I joined this game today all I knew was...

If I was guy who watched only the 8 star wars movies that currently exist, R1 and Solo, and never watched anything from the expanded universe, clone wars, old republic, ect. I think I would be completely lost!

I would look at all the different characters in the game and I would be totally puzzled! Who is this Revan who soon is about to have 2 versions of himself in this game? Who is this Bastila who is both light and dark. Who are all these other people from the old republic? What is the old republic? Who is this Darth Triumvirate who are kicking everyone's backside? I would be stunned by the amount characters that have nothing to do with any of the movies, and who vastly outnumber the movie related characters.

We're in a stage of the game where 2 ancient video games have more impact on the game than 10 movies. We're at a stage in the game where we there is an active trilogy of movies about the franchise and we're not even interested in it's content. I see people asking for more Revans, Malak, more Old republic content and I haven't heard anyone in months ask for what's gonna happen with Snoke or Hux or Jedi Luke. We never got Beckett or Dryden Vos and we still sit on a single version of Darth Maul when we've seen so many others from he clone wars and solo.

I'm sure those of you who played the games and like those characters; are ecstatic about all of that and I'll admit that there is room in the game for this content. I'll even admit that it makes sense that Revan and Traya should be overpowered, I just really really hope that this madness is going to stop at some point. I hope right around August we start looking forward and not back, that the old republic domination of this game has an expiration date before the new movie comes out so we can finally enjoy some more 'star warsy' characters. We've had a Jedi meta in arena for months now and as strange as it sounds it never felt like a Jedi meta for me. Mostly it has to do with the fact it's really not so much a Jedi meta but an old republic meta. I still don't get this Jedi feeling by looking or playing as Revan, Jolee and Bastila. The only two characters who have a Jedi feel are Yoda and Obi wan. The rest of the Jedi are a mess, Anakin hits like a noodle, QGJ's health bar reminds me of the B1s even at g12. Mace windu is a complete joke, Luminara, Kit Fisto and basically all of the OG prequel Jedi are still laughable.

I love this game but I wish it was less like a KOTOR 3.

Replies

• Juzz
    366 posts Member
    If you only watched the movies, then you're not a true fan.
    I have not played KotOR games, but have read most of the books and seen clone wars series.

You could be lost at first with seeing only the movoes but with about 2h of searching and reading in Wookieepedia you would be up to date and wanting to know more about these unknown characters.

You point doesn't stand
    Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    I get to a newcomer it'll seem odd that there's a focus on less well known characters (although I'm one who thinks the KOTOR story dumps on anything else), but I'd say that's inevitable. When the game launched there was a focus on the characters you'd expect to be there, as to do otherwise wouldn't draw people in. However, once folk were hooked then there was a necessary focus elsewhere. They still have stuff up their sleeves too - jedi Luke anyone? And completely agree re Mace, but they'll know that too.
  • If I was guy who watched only the 8 star wars movies that currently exist, R1 and Solo, and never watched anything from the expanded universe, clone wars, old republic, ect. I think I would be completely lost!

I would look at all the different characters in the game and I would be totally puzzled! Who is this Revan who soon is about to have 2 versions of himself in this game? Who is this Bastila who is both light and dark. Who are all these other people from the old republic? What is the old republic? Who is this Darth Triumvirate who are kicking everyone's backside? I would be stunned by the amount characters that have nothing to do with any of the movies, and who vastly outnumber the movie related characters.

We're in a stage of the game where 2 ancient video games have more impact on the game than 10 movies. We're at a stage in the game where we there is an active trilogy of movies about the franchise and we're not even interested in it's content. I see people asking for more Revans, Malak, more Old republic content and I haven't heard anyone in months ask for what's gonna happen with Snoke or Hux or Jedi Luke. We never got Beckett or Dryden Vos and we still sit on a single version of Darth Maul when we've seen so many others from he clone wars and solo.

I'm sure those of you who played the games and like those characters; are ecstatic about all of that and I'll admit that there is room in the game for this content. I'll even admit that it makes sense that Revan and Traya should be overpowered, I just really really hope that this madness is going to stop at some point. I hope right around August we start looking forward and not back, that the old republic domination of this game has an expiration date before the new movie comes out so we can finally enjoy some more 'star warsy' characters. We've had a Jedi meta in arena for months now and as strange as it sounds it never felt like a Jedi meta for me. Mostly it has to do with the fact it's really not so much a Jedi meta but an old republic meta. I still don't get this Jedi feeling by looking or playing as Revan, Jolee and Bastila. The only two characters who have a Jedi feel are Yoda and Obi wan. The rest of the Jedi are a mess, Anakin hits like a noodle, QGJ's health bar reminds me of the B1s even at g12. Mace windu is a complete joke, Luminara, Kit Fisto and basically all of the OG prequel Jedi are still laughable.

I'm not a fan of having a constant stream of one specific era being the dominant force in this game (remember the Galaxy of Rebels meta? I still can't look at Chaze without feeling sick to my stomach), but you're doing yourself a disservice by only watching the movies. The Rebels and Clone Wars series are both great watches. The Thrawn trilogy, the Darth Bane trilogy, the X-Wing series etc. are all fantastic reads. The Doctor Aphra, Poe Dameron and Darth Vader comics are also great reads. There have been several great games with original characters like Shadows of the Empire, the Jedi Knight Series, Knights of the Old Republic, Force Unleashed etc. This is just a small list and a lot of it hasn't even been touched in this game yet. Most of the Clone Wars era characters that you mentioned have been around since close to launch so they are very outdated with all the new stuff being released, but their time will come. There is another season of Clone Wars on the horizon, but I doubt they wait that long.
  • CHFC22
    732 posts Member
    Juzz wrote: »
    I have not played KotOR games, but have read most of the books and seen clone wars series.

You could be lost at first with seeing only the movoes but with about 2h of searching and reading in Wookieepedia you would be up to date and wanting to know more about these unknown characters.

You point doesn't stand

You're not a true fan if you've not played KOTOR.

Ridiculous obviously, so let people like what they like - everyone starts somewhere
  • Savo
    2 posts Member
    +1
  • Juzz wrote: »

You point doesn't stand

Language barrier exist.
    Most ppl here dont even know who thrawn is.
  • Totally, totally agree with OP.
  • I've only watched the movies (old ones + R1 and HS) and clone wars series...

To me not knowing some of the chars has actually made me look into their backstories which has been fun and interesting :)
    I didn't know who Mission and Zaalbar was - looked into those guys :) Haven't gotten around to Bastilla and Jolee but I'm sure I will eventually :)

• They can't satisfy everyone. There are people with different interests playing the same game as you. I detest the Phoenix squadron, but consider Thrawn one of the most interesting characters. So I **** it up and geared Phoenix to the bare minimum, but I still hate playing them.
    The OR era on the other hand is the best addition from my point of view. I was more excited for Traya than Chewy and even Marauder was of more interest to me than C3PO.
    You see, there are different people with different opinions. Of course, you can express your opinion freely on the forums. You can even open five new threads bashing OR every single day. But don't expect the devs to change the game for you while there are others enjoying what they produce.
  • To me, the KOTOR characters are toons like Mob Enforcer, Tusken Shaman or Coruscant Underworld Police :) Only with vastly better kits. I did read up on a few of them and found it all a tad bit derivative and repetitive to be honest. Traya, Bastila, Revan and Juhani all fall to the dark side and usually find back to the light at some point, just like a certain canon personality with the initials A.S. aka D.V. But it ultimately doesn't matter to me who they are. Their kits are useful and a lot of people are happy they were included. Maybe the next meta will consist of canon characters again.
  • They can't satisfy everyone. There are people with different interests playing the same game as you. I detest the Phoenix squadron, but consider Thrawn one of the most interesting characters. So I **** it up and geared Phoenix to the bare minimum, but I still hate playing them.
    The OR era on the other hand is the best addition from my point of view. I was more excited for Traya than Chewy and even Marauder was of more interest to me than C3PO.
    You see, there are different people with different opinions. Of course, you can express your opinion freely on the forums. You can even open five new threads bashing OR every single day. But don't expect the devs to change the game for you while there are others enjoying what they produce.

I know different opinions exist and I respect that. This is why I mentioned specifically in my OP that I think there is room for OR in this game. The issue most of us have is their long lasting dominance of the game. For over a year now they have dominated all pvp play. The only exception is raids. For the longest time not having Darth Traya was basically a tombstone on your TW, GA and regular arena performance, which is quite a costly one if I may add. Then Revan came and he took that role from Traya, the fact is that for 1 year OR squads have been dominating and with Darth Revan this time frame will only expand for at least another 6 months. This is all we've been saying.
  • To me, the KOTOR characters are toons like Mob Enforcer, Tusken Shaman or Coruscant Underworld Police :) Only with vastly better kits. I did read up on a few of them and found it all a tad bit derivative and repetitive to be honest. Traya, Bastila, Revan and Juhani all fall to the dark side and usually find back to the light at some point, just like a certain canon personality with the initials A.S. aka D.V. But it ultimately doesn't matter to me who they are. Their kits are useful and a lot of people are happy they were included. Maybe the next meta will consist of canon characters again.

I actually do find interest in their stories, but I believe it's a shame that they get to be so powerful in this game and characters like Anakin, Mace Windu, Darth Maul and Darth Sidious are trash. There just needs to be some more attention to those characters so that we can also enjoy the characters we love.

You are right on Bastila and Juhani. But both Traya and Revan are way more complex than that.
    Without the extended universe I'd say Luke is a blank sheet compared to Traya's character.
    Now you obviously don't have to like them, and I'm all for everyone getting what they want at some point. I agree that the OR vibe extended a little too long. I just wanted to highlight that such description of Revan or Traya is over-simplified.
    Perhaps you give a little more thought to Traya, the depth of her character is quite impressive.
  • Juzz wrote: »

How about "if you didn't enjoy The Last Jedi" or "if you don't attend every con in costume". This gatekeeping is as arbitrary as it is exclusionary and toxic. Anyone who is passionate about any part of the franchise is a fan, even those who have only just watched their first SW movie or read their first novel.
  • enlguy
    85 posts Member
    Juzz wrote: »

You point doesn't stand

**** you kids. "Not a true fan!?" This IS a movie. "Star Wars" is a movie! The books are **** fan fiction by a bunch of unheard of authors, the cartoon spin-offs were just that, money-making schemes by networks having nothing to do with the actual story. YOU don't have a clue what "Star Wars" is about because you were probably born 20 years too late and don't understand what it meant to sneak staying up late at night as a seven year old to watch the movie at someone else's house just to see what was considered one of the greatest movies of all times.

This game is just another spin-off. Another money-making scheme by a large company, happy to capitalize off "true fans." "True fans" probably wouldn't play this game, it's impure. I wouldn't call myself a "true fan," though I'm someone who grew up with and appreciates what the film brought to story-telling and cinema. I play the game for what it's worth, a way to waste a little time. I DO wish they would stick to the movies, though, and do more with what's already there. I'm sick of the flavor of the month (or year) character that I've never even heard of before. Yoda should have a lot more going on, There could be other versions of original characters, better use of original characters, so many things that would make this more like an actual Star Wars game, and not .... some sort of Old Republic circle ****. I hope this comes back round. I really do, if Jedi Luke came out with a truly respectable kit, I'd be back in it, whatever requirements were there, I'd go for it. If I didn't consider 3PO just a whiny **** that takes Ewoks to unlock, I'd probably go for him. I'm readying for the coming Chewbacca event, happy to be able to get him. I LOVE using Raid Han. The characters we loved from the ACTUAL MOVIE would make the game so much more attractive if they were just better placed and used within the framework, and I think the framework needs to contract, right now, because it expanded to be at the point of pandering to fan fiction readers rather than actual "Star Wars" enthusiasts.
  • The madness is CG/EA’s greed. That will never stop
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    star wars fans are hilarious imo. "true fan" haha
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • leef wrote: »
    star wars fans are hilarious imo. "true fan" haha

Up it to fiction fans in general. It's ridiculous when they go on debating entire pages on whose imaginary character is stronger.
  • I once played a match that managed to come down to my g12 Darth Vader against a g12 chirrut. We traded punches until eventually chirrut won (because that would happen in the movies). My point? The problem you point out isn’t specific to KOTOR; it’s just the power creep that’s happened over years.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I think if you are a fan of star wars (true or not) and you join this game today and see all the characters in here, you would be intrigued.

The current state of the game would give someone who had only seen the movies a view that they may not have known and show them how big the universe is. This current view could open up many fans eyes to different aspects and storylines in the universe they already enjoy. Will they enjoy more, or all of it, who knows, but it will draw them in.