Sorry but, how does HK Lead 'limit the space we have to design new characters' and Revan's does not?

Prev134
SixTwoFour
13 posts Member
edited March 2019
Op title: Sorry but, how is HK Lead OP and Revan is not?

Edit: Man I wish I hadn't been lazy when writing the title. I should not have used the phrase 'op'. I wrote this same question on reddit phrased in a much longer and better way. I don't think cg think his lead is op, I understand that they are worried about loops etc.

This post was a knee **** reaction to me being annoyed at the likely HK lead nerf because he is one of the few droid leads. In retrospect I can see that HK lead might actually be holding back the Droid faction and CG has the potential to fix things for the better going forward. In truth I expect he will go from being an 'a' tier droid lead to a 'b or c' tier lead but you never know. So yeah I'm annoyed, because I don't trust cg to replace his lead with one that is even half as good, but yes I understand why they are doing it. We just want more, decent, droid leads please.

*** op ***

As someone who focuses on using droids in this game, despite their non-meta and sub-optimal status, this HK update is the worst possible news for droid users.

CG you feel HK breaks the game? I've run HK lead for nearly 2 years now and never got higher than 50. I've got decent mod sets, g12+ and all the droids. Even with the Sep rework I only know a handful of other droid enthusiasts that stay top 10 with droids, most in part staying that high due to shard chats.

Can you seriously say that HK lead, one of the only actual droid specific lead apart from GG, Poggle and CN, needs removing from the game? Do you really not want people to use anything other than the current meta? Revan's lead and ability set gives him access to nearly every power in the game, and yet HK is what you decide needs a complete rework?

I don't get or aim for top 50 in squad arena. I stay 50 to 100 and am happy there. CG you've refused to tweak the Sep rework (specifically B1) against Revan which we have accepted and now you look like you are nerfing the only other viable droid lead. Can you see why some people in the swgoh community have lost all faith in you? What happened to "This will not make or break the Droid meta"? His lead is Droid specific, how is this possibly going to affect the incoming Revan meta?

It's been no easy task to balance a HK Team with the right amount of damage and other abilities to control/finish the fight since newer Teams are more durable.

I mean: a) droids with HK wasnt Meta, even after GG Rework

b) L3 missed a Leader ability

c) C3PO offers nothing for droids

d) 4-LOM wasnt in BH pass so we expect he won't come

e) Grievous Rework doesn't break with HK lead, is specifically designed to synergise with othe sep droids, and still can't make the meta.

f) HK crit lead was already countered in many ways GK, Zarris, Rex, even Biggs at old days and even CLS is a nightmare now

g) that leaves JTR as best droid lead which is mostly for LS Droids and is an unintentional design oddity anyway

i) leaving us with Poggle and Nebit... Some of the most outdated characters in the game...
Post edited by SixTwoFour on

Replies

• Yup, this is ****. Ive made a droid Team with intention of playing them under HK. Zeta on IG, L3, T3 and IPD.now all of those zetas will be useless - especially L3 and T3 zetas. And i'll get refund for omegas of HK. ****!
  • RandomSithLord
    2325 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    To answer strictly the question, it's not OP as for now, but limits future additions.
    Just an example, but see how cooldown reduce started to appear here and there in faction synergies.
    Now droids for instance can never have that mechanic as long as there is the HK lead as it is and at least one AoE damage dealer that can crit at least twice.
    It's just a possible scenario. I'd wait to see how it all plays out before coming to a conclusion.
    Perhaps they are planning to implement new droid synergies, perhaps they just want HK to be a "forced" ally to DR. We'll find out soon enough.
  • I simply accept the fact. A 2 year old store purchase should not be meta. Unless its reworked.
    DR should be the best as its currently the hardest to get.
  • I simply accept the fact. A 2 year old store purchase should not be meta. Unless its reworked.

So many things wrong with this statement. I'm not going to go into a philosophical debate with you but I'll just say you've been brainwashed and I'm sorry.

So many things wrong with this statement. I'm not going to go into a philosophical debate with you but I'll just say you've been brainwashed and I'm sorry.

Of course you won't. Made me chuckle again.
  • As someone who has invested a significant amount into taking all their droids to 7 stars g12 plus besides droideka and b1, between the grievous rework and this I'm ready to quit this game for good. Anything for KOTOR/REVAN moneygrab but if you play because you love star wars or certain factions everything else is completely unusable. This is like picks and bans from TW except we don't get a say in it.
  • icanectc wrote: »
    One could argue revans lead is op with jedi him leading anything else is useless. Hk leadership applies to anything. And if cg creates highly advanced kits it could skew potency of whoever he leads a lot over revan. So i may be in the minority but i tend to believe cg in this case.

Sorry that's not true. Have you actually read the hk leadership?

https://swgoh.gg/characters/hk-47/
  • Maybe wait until we know what the change is before you start complaing. Anaway its good that they are going to change HK lead, the way it is now is very limiting to future droid characters, just look at Droideka and B1 both cant crit. Like they said they had 2 options, leave it and dont give droids aoe, make them unable to crit or give most of others charcters crit immunity or something like that. For me other option is way better, simply because it gives more posibiltes for future charactersa and if it left as is it might be useless for new droids anyway.
  • Reyalp
    738 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Rant rant rant rant.

The reasons are on the dev post and they are logical. The lead isnt OP, it just no longer functions with the intended direction of the game (i.e expect some toons on the future who would have created carnage under his current lead + the rework)

HK is a relic from early game where he was stuck in as a filler toon with a weak supporting cast that had one shot at glory when Jawa Engineer was a thing. Since, and before he has been useless.

He's a Kotor toon, who is an assassin droid, created by Revan, who works for Revan. I don't know why you think reworking him (which he's long overdue) to synergise with Revan is a bad thing?

If you want to play with droids they just reworked a whole bunch of them. HK is for slaying meatbags, not leading droids.
  • They never said his lead is OP. The problem with his lead is that it significantly limits what they can incorporate into new droids' kits, because under his lead there's easily the potential to create 'game-breaking' infinite loops with, for example, a Lando-type AoE.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • CadoaBane
    563 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Reyalp wrote: »
    Rant rant rant rant.

The reasons are on the dev post and they are logical. The lead isnt OP, it just no longer functions with the intended direction of the game (i.e expect some toons on the future who would have created carnage under his current lead + the rework)

HK is a relic from early game where he was stuck in as a filler toon with a weak supporting cast that had one shot at glory when Jawa Engineer was a thing. Since, and before he has been useless.

He's a Kotor toon, who is an assassin droid, created by Revan, who works for Revan. I don't know why you think reworking him (which he's long overdue) to synergise with Revan is a bad thing?

If you want to play with droids they just reworked a whole bunch of them. HK is for slaying meatbags, not leading droids.
    That's the point that needs to be discussed. I can see their intentions, and how they define what would be a "logical" solution, but to me it is not logical at all.
    1.) A rework should make a character better, not worse. At least that's what most players expect. removing HKs leadership ability will break a lot of (not meta, but GA viable) droid teams.
    2.) There's nothing wrong with adding synergy for Darth Revan, he built him. But the droid synergy could have been left untouched for everyone who won't get Darth Revan so soon, and for everyone who just loved playing with droids. I just can't see how it would be "game-breaking" even if droids became arena viable to a certain degree. At best it would lead to more variation and balance.
    3.) There is no alternative to use instead of HK-47 for all droids. Grievous only works for separatists.

• Seeing the new HK's lead and tried yet?
  • Nema
    136 posts Member
    When T3 came out we were promised they'd be meta. Not yet, but eventually. So I put them to g12 and put zetas on them all. And I've waited. Steps came and despite false claims they are crap. We've been told they're good for GA but my droids already dominated anything not Revan, traya or CLS. Now apparently they won't be able to do that. So when exactly are we getting this droid meta.
  • All hk lead takes is for them to create a droid with an aoe that gets abilities reduced for each crit and and get them soloing whole teams from infinite loops so in a way it limits the drouds so if u want more droids and a bigger diversity in droids especially in type of abilities he needs a rework

Plus they didnt say they where removing it just leaning towards reworking his lead
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    The reason is probably infinite loops in raids. Characters can accomodate (GK, Crit avoidance...), but there is no way to do it in raids without shutting down other, non-problematic teams.
  • Nema wrote: »
    When T3 came out we were promised they'd be meta. Not yet, but eventually. So I put them to g12 and put zetas on them all. And I've waited. Steps came and despite false claims they are crap. We've been told they're good for GA but my droids already dominated anything not Revan, traya or CLS. Now apparently they won't be able to do that. So when exactly are we getting this droid meta.

There was no such promise. CG made a vague ambiguous statement which everyone who loves droids interpreted as a promise because that's what they wanted to hear.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Reyalp
    738 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    CadoaBane wrote: »
    Rant rant rant rant.

That's the point that needs to be discussed. I can see their intentions, and how they define what would be a "logical" solution, but to me it is not logical at all.
    1.) A rework should make a character better, not worse. At least that's what most players expect. removing HKs leadership ability will break a lot of (not meta, but GA viable) droid teams.
    2.) There's nothing wrong with adding synergy for Darth Revan, he built him. But the droid synergy could have been left untouched for everyone who won't get Darth Revan so soon, and for everyone who just loved playing with droids. I just can't see how it would be "game-breaking" even if droids became arena viable to a certain degree. At best it would lead to more variation and balance.
    3.) There is no alternative to use instead of HK-47 for all droids. Grievous only works for separatists.

On point one, we haven't even seen the rework yet. For all we know he could be an absolute slayer with Darth Revan. Then one could argue it has made him better.

Second point, they gave their reason! Keeping his leader in won't work with future content. Either this means a) new toons will be able to manipulate HKs lead to create unintended consequences of b.) They intend to do other things with droids. It's probably a combination of both.

Thirdly, the other droids only half worked with HK lead because it was the only viable lead. IG for example is great under Boba or Bossk lead (bounty hunters) and R2, Bb8 work best supporting other factions (rebels/resistance). The same could be said for IPD - better under Empire lead than Hk
  • Aydnie
    432 posts Member
    They need to completely rework all the droids. I feel like every droid of this game had a nerf because of hk's lead and now that it will be removed droids will just be bad
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I'm glad atleast some people in this thread apear to have read and understood crumb's post.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Usually, an OP lead is a lead that you can get for free and that could be a threat for leads you have to pay for, or for stuff you're likely to pay for in general. Do you still have to learn this?
  • Reyalp wrote: »
    Rant rant rant rant.

On point one, we haven't even seen the rework yet. For all we know he could be an absolute slayer with Darth Revan. Then one could argue it has made him better.

Second point, they gave their reason! Keeping his leader in won't work with future content. Either this means a) new toons will be able to manipulate HKs lead to create unintended consequences of b.) They intend to do other things with droids. It's probably a combination of both.

Thirdly, the other droids only half worked with HK lead because it was the only viable lead. IG for example is great under Boba or Bossk lead (bounty hunters) and R2, Bb8 work best supporting other factions (rebels/resistance). The same could be said for IPD - better under Empire lead than Hk

1.) Sure, he'll probably be great under Darth Revan, but HKs leader ability is kind of sacrificed without a direct alternative to use as droid lead. Maybe it's just a timing problem, nevertheless it has an impact.
    2.) In your previous post, you called it "logical" and that was what I disagreed with. Even if they are going to add other droids anytime later, that would not be of any help right now. We already have 16 droids, what we need would be at least one more of them getting a leader ability that works for all droids. Then they should have done it a while before the HK rework. I would still like to know, even if there could come a time when HKs lead would make other characters arena viable or even meta counters: how would anyone call that "game-breaking" when it would only lead to more variety and therefore balance, instead of only 1 meta in the top 20-50.
    3.) What you forget is modes like 3v3 grand arena. I got used to setting HK, T3 and Chopper for defense, and the team was never beaten on first try, I guess because people underestimated it and threw something too weak against it. It was a great way to strategically use all left-over droids that I did not use anymore on the other faction teams. Sabine is better than Chopper in a Phoenix squad, for Old Republic same will go for T3 as soon as my Juhani will be strong enough, just to give these 2 examples. Besides that, don't think every player is a veteran and has all the characters. HKs lead offered a plug'n'play option that will be highly missed. And again, it would all be no problem at all if there was a true alternative.
  • They never said his lead is OP. The problem with his lead is that it significantly limits what they can incorporate into new droids' kits, because under his lead there's easily the potential to create 'game-breaking' infinite loops with, for example, a Lando-type AoE.

This. What everyone complaining about how changing his lead will ruin droids doesn’t understand is that HK’s lead is precisely what has been holding droids back for so long. He gives so much turn meter that there’s too fine a line between mediocre and invincible for droids to get any truly powerful toons without them specifically being designed to not work with HK (like B1). This will open up opportunities to make droid teams much more useful in many aspects of the game.
  • CadoaBane wrote: »
    Rant rant rant rant.

1.) Sure, he'll probably be great under Darth Revan, but HKs leader ability is kind of sacrificed without a direct alternative to use as droid lead. Maybe it's just a timing problem, nevertheless it has an impact.
    2.) In your previous post, you called it "logical" and that was what I disagreed with. Even if they are going to add other droids anytime later, that would not be of any help right now. We already have 16 droids, what we need would be at least one more of them getting a leader ability that works for all droids. Then they should have done it a while before the HK rework. I would still like to know, even if there could come a time when HKs lead would make other characters arena viable or even meta counters: how would anyone call that "game-breaking" when it would only lead to more variety and therefore balance, instead of only 1 meta in the top 20-50.
    3.) What you forget is modes like 3v3 grand arena. I got used to setting HK, T3 and Chopper for defense, and the team was never beaten on first try, I guess because people underestimated it and threw something too weak against it. It was a great way to strategically use all left-over droids that I did not use anymore on the other faction teams. Sabine is better than Chopper in a Phoenix squad, for Old Republic same will go for T3 as soon as my Juhani will be strong enough, just to give these 2 examples. Besides that, don't think every player is a veteran and has all the characters. HKs lead offered a plug'n'play option that will be highly missed. And again, it would all be no problem at all if there was a true alternative.

1.) Like he said we dont know what the changes are, so there is o way to know how it impacts anything.

2.)Not all 16 droids need a droid leader, but you are right we could use some new droid leaders. At the same time until we know how HK leader is changed there is no reason to cry about it.

3.) Same as other 2 points, wait and then if its bad complain.
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    They never said his lead is OP. The problem with his lead is that it significantly limits what they can incorporate into new droids' kits, because under his lead there's easily the potential to create 'game-breaking' infinite loops with, for example, a Lando-type AoE.

This. What everyone complaining about how changing his lead will ruin droids doesn’t understand is that HK’s lead is precisely what has been holding droids back for so long. He gives so much turn meter that there’s too fine a line between mediocre and invincible for droids to get any truly powerful toons without them specifically being designed to not work with HK (like B1). This will open up opportunities to make droid teams much more useful in many aspects of the game.

Not to mention that his lead is getting reworked, not scrapped. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing what they come up with and what it will mean for Droids as a faction.

All droids were either built around with HK in mind (86, 88 getting crit synergy) or like B1 and droideka, which were built around not getting crits because of HK. Changing HK’s leader ruins a lot of the droid faction built around crits while not fixing any of the droids that were built to not get crits. I will bet my life savings that B1 will never get reworked to not be able to crit even though the reason why they did that is gone.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    They never said his lead is OP. The problem with his lead is that it significantly limits what they can incorporate into new droids' kits, because under his lead there's easily the potential to create 'game-breaking' infinite loops with, for example, a Lando-type AoE.

Not to mention that his lead is getting reworked, not scrapped. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing what they come up with and what it will mean for Droids as a faction.

Probably going to nerf him and make his Current leader ability a zeta ability, with a few more bonuses, like target lock and bonus protection, etc.
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    Simple solution... bring in Blue Max!
  • Oh and OP, Revan isn't OP because he wasn't F2P for 90% of the community the first go around. He makes then money so of course he's stronger than HK, who is 100% F2P and makes no money for the company.