Something I think would make arena more interesting

Anyone remember playing Final Fantasy XII? Wasn't my favorite of the games, but I really liked the Gambit system they introduced. It gave the user some control over how the AI teammates reacted in battle. You could program a prioritized list of actions to take, and a conditional threshold for when to perform the actions.

I think it would be neat to incorporate something similar into your arena squad, so that each user could have some degree of control over how their team plays defense in a match, instead of relying on the (fairly stupid) AI attacks.

Seems silly, for instance, that treya teams have no problem beating Revan in offense, but they get smoked by the same opponent when defending. Imagine if you could program isolate and fracture to always Target Revan and Yoda when defending, or save Jolee's revive ability for when an ally has died, or if a specific ally is nearly dead. Or only use GK's cleanse when the party has X debuffs etc...

The devs wouldn't need to bother hardcoding specific abilities, and at the very least would add some variety to battles nowadays.

Replies

• Allenb60
    2171 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Well Traya works because Revan targets her, if defense could be controlled then Traya might be better on defense but she wont be able to consistantly tank direct focus on offense
  • I loved FFXII and have thought the same thing about gambits and how they could apply to this game.

Unfortunately I don't see it happening. The fact that teams drop on defense leads to refreshes which is crystal expendature. Adding this feature reduces the need for refreshes and will make arena more frustrating since now I dont have to learn just how to counter Revan, but how to counter each different player's Revan. This leads to players losing interest and quitting.

Great idea though. I would absolutely love it if they did such a thing.

• Adding this feature reduces the need for refreshes and will make arena more frustrating since now I dont have to learn just how to counter Revan, but how to counter each different player's Revan. This leads to players losing interest and quitting.

Great idea though. I would absolutely love it if they did such a thing.

See, to me this sort of thing would add to interest. The thing that's kept me playing through the slog of revan in SA lately has been trying to mix up my move priorities depending on what the enemy chooses. I'm still not perfect, but I think I have a better win/lose record than many.
  • You wanna play ff there's a mobile version. Not here for an rpg.
  • We're here to fight not fantasize