Darth Revan (Opinion as of now)

Prev1
H_B0MBZ
292 posts Member
I believe the reason we haven't heard any news on DR is because they are still tweaking his kit. I (think) he can't consistently beat Revan on offense and because of that CG can't release him. The problem is that the Revan, Jolee, gmy, GK, and Bastila combo is super strong and consistency is very difficult against this team.

In previous metas there were only a few mechanics that made team comps tough to beat such as, Speed, Dodge, counter, taunt/Regen. Those could be countered by the introduction of one toon/move. (i.e Zmaul,-R2D2 burning). With revan there is speed, revive, clense, taunt, ignore taunt, heal. That's alot to deal with. So if they do make a hard counter to Revan that is CONSISTENT I will be quite surprised. And in all honesty nervous as well. I hate using this term but to be better then Revan CG will be walking a very fine line on power creep.

P.S. I know CG said GG was meant to be a Grand Arena team but I honestly don't buy it. That was damage control. His rework is very unique and against popular opinion his kit is built towards countering Revan teams.

So why did it fail? Revan is just a very strong team with very few weaknesses. So in order to not have another GG debacle the devs are putting in more effort to fine tune DR's kit and like mentioned before I think they are having alot of trouble doing that.

I'm curious to know your opinions!!
Let the conspiracy theories commence!!

Replies

• jkray622
    1636 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    We've seen little info because Darth Revan will be released Thursday as a "Galactic Chase - Flash Event" that falls outside the Cadence (so we don't get one week's notice). Only players with Carth, Juhani, Canderous, and Bastila Fallen will be eligible to see this event and earn bonus shards for Darth Revan.

The flash events will pop up for 30 minutes at a time, at random intervals throughout the day, so check your device every 30 minutes!

#satire #Ihopeit'ssatire
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Not at all, the current meta could be shut down by one or 2 simple mechanics that already exist in game being combined into a leader ability.

Breaking up this meta doesnt require an as complex (or more complex) kit as we see here.

I am more in the thinking that the rumor mill got ahead of itself.
  • H_B0MBZ
    292 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    Not at all, the current meta could be shut down by one or 2 simple mechanics that already exist in game being combined into a leader ability.

Breaking up this meta doesnt require an as complex (or more complex) kit as we see here.

What mechanics/leadership are you thinking? And even if it could take out Revan would it be able to to hold on D against Revan and still be able to be countered by other non Revan teams?

Like others stated if we can't go back to rock/paper/scissors then all this will be is another Revan 2.0.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member

I was expecting a puzzle/announcement last Thursday/Friday and the Darth Revan Journey starting this thursday, because then the gap between "the last required toon going f2p" and "journey start" would be the same for Jedi Revan and Darth Revan.

At this point, the Devs are giving us more time to farm for Darth Revan than we were given for Jedi Revan. The design elements are all there that point to him. The rumor mill got ahead of itself, but I'm still surprised we haven't heard anything because the longer they give people to farm for free, the less income the event will bring in.
  • jkray622 wrote: »

I was expecting a puzzle/announcement last Thursday/Friday and the Darth Revan Journey starting this thursday, because then the gap between "the last required toon going f2p" and "journey start" would be the same for Jedi Revan and Darth Revan.

At this point, the Devs are giving us more time to farm for Darth Revan than we were given for Jedi Revan. The design elements are all there that point to him. The rumor mill got ahead of itself, but I'm still surprised we haven't heard anything because the longer they give people to farm for free, the less income the event will bring in.

It is quite easy to bring in income, they just need to make ebon hawk a requirement at 6*. Just enough to make players pull out $20 each
  • H_B0MBZ
    292 posts Member
    jkray622 wrote: »

Exactly. You are correct. I think the Ebon Hawk was just thrown out to by them more time. (which is why game developers and players were caught completely off guard by this). Plus if CG didn't want rumors floating or they want to make a profit, each day that passes that window shortens.
  • H_B0MBZ
    292 posts Member
    evoluza wrote: »
    Super strong?
    You know death mark? You know he probably get that ability?
    Jedi revan is done soon.
    I just hope mods matter again.
    Last time I won an arena match and didn't have mods on bastila and only 4 on kenobi.
    What's the point in mods if you only need revan lead + buffs?
    Get your stuff straight CG

What if they focus on DR. He will be knocked out before even using it. Plus he won't have the same support characters such as gmy or Jolee.

But hopefully you are correct. I love Kotor but I'm kinda done with this Revan meta atm. Hopefully Darth revan has good synergy

This^^^*
    All of it.
  • H_B0MBZ wrote: »

What mechanics/leadership are you thinking? And even if it could take out Revan would it be able to to hold on D against Revan and still be able to be countered by other non Revan teams?

Like others stated if we can't go back to rock/paper/scissors then all this will be is another Revan 2.0.

Nothing holds on defense and I doubt if they would make it so.

Mechanics I’d like to see on faster toons- AOE Buff immunity, removal of buffs (asajj), AoE stagger and daze. Revan teams are fast enough that other squads with these mechanics are taken out too quickly.
  • H_B0MBZ
    292 posts Member
    H_B0MBZ wrote: »

Mechanics I’d like to see on faster toons- AOE Buff immunity, removal of buffs (asajj), AoE stagger and daze. Revan teams are fast enough that other squads with these mechanics are taken out too quickly.

I agree nothing can hold on D, but if Darth Revan isn't a hard counter to Revan why would people switch up teams.

I like what you are thinking. B2 is a great dispeller but the buff immunity gets cleansed to quick which almost makes it useless. I think something similar to JTR non clensable heal immunity special would be interesting. Maybe like a non clensable buff immunity. Of course it would be single Target only.
  • jkray622
    1636 posts Member

It is quite easy to bring in income, they just need to make ebon hawk a requirement at 6*. Just enough to make players pull out $20 each

But if they don't tell us that a 6* Ebon Hawk is a requirement, those players aren't going to pull out $20 each. Most players won't spend money on speculation. So if they are going to make the Ebon Hawk a requirement for Darth Revan, they'll have to bring back the event, and some players who spent a ton of crystals will get it to 6 or 7 stars without spending any money.

The money flows once requirements are known. Right now, there might not even BE a Darth Revan (though doubtful).

Remember - Jedi Revan's kit wasn't released until like a day before his event because they were still tweaking it. But they still had to announce his arrival a week in advance per their promised Cadence. So next Monday is the earliest that Darth Revan can arrive. Since most Journeys and Legendaries start on Thursdays, that means that 3/21 is likely the earliest we will see him.
  • Reyalp
    738 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Super strong?
    You know death mark? You know he probably get that ability?
    Jedi revan is done soon.
    I just hope mods matter again.
    Last time I won an arena match and didn't have mods on bastila and only 4 on kenobi.
    What's the point in mods if you only need revan lead + buffs?
    Get your stuff straight CG

What if they focus on DR. He will be knocked out before even using it. Plus he won't have the same support characters such as gmy or Jolee.

But hopefully you are correct. I love Kotor but I'm kinda done with this Revan meta atm. Hopefully Darth revan has good synergy

They always make new OP ways. Remember chaze is OP? They just healed, taunted, countered and did some dmg.
    Now we have revan, doing everything and providing huge stat increases.
    Also HK gets reworked. He want be happy if you attack his master. D bastila also increases sith leaders armor. It already works wonder for traya.

It'll be something similar to Droideka with a HMF twist. Darth Revan cannot be targeted while HK is active. HK will have 'while Revan is at full health, HK is immune to dmg'

That would help bring aoe moves back in to play
  • Jenjhys
    272 posts Member

The problem is not to beat revan team, but every revan team will beat other team so easy and fast, so other team cannot stay in high rank without revan in arena...
  • I mean if you want a paper-rock-scissors meta, they could have Darth Revan have leadership/unique as simple as:

"Villain: While Darth is in the leadership position, enemy Jedi cannot gain buffs."

He could have a little synergy with the Triumverate and then we'd be back to paper rock scissors, where DR crushes JKR , who beats Rebels/GG, and GG/Rebels beat DR.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator

Some examples of mechanics that would work and exist already, just need the right mix to be balanced for defense. Most could be passive, so defense should be ok

- baze TM gain when opponent gains buffs.
    - dispell then deal damage on basic
    - no assist, or severely reduced damage on an assist.

Those alone break up the current meta by returning jedi to the pre revan/bastilla days of hitting like wet noodles. Once that happens, maybe deathmark or other permanent death solution could be added to ice the cake, but may not be totally necessary to keep them at some level of viability
  • Globuhl
    751 posts Member
    I (wishfully) think CG doesn’t want to reiterate the same mistake they did with Revan. They may try to build a character that is not a hard counter to Revan and just replaces him as the new juggernaut but a valid counter that balances Revan out as perfectly as possible. If we could have a balanced dark vs light fight in Arena with both Revans leading the charge that would be so cool.

But yeah... Wishful thinking.
  • I think the reason we haven't heard anything is really simple; they won't tell us until it's a week out, and we aren't a week out yet.
  • StarSon
    7432 posts Member
    I mean if you want a paper-rock-scissors meta, they could have Darth Revan have leadership/unique as simple as:

"Villain: While Darth is in the leadership position, enemy Jedi cannot gain buffs."

He could have a little synergy with the Triumverate and then we'd be back to paper rock scissors, where DR crushes JKR , who beats Rebels/GG, and GG/Rebels beat DR.

This would be preferable over what we have now. It's just a sea of Revans. Even with the original dodge meta there were multiple team comps and two different leader options.
  • Wondering what the ideal DR team would be.
    Dr + Badstilla for sure. Guessing HK as well. But what about the other 3?

I agree nothing can hold on D, but if Darth Revan isn't a hard counter to Revan why would people switch up teams.

I like what you are thinking. B2 is a great dispeller but the buff immunity gets cleansed to quick which almost makes it useless. I think something similar to JTR non clensable heal immunity special would be interesting. Maybe like a non clensable buff immunity. Of course it would be single Target only.

I suspect Darth Reven will do exactly that: deathmark, more undispellable buff immunity, and pair him with fast Sion and Nihilus (debuffs) and the others that the “leaked” pick showed. Think Vader, debuffs refresh on cleaning or he inflicts oppsite, if they exist
  • StarSon
    7432 posts Member
    Wondering what the ideal DR team would be.

Other 2? Possibly DR BSF HK Traya Sion/DN. But really, unless there's some special interaction between BSF and DR, or DR is super squishy, it'll be DR HK Tri.
  • StarSon wrote: »
    Wondering what the ideal DR team would be.

Other 2? Possibly DR BSF HK Traya Sion/DN. But really, unless there's some special interaction between BSF and DR, or DR is super squishy, it'll be DR HK Tri.

Math was off. Ty!
  • KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    I don’t think arena meta is the issue/delay. If anything raid testing loops would be more of a concern. But there are no better testers then the community itself .
    The community can find a purpose for anyone, even mob enforcer if it would help.

Yeah but the toons required for JKR had 2 nodes each, while the toons we assume we will need for Darth Revan only have a single node, so it kind of balances out.

Special: Remove all buffs from all enemies. For each buff removed, that enemy loses 10% turn meter and all sith gain 5% max health and health steal until the end of the encounter. Can’t be evaded.

Leader: At the start of the battle, Old republic and sith gain 5% Max health, defense, critical avoidance and 20% potency for each sith/old republic ally. Whenever an old republic ally takes damage, they gain 50% defense (stacking) until the end of their next turn. Whenever a sith ally takes damage, they deal half that damage back as true damage to their attacker (ignores protection if that enemy was attacking out of turn). Enemies attacking out of turn have -50% offense against sith and old republic allies. Old republic allies gain 40% potency for 2 turns (stacking) whenever an enemy resists their debuff, and sith gain 20% offense until their next attack (stacking).

Unique: All healing is reduced by 25% (doubles for enemies and no character can be revived if Darth Revan is in the lead slot).
  • I personally think they are having a hard time making him sith meta without including the triumphant
  • fseixas
    33 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Have you ever considered that Darth Revan could be used under Revan lead, or vice versa? I mean, he will have old republic tag, and bonus will apply. He will probably replace GMY in Revan team.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    fseixas wrote: »
    Have you ever considered that Darth Revan could be used under Revan lead, or vice versa? I mean, he will have old republic tag, and bonus will apply. He will probably replace GMY in Revan team.

as long as he could also lead a sith team to create at least rock and paper, I dont feel like many would care.

Almost all complaints are not about Revan being meta, just that he is 88% of the meta report.