Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• GodlikeNay wrote: »
    Hoping they have fixed the broken matchmaking that includes Ship GP in the calculations for non-ship events! We'll know for sure in 2 hours, but I'm not holding my breath since they haven't announced the change yet. I'm probably going to get matched up with several people that have 30% more squad GP than I do again.

Well, so much for that. Yet again, I'm facing a teams with 100-200k more in Squad Power due to my strong ships...which aren't even given one area in this GA...Thanks CG for punishing those that have useful ships built out.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Has anyone ever get matched with a guildmate? That just happened to me. Good to know it's a possibility.
  • make the game great again by finding a better way to make players with "similar rosters" having fun encounters.
  • Got a much easier grouping than the original ga, so I guess I'm cool with another ga win, but what about them modified rewards?
  • Stokat
    823 posts Member
    No_Try wrote: »
    Has anyone ever get matched with a guildmate? That just happened to me. Good to know it's a possibility.

Nope but that would be really fun though! My groups looks even, same as the last two GA events. Two guys are a bit stronger but should be beatable and one guy will have a hard time due to a weaker roster but the rest are evenly matched.
  • No_Try
    4051 posts Member
    Stokat wrote: »
    No_Try wrote: »

Nope but that would be really fun though! My groups looks even, same as the last two GA events. Two guys are a bit stronger but should be beatable and one guy will have a hard time due to a weaker roster but the rest are evenly matched.

Yeah, no wonder this is the case, our stars aligned.
    ww0ojps8zuyc.png

Though we are on the same league, we didn't get matched yet. We either need to both win or lose for it to happen xD.
  • evoluza wrote: »
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    Tautas wrote: »
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    Cancelling / rescheduling wasn't the best solution in my opinion. Of course people should not be punished for missing out on a forum post and a small, accidental time window. But on the other hand, very active players who pay attention to such things should be rewarded for their determination. If someone had a good match-making this time, next time on the rescheduled one it could be totally different, so fairness is always a point of view. Imho it would have been good to not cancel the event, but therefore give those who were not able to participate 8th place rewards for compensation.

Ya, that's the saying of player who joined that bug. If you would be player that not joined that bug and write this - it would be ok, but we all know that's not the case, so all your text is just......

It is the same as for me saying, - they should given 1st place to all who not able to join because of bug and to those who joined it - they should given the place they won in GA themselves.

Thanks for canceling this bug.
    You are assuming a lot while being completely wrong. If I had missed out, my opinion would not be different. I would only be angry at myself and be happy for getting at least anything, and for doing nothing 8th place rewards are fine. It's the same thing as with other parts of the game, when you time your battles before your arena po and log in for every bonus energy refresh, you are ahead of those who don't / can't / want for whatever personal reasons.

Telling others that they are wrong and being wrong yourself...
    I wouldn't take 8th place rewards, because the registering was mid night for me and I couldn't log in.
    Bonus energy and all that stuff also doesn't drop mid night. Your Argumentation is completely off. But it doesn't matter. They already canceled the previous one and did the right thing.
    First, bonus energy can be that late if someone has changed their po, which changes the other times as well. Second, registration time was also that late for me, but I knew it many hours before and either it's worth a late login for someone or not. Funny how you feel the need to prove anything. Even funnier how people in general tend to rather refrain from getting free stuff instead of nothing, just to keep sure others won't get more than themselves. :| Because when you think about it, the end result would have been more rewards for everyone. The simple delay that happened now means, no additional rewards for noone, so at least people like you can be happy, I guess.
  • Fix your stupid game.
    game restarted 2 seconds after entering a match. it happens in arena matches, in TW matches, in TB matches and now in Grand Arena ones.
  • Xhedao
    209 posts Member
    Hardest missmatch ever for me: Difference due to ships 250k. My opponent has due to the differecene 13% more GP in his chars and this resembles 3 to 4 months of gameplay.

An error of 13% is just to high for your algorithm @CG
    And nope, it is not fun. Despite the fact that I am always first or second after three battles...
  • Prosser
    278 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    200k higher opponent for me this time, equals 25% more gp at my current power. Twice the g12 and twice the Zetas, this is soooo much fun...
  • nottenst
    682 posts Member
    The ship GP being included royally messed up my match this time. His characters GP is 1,611k while mine is 1,463k. Not as big a difference as some of the folk here, but still enough. If the statistics are so easy to see, why can't the matchups be made properly?
  • Literally every person in my guild (49 members) has complained about the matchups. We love the concept, but it's really just making us all angry because the matchups are horrendous and always stacked towards our opponents. I'm not sure what the algorithms are for matchups, but they are definitely broken and have been since the start. They promised us matchups with players that have similar squads, but that isn't even CLOSE to what I've face in every single arena. The only times I've won a battle is when my opponent doesn't show up or doesn't place enough on defense. Even at that I think I only have about 3 wins total. It's really frustrating and NOT fun at all.
  • keknoby
    93 posts Member
    they dont say similar squads, they talked about "matchups between players with similar collections" (or similar rosters)
    but the allaround GP score is not representative and generate a lot of mismatches
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Oh joy! My new GA opponent who has 1.2 mill squad GP to my 900k has set a solid gold wall on defense, festooned with more little stars than I have on my entire roster.

And the best part is that he still has plenty of g12 and zeta'd toons remaining to use on offense.

Isn't this fun!!! :p
  • I have 7 gold gear, and u matched me with someone with 30 gold gear. He has same gp as me, so grand is broken, or he's cheating. It's a personal form of loading ur guild with padawans to throw twars matchmaking.
    Grand matchmaking appears to be only exactly matching gp, not intrinsic power.
    I don't have CLS or c3po, but u match me with someone who can flogg me without even using them.
    Everyone who loves grand is someone exploiting loopholes. My best is fourth place, usually because 1/3 opponents doesn't set def. A game must be fun, or it's a burden.
  • An arena where u can battle 1squad to 1squad, within the guild, by choice would be far more productive, and allow ppl to practice, being trained by the guild.
    Few happy customers forced to grand arena for continual loss.
    If u loose, u should be matched in a lower power bracket next set of grand arenas. Being matched to lowest in group still results in a bad loss.
    I will carefully check my matchup before setting def, and if it's a mismatch, I won't set def, to not allow enemy credits for killing me. I should have an even chance at beating 6/6 opponents. If not, I forfeit grand.
    CG would be wise to listen to many ppl saying this part of game is not fun.
    Stress the words GAME and FUN.
  • If I change guilds before the event ends, will I lose GA progress like with TB, Tw, n raids???
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    I seriously doubt it. GA is all about individual accounts. Guilds are irrelevant.
  • Let us choose which characters we want to use in GA. Then we don’t get penalized for dead weight. Don’t count ship GP when there are no ships involved in the battles.

These changes will solve 90% of matchup problems, and they seem like easy fixes.
  • Count me in on the camp who gets frustrated when ship GP is part of matchmaking in a GA without fleet sectors.

But in a BROADER sense, why are those of us who have focused on fleet regularly getting punished for that choice when it comes to Grand Arena? You never see a match that has no GROUND sectors. Why screw those of us that love ships?

If systematic exclusion of fleet sectors is to continue, at least throw a bone to those of us who have made an investment in this part of the game -- maybe an air strike component (ala Territory War or the TW Geo buffs) that scales in power based on your average fleet ranking over the past month on the GA's without a fleet sector.

That would be a fun way to represent/reward those players who've committed a large focus on ships without tinkering on the matchmaking algorithm itself. It's been a long time since my coding days, but the fact that these features have already been developed suggest that porting it to GA wouldn't be *that* hard.
  • GodlikeNay wrote: »
    Hoping they have fixed the broken matchmaking that includes Ship GP in the calculations for non-ship events! We'll know for sure in 2 hours, but I'm not holding my breath since they haven't announced the change yet. I'm probably going to get matched up with several people that have 30% more squad GP than I do again.

Same. I've focused heavily on ships so my gp is pretty close to an even split (maybe 55/45 toon/ship). The guy I'm facing has the same total gp as me but way more weighted towards toons (70/30). So I already know the outcome barring critical player error on their part.

Since we can already see toon/ship gp metrics it really should use the toon gp stat for toon only GAs. Do a weighted calculation for toon & ship mixed GAs based on how many territories use each (so 75% toon gp, 25% ship gp to calculate matchmaking gp for GAs where 3/4 territories are toons and 1/4 territories are ships).

If such a weighted calculation is technically impossible to program then GA should be made toon only to eliminate ship gp from calculation.
  • Xhedao
    209 posts Member
    I also have heavily invevsted in ships and have almost every battle the lower GP in chars. However, I almost win every battle, even if there are just ground platoons. 50/50 first or second place after the three battles.
    Perhaps the reason is, that I have now for almost every team a counter. Most of the rounds every sector of the avaiable 8 is cleared and just the qualities of the battles are deciding the outcome of the matchups.
    However, I do not like the actual system, as it is a lot of more work and thinking. Yeah, I a amlazy :D
  • Current GA: I cleared my side, they cleared theirs. How can our scores not match?
  • Current GA: I cleared my side, they cleared theirs. How can our scores not match?
    Efficiency. You get a variable number of banners per attack depending on circumstances. You get extra banners for ending the battle with characters with full health and more if they had full protection. You also can lose out on potential banners if one of your characters die before the battle is over. If you have less banners than your opponent, it is because they were more efficient in their attacks.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Droideka wrote: »
    Current GA: I cleared my side, they cleared theirs. How can our scores not match?
    Efficiency. You get a variable number of banners per attack depending on circumstances. You get extra banners for ending the battle with characters with full health and more if they had full protection. You also can lose out on potential banners if one of your characters die before the battle is over. If you have less banners than your opponent, it is because they were more efficient in their attacks.

So basically it's like betting the point spread, your team won but you lost because of the point spread. Ok tks.
  • I too had an encounter with an opponent that had a GP of 150k more than me (in characters). I lost by 10 banners and miss out on some decent stuff. On another note, my ship rank is top 2 every day where my opponent is near 50. I wish matchmaking was better, but I am doing better in the end.
  • synergy_inc
    14 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Good news folks!:
    Grand Arena Matchmaking Improvements: Character-only Grand Arena matchmaking is no longer impacted by Ships GP

From the update announcement:
    https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/197857/version-update-3-13-quality-of-life#latest
  • About time. This ought to be interesting. :)