When I was a kid...

VonZant
3843 posts Member
When I was a kid, there was a local mall kiosk that would seal stuff in a large soup can for you. Big can, like the family sized baked beans. Full on proper soup-can seal so you needed a can opener to open it.

My parents got 2 toys sealed into them for my brother and I and put the bare metal cans under the christmas tree with our names written on them in black magic marker. I was about 9 and my brother was 6.

No peeking or squishing or looking at the size of the box to guess what it was. But it made an oh-so-satisfying rattle when shaken.

It was awesome. For weeks they enthralled us. Did it sound metal or Plastic? Hollow or Solid? Big or little? Soft or Hard? Did it slide or roll or tumble when tilted? Was that a thud or a click when turned over?

Was it an Optimus Prime? Snowtrooper or Boba Fett action figure from the new movie? A ninja star ordered from the back of our kung-fu magazine? A rubicks cube? We went wild with weeks of guessing. Made lists, got toy brochures from Toys R Us and circled things. Just went flat out crazy with anticipation.

For Christmas Day, my parents actually went and bought a second can opener so we could both open them at the same time.

I have never opened a can as fast before or since. We cut them open, pried out the lid and revealed this super-toy.

We each got a Mon-Chi-Chi monkey-doll. A GIRL toy.

My parents laughed. My little brother cried and ran to his room. I threw the empty can at my dad and the doll at my mom and cursed them the best way I could at 9 years old. My parents, though they tried not to, laughed more. Then I ran to my room too and laid on the bunk bed with my brother and we both cried.

When I was thinking about it again today I called my Dad to confront him with this heinous act that he committed decades ago and he immediately just laughed and laughed and I automatically hung up on him. I can still feel the pain to this day.

This is how the C3P0 event makes me feel evertime I failed for the last 100+ times. :(

Replies

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Mon-Chi-Chi. Watch at own risk because will never get stupid song out of your head:

https://youtu.be/od3cNTl40VI
  • VonZant wrote: »
    When I was a kid, there was a local mall kiosk that would seal stuff in a large soup can for you. Big can, like the family sized baked beans. Full on proper soup-can seal so you needed a can opener to open it.

My parents got 2 toys sealed into them for my brother and I and put the bare metal cans under the christmas tree with our names written on them in black magic marker. I was about 9 and my brother was 6.

No peeking or squishing or looking at the size of the box to guess what it was. But it made an oh-so-satisfying rattle when shaken.

It was awesome. For weeks they enthralled us. Did it sound metal or Plastic? Hollow or Solid? Big or little? Soft or Hard? Did it slide or roll or tumble when tilted? Was that a thud or a click when turned over?

Was it an Optimus Prime? Snowtrooper or Boba Fett action figure from the new movie? A ninja star ordered from the back of our kung-fu magazine? A rubicks cube? We went wild with weeks of guessing. Made lists, got toy brochures from Toys R Us and circled things. Just went flat out crazy with anticipation.

For Christmas Day, my parents actually went and bought a second can opener so we could both open them at the same time.

I have never opened a can as fast before or since. We cut them open, pried out the lid and revealed this super-toy.

We each got a Mon-Chi-Chi monkey-doll. A GIRL toy.

My parents laughed. My little brother cried and ran to his room. I threw the empty can at my dad and the doll at my mom and cursed them the best way I could at 9 years old. My parents, though they tried not to, laughed more. Then I ran to my room too and laid on the bunk bed with my brother and we both cried.

When I was thinking about it again today I called my Dad to confront him with this heinous act that he committed decades ago and he immediately just laughed and laughed and I automatically hung up on him. I can still feel the pain to this day.

This is how the C3P0 event makes me feel evertime I failed for the last 100+ times. :(

I mean.......at least it wasn't this thing?7f3jmtdocvu2.jpg
  • Harhar,
    loved that story! Your parents are hilarious! :D:D:D
  • I was never a kid. I was born a full grown Rocky III character.

SWGOH's best casual guild is recruiting!
    Contact me: Clubber Lang
    Ally Code: 174-914-139
    Current stats: 40 members / 92,000,000 GP
    Or just join our guild: We might be giants
  • I was hoping at the end they’d set aside your proper presents.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Jetrology wrote: »
    I was hoping at the end they’d set aside your proper presents.

Oh they did. We got the ATAT and snowspeeders for sure.

Now if only CG would do the same with 3p0. ;)
  • Thank you. I don't feel so bad about my gifts from my grandma one year, I may have had a dozen gifts, but individually wrapped socks are not as exciting either.
  • Tbirds01
    1235 posts Member
    Did you kiss your doll like the commercial showed? I’m sure that helps you get an attachment to it.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • Snake2
    1455 posts Member
    One time when I was a kid I taped my friend's normal sized birthday present to the outside of a huge empty box and wrapped them both. He was so excited to open my present just to discover the nasty surprise.

His dad thought it was hilarious.

I still look back on it and laugh and feel bad at the same time.