you aren’t interested in something doesn’t mean nobody else is. #3 - KOTOR is one of the most popular SW video games of all time. It stands to reason that many people playing another SW video game will be familiar with it. If this is the first SW video game you’ve played then you’re probably not their target demographic. #4 - since Revan, we’ve had Chewie, 3PO, the Falcon and Droideka, B1 with reworked Grievious, Magma and B2. Let’s not act like we haven’t had other stuff on the last few months. With the Clone Wars series coming back in the Fall, I’m sure we’ll see more Clone Wars stuff after Darth Revan.
  • Phoenixeon
    1842 posts Member
    Options
    If you dont like it, dont level gear those char, simple.
    Be patient, you will get your turn.
  • Options
    Firstly and lastly, the devs are handing out a ship obtainable by every over(60?) and that means free to play players also have a good chance to unlock it. Be greatful or kiss good bye to the free content! I couldn’t care if it was Jar Jar binks. Free is free and i’m soo thankful i don’t need to wait 5 months to start farming it.

    ? Do you work for CG? How is it going to be f2p friendly?
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    I don't care about SW much at all...really.

    Kotor is the best SW related thing I've seen, but then I don't care for them to be in this game. It's not like this game has any storytelling/feeling value...at least not for me.

    I do care whatever gets released means for this game in terms of this game.

  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Options
    I didn’t mind it at first. I don’t like the game, but plenty do, so I live with it. But it’s starting to get extremely annoying that there are not only so many characters, but that it’s meta defining. Meanwhile, Disney has some outstanding new content they are churning out in the books and comics and nothing from the literature has been touched at all.

    Although I disagree that KOTOR is a complete takeover, I do believe there is a lot of potential in the new (and old) novels. I loved the old novels, and so far the new ones are just as enticing. I think they should have geared Thrawn more towards the new books, toward his roots, instead of his Rebels story. And although most of the book is politicians blabbering, Eli Vanto and Governor Pryce (also in Rebels) are interesting characters.
  • NgH
    59 posts Member
    Options
    I'm betting it's going to be clone wars era, probably some time in the summer, so that they can leave the fall open for more sequel trilogy stuff.
  • Phoenixeon
    1842 posts Member
    Options
    NgH wrote: »
    I'm betting it's going to be clone wars era, probably some time in the summer, so that they can leave the fall open for more sequel trilogy stuff.

    And people who dont care about clones come out and complain.
  • Ultra
    11541 posts Moderator
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Hopefully we can move on to the legacy era with Mara Jade / Kyle Katarn / Darth Krayt etc
  • flux_rono
    2129 posts Member
    Options
    i imagine KOTOR for a while then episode 9 will happen, then they follow up with some random released characters in the original trilogy, finally i hope they either start working on the prequels more or work with the force unleased
  • Options
    @CazNeerg
    Serious question; what is it about characters who originated in video games that causes you to view them as inherently "less than" characters who originate in other parts of Star Wars? Shouldn't the quality of writing, quality of art, and quality of acting be more important than whether those things were in a game, cartoon, comic book, or live action?

    it doesn't make them "inherently" less than, but I've never seen a video game - ever - that had characterization as deep or as complex as even the relatively predictable Star Wars movie characters. On top of that, I've never heard people quote dialog of video game characters the way people quote dialog from movies like various Star Wars movies or The Princess Bride. And I've played interesting video games, sure. FF7 & Parasite Eve were two I really liked from just before the KOTOR era, but while they had interesting story to them, the VAST majority of the time you're interacting with the game you're not getting story, you're hunting items or fighting a boss, etc.

    Because of all this, my experience of talking about old video games with other people is that people remember things that they did in the video game, not plot or dialog that they didn't create. I actually think that that's very cool, but it also plays into the Munchkin factor: people don't want Revan because they really felt the horror of Revan finding out his real dad is a Sith. They want Revan because they remember that one time they did 99 million with a single hit. It's the difference between thinking a character is cool because of the backstory and thinking a character is cool because their sword is +5.

    Understand, that part isn't about the writing of the character. Even a very well written character with emotionally resonant scenes can easily be remembered by the Munchkin gamers only for the 99 million damage special ability. Thus it's more about the fans and how I hear people talk about the games than about the games themselves.

    But this isn't just smug superiority or mere annoyance at the munchkins. If people are clamoring for a toon that they remember as having a certain characterization, then the kit might actually reflect that characterization. The B1 is a great example here: they invented a whole new mechanic to go through waves and waves of 1 hp droids without blanketing the screen with B1 copies. That's great. That's putting characterization into the kit. But if your fan base is begging for a character, and you want to satisfy your fanbase, merely because the character chopped everything else in half with 10 times the offense and 50 times the health of any other character, they're pretty much compelled to make the toon a completely death-monster. Characterization is completely secondary. Can you even imagine if they had made a Revan toon of mediocre power? Would you have people saying, "Wow, you really nailed the characterization so I have fun playing the toon even though it doesn't win any battles for me"? Or would you have the entire forum filled with complaints that the Revan is junk because it doesn't destroy everything else on the board?

    I'm personally of the opinion that the pressure from munchkins to include Revan not only pushed EA/CG to make a Revan (which is fine), but also forced EA/CG to make Revan super powerful or face a horrendous backlash.

    I don't mind Old Republic. I don't mind learning SW lore I didn't know. But I don't have faith that what motivates the calls for Revan's inclusion are all about characterization. I pessimistically believe that they are more about remembering the massive ****-kickings they managed to dish out using Revan.

    Obviously this is a demographic argument. Some people will want Revan included for primarily other reasons, and all humans are complex beings and no one who advocates for Revan will ever be advocating entirely from one reason. But thinking of the test, "Could EA/CG have introduced a Revan with an interesting kit but mediocre power level, a la Old Ben Kenobi, without getting trashed in the forums?" I'm convinced the answer would be an emphatic No.

    I don't want EA/CG to create a toon where the primary desire is for something powerful rather than something good. I don't know Revan's story in any detail, so you can believe they did a good job with Revan's kit somehow reflecting his character and I won't doubt you, but if they did do a good job it's despite the munchkin fanbase, not because of it.

    I don't like the incentives that introduces. Even if EA/CG did it well this time, it tends to enhance power creep - in fact, dramatically accelerate power creep - and also to reward aspects of the game (pure power) that I find less rewarding than others (complicated kits that you can combine intelligently in unexpected ways with unexpected characters to produce unexpected and interesting results and/or kits that combine with others, even if predictably, to produce small effects that snowball such that if you can stay alive long enough, things come together and you can throw an avalanche at your opponent). I'd prefer more story telling as well, but this type of game doesn't have that. Whatever googleplay says, it's not an RPG.

    So, yeah. That's long, but I hope it explains that it's not that a character's original medium makes it inherently better. However, in this case, with this medium (the KOTOR electronic RPG), with this fanbase, I think it over-rewards things I'd rather see less rewarded.

    I am, of course, only one player. I'm also not going to stop playing simply because they introduce characters from KOTOR or one (or a few) overpowered character/s. But I do have my preferences, and my current preference is that moving on from KOTOR is probably more to my taste than dwelling on it further.
  • mesa176750
    663 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Most of us KOTOR fanboys are fine to have both pies, we love most of the OT and PT content, along with animated series. But as much as you complain, from our point of view we had 2 years of 4 Old Republic characters. (HK-47 in the first year, Darth Nhilus, Sith trooper, and Sith assassin in the second year) This third year is really where we had lots of great new Old Republic content, gaining 17 characters from the Old Republic Era (including the now Ebon Hawk). There are plenty more I want to see in the game personally. But even this third year was far from a "KOTOR Only" year. (people are mad because two separate metas contained kotor characters mixed with other era characters such as palpatine or grand master yoda) We had the solo characters, bounty hunter rework along with several new bounty hunters, and three legendary characters released from the OT era: Chewbacca, C-3P0, and the Millennium Falcon. These all make me happy, I enjoy all this content. You complainers make me sick. You should enjoy all things star wars, not just those things that you like. Maybe this is a reminder for you to spend less than $10 to buy KOTOR and play it on xbox, Mac, or PC. Or maybe it's just a place for you to complain over and over again. Who knows?
  • Options
    You complainers make me sick.

    Whoa. Seriously. Slow down. Every single criticism here has been pretty mild, but now you're getting "sick" because someone expressed an opinion that wasn't fawning? Maybe you've got a wee too much invested here.

    You should enjoy all things star wars, not just those things that you like.

    People have a responsibility to like the things that aren't included in those things that they like?

    How does that even make sense?
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Options
    How a 2nd rate video games characters have been put into such a high status in this game I'll never know. KOTOR content isnt even official star wars material yet we have a year long dominance from toons 75% of the star wars fandom never heard of. It is what it is but I would much prefer real characters from star wars be part of any meta
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Options
    Firstly and lastly, the devs are handing out a ship obtainable by every over(60?) and that means free to play players also have a good chance to unlock it. Be greatful or kiss good bye to the free content! I couldn’t care if it was Jar Jar binks. Free is free and i’m soo thankful i don’t need to wait 5 months to start farming it.

    Meh prob only one ship in history of game was 3* -4* star viable. And its still most used ship in game...

    I do not mind GC at all... but till sith meta hits palp worthless at 7*. And hawk will prob be great at 7*... but under current meta just unlocking a ship for free means nothing... even arena unless some gimmick like droideka marquee GC toons pretty meh till maxxed...

    So yeah great i get 2-3* hawk for free..... ill let ya know in 2020 how it does when maxxed...again i like GC gonna farm stuff anyway :) but these days its still meh cept for whales
  • Options
    Dude, there is such toxicity behind these complaints that you all make me sick. Yours might have been mild, but the fact that your complaints are saying that this game is only a KOTOR game now is dumb. You know that around 10% of the current content in the game is related to the Old Republic Era? There are a total of 18 characters from the old republic era, and 3 ships. There are proportionally more of every single era content in this game. But you don't want to care about the facts. You only want to care about your preferred content. I love the Old Republic faction the most. Me and several other people have voted for Old Republic content for a couple years in the surveys that CG has sent out. We are happy to have this content. But the difference between KOTOR fans and you complainers is that we are happy to get all the content we can get. So yes, you all make me sick. 1 year of Old Republic dominance (mixed with Original Trilogy and Prequel Trilogy content of course) versus 2 years of every other era dominance. Plus we all know that the game won't be focused on KOTOR for the entire lifespan.

    I'll let you in on a secret. I never heard of the Clone Wars TV series, nor Rebels TV series until this game. This game made me want to watch that content and I fell in in love with it. MAYBE, JUST MAYBE, if you played KOTOR you would understand why there are so many passionate fans about it! It would take you the same amount of time to play the games as it did for me to watch the TV series.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Options
    @CazNeerg
    Serious question; what is it about characters who originated in video games that causes you to view them as inherently "less than" characters who originate in other parts of Star Wars? Shouldn't the quality of writing, quality of art, and quality of acting be more important than whether those things were in a game, cartoon, comic book, or live action?

    it doesn't make them "inherently" less than, but I've never seen a video game - ever - that had characterization as deep or as complex as even the relatively predictable Star Wars movie characters. On top of that, I've never heard people quote dialog of video game characters the way people quote dialog from movies like various Star Wars movies or The Princess Bride. And I've played interesting video games, sure. FF7 & Parasite Eve were two I really liked from just before the KOTOR era, but while they had interesting story to them, the VAST majority of the time you're interacting with the game you're not getting story, you're hunting items or fighting a boss, etc.

    People quote dialogues from a movie not necessarily because it's deep but that particular thing grew so much that several instances from it got soaked in the popular culture. And this has been further reinforced by repetition in the franchises themselves. Why are they all oneliners where you can apply to incredibly many situations?

    -It's a trap-
    -I've got a bad feeling about this-

    Video games have been hardly any different in this sense, I mean the video games that reached similar levels of popularity as movie franchises. If I said "Work, work" in a particular tone, many would get what I'm quoting from and context of it, or "nuclear launch detected". Similarly iconographies, symbols from them are employed widely.

    Lastly I have hard time taking your claim that any average SW movie has better characterization/deeper story than any game you've played seriously. But that's whole another avenue we can riff on I guess.

  • Options
    I'm FtP and got the Emperor's Shuttle to 5* during its event.

    Yes, I had to spend a bunch of crystals on it, but I just suspended my Cantina energy refreshes for those days & spent the same crystals on Fleet refreshes ... and then bought the 1x Fleet Energy pack in the store for 600 crystals.

    So really, I just delayed Cantina farm for 4 days + spent 600 crystals. That's it. Got a 5* ship. Better than marquee which tops out at 3*. The big problem here is that the pilot is Carth, who is a long, slow farm at this point with just one fleet node.
  • Options
    Kotor is the best star wars ever so the more we get the better.
  • Options
    If KOTOR has a place here, what about other video games like unleashed and battlefront to name a few?
  • Options
    keiths9216 wrote: »
    If KOTOR has a place here, what about other video games like unleashed and battlefront to name a few?

    We should have starkiller in this game, among others. (Kyle Katarn for example) Non of us KOTOR fanboys would complain about that content in the game at all. Just these purists that only want Original Trilogy or Prequel Trilogy content in the game.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Options
    yankeeh8er wrote: »
    Kotor is the best star wars ever so the more we get the better.

    Hyperbole is the most awesome thing ever! Especially when it's based on your opinion!
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

    In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
Sign In or Register to comment.