The Zeta Problem

Prev1
Ninjah9
906 posts Member
I love to play this game competitively. It's the only aspect of the game that justifies the spending of money for me. I love coming up with strategies with all the different characters. And while theory crafting with different characters, and teams I realized there are tons of characters I will virtually NEVER get to fully utilize, because of the massive time wall that is zeta farming.

There are currently over 130 zeta abilities in the game, and many more fast approaching. The reality of zeta abilities (even zetas as old as Phoenix squad) is that; unless I have a test account, i will never realistically get play with these characters full potential; until after I have farmed zetas every day for over 4 years!!!

132 zetas= 8-12 days of farming= over 4 years!!! And there are many more coming.

If characters as old as Phoenix squad are going to be obstructed by this MASSIVE TIME WALL, then CG needs to create more efficient ways to farm zetas. I understand moderating player development, but this is about playing with abilities that characters were intended to have! Either the devs should turn a lot of these older zetas into omegas, or create a more efficient way to unlock these abilities (especially for the older characters).

The recent disappointing rework of the seperatist droid faction is a perfect example of why this zeta system is ridiculous. You reworked a faction, put 6 zetas on them, and then purposely made them uncompetitive in arena!? So now in order for a player to unlock the potential of this B GRADE TEAM, they would have to invest literally MONTHS worth of progress into them!?!? Please come up with a more efficient way to unlock these character abilities.

Replies

• Tbirds01
    1235 posts Member
    I don’t get why people keep saying the GG rework can’t beat revan or that he’s uncompetitive. People have been able to take #1 with him.
    Also, have you looked into getting a test account? I’m not 100% sure, but I believe you can actually ask for one.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • Generally players get a zeta in 1-2 weeks. For Darth Revan, you will probably need 3.
    3-6 weeks zeta farm for a brand new meta char isnt the end of the world.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    It's not just zetas, shards are the same since they decided that hard nodes should be the default way to farm characters. The sad reality is that we will never get to try everything the game offers without paying obscene amounts of cash.
  • Mr_Sausage
    1869 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Tbirds01 wrote: »
    I don’t get why people keep saying the GG rework can’t beat revan or that he’s uncompetitive. People have been able to take #1 with him.

Because they parrot what other people have said with an under geared, under starred team.
  • Lio
    1003 posts Member
    Generally players get a zeta in 1-2 weeks. For Darth Revan, you will probably need 3.
    3-6 weeks zeta farm for a brand new meta char isnt the end of the world.

I think you're correct, but I think OP's point is that if you want to put zetas on different factions to test out (like I have with my scoundrels) you don't really have a chance. While I'm not particularly bitter about the grind that farming zetas is, I can see his point. I have guildmates who want to zeta other factions for fun and test them out (scoundrels, nightsisters, bh, ewoks, etc) but they've been complaining about how they just spent 60 on JKR and how they need to stockpile another 60 for Darth Revan.
  • Ninjah9 wrote: »
    I love to play this game competitively. It's the only aspect of the game that justifies the spending of money for me. I love coming up with strategies with all the different characters. And while theory crafting with different characters, and teams I realized there are tons of characters I will virtually NEVER get to fully utilize, because of the massive time wall that is zeta farming.

There are currently over 130 zeta abilities in the game, and many more fast approaching. The reality of zeta abilities (even zetas as old as Phoenix squad) is that; unless I have a test account, i will never realistically get play with these characters full potential; until after I have farmed zetas every day for over 4 years!!!

132 zetas= 8-12 days of farming= over 4 years!!! And there are many more coming.

If characters as old as Phoenix squad are going to be obstructed by this MASSIVE TIME WALL, then CG needs to create more efficient ways to farm zetas. I understand moderating player development, but this is about playing with abilities that characters were intended to have! Either the devs should turn a lot of these older zetas into omegas, or create a more efficient way to unlock these abilities (especially for the older characters).

The recent disappointing rework of the seperatist droid faction is a perfect example of why this zeta system is ridiculous. You reworked a faction, put 6 zetas on them, and then purposely made them uncompetitive in arena!? So now in order for a player to unlock the potential of this B GRADE TEAM, they would have to invest literally MONTHS worth of progress into them!?!? Please come up with a more efficient way to unlock these character abilities.

GG is much more competitive in arena compared to other reworks such as Troopers, Ewoks, Phoenix when they received their zetas, and Bounty Hunters.

It is probably the 2nd best faction rework behind Sith and Darth Maul.
  • Ninjah9
    906 posts Member
    Mr_Sausage wrote: »

Because they parrot what other people have said with an under geared, under starred team.

If he was a competitive character he would be able to hold on defense. I " take first" every day with the nightsisters...
  • Ninjah9
    906 posts Member
    Nauros wrote: »
    It's not just zetas, shards are the same since they decided that hard nodes should be the default way to farm characters. The sad reality is that we will never get to try everything the game offers without paying obscene amounts of cash.

This is my main point, but even cash wont help regarding zeta abilities...
    Mr_Sausage wrote: »

If he was a competitive character he would be able to hold on defense. I " take first" every day with the nightsisters...
    Nothing holds on defense, not even high speed Revans - just easier on attack & people pick easier fights on offense.

Poor AI & a bit of RNG means you can beat pretty much anybody on attack

I would say that's about the best aspect of zeta mats. They can only be earned by actually playing.

I think the zetas fine as they are, they are usually meant to elevate a faction that's using them so they should not be some mass-farmed items that you can throw left and right for testing purposes. Their use requires some thought snd strategy, but most importantly it depends on your play-style. You only need 60 for JKR, and 60 for DR if your main goal is arena. You also need to farm and gear a specific team for that.
    If you are more about having fun discovering synergies and collecting toons, no one stops you from using zetas for that. It only comes down whether your priority is raids, PvP or just playing however you want. If you are not competing for top 20 or even 5, the difference between top 100 and 500 rewards is not that steep. The diversity of teams and synergies you face can be huge though in a middle-arena range.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

couldn't disagree more tbh.
    While i do dislike hardnodes, always have, i do not want to be able to try everything. I want my choices to matter.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • My main thing about Zetas is some of the old ones need a buff, or converted to omegas.

There are a few really poor zetas which will never get done, but to complete a character an omega should be fine. Qui Gons leadership for example isn't Zeta worthy, but would be nice to be able to max it with an omega.

All old characters should get this treatment, while it sucks if you've spent zetas on them in the past - handing out zetas for everybody en mass isn't good for the game either. I have zetas I'd like refunded but I'll take the ability to max older toons I've not yet zeta'd over nothing.
  • More efficient as in...zetas can be bought with money? That's what I'm getting from your OP.
  • Counterpoint is many long time players regularly have 60+ mats with no one to use them on. A lot of the zetas in the game aren't very good.
  • Monel
    2784 posts Member
    Ninjah9 wrote: »

9.99 for a fully crafted zeta, sign me up

GG is much more competitive in arena compared to other reworks such as Troopers, Ewoks, Phoenix when they received their zetas, and Bounty Hunters.

It is probably the 2nd best faction rework behind Sith and Darth Maul.
    Yeah, there is a lot more in the game than just arena viability. Raid viability and the cost to gear the squad also matter, and GG rework is the worst in all of those regards. Plus the Nightsisters have had and still have better arena viability and the best raid viability, and their rework was over a year ago.
  • Gannon
    1628 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Zetas are the one thing you can't pay for (as far as I know, at least). it makes them time locked, which is really a great thing in this game. There should always be an anchor ⚓

Can you imagine if your arena or other opponents could buy zeta's and put one in every new meta instantly? That would ruin the game for many people.

As it is now, zetas are also the only way to get an idea of how long someone has been playing. Everything else can be speed up drastically with enough money.
  • Huatimus
    3669 posts Member
    Yesac wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

While i do dislike hardnodes, always have, i do not want to be able to try everything. I want my choices to matter.

I disagree with the hard node hate too. I didn’t unlock Juhani. I spaced out when she was the marquee. I started from scratch since she was made farmable a few weeks ago. Yet I am sitting at 77/100 without having spent any money. I used all my daily crystals (get 1st in squad and 4th in fleet arena) and did 40 sims a day. I also did 24 Carth sims a day and am at 81/100 with him. (Also have simmed close to 150 Plo shards in cantina with 0 refreshes of that energy a day.) All f2p. All since February 20th. Exactly 800 crystals a day. Additionally, I’ve managed to hoard 650 carbs (thanks Carth node!), 350 cuffs, 150 guns, 4 full eyeballs, 150 mkVI droid callers, and an assortment of other gear - again spending 0 cash and using all my resources in the game. The problem people have is they lack focus. If you are farming 5 characters, yeah, it will take forever. If you don’t do any refreshes, yes it will take forever. BUT, if you refresh only one time a day for 25 crystals, you cut the farm time IN HALF. Do some math, figure out how to spend your resources more wisely, focus on one thing per energy type, and you will see progress. It isn’t that you aren’t progressing when you spread everything out, it is that it is harder to see progress.

40 sim on Juhanni is a waste! It'll be cheaper to just buy off shipments by that point!
  • Yesac
    362 posts Member
    Huatimus wrote: »
    Yesac wrote: »
    leef wrote: »

I disagree with the hard node hate too. I didn’t unlock Juhani. I spaced out when she was the marquee. I started from scratch since she was made farmable a few weeks ago. Yet I am sitting at 77/100 without having spent any money. I used all my daily crystals (get 1st in squad and 4th in fleet arena) and did 40 sims a day. I also did 24 Carth sims a day and am at 81/100 with him. (Also have simmed close to 150 Plo shards in cantina with 0 refreshes of that energy a day.) All f2p. All since February 20th. Exactly 800 crystals a day. Additionally, I’ve managed to hoard 650 carbs (thanks Carth node!), 350 cuffs, 150 guns, 4 full eyeballs, 150 mkVI droid callers, and an assortment of other gear - again spending 0 cash and using all my resources in the game. The problem people have is they lack focus. If you are farming 5 characters, yeah, it will take forever. If you don’t do any refreshes, yes it will take forever. BUT, if you refresh only one time a day for 25 crystals, you cut the farm time IN HALF. Do some math, figure out how to spend your resources more wisely, focus on one thing per energy type, and you will see progress. It isn’t that you aren’t progressing when you spread everything out, it is that it is harder to see progress.

40 sim on Juhanni is a waste! It'll be cheaper to just buy off shipments by that point!

No. It isn’t. For 100 crystals I was getting 2, sometimes 3 shards. Didn’t need extra ls energy because of the daily accrual. That’s 50 crystals per shard, or 33 crystals per shard depending on rng, vs 80 crystals in shipments.
  • Seriously..not every zeta is needed or even good.

People complain about how much there is do but never think abt what they would do if they do everything there is to do. What happenes when the greyhounds actuallly catch the rabbit?
  • I agree with the editorial to 100 percent.
    There is no motivation to gear toons as phoenix or droids. Without Zetas this toons are terrible.
    But the Zetas are needed for META Toons. That's an own Goal from CG/EA
  • 50 crystals for a refresh. 100 crystals for a node refresh. Averaged minimum 2 shards per 8 sims. So on the low end shards cost 75 per shard instead of 80. If three dropped all the better
  • If you want to experiment with some of the niche and terrible zetas, just open a second account on an old phone and have at it.

You can zeta the Vets, Clone Wars Chewie, Young Lando, and Aurra Sing, and use them to beat the credit heist or something, as they still won't be viable anywhere else.
  • BeralCator wrote: »
    If you want to experiment with some of the niche and terrible zetas, just open a second account on an old phone and have at it.

You can zeta the Vets, Clone Wars Chewie, Young Lando, and Aurra Sing, and use them to beat the credit heist or something, as they still won't be viable anywhere else.

Stormtrooper, pao.

Hot topic Bastilla
  • Gannon
    1628 posts Member
    B0baf3tt wrote: »
    50 crystals for a refresh. 100 crystals for a node refresh. Averaged minimum 2 shards per 8 sims. So on the low end shards cost 75 per shard instead of 80. If three dropped all the better

Only 3 shards? 👀 that's terrible! I ran 16 attempts on fallen yesterday, got 9 shards. Today I'm only 8 attempts in with 4 shards
  • This is the way the game works and it is very intentional. You are supposed to choose what you want to focus on. There is time/pay wall for everything: shards, gear, zetas, mods
  • Gannon
    1628 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    BeralCator wrote: »
    If you want to experiment with some of the niche and terrible zetas, just open a second account on an old phone and have at it.

Sing is pretty good in STR p3. A good alternative to Chex or for extra damage. Other than that, definitely. I used to have an alt and did Cody and savage and stuff to test so I didn't waste mats on my main
  • Yesac
    362 posts Member

B0baf3tt wrote: »
    50 crystals for a refresh. 100 crystals for a node refresh. Averaged minimum 2 shards per 8 sims. So on the low end shards cost 75 per shard instead of 80. If three dropped all the better

You are misleading others. Your math doesn’t take into consideration all refreshes for the day. The 100 Crystal node refresh are the 3rd and 4th refresh of the day. By the time I do those, I’ve already done the other two at a combined cost of 75 crystals. Add that to the 150 crystals to refresh energy three times, I spend 425 crystals a day farming Juhani.

425 crystals
    40 sims
    33% droprate = 13 shards
    425 crystals / 13 shards = 33 crystals per shard.

For this particular character we need to look at daily totals in order to determine the most cost effective way to farm. It is clearly much much more cost effective to go this route.

If you only take into account my last two node refreshes for 200 crystals, plus the 50 crystals for the energy refresh, and take an average of 5 shards (33% of 16 sims), that makes the cost 50 crystals per shard, much less than the 80 crystals per shard in shipments.

There isn’t a zeta problem. It’s a you problem. Here’s your fix - don’t zeta every ability. Pick and choose which ones are right for you. There, solved it.