Tired of Arena Meta

MntMan
281 posts Member
Oh my god will they please release Darth Revan. I really could care less about the KOTOR or characters associated with it. I'm just tired of the arena grind. Revan v Revan Jedi teams grind through the full 5 minutes and are so boring in my personal opinion. You can't even really auto it since the AI doesn't focus on getting rid of Bindo first. All I try and do now is stay in the top 100, enter a fight and forfeit to get my dailies. I'm just tired of it. I'm sure Darth Revan will come in and blast the existing Meta. That is the CG formula for financial success so please just come get it over with. I like the CLS/Chewie/Han Meta that was around for a bit and still tries to hold on. Even Traya is less boring. Give me back 2 minute fights please.

Replies

• GG seems to do fine if invested heavily. Assuming that you are talking honestly and really want a change.
  • Darth Revan will come in August
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    GG seems to do fine if invested heavily. Assuming that you are talking honestly and really want a change.

...and have $600 you want to light on fire to 7 star and gear Droideka and B1. ;)
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Sarbitar wrote: »
    GG is not fine. Not without god mods and all 7 stars and still this is soft counter.

I would not be in such a hurry for DarkRevan and another meta as surely this will break the game even more. You need him to be more powerfull than Revan. This means some 1500 text chars in his leader ability + more revives, damage immunities, dispells etc etc.

The only way to repair the game is to nerf revan/jolee but that will never happen. So when DarkRevan comes we will have 6 months of another top100 same teams, and then another 6 months of top400 same teams.

Unfortunately, I fear the same. That's part of the concern with these huge power spikes (as opposed to the "power creep", which was the norm up until about 18 months ago). The big power spikes simply make more and more of the previous characters and their abilities obsolete.

That's why long-time whales are leaving the game - they see the characters/ships they invested in (with real money) a year or two ago now sitting on their bench, useless. People used to say Chaze (when they were p2p) was OP and would "always have a place in the meta"...then they said the same about Thrawn. Or even look at CLS and JTR. Sure, some of those characters are strong in certain raid combinations - and you can even occasionally spot 1 or 2 top teams in arena. But now all pale in comparison to Revan...or even Traya.

The same is the case in ships - first with HT and now with HMF.

It's not really an enjoyable game to have 160+ characters that are 7* - with 100 being g10 or higher, when you only use the same 3 or 4 teams for everything. Same in fleet - what's the point of 30 or 40 ships, if all that matters is who has HT and HMF? If "power spikes" continue to be the norm, this will only get worse.

That's the long term problem for CG - because it's the reason launch players (and especially launch whales) have already left, and why that sentiment is picking up speed.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
  • I know a lot of launch whales have left because most of my close friends were whales and we were usually in the top of the arena until JKR. I still play but refuse to give CG any more money, and at least 3-4 people that were around are now gone or also are FTP.

Despite the hundreds of threads on Revan being ridiculous, CG won't do anything about it, until they release Malek, Darth Revan, or Jar Jar Binks to destroy the Revan meta, which will be shortly followed by that new meta which will make all other possible squads out in the cold again. Balance is something CG is absolutely not interested in doing.
  • Legend91
    2441 posts Member
    2nd iteration of JKR made arena a complete clown fiesta. Ppl who were previously in the top 200 now are able to climb up despite having +50 speed on their Revan and their GMY being modded with health mods (I've alrdy seen it in GA....).
    We DESPERATELY need Darth Revan to create a new meta ASAP.
    Legend#6873 | YouTube | swgoh.gg
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    And how do you know that launch whales left? I actually think the opposite, that people stay regardless of the mess that's happening.

Because my guild is mainly launch players - including several whales. 3 have quit in the past couple weeks, citing the reason stated. I know because internet friends I have played with for 2+ years are now gone.

• Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    The forum needs more posts like this...
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Ryzak620 wrote: »
    Despite the hundreds of threads on Revan being ridiculous, CG won't do anything about it, until they release Malek, Darth Revan, or Jar Jar Binks to destroy the Revan meta, which will be shortly followed by that new meta which will make all other possible squads out in the cold again. Balance is something CG is absolutely not interested in doing.

This is how it's pretty much always been, except in the very early days when leadership abilities were poorly thought out and you could basically mix & match because synergy didn't really exist.

This is also, inevitably, how any squad-building game develops. There is always a "meta" team, and they always have to keep power creep going with each new release in order to unseat it. It's basically unavoidable.

People always preach about "balance" and "rock paper scissors," but beyond a certain level of complexity, it becomes almost impossible to maintain this perfect balancing act for any great length of time. And said complexity is what makes the game interesting in the first place.

Is Revan ridiculous? Sure. But it's likely that whatever replaces him will be just as ridiculous, because it would have to be in order to beat him, wouldn't it?

I personally don't even mind Revan that much, as he allows me to win without a perfect set of godlike mods, which is a nice change from the "Oh, you don't have +130 speed on your entire squad? LOL you lose" status quo I had gotten used to previously.

u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    @Nikoms565 thx for the answer. You sure it was because if the current situation? Maybe they just got bored. People come and go all the time :).

One specifically gave the staleness of both arena and fleet meta - and the seemingly clear intention of CG to continue this cycle, as the reason.

The others simply said, their real life is good - and the game has become a mundane grind. While not citing Revan and metas specifically, they hinted at it (or at least implied it).

As someone who had spent a few bucks on this game (less than $100 in 3+ years), I find myself more disenchanted with the game now, than ever before. The "power spike" meta in both arena and fleet being a very large part of that. Will I leave? Probably not, because Star Wars. But not because I find the game play particularly fun or engaging anymore. When you've spent 3+ years building a 4+ million GP roster, it's difficult to walk away.

The fact that whales with rosters much stronger than that - who have paid significantly more for them, are leaving should be saying something. I just have resigned myself to the fact that whatever that says, CG has stopped listening.

• MntMan
    281 posts Member
    Gifafi wrote: »
    The forum needs more posts like this...

Agreed but somehow it's been moderated away from General so now it will die and no one will see it. Honestly it has nothing to do with Strategy. It's a gripe about how boring the current Meta is. Two Revans going at it, hammering on the lowest HP/Prot toon to kill them once, then hammer on Bindo. No ability to Auto and takes almost the full 5 minutes every time with heals, protection up, revives, etc. I honestly don't care what the meta is, but make it a more interesting fight.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    It's no different now, than when Wiggs was the meta, only the names have changed. Regardless of the new hero to counter it with go faster stripes, a month or so and we'll be complaining about that meta, then the next, rinse and repeat. The core of he game is built on releasing a new hero to counter existing ones. This will go on until players that spend to win get off the hamster wheel and move on. (Which judging from the fall in rank of SWGOH from a stable #11 last year, to #25 or so today, and as low as #48 in the last month has begun). CG is rumored to have a new game in the works, so it will hold their focus. Just like SWGOH did when HoDA was their only game. As one dev there has said when asked if focus had shifted to a new game, "It is what we do..".
  • It's no different now, than when Wiggs was the meta, only the names have changed. Regardless of the new hero to counter it with go faster stripes, a month or so and we'll be complaining about that meta, then the next, rinse and repeat. The core of he game is built on releasing a new hero to counter existing ones. This will go on until players that spend to win get off the hamster wheel and move on. (Which judging from the fall in rank of SWGOH from a stable #11 last year, to #25 or so today, and as low as #48 in the last month has begun). CG is rumored to have a new game in the works, so it will hold their focus. Just like SWGOH did when HoDA was their only game. As one dev there has said when asked if focus had shifted to a new game, "It is what we do..".

Not true with the Wiggs meta. Or the GK/Zarriss meta. Of course there is generally a single meta, BUT, the difference now is everyone in the top 100+ uses Revan. It was never, ever, like this before. SWGG has the meta report at 89% Revan (the other 11% make up the counter squads that people use to beat Revan, and then I'm sure the last thing they do is switch back to Revan for a chance at holding). Wiggs was never that high, nor Traya, etc, etc. With Wiggs and other above mentioned there were at least 4-5 squads that could not only beat Wiggs, but could hold their own (as much as any squad ever does) on defense. The fact, that just looking at my arena right now, 1-50 are all Revan.proves that this meta is unlike any other seen in the game, and knowing that Revan's "Counter" will be coming will just continue the trend.
  • MntMan
    281 posts Member
    Also still want to point out that I am OK with there being a meta and I fully recognize that it will change. I just feel this meta is so boring. Apart from the fact that it is all the same in the top 100 which is boring to begin with the battles are a slow unexciting grind. At least in Wiggs Meta, CLS/Chewie/Han, JTR metas etc there were some high damage swings that made it interesting. I just want to this meta over and done with and get back to some damage as opposed to whittling away slowly.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    Ryzak620 wrote: »
    It's no different now, than when Wiggs was the meta, only the names have changed. Regardless of the new hero to counter it with go faster stripes, a month or so and we'll be complaining about that meta, then the next, rinse and repeat. The core of he game is built on releasing a new hero to counter existing ones. This will go on until players that spend to win get off the hamster wheel and move on. (Which judging from the fall in rank of SWGOH from a stable #11 last year, to #25 or so today, and as low as #48 in the last month has begun). CG is rumored to have a new game in the works, so it will hold their focus. Just like SWGOH did when HoDA was their only game. As one dev there has said when asked if focus had shifted to a new game, "It is what we do..".

Not true with the Wiggs meta. Or the GK/Zarriss meta. Of course there is generally a single meta, BUT, the difference now is everyone in the top 100+ uses Revan. It was never, ever, like this before. SWGG has the meta report at 89% Revan (the other 11% make up the counter squads that people use to beat Revan, and then I'm sure the last thing they do is switch back to Revan for a chance at holding). Wiggs was never that high, nor Traya, etc, etc. With Wiggs and other above mentioned there were at least 4-5 squads that could not only beat Wiggs, but could hold their own (as much as any squad ever does) on defense. The fact, that just looking at my arena right now, 1-50 are all Revan.proves that this meta is unlike any other seen in the game, and knowing that Revan's "Counter" will be coming will just continue the trend.

This is exactly correct. The meta (actually, in both squad and fleet) has never been this single-team dominated...nor has it ever been this boring. The game is actually significantly less fun in those two areas then it has been in the past 3 years at any point. And it really isn't close. And dozens of shard-chat and guildmates are echoing those sentiment.

• Ryzak620 wrote: »
    Not true with the Wiggs meta. Or the GK/Zarriss meta. Of course there is generally a single meta, BUT, the difference now is everyone in the top 100+ uses Revan. It was never, ever, like this before.

I would disagree with this statement as recently as the EP Meta... top 100-150 easily was all EP on my shard.
  • It's funny that when you use Sion and attack a General Kenobi, that he counters to DN instead of Sion. LOL as if CG's coding wasn't more obvious to target specific characters once Treya is dead. Darth Revan is the last straw for me, after that I'm quitting this game, thanks to mismanagement by CG.
  • Sarbitar wrote: »
    GG is not fine. Not without god mods and all 7 stars and still this is soft counter.

I would not be in such a hurry for DarkRevan and another meta as surely this will break the game even more. You need him to be more powerfull than Revan. This means some 1500 text chars in his leader ability + more revives, damage immunities, dispells etc etc.

The only way to repair the game is to nerf revan/jolee but that will never happen. So when DarkRevan comes we will have 6 months of another top100 same teams, and then another 6 months of top400 same teams.

The wiser thing to do would be to nerf Revan