Player fatigue

NgH
59 posts Member
This is not about Revan or KotoR, but does anyone else feel like the game was a lot more fun and engaging three years ago? By the way, that is when I started playing, approximately, and I realize that there's a lot more to do as a new player, but it's not that. I have an alternate account that I just recently started on and I get the same feeling when playing on that - the way that the game has developed over time has gradually diminished my interest in playing. Not sure I can put my finger on it, but was wondering if anyone else feels the same.

Replies

• I don't think anything the game has worked in over the last years has diminished fun or engagement, but everything they have added so far has had limits on what it can bring to the table. TB was fun and exciting for quite a while, but now Ive got plenty of squads that can auto all the battles, so I doesn't add the same level of engagement it used to. I'm still having fun with HSTR, but I place in top 3 so the competitiveness keeps me engaged. If I were lower in the guild placing > 10th, there would be less reason to bother trying for my best score.

TW isn't my bag, our guild never wins it.

I really like the 3v3 GA, it mixed things up enough that I get to play with setups that I don't use in other modes.

Squad arena is super stale now, evidenced by the (seemingly) hundreds of "omg revan sucks" posts going around.

I'm sure the devs have new content up their sleeves coming soon, but that will likely be temporary. I wish they'd open up some sort of sandbox mode to try things out, like the test accounts but again to everyone. I like theory crafting but there's no way to actually play around with things unless you commit to the character and level them up.. game progression is slow, so who wants to dump valuable resources on a blind guess?

I also wish that the game didn't reply so heavily on randomness, namely mods. Mods are the only real way that players have choice in altering the way characters work, but you're at the mercy of the RNG Gods as far as what you have to work with. Mods 2.0 was incredibly helpful, but mood management is still a heavy burden and way too random. Would have been cooler if you could "build" the mod you want by gathering components, then assigning the stats you want with the parts collected. I think if I could have any one thing changed in the game, it would be this
  • I have the same feeling every six weeks. The last time was ironically 12 minutes prior to finding your post. I haven't played in two days and just am frustrated and exhausted with modes being no fun, grinds being no fun and unbearable. And having toons zetas and capital ships being screwed up after months of farming and years of usage. I wouldn't mind the lousy drop rates if I could have fun blowing the crystals. And it takes sooooo long for a character realease. What three a year. And two are trash. Hurry up with vaylin senya and the twins.
  • It's less like a game and more like a chore plus homework, with little to no reward.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    NgH wrote: »
    This is not about Revan or KotoR, but does anyone else feel like the game was a lot more fun and engaging three years ago? By the way, that is when I started playing, approximately, and I realize that there's a lot more to do as a new player, but it's not that. I have an alternate account that I just recently started on and I get the same feeling when playing on that - the way that the game has developed over time has gradually diminished my interest in playing. Not sure I can put my finger on it, but was wondering if anyone else feels the same.

Yes.

Unfortunately, we also lost 3 launch players from out guild last week for the same reason. I've mentioned this in other threads, but honestly, I think people are just growing weary of CG's blatant "meta-manipulation" game. They release a meta-defining character, make it "pay-to-play" the first time around, do the same in ships, then are simply lazily repeating the cycle 6-8 weeks later. While the game has always had meta teams and fleets, for about the past 18 months, the "meta-defining" has been much more heavy handed on CG's part. There has never been an 88%+ used team in the top 50 in 3+ years....until now.

Sure, ships have been fairly stagnant, but that's simply because there are so few options. There are literally dozens and dozens of characters that have leadership abilities - for fleet, there are 4 capital ships. There are almost 170 characters in the game - but only 36 ships.

On the one hand, you have CG_Crumb stating they don't "want to be prescriptive" in how players play - on the other, if you don't have the "meta of the month", you are at a major disadvantage - in the respective arenas, TW, GA, raids (especially because the reward structure in HSith is competitive, not cooperative, like the other raids), etc. This leads to either a bunch of "mirror matches" or the simply "I don't have the newest meta ship/character so I lose."

Just as a current example, I fight the same Revan team (Revan/Jolee/GMY/GK/Bastila) 10 times/day. Minimum. If I am in TW and GA, 12...at least. Then in fleet - same (only 5 fights against HMF - I don't even bother refreshing fleet anymore)...and then again in TW.

I realize CG has to produce a game that is both fun for the players and makes a profit. Unfortunately, in the last 18 months, they have focused too strongly on the latter, at the expense of the former. They can right the ship - but sadly, I don't think they will. I think we're stuck in the heavy-handed, meta-defining cycle of whale miliking churn that CG has created over the past 18 months. Unfortunately, there is no R2 to shut off the walls of this machine.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    i spend significantly less time ingame than lets say a year ago. Which is fine really, saves time and i still enjoy the game when i'm playing.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    i spend significantly less time ingame than lets say a year ago. Which is fine really, saves time and i still enjoy the game when i'm playing.

Interesting. There aren't too many games that people enjoy more, the less they play. Maybe CG is on to something. ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • I'd agree. This year I've spent a lot less time in-game vs previous years, and spending is down to around 10% of what I've spent here by this point in previous years. Both time and spending largely just going on different games. I have started questioning if I'll still be playing in 6 months!