FTP Darth Revan

Prev13
B0baf3tt
182 posts Member
edited March 2019
This may be the least FTP toon ever!

We have a little longer to farm than JKR which is nice so people with drive can get the required shards. Assuming gear 11 or 12 is required (based on difficult event) it may be out of reach for people who managed to get the star requirements.

I saved gear since the second coming of Revan and will be able to gear up. Anyone who hasn't saved almost as long will have a uphill battle to gear in time making a new type of paywall.

A new death for the FTP community.

Replies

• Actually we had one less week to farm JKR.

The difference is those characters were easier to farm. One fleet node is brutal.

So we get one extra week for a much harder farm. This is less F2P friendly but not extreme.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    JKRevan took me by suprise how hard it was, this time i'm prepared with over 30k crystals hoarded aswell as a headstart on the farms.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • B0baf3tt wrote: »

Not if you have been paying attention and planned ahead.

It's as FTP as Chewie was.
  • I am going to get him FTP as long as I can meet the gear reqs. I hoarded crystals and got character shards through shipments. I also refreshed energy 3 times and also refreshed 1 toons hard node twice a day with arena crystals until i got that toon and moved to the next

I had already come close to finishing the already available toons since I started those as soon as they dropped.

Its all about preparation and learning from previous events, and while its not easy to say its not doable or not FTP friendly is just not the truth.

• KueChael
    930 posts Moderator
    We all witnessed how the first Revan was released, this one requires only 4 OR characters. If you prepared saving crystals, gear etc... you have a great shot.
  • Madpup
    279 posts Member
    Javin37 wrote: »
    B0baf3tt wrote: »

Who was planning for a Chewie level amount of difficulty for this event? No one. They have clearly stated in the past that Journey events are designed to be easier events designed around using a specific set of characters and they require less gear so that players can focus more on a cool story and special designed battles.
  • And it's nowhere near as FTP as Chewie was. Using the original five Bounty Hunters was possible to 7* but required high gear and a specific modding strategy. Yes Bossk made it easier, but if you'd been enjoying BH for a while before the event it likely took little time to get them geared up and prepped.

This is 2/5's just-released to the table toons, 2 that were farm-able just long enough for FTP without a crystal hoard, and a niche-use Droid leader.
  • This one was easy to the point I wasted maybe 2k crystals? Also gear lvl is not an issue for me. I completely skipped using jedi revan in arena and it's my certain reason to celebration to finally free from traya :sweat_smile: (I suppose)
  • I’m 100% ready zero $$$ investment
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    Perhaps I should wait 6 weeks for the next meta toon before commenting...maybe, just maybe the pattern will be different from "OMG! F2P death! Rage quit!" like so many meta toons before.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • Madpup wrote: »

Who was planning for a Chewie level amount of difficulty for this event? No one. They have clearly stated in the past that Journey events are designed to be easier events designed around using a specific set of characters and they require less gear so that players can focus more on a cool story and special designed battles.

Who was planning for Chewie to be as hard as it was prior to the event?

Chewie wasn't something only whales had.
  • Ive used up about 12k crystals from my ftp collected stash, and all characters required are at 7star by now.
    Theyre not geared yet tho, but id honestly be surprised if I couldnt get it because of gear issues. Arena mods plus my normal safety stash should be enough. *fingers crossed*
  • How is this a death to the FTP community? This is a brand new toon. If FTP’ers expect every new toon without hoarding or spending $$ then they are playing the wrong game. The game will go on.
  • Its a harsh blow having surprise high gear requirements for a FTP who is already used hoarded crystals to fuel the farm. I sympathize with them.

That said I personally think this is a great FTP game. I exaggerate the death to ftp to make a point. I took every toon up to gear 11 today for this event with no issue. I would have dropped this app like many others if there was any true paywall where progress stops unless you pay. Play smart and succeed. I'm thankful for people who spend money because it fuels this game that I really like.

Let haters hate. The rest of us shall have some good fun with a shiny new Revan in a week.
  • Padas
    52 posts Member
    I normally agree with these posts most of the time, but it was very obvious this was coming. With planning and hoarding it was possible to get free to play. Not easy but doable.

Personally I did buy the $10 bundles but in all honesty I probably didn't need them this time around. I hoarded 21k crystals and sat on a bunch of gear (granted it was to take Darth Revan to G12) that just went to gearing my OR team to g11.

With out planning and hoarding though this definitely is the least ftp friendly character.
  • Jarvind
    3918 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    More time, and effectively one less character since HK has been around forever and most have probably farmed him to 7* just to complete the store. Also, there were about a billion hints that Darth Revan was coming.

On the other hand, Carth on a single fleet node is rough.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• We all knew Darth Revan was coming for sure as soon as Fallen Bastilla and Canderous Ordo we’re released. We’ve all had plenty of time to farm and prepare. If you weren’t diligent in doing so or weren’t paying attention, that is no one’s fault but your own. On top of that, new Legendary toons should be harder for FTP players to obtain from their initial release, so all is as it should be.
  • My only worry is that too many will get him the first time around. I hoarded 44k crystals for this and i currently have 46k. If there isn't a high gear hurdle we're gonna jump straight into an all DR META
  • xxragnarjsxx
    244 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Javin37 wrote: »
    B0baf3tt wrote: »

This^^^

If you’ve been paying attention, you’ve hoarded a ton of gear and mats. And have all finished or close.
    Myself, I’m 100% free to play. And I’m 40 shards away in carth.
    Carth and Bastilla at g11. HK and Juhani at g9. Canderous at g8.
    I’ll just keep hoarding gear until event and then see what I need to use.

Those that rank high in arena free to play and hoard will easily be ready
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Ah yes... Let me bask in the ambiance of f2p salt for a second... Ok, that's over.

*DISCLAIMER - I bought the $9.99 marquee packs and probably didn't have to with this length of farm.

Look, I'm a whale. When jkr first dropped it cost me about $225.00 and change. Why? Because I'm a whale? No, it's because I made stupid choices.

I farmed smugglers instead of old republic.
    I geared toons that didn't need it.
    I farmed the overall wrong things.

I vowed to never do that again, so I hoarded every single crystal, almost every omega and zeta, I hoarded every piece of gear and I barely put gear on anyone. As soon as all the kotor toons were farmable, I was node refreshing at least once per node. I snapped Carth out of shipments when he showed up. What happened?

I had 24k in crystals by the end of it. I got everything from shipments and farming. I hoarded all my gear and now they're all at gear 11 with the omegas and zetas ready to go if needed. I didn't have to spend A SINGLE DIME to do this. The marquee packs were pretty much inconsequential. Pro tip: If you haven't noticed, there's a pattern to this:

Meta definition comes out.
    People that get it have a fairly decent advantage for months.
    Event comes second time around.
    Everyone in the shard catches up and arena sucks for a bit.
    New meta in a month or less.
    Wash, rinse, repeat.

If you weren't hoarding crystals, hoarding gear, farming node refreshes, etc. then I don't know what to tell you.

Edit - not taking the Grievous bait helped immensely.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Ultra
    11423 posts Moderator
    You had:

1. One more week of farming
    2. You already have one toon seven starred years ago (HK)
    3. They gave you plenty of time to farm BSF, before giving you another hard node farm (Juhani). With JKR, it was worse because you had to farm Jolee, Bastilla simultaneously for 2 weeks and then Zaalbar was also sharing a hard node. We had like 3-4 weeks of farming just BSF and then Juhani dropped to a hard node
    4. Canderous is the only cantina node farm that is 12 energy opposed to Mission and T3 which were 16 each

Carth is the only difficult farm. Outside of that the conditions are much much easier than JKR and the timeline is whole lot better

This is more FTP friendly than JKR
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    I would just like to point out that saying 4 of the 5 are easy doesn't really make any sense....because you need all 5 - including Carth. A 20 energy fleet node is the hardest type of node in the entire game, because fleet energy refreshes as slowly and as expensive as Cantina - but you also have to pay to refresh after 8 attempts.

So while many f2p players "should" have 4 of the 5 (if they guessed right) - the 5th is just as necessary....and not nearly as f2p friendly as the others.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    My only worry is that too many will get him the first time around. I hoarded 44k crystals for this and i currently have 46k. If there isn't a high gear hurdle we're gonna jump straight into an all DR META

ditto
  • Javin37 wrote: »
    My only worry is that too many will get him the first time around. I hoarded 44k crystals for this and i currently have 46k. If there isn't a high gear hurdle we're gonna jump straight into an all DR META

ditto

Ahh, so just a couple of you should get him them. Not everyone else? Wow talk about absurdly selfish
  • pac0naut
    3236 posts Member
    Nikoms565 wrote: »
    I would just like to point out that saying 4 of the 5 are easy doesn't really make any sense....because you need all 5 - including Carth. A 20 energy fleet node is the hardest type of node in the entire game, because fleet energy refreshes as slowly and as expensive as Cantina - but you also have to pay to refresh after 8 attempts.

So while many f2p players "should" have 4 of the 5 (if they guessed right) - the 5th is just as necessary....and not nearly as f2p friendly as the others.

Agreed. That's why I went Carth first via shipments. That farm is kinda brutal.

My overall point was that it was possible to do so. Not only that, but this may be very f2p friendly for those who were paying attention.
    Meanwhile, down on the farm....
  • Javin37 wrote: »

ditto

Ahh, so just a couple of you should get him them. Not everyone else? Wow talk about absurdly selfish

It's a competitive game bud, of course people will be selfish
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member

Absurdly selfish is purposely omitting the context of an entire post just to cast negative judgement.

Kind of like how those that gaslight are absurdly selfish.

• CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    These events aren't meant to be easy. You need to either finish high rank in both arenas, and proactively focus solidly on the characters based on intuition and rumors or; react and pay. It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone now.
  • Yea plus a business they make more by making u spend if u want the toon first go around if not u get them 2nd go around for hero journey type events but legendaries u can get first time if you all ready geared them or had gear to gear them for ftp if not you have to buy gear the 1st time the event comes but every single event toon is obtainable the 2nd time around ftp

Just get over the fact not every character will be ftp attainable the first go around especially if you did not save crystals and farmed them effectively