Grand Arena GP unfair

Prev1
Why is there matchmaking only by total GP, despite that there is no Ship territories In current arena? I have more than - 300k difference with my enemy by Characters GP. how do i suppose to win? Where is the svjugk7wfe5m2.jpg
fdhl6b6wokwy.jpg
mart matchmaking?

Replies

• Grand Arena makes me wanna quit.... i just played someone with full lvl 12 gear and full mods on every single toon. there is no way i can compete.
  • Straight GP is like saying to a monkey and a fish. We are going to match you up based on age. Forba swimming contest.

Its different for TW because you have a mixture of TW focused players and TB focused players in the guild.

In 1 v 1. You dont have the mix.

I have 3.6 million GP... But 1.5 million is TB bloat. I have every toon lvl 60 nodded and 4 or 5 geared. Every GA oponent ive faced has had double the gear 12 and double the zetas as me.

GA and TW are dominated by teams that are not TB focused. 30 lions (tw) will beat 300 sheep (TB) everytime.

Heres the fix. Preview phase. Select (fake number) 30 toons that you wish to take into battle. End of preview phase, you get matched up with equal GP... To the 30 you selected. Not your entire roster (I'm 3.6 m GP... But 1.5 is bloat for TB).

Fight and now its fair.
  • Grand Arena makes me wanna quit.... i just played someone with full lvl 12 gear and full mods on every single toon. there is no way i can compete.

If GA remains straight GP based. Im done as well.
  • I agree with DarthSlavik, there isn’t any logic to count GP of the float in an arena without any float Battle! At the same, all my opposant have minimum 150 000 GP of toons compare to me!
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Straight GP is like saying to a monkey and a fish. We are going to match you up based on age. Forba swimming contest.

Its different for TW because you have a mixture of TW focused players and TB focused players in the guild.

But players with lot of fluff GP (TB focused players as you call them) still may give their guild a disadvantage in TW. They just don't realise it until they are struck by it personally in GA. Instead of complaining, they should just enjoy their advantage in TB.

• Liath
    5140 posts Member

There are TW focused guilds where all 50 members have that sort of roster. Sometimes your mixed guild will meet those focused guilds, and when you do, you will probably lose. It really isn’t very different.
  • My opponent has clearly just dumped most of the mods from the majority of his roster.. then creates a mismatch .. takes the fun out of it.. why not use the highest GP point someone has reached or a better method.. people are going to stop levelling and gearing all but key toons .. seems counter to what the game is about
  • I seriously hope the moderator and devs read this post.

I am a P2P player. I agree that the matching based on total GP is completely unfair. If there are no ship battles, then the ship portion of GP should not be included, UNLESS they put 3 or 4 (yes 3 or 4 and not 2) spots for ships in the next GA.

There are other recommendations above about picking a selected number of toons. Another idea would be to force players to use like CUP, ugnaught, or other random characters. But a quick move in the right direction would be to either include ships as required spots OR remove the ship portion from the GP matchmaking.

From a coding perspective, I'm thinking calculating matchmaking just off of the toon GP shouldn't be that hard.
  • Agree with this post. GA seriously disadvantages players with high GP. Shouldn’t these be the players that should have an advantage not be disadvantaged??? I get frustrated thinking of all the zetas going to lower GP players who have much easier GAs. Not fair.
  • But they made an announcement that they wanted to change matchmaking to remove ships from non-ship GAs. Shouldn’t that make you content? The announcement I mean since the change still hasn’t been implemented.

I suffer the same problem and it’s getting really annoying. Last GA, everyone had 300-400k squad GP on me. It was the first time I chose to not even attack 1 opponent. He ran over my defense and still set a strong defense. I didn’t have enough toons to overcome that so why bother?

It’s only slightly better when ships are included in GA because the point system isn’t balanced either. But that’s a discussion for another thread.
  • I seem to recall CG saying that grand arenas that did not have a fleet section would ignore fleet GP for the match up, is this still going to happen? Because it is not at the moment. Some clarification would be nice
  • Although I understand, I disagree. If we get into algorithms like TW, the mismatches would ultimately be worse based on historical TW matchups. Identical GP indicates identical resources invested but just allocated differently. Granted this puts you at a disadvantage for this GA. However if a future GA event is more slanted towards ships, then the advantage is yours.

Not necessarily, my best arena team is empire with two zetas on EP, I was matched against someone,who runs a 5 zeta Revan team in the arena. I do not have revan, if he sets this team infront of the fleet, I would have no possibility to even battle his fleet ...
  • HellbenT
    17 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I am mostly F2P and have been playing for years and the whole time I was leveling and gearing everything, especially when TB came around. My GP is 3.98 million. I do not have Revan or Traya or a usable Bastilla Shan. I am pretty much guaranteed to get matched up against people who do, so I am lucky if I can get a single win in GA. If they put a good Revan squad on Defense, I am SOL. I can run my entire roster against the one team and not make a dent. So.. GA is not enjoyable and barely worth the effort to get last place rewards. I'm close to the point where I'm going to join and not bother setting defense and just collect the rewards at the end because taking the time to set defenses has rarely resulted in a better than last place payout unless someone else is coasting through it, but I won't do that because I understand it negative affects the opponents...
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    HellbenT wrote: »
    I am mostly F2P and have been playing for years and the whole time I was leveling and gearing everything, especially when TB came around. My GP is 3.98 million. I do not have Revan or Traya or a usable Bastilla Shan.
    I understand not having Traya - not everyone is in a HSith-capable guild. (I'm not either)

I can even kinda understand why you might not have Revan yet, though with 3.8 mill GP you ought to be well on your way to unlocking him next time around.

But how do you not have Bastilia powered-up?!? Jedi teams are TB/TW/GA standard fodder and Bastilia is the best leader aside from Revan and not hard to farm.
  • Scuttlebutt
    1190 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    My current opponent set his 4 best teams as his front line defense. If he walks over my defense, I’m done with GA. I’m tired of counting ship GP in the calculation.
  • Jevare
    40 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Classic CG... Where is ONLY fleet GA huh? >:)
    They said about normal MM, but...
  • I seem to recall CG saying that grand arenas that did not have a fleet section would ignore fleet GP for the match up, is this still going to happen? Because it is not at the moment. Some clarification would be nice
    That is their plan, but they have not implemented it yet. Hopefully they implement it in the QOL update that is coming soon.
  • Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    I need to brush up on my Russian.
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    I dont understand the complaints. I took over a year off and had to rebuild my standings in everything. I can never reach top 50 in fleet because that's for people who can afford to gear and zeta for only fleet which is a very very small part of the game. I don't fill the forums with complaints tho, because I chose how to rebuild my account. I'm in a Nov 2015 shard and have made my way back to rank 1 arena and top 100-150 fleet.

Dont look at the GA as a "oh woe is me", instead look at it as a challenge and a way to direct your future gear and farming choices. Or if you dont want to change, don't complain about poor GA performance
  • Jevare
    40 posts Member
    Daishi wrote: »
    I dont understand the complaints.

But EA understood and rebalnced MM. HA-HA
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    No, they just removed fleet GP from calculations when fleets arent being used. People are still complaining about GP matchmaking because they made different choices and GA makes each of us face our choices and see how they compete.

IMO the **** idea is the pick what toons you want to include in your GA GP calculation. Or the take only the top 50% of your GP, etc etc etc. Stupid ideas made by people who want the game to pander to them, instead of facing their choices and trying to improve.
  • Jevare
    40 posts Member
    Daishi wrote: »
    No, they just removed fleet GP from calculations when fleets arent being used. People are still complaining about GP matchmaking because they made different choices and GA makes each of us face our choices and see how they compete.

IMO the **** idea is the pick what toons you want to include in your GA GP calculation. Or the take only the top 50% of your GP, etc etc etc. Stupid ideas made by people who want the game to pander to them, instead of facing their choices and trying to improve.

too complicated and requires more server time, its OK for now
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    We may have the best system right now for matching by GP. Keeps it pretty straightforward and removing fleet GP from non fleet arenas was good.

My only issue is that the game encouraged us for a year or so with territory battles to develop our whole roster out to get as much GP as possible, and now this is the complete opposite and punishing players that did that. Players that left all the characters they don't use at low levels and gear are at a heavy advantage. Probably is what it is though, and I can't think of any solution to correct this.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Mzee wrote: »
    We may have the best system right now for matching by GP. Keeps it pretty straightforward and removing fleet GP from non fleet arenas was good.

My only issue is that the game encouraged us for a year or so with territory battles to develop our whole roster out to get as much GP as possible, and now this is the complete opposite and punishing players that did that. Players that left all the characters they don't use at low levels and gear are at a heavy advantage. Probably is what it is though, and I can't think of any solution to correct this.

The effect on match-making in GA is the same as it was on match-making in TW before GA was introduced. It's nothing new. Many players simply didn't realise this effect in the guild event.
  • So EA guys, how is it fair, in a 3v3 GA, where 3*6*2 = 36 chars are involved (defense+offense) to match a player who has 1 single char G11, and 1-2 chars G10, a few G9, and rest G8, with someone who has 40+ G12 chars fully geared and modded? (This is the case currently in this GA event. I am neither of the 2 examples above, but I am also pretty low on G12 chars :) )

Someone said those two players invested the same amount of resources? Are you crazy? You compare (20 sets) mk4 keyboards which you get for free and which are pretty much the only thing needed to get to G8, with the (50 sets) stun guns and stun
    cufs and furnaces and gold gear you need for g12??
    If the fights could be 10 vs 1, I am pretty sure 10 G8 chars could not beat 1 single maxed G12 char. Or as it could be tested today, 10 G8 teams will never beat 1 G12 team.

What I want to say, is not that matchmaking based on GP is bad, you have to base it on something, but:
    - maybe the GP is calculated really poorly, I think GP for a char going from G8 to 9, 10, 11, 12 should be exponential.
    - maybe not all chars should be counted, but only the best ones who are likely to participate in the event

I understand EA wants to favour paying customers, but you should just go ahead and give them gear for free, not frustrate all the other players...
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    knox_md wrote: »
    So EA guys, how is it fair, in a 3v3 GA, where 3*6*2 = 36 chars are involved (defense+offense) to match a player who has 1 single char G11, and 1-2 chars G10, a few G9, and rest G8, with someone who has 40+ G12 chars fully geared and modded? (This is the case currently in this GA event. I am neither of the 2 examples above, but I am also pretty low on G12 chars :) )

It's perfectly fair to let the player, who developed the stronger roster benefit from it. Giving the player with the weaker roster the advantage of an even (and easier) match-up wouldn't be fair. Even and fair are two different things.

• knox_md wrote: »
    Someone said those two players invested the same amount of resources? Are you crazy?

Yeah, this is the big problem in this discussion, some people think GP has a meaningful link to amount of resources invested. It really doesn't. You can reach much higher GP with much much less resource investment if you make certain choices to gear and level a large number of characters up to about g8.

There's a recurring discussion about if this is "fair" which lacks some subtlety in my opinion. In the strictest definition of course it's "fair" as both players are playing a game with a set of rules and neither has violated those rules as written.

There is an oft repeated notion however that if the player with a bloated roster made different ("better"?) choices they would have been able to beat the opponent they are matched with. This (in some cases) is patently untrue. Given, under the current rules/GP calculations, people who have invested a certain amount of time/money/energy/resources etc. can be matched with people that have invested significantly more, then the current rules could be considered un-fair in the sense they do not treat different individuals equitably.

Counter to this however, the player with the bloated roster could have made different ("better"?) decisions by investing their resources in a more focused way resulting in them having a much smaller GP but a roster more favored in this game mode. They would still never beat the player they are currently matched with but would have a much higher chance of winning matches at their now much lower GP bracket. So in this sense the choices made by the player resulted in the match they received so matchmaking could be considered "fair".

The only thing I really care about though whether fair or not is that the matches are fun. For me right now, they are not in the slightest bit fun and I could care less about people wanting to be rewarded for building the perfect roster for this game mode by getting more rewards.... I just want some "even" and competitive matches and at this point I would happily give up my first place rewards to get them.
  • I am curious if someone knows what is the EA vision related to the players of this game. For example what would they want players to do: try to collect all chars? Or avoid collecting to many chars? Try to collect chars only if it is possible to also level them to G12? Participate in events? Or not participate?
    I am thinking they should have an idea about where they want to direct players besides making them pay more money... To me the only clear thing that stands out is they try to annoy players:
    - give meaningless rewards in all sorts of events (e.g. give me only 2 piece of a completely useless gear I already have 2000+ in an event that comes one a month)
    - make as many bad offers in shops as possible (e.g. cost of energy packs is higher than if you refresh daily, they have for sale the same useless gear I was mentioning above, cost of buying chars shards is many times higher than if you refresh node attempts)
    - unfair matchmaking in GA,
    - limit available useful gear, but give you "for free" plenty of gear you can never use.
    - same with upgrade materials (what is the reason of having the white and green ability upgrade materials?),
    - penalize you if you upgrade your characters (e.g. in GA, once it was the same for Galactic Wars)

If this is all they care about, I have some ideas about this as well, how about:
    - introduce a new type of event where they can take away one of your chars and if you want it back you can farm it again for 3-4 months
    - once a month downgrade a random char to G1
    - once a week take away all your unused gear
    - add a number of new rewards: some rare materials that are never required by any char at all, and make sure to also add them in shop and make them very expensive
  • Like I said, I am pretty sure their only idea is "frustrate players into paying money".
    I am not sure how many of you played games like StarCraft: the matchmaking there was (is) unbelievable, since like 10 years ago, and also, it you thought you made a bad decision about your play style, units upgrade path... you could change that decision 5 minutes later, in the next game. In this case, you can also change your decision about how to invest and upgrade your characters, only it takes 2 years :))