Grand Arena: no

Replies

• TVF
    36527 posts Member
    DuneFlint wrote: »
    jkray622 wrote: »
    DuneFlint wrote: »
    Well, what it comes down to is 50% of the players are going to lose, so 49% of the players will hate this grand arena.

A full Grand Arena will be 8 players in 3 rounds.

So:
    12.5% of players will go 3-0.
    37.5% of players will go 2-1.
    37.5% of players will go 1-2.
    12.5% of players will go 0-3.

Half of players will win more than they lose, and half will lose more than they win.

Sure, but from what I've read everyone is complaing about THIS grand arena, not the one where you have 8 players and matchup by record after the first match.

Most people who are complaining don't even seem to know that this GA is different.
    I need a new message here. https://discord.gg/AmStGTH
  • I actually think I was matched up really well in terms of GP and Zeta count, ish. Kinda. In my case went ALL IN on his BH, he had every single one Zeta'd and G12. I was a little jelly, TBH

And thats it... he wasted is entire weak roster attacking, losing upwards of 8 times... mean while I bulldozed BH 1 with Zader and took two teams to take BH team 2 and then I hit auto to finish my other 4 battles losing no one, my score was sweet.

In this case, matching was numerically right, but this dude would need 6 months to make his roster TW or GA friendly.

TL;DR: This is gonna be just like TW, you'll get matched up and bulldoze, or lose outright, and maybe get lucky to get a decent match-up now and again.
    #AcolyteShootsTwice
  • TVF wrote: »
    I don't understand.

The image showed someone not activating toons, presumably to avoid increasing GP for more favorable GA matchmaking. I said doing so makes no difference.

Not sure where the joke supposedly is.

The funny part to me was that you implied that not activating a toon is a player error while making a point about it making no difference.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    I implied no such thing.
    I implied no such thing.
    How else am i supposed to interpret this comment then?
    TVF wrote: »
    Failing to active four toons makes a difference of like 3k GP. Irrelevant.

• TVF
    36527 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    They did not activate. On purpose. To keep GP down. Which is irrelevant to matchmaking. Because activating a toon gives you like 500 GP.

In this case fail to do something = did not do. Not an error.

Anyway I'm sure this is riveting stuff to read so it's my last post on the matter.
  • but funny choice of words though right?
  • DuneFlint wrote: »
    Sure, but from what I've read everyone is complaing about THIS grand arena, not the one where you have 8 players and matchup by record after the first match.

Yes, they are. And it's a ridiculous complaint given that this was just a preview so we would see how the gameplay works. It's like complaining about the clothes people wear to a Wedding Rehearsal, saying that those clothes will ruin the actual wedding.

Future GAs won't disperse prizes based on a single match - so complaining about the matching here is ridiculous. In the future we will be matched with 7 other players concurrently, so everyone is likely to have a mixed pool of "focused" and "fluffy" rosters.

Even if the first match is against a whale with a crazy focused roster, the initial loss could set a player up to pull a 2-1 record and get solid rewards.
  • Hybridplug
    216 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    GA is very fun so far. Forces you to think more strategically than usual to balance out your available defense and offense.
  • I predict this gameplay will slow down come people complete the quests unless the rewards are improved.
  • TVF
    36527 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    Range1974 wrote: »
    I predict this gameplay will slow down come people complete the quests unless the rewards are improved.

These aren't the typical rewards. Introductory event only.
    Post edited by TVF on
  • used to be able to throw mods on low toons to clear mod storage space. Now our choices are.... sell off mods you might not want to, leave new mods in your inbox and trigger your ocd, or get an unfair GA matchup because you modded toons just to clear storage space. why is there a limit on mod inventory?! Who cares if we store an excessive amount of mods? Moral of the story, raise or get rid of mod storage limits!
  • Not super balanced when my strongest teams on defense get destroyed yet my opponent still had good enough squads to stop my attacks like a brick wall. It's not a matter of strategy. I might have way more characters unlocked and somewhat geared up but my opponent clearly has less characters geared higher and stomps me. Not fun.
  • I like the match making. Seems to be fairest way possible. If you don't like the mode then just don't play it.
  • Those complaining the game mode is no fun, the rewards suck, or it’s too much time, it’s simple... don’t join or “zero tap” and collect the minimum rewards. No one is forcing you to join / play. It’s really that simple.

I am enjoying the potential of grand arena and enjoy TW. Others like PvE more which is fine. Choose / do what suits your play style and time. You have a choice.
  • 2smooth wrote: »
    Naz83 wrote: »
    I have the exact same problem as you.. I am not playing since start, but long enough to have all the old, and in the past useable characters 7*, and on decent gear. I have 3,4 MGP, and now i am matched up twice with the same GP player, but he has far more G12 characters with 270+ speed Revan team which i cannot beat. You are clearly punishing old players with this matchmaking system, and non the less f2p players (as am i) are f-d. For me it was the first (not counting the bug start of this play mode), and the last time i joind in to this. Its just too frustrating..
    Ur obviously not a arena player to be impressed by 270 speed on a 4 mil arena account have yodas in my shard with 268 and way farm below ur gp haven’t even been on 85 for 2 months u been playing for 3 years and can’t match that speed?

To further reinforce 2smooth's point, I've been playing for just under a year (started just before last Christmas) and am at less than 2mil GP. My revan is 303 speed, with two others on my arena team 270+. At 3.4mil you should have the mod roster to deal with that.

That's not an issue of whale vs not.

Don’t be ridiculous - mod farming is so completely rng based that u could farm for 3 years without getting enough mods to form a decently fast set.
  • Dk_rek wrote: »
    Vohbo wrote: »
    I had the complete opposite. My opponent got basically crushed so utterly that it was silly.

I don't understand the point of this game mode. It's not fun, it doesn't give good rewards, and it further burdens us with even more time consumption.

Have you seen the rewards from the prestigious quests? 5 zeta’s & 10 omega’s from ONE quest is good imo..

lol if you can't beat a team,beat an area, win a section telling us about quest rewards we probably will never get...is just rubbing it in...just my opinion

U could if u just dumped crap on defense and saved ur best teams for offense
  • Dk_rek wrote: »
    I had the complete opposite. My opponent got basically crushed so utterly that it was silly.

I don't understand the point of this game mode. It's not fun, it doesn't give good rewards, and it further burdens us with even more time consumption.

Have you seen the rewards from the prestigious quests? 5 zeta’s & 10 omega’s from ONE quest is good imo..

lol if you can't beat a team,beat an area, win a section telling us about quest rewards we probably will never get...is just rubbing it in...just my opinion

U could if u just dumped crap on defense and saved ur best teams for offense

Or maybe their entire roster is crap because they collect instead of doing well...
  • 2smooth wrote: »
    I have the exact same problem as you.. I am not playing since start, but long enough to have all the old, and in the past useable characters 7*, and on decent gear. I have 3,4 MGP, and now i am matched up twice with the same GP player, but he has far more G12 characters with 270+ speed Revan team which i cannot beat. You are clearly punishing old players with this matchmaking system, and non the less f2p players (as am i) are f-d. For me it was the first (not counting the bug start of this play mode), and the last time i joind in to this. Its just too frustrating..
    Ur obviously not a arena player to be impressed by 270 speed on a 4 mil arena account have yodas in my shard with 268 and way farm below ur gp haven’t even been on 85 for 2 months u been playing for 3 years and can’t match that speed?

To further reinforce 2smooth's point, I've been playing for just under a year (started just before last Christmas) and am at less than 2mil GP. My revan is 303 speed, with two others on my arena team 270+. At 3.4mil you should have the mod roster to deal with that.

Don’t be ridiculous - mod farming is so completely rng based that u could farm for 3 years without getting enough mods to form a decently fast set.

I've found a couple nice mods in the store, bought with fleet currency, and credits. The game just celebrated 3rd anniversary, so you really need to farm for 3 more years, before you can make this claim.
  • Only in Marvel Strike Force can a player take advantage of most of his roster. I have 7 squads in blitz mode in Marvel Strike Force that are playable. Considering the grand arena is so focused on the top squads, I just dump all my best toons into defense. I don't even try to attempt offense. Zero online engagement from people. Capital Games has no earthly idea of how to get players to spend more time on the game vs a game like Marvel Strike Force. Grand Arena is a total failure. The 1st two players I went against were just like me. Dump everything into defense and let the timer expire the next day. Wow. Great way to engage players Capital Games.
  • Tilidi
    56 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    And there is a possible workaround: troops deployed in defense get their mods REMOVED.

So priority will switch to attack and victories against superior rosters will become possible
  • Boov
    604 posts Member
    Charvo wrote: »
    Only in Marvel Strike Force can a player take advantage of most of his roster. I have 7 squads in blitz mode in Marvel Strike Force that are playable. Considering the grand arena is so focused on the top squads, I just dump all my best toons into defense. I don't even try to attempt offense. Zero online engagement from people. Capital Games has no earthly idea of how to get players to spend more time on the game vs a game like Marvel Strike Force. Grand Arena is a total failure. The 1st two players I went against were just like me. Dump everything into defense and let the timer expire the next day. Wow. Great way to engage players Capital Games.

*uses a horrible strategy on purpose, blames it on the game for not providing online engagement....
    solid logic my friend, really solid.
  • Liath wrote: »
    Roksteady wrote: »
    Not sure how hard this would be to implement, but I think a two tier assignment system would work.
    1. Divide everyone into sections based on GP similar to how guilds are separated in TW.
    2. Assign opponents based on the top 60 toons (6 teams on defense, 6 teams on offense worth) using the number of geared and zeta'd toons on their roster.

Example: I'm at 3.5 million GP. I have 31 G12 toons and 36 G11 toons and 33 zetas. How hard would it be to come up with an algorithm that would assign me an opponent who has a 3.5 million to 3.75 million GP with between 30-35 G12 toons, 25-35 G11 toons and 30-35 zetas?
    The closer matchmaking comes to perfectly aligning opponents’ rosters, the tighter the battles will be, and maybe the more fun people have even, but the less GA provides any incentive to improve your roster. And if that’s the case, it doesn’t accomplish the underlying goal of any new content in this type of game, which is to make money.

Good point. Desirable rewards for higher GP would need to be the incentive to work on your roster. Having a smart strategy would need to be the incentive to actually win. As I pointed out in the example of my match, if I had placed stronger teams on defense and been smarter on offense, I might have won. That match also got me thinking that I finally need to work on a team to counter the Jedi meta.

I didn't think I would enjoy GA as much as I did since I'm not a huge fan of regular arena, but there were two aspects that stood out. One, I got to face teams that I don't normally face and use parts of my roster that I don't normally use. Two, I didn't have to worry that I might be screwing things up for my guild by attacking when I shouldn't or not using the right team and giving the defending team TM.
  • I rather agree with the OP... both my opponents were greater in GP than me; however neither of them had half as many zetas or g12 toons. I don’t mind winning (more rewards are never a bad thing) but I don’t like having zero competition. My first opponent was bugged so the contest was pointless, and the second guy never attacked me back. I hope this is fixed in the future, or that it is at least remedied by the real Grand Arena (not the exhibition).
    It's PvP. Taking all your toons to 85 does nothing for arena, nothing for TW, and nothing for GA. Get used to it.

If we ever need 15+1 squad for defence, and 15+1 attacking...
  • FolsomTony wrote: »
    2smooth wrote: »

I've found a couple nice mods in the store, bought with fleet currency, and credits. The game just celebrated 3rd anniversary, so you really need to farm for 3 more years, before you can make this claim.

Oh so u found them at 25+ speed already? Unless u count +90 as “decently fast” then yea sure, that’s easy.

And I don’t need to wait 3 years to make that comparison. Just do the math yourself and it figures.
  • Kameleonic wrote: »
    As I, and no doubt countless other people mentioned weeks ago, basing matches on GP is a set-up for failure.

I have an opponent now, I have the same teams, but one 'small' problem: all his/her teams are completely superior. Minimum 10k GP higher, clearly higher gear etc. I used up four teams alone attacking one, the lowest powered, and still can't beat that team, and there are 4 others to beat higher/much higher GP.

Best solution: quit. There's no point stressing myself further.

Hop next time the tables are turned and my opponent is clearly weaker.

The matchmaking is completely broken.

Frankly, those that argue for it do it purely out of self-interest because they’ve followed the “perfect” farming line.

• The matchmaking is completely broken.

Frankly, those that argue for it do it purely out of self-interest because they’ve followed the “perfect” farming line.

The only people that have that opinion are those with a crummy roster. And the only person responsible for that is the guy you see when you look in the mirror.

So stop blaming matchmaking and start working on your roster. Or just don't join GA if you are that unhappy when you see how much better other people have done on their roster.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    Literally the opposite of this. Horrible timesuck, meh rewards
    Dk_rek wrote: »

Its horible worst thing in game but time consumption is 10000000% not one of the bad things about it.....
    There is literally no time consumption over72 hrs

I wouldnt have a poblem with the rewards except them giving the winner the modulators geting more of the other 3 items is enough....

Literally the opposite of this. Horrible timesuck, meh rewards, especially considering my first point.
    3v3>>>>>5v5 too
    Maybe End Game isn't for you