Shardchat destroys fun

Replies

• Montanz wrote: »
    Just be friendly with everyone and don’t step on toes we all want 500 crystals so we can keep up without spending money, long live shard chat.

The thing that I think a lot of people fail to realize is this isn’t true for a lot of people. A lot of people don’t view arena as simply their crystal income. They like to actually play a game and compete with people. I personally had so much more fun back in the good ole days when Payouts were exciting and I was battling for spots. Even though my crystal income was so much less. Shard chats have made arena feel like a mundane job instead of a game.

Couldn't agree more. Shard chats destroy any competitiveness and to be honest its quite annoying seeing teams that don't belong in the top 20 because they are being protected by their shard mates.
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    posts like these make me sick, players owning up to frauding the system and working around the clock for equal payouts.. remarkable how the devs over look this system.

A real hats off applause to you all who reject the chat thing and earn your rank, you’re the real winners.

Lol. Hilarious response.

First off, your username is clearly appropriately chosen.

Secondly, people cooperating to make sure we don't accidentally (or intentionally) waste crystals is hardly "frauding the system". It's communicating (which can be done even in-game - and has been made easier by the developers themselves) to maximize rewards....for everyone.

Your "applause" for people who ignore their shard mates, stomp on other people's payouts unnecessarily and create stress in game that is supposed to be fun is quite amusing. You must be loads of fun at parties.

Oh the puns, you’re a funny guy, guess your username describes how dry and how incredibly confused you are about the arena and its main function.

Yes, i would quite happily sit at rank 1, yes i’d cause stress to players like you, and yes it would be fun for me because that’s how an arena works funny enough, it’s meant to be a fight for number one not communicate with your shard fellows and share rewards lol. That is called exploiting the game because you can all fondel when you recieve the payout another flaw by the devs.

If you don’t agree with me on the arena( which is what it is, you know a fight to win) may i suggest you go play minecraft with all your buddy buddy friends in your shard chat, then you can all win together without crying if some one comes along to ruin your “fun”.
  • Easybee
    140 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    Cooperating in the game mode is not illegal, immoral and doesn't "break" the game - it simply allows players to save crystals they would otherwise waste.

I enjoy the game more, when I battle up to #1 (or #2...or #3, depending on whose turn it is to finish where), and can relax for the 10-20 minutes right before payout knowing I won't get sniped. To me, that is much more fun, then dumping crystals into refresh to battle the same people, every single day for 3 years straight - especially when there is virtually no skill in beating a bad AI.

This is exactly the attitude I am talking about. It is rooted in the privilege you enjoy (being in a shard chat, perhaps being able to spend a ton on the game), and not actually enjoying the sport of it.

What you are saying in essence is this:

"I enjoy being on top. Spending effort or treasure for that win reduces my joy. Others trying to interfere with my winning cost me time and money and reduce my enjoyment. I found a group of like-minded people who I cooperate with to prevent others from costing me time and treasure by teaming up to punish those that try."

That's not sporting, it's not a game. It's called an oligarchy, and it's only fun as long as you are able to keep the boot firmly pressed on the plebs beneath you. For everyone else (excluding those that have given up hope) it just sucks. Not because
    of loosing, but because you *know* the game is rigged against you.

My points are this:
    3. Shard chats suck for everyone excluded, and their complaints are valid.
    2. Shard chats are a rational product of a broken system, because if you don't exploit the ability to set up a gang, some will do so against you.
    2. The system is broken, fair play is of no interest to the devs, and their failure to uphold it is a moral abdication.

Everyone arguing for the validity of shard chats, let alone that their are good, should take a long, hard, honest look at their motivations. It's not at all about playing a game. It is about maintaining your privileged position at the expense of those that would *actually* like to play a game.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Lulz @ frauding and exploiting. That's hysterical.

I mean, you can do what you want. Just don't complain when the shard chat bounces you into the stratosphere.

In fact, by all means keep on doing it. Someone in the shard chat has to use you as a stepping stone. It's easier to hit an outsider than it is a shardmate.

Edit - is someone cutting onions? I see a lot of crying going on.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • John_Matrix1985
    2276 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    So people are arguing for spending an extra 200 crystals a day on battles in a game that already charges hundreds of dollars for a particular character.

All these bravado people that have just unlocked Revan will go either 2 ways. Join the crew or drop back to mid ranks where they came from. A month of spending 1000 crystals to win 500 will bear its toll.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    So people are arguing for spending an extra 200 crystals a day on battles in a game that already charges hundreds of dollars for a particular character.

All these bravado people that have just unlocked Revan will go either 2 ways. Join the crew or drop back to mid ranks where they came from. A month of spending 1000 crystals to win 500 will bear its toll.

And that's the point they fail to see.

They were in a weak guild when Traya came out and were still trying to compete with CLS and jtr. Then they got Traya and started climbing out of the dregs. Then they missed Revan the first time around and were relegated back to the hundreds. Now they have Revan and feel like they're entitled to get a top spot when others who ponied up to stay current have held those spots forever while they were on meta vacation. Miss me with all that. You aren't entitled to diddly squat.

Edit - congrats on your "earned" rank of 98. You sure showed those nasty shard chat people!
  • Lagandary
    94 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    My thoughts on shard chats: They are more good than bad (This doesn’t mean I think they should be a part of the game). Firstly, a majority of shard chats aren’t mafias and are rather willing to cooperate even if you aren’t in the chat. I do agree that they take a lot of the competitiveness out of arena and that is something I definitely don’t like. Hopefully in the future GA will be a bit more balanced and take on the competitive role in the game. Now to mafia shard chats. If you aren’t one who is okay with cooperating, which isn’t the intention of SA, they are a problem. However, there are very few mafia shard chats (they are just the only ones we hear about). Even so many people complaining about mafia chats (not targeting OP) are taking the situation out of context. I don’t think shard chats should be a thing since they take the competitive aspect out of a ranked mode, but they aren’t all that bad.
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    @Nikoms565 I have an idea. Make a list of all the salty players in here and when the next hard meta comes up, ping every one of them and ask them how their arena rank is going and if they have the current meta.

I'll bet you'll see a lot of "retirements".
  • Nikoms565 wrote: »
    What most people are suggesting is that most shard chats DON'T DO THAT. Why is this so difficult for people to understand?
    If I may jump in at this point, while reading through this thread I can see some significant misunderstanding that cause people to argue around the same points again and again in circles. I think most people here got it that the majority of the existing shard chats are animated by the best intentions. But the point some people have made is not denying that, it's only showing the other side of the coin: it doesn't matter if it's only a minority, fact is that some shard chats exist who are run by people who can be called bullies by definition. And the point I see is this: just the fact that the system allows such kind of bullies to destroy other peoples' fun in game, is something that should be on the developer's list of things that need a long-term improvement.
    I can tell that I know both sides of the coin to a certain point. I know the positive side of being in a shard chat, but one of my guild mates has to deal with a group of whales who specifically declared to him, that they won't allow any f2p player inside the top 10 because they are "protecting their investments". They just chain lock him as soon as he tries to get close. That is ridiculous, I suggested that he should screenshot the ingame chat and send it to the support, because such a behaviour just has to be against the terms of the game.
    Pile wrote: »
    Guys, the point is your perception of chats is based on the particular one in your shard. If it's run by a bunch of punks your perception of the chats will be negative. If it's run with the intent of getting all competitive players theirs with little stress then they're great. They're all different and there in lies the issue. Perhaps those in shards where the chat is a mafia the devs allow moving to another shard.
    This could be a good solution for at least such extreme examples as stated above.
  • mvmss
    213 posts Member
    Montanz wrote: »
    Just be friendly with everyone and don’t step on toes we all want 500 crystals so we can keep up without spending money, long live shard chat.

The thing that I think a lot of people fail to realize is this isn’t true for a lot of people. A lot of people don’t view arena as simply their crystal income. They like to actually play a game and compete with people. I personally had so much more fun back in the good ole days when Payouts were exciting and I was battling for spots. Even though my crystal income was so much less. Shard chats have made arena feel like a mundane job instead of a game.

Couldn't agree more. Shard chats destroy any competitiveness and to be honest its quite annoying seeing teams that don't belong in the top 20 because they are being protected by their shard mates.

I can assure you this hardly happens on my shard. Everyone has to pull their own weight. If you don't get to the top often - besides not hitting you on your PO, nobody will do anything for you in that regard -, you will be kicked out, due to overcrowding.

At the same time, there are people who don't want to be on the shard chat, but were polite/smart to ask who to avoid hitting during their own PO. Everyone on the shard chat knows who they are and they are not hit while climbing, so it's like they belong to the shard chat, without actually being there.

Being on a shard chat doesn't make you immune to being hit either. After our respective PO, everyone is game.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Guys, the point is your perception of chats is based on the particular one in your shard. If it's run by a bunch of punks your perception of the chats will be negative. If it's run with the intent of getting all competitive players theirs with little stress then they're great. They're all different and there in lies the issue. Perhaps those in shards where the chat is a mafia the devs allow moving to another shard.
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    This could be a good solution for at least such extreme examples as stated above.

Unfortunately, at this point the only statements from the dev team we have says that this is not possible.

There are also several issues with shard movements that would need to be worked out, but that is a discussion for another thread.
  • Shard chats could be totally stopped by CG if they had the guts to change their arena payout system. But because they are unwilling to do so they enable arena mofias to rule and kill arena.
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    Those complaining about a shard chat want people to know not to attack them when they have a payout coming up?

hilarious...
  • mvmss
    213 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    CadoaBane wrote: »

Unfortunately, at this point the only statements from the dev team we have says that this is not possible.

There are also several issues with shard movements that would need to be worked out, but that is a discussion for another thread.

"Um problema que não tem solução, solucionado está" - great wisdom I learned from a former boss. It translates more or less Yoda style into "a problem with no solution, solved it is".

Shard chats are a reality. One may accept or not how they operate, but the inexorable truth is they will keep existing and top players will keep on cooperating. Swimming with or against the flow is up to everyone to decide, since nobody is forcing anyone to do anything they don't want.

Nikoms565 wrote: »
    posts like these make me sick, players owning up to frauding the system and working around the clock for equal payouts.. remarkable how the devs over look this system.

A real hats off applause to you all who reject the chat thing and earn your rank, you’re the real winners.

Lol. Hilarious response.

First off, your username is clearly appropriately chosen.

Secondly, people cooperating to make sure we don't accidentally (or intentionally) waste crystals is hardly "frauding the system". It's communicating (which can be done even in-game - and has been made easier by the developers themselves) to maximize rewards....for everyone.

Your "applause" for people who ignore their shard mates, stomp on other people's payouts unnecessarily and create stress in game that is supposed to be fun is quite amusing. You must be loads of fun at parties.

Oh the puns, you’re a funny guy, guess your username describes how dry and how incredibly confused you are about the arena and its main function.

Yes, i would quite happily sit at rank 1, yes i’d cause stress to players like you, and yes it would be fun for me because that’s how an arena works funny enough, it’s meant to be a fight for number one not communicate with your shard fellows and share rewards lol. That is called exploiting the game because you can all fondel when you recieve the payout another flaw by the devs.

If you don’t agree with me on the arena( which is what it is, you know a fight to win) may i suggest you go play minecraft with all your buddy buddy friends in your shard chat, then you can all win together without crying if some one comes along to ruin your “fun”.

I've heard of a person who does thay, all day, on another shard. Complete waste of time and resources. Probably some bored rich kid, with nothing to do, filling EA's pockets.

You don't have to be a **** and force your way into sustaining #1 all day long, when you really just need it at your payout. Alas, anyone willing to choose to follow this path will pay a hefty price for it.
  • Javin37 wrote: »
    Those complaining about a shard chat want people to know not to attack them when they have a payout coming up?

hilarious...

No, of course not. But asking about my payout time and then team up and sniping me down just to punish me though it’s not their payout time is quite a di** move, isn’t it?
  • mvmss
    213 posts Member
    Noxfire27 wrote: »
    Javin37 wrote: »

hilarious...

No, of course not. But asking about my payout time and then team up and sniping me down just to punish me though it’s not their payout time is quite a di** move, isn’t it?

Someone from your shard, who belongs to the shard chat, has replied here. Look it up and work things out.
  • pac0naut wrote: »

They were in a weak guild when Traya came out and were still trying to compete with CLS and jtr. Then they got Traya and started climbing out of the dregs. Then they missed Revan the first time around and were relegated back to the hundreds. Now they have Revan and feel like they're entitled to get a top spot when others who ponied up to stay current have held those spots forever while they were on meta vacation. Miss me with all that. You aren't entitled to diddly squat.

Edit - congrats on your "earned" rank of 98. You sure showed those nasty shard chat people!

You say nobody is entitled to something. Especially when you are a f2p player. „How dare a f2p player gets as competitive as I am, the big spender“. And in the same paragraph you tell us that the whales are entitled to the top ranks and thats cool. Well, kind of a hypocrite, aren’t you?
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member

hilarious...

Would you have preferred they not have based on knowing your payout was coming up?

If yes..that is what a shard chat is.

As for what kind of move it was...yes possibly....but did you step on that person's toes on your way up? Did someone else have a payout that you beat them out of?

People, whether on a chat or not, will begin to recognize each other and keep tabs on who is helpful to them and who isn't.

• mvmss wrote: »

hilarious...

Someone from your shard, who belongs to the shard chat, has replied here. Look it up and work things out.

Thanks for the info.
  • Javin37 wrote: »

hilarious...

Would you have preferred they not have based on knowing your payout was coming up?

If yes..that is what a shard chat is.

As for what kind of move it was...yes possibly....but did you step on that person's toes on your way up? Did someone else have a payout that you beat them out of?

People, whether on a chat or not, will begin to recognize each other and keep tabs on who is helpful to them and who isn't.

I think you don’t get my point: if you snipe me before my payout without bad intentions and without pickinh me, I am fine with that. The problem is when people start team up and sniping you down just because you don’t join the shard vhat and they believe they are „entitled“ to the top rank
  • Noxfire27 wrote: »

hilarious...

Not joining them when they asked politely and creating a thread about it simply to rant when things don't go your way?
    Look who's the selfish one here.

• Niemsco wrote: »
    Ah this is a fun read. Obviously it must be me, the big bad whale that set you off on this tantrum. Well let me give a little context to the story. Nox you have been doing what I would deem as the most egregious act in the game, knocking people out of their payout, costing them crystals after your payout is over! When you knocked me out of first today during my payout, I messaged you asking what your payout was. Obviously I realized we had the same payout so it was game on, I knocked you back. Then you tried reclaiming said spot and failed.

In the meantime two of the guys who had you in sight, who’s payouts are after ours and who you knocked back during their payout earlier in the week, decided to take some revenge on you and knock you back. There’s no shard collaboration going on here to make your life miserable, you are doing that on your own. So let’s put on the big boy pants now and own up.

Instead of telling me this you just asked about my payout time without context. I even asked about yours but you just ended the conversation. And afterwards you declined a ingame conversation. And you tell ME to be an adult? Come on, I never (!) did attack someone on purpose at their payout time. Why should I and how should I know (besides being in an shard chat)? You could have just told me your problem, maybe tell me your payout time and I would be fine with that, maybe even apologize and try not to do it in future when not necessary. But no, you just aksed my payout time and punished me without context. So maybe write me ingame, don’t want a „war“, just want to play the game and have fun for all of us
  • You know what I 100% agree with the original post. Shard chats do indeed destroy the game. I have many examples of this in my own Shard. A really terrible Nightsisters Team getting 1st Place, then the next a unmodded Traya Team. Protected by walls of great Traya’s. Hence why i whales on Revan the first time. Get better right? Well not in my Shard. Said Nightsisters Team still claims top spot and I have obliterated it before with both Revan and Palpatine. Now the people that did get Revan the first time have created a wall in my Arena to protect these guys while they gear up their own Revans. This is a 4 year Shard as well. I agree, Shard chats must go! If we can be paired against people in Grand Arena, why not the actual Arena? I wake up back to 70th and can’t get any higher now than 26. And yes I have god mods on my Revan! It’s ridiculous! Oh and furthermore I’m not allowed in my Shard Chat. Gee I wonder why? 10 of the top 20 are with the same guild or alliance! Figures right?
  • Noxfire27 wrote: »
    pac0naut wrote: »

You say nobody is entitled to something. Especially when you are a f2p player. „How dare a f2p player gets as competitive as I am, the big spender“. And in the same paragraph you tell us that the whales are entitled to the top ranks and thats cool. Well, kind of a hypocrite, aren’t you?

wait a second he never said anything about whales or f2p those are assumptions that you are making. If you had been playing the game a long time or focused on the right teams then you could have been on the traya meta and same thing with the revan meta. I am sure you made some poor investments at some point when you could have been making a better one. With this beginning said hindsight is 20/20.
    @Noxfire27
  • Veserion1 wrote: »

hilarious...

Not joining them when they asked politely and creating a thread about it simply to rant when things don't go your way?

could not have said it better myself ;)
  • Veserion1 wrote: »

hilarious...

could not have said it better myself ;)

As I already stated I don’t like shardchats because I consider it cheating. And it’s a mafia thing when you tell me I have to join otherwise I am screwed. Of course I don’t want to attack outside of my payout time and screw someones payout, tell me that and I will consider it in the future. But don’t force me to join something I don’t want. It’s that easy.
  • so you also have to remember that people are going to hit not shard members first over shard members. I know when I am climbing I am going to hit people I do not know over people I do. So they may not "punishing" you, you may just be getting in the way of a saturated payout time
  • Also looking at your title for the thread it says shardchats destroys fun. I don't know about you but getting more than like 200-500 crystals is way more fun than getting 75-100 from your pay out so I may looking at how you feel about cheating again. Because to me it sounds like good business.
  • My two cents likely the ones in a shard chat for many years likely have earned their stripes and are pretty competitive and likely heavily invested in the game with time, money, or a combination of both.

To use a shard shuffle to appease a few players would take the friends you met in your shard chat and disolve. Not sure how that is a positive bonding experience.

Everything in the world can be abused by someone. I don’t think the shard chat mafia as you refer to it is running rampant in majority of shards. I suggest kicking their butt until they let you in or accept the invite the first time. Lol
This discussion has been closed.