SWGOH

Replies

• G1975 wrote: »
    How do you fight and defeat a Rancor?!!! I can't do the same thing Luke did ROJ!!! George

The rancor is designed to be beaten by an entire guild of lower-level players, not just you on your own. For now, get your battles in and don't worry too much about the damage you do, you can always go again tomorrow. Between you and your guild you'll get it down.

Success in the early game requires focusing on a good team. You're probably using the same characters you get at the start - Luke, cheque, Talia, jedi consular, clone sergeant? They're quite weak and their kits don't mesh well together. You'll be much better off trying to get the Phoenix characters. They're all readily accessible - Hera and Ezra are on early cantina nodes, chopper is in the cantina store, Zeb is in the galactic war store and kanan is in the arena store. That team has good synergy and together are greater than the sum of their parts.

Another thing to note is that you want your main team to be as high gear and as high level as you can manage. There's no point levelling all of your characters to 35 and gear 4 if it means you run out of supplies. Better to have 5 at level 43 and gear 5.

You might have to replay some earlier nodes to get enough credits and gear to make it through.

Make sure you do all of your daily activities - the rewards will boost your resources significantly.

Also my ally code is 533-138-384 - add me as an ally and you can occasionally use my characters like you used bastila. If you message me, I'll put enfys nest in that slot - I reckon she can probably single-handed lyrics clear every node even if your other characters die.

How do you choose what hero shows for allys?
  • G1975
    110 posts Member
    Unfortunately DuneSeaFarmer that's all the players I have unless I spend money to get better ones or wait until I have earned enough points to unlock them. George
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    G1975 wrote: »
    Unfortunately DuneSeaFarmer that's all the players I have unless I spend money to get better ones or wait until I have earned enough points to unlock them. George

Well, that's the point that is being made though...you focus and work towards getting the shards to unlock the specific characters you need. The game is definitely a grind. There are people who have been playing for 3 years and definitely don't have everything maxed (because of the continual adding of new characters I should probably add). But if you advance enough, even as a free to play, you can max star a character in a few weeks these days.

Whether you spend or not, the game requires at least some daily time commitment to be competitive. If you just want to be casual, make peace with that and enjoy the things you can do in game. If you are committed to at least some daily play, you also want to get out of any Starter Guild you're in and join an actively managed one.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited March 2019

Fair point. I really hope CG looks at this, as well as EA and Disney. New players haven't a chance. Not everyone was born a gamer, with boundless experience and knowledge of how to do things. But it's easier to just ignore it and eat hot pockets and watch daytime tv.

George, I am proof you can build a good roster and not spend one thin dime. All I have invested is time. Hang in their, you'll get there. Look for a real guild and not a robo guild. That will help you tremendously.

Few tips:

1) Spend gems on energy refreshes and gear only. NEVER BUY PACKS! EVER!
    2) Ignore the meta for now. Flavor of the month squads, etc. Just stay focused on one squad at a time.
    3) Never be afraid to come here and ask for help or information. Ignore the "Elite Players", they like reading the stuff they type. Makes them feel important.
  • To choose who your ally can pick for 6th spot: Go into each battle, LS, DS, cantina, and fight with the leader in the squad that you want your ally to get.
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    I've been playing SWGOH since last May for almost a year now and the game has had it's ups and downs. I'm currently on level 43 but I'm making little progress in Light, Dark side and Cantina battles. I'm also fighting in Fleet Commander training Grand Moff Tarkin to unlock another ship but it's very hard!!! I also made the stupid mistake of buying crystals once thinking it would help me out but it didn't!!! The game has become very frustrating and aggravating especially since I have no one to help me. I have reached out to people on YouTube and Instagram who play the game but they haven't given me much help, unless I get better players or spend money. George

Start over
    Read forums/watch YouTube
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • To choose who your ally can pick for 6th spot: Go into each battle, LS, DS, cantina, and fight with the leader in the squad that you want your ally to get.

Interesting, I did not know that.
  • I'd recommend doing your daily quests, that will give you around 1000 free experience. Replay the easy nodes if you need to in order to do so. Also, you can replay all the old nodes to acquire the gear you need to get your characters to higher gear tiers. There are a lot of "gates" in this game which can only be passed by slowly improving your team. Once you get to level 50, you will unlock mods, which are a game changer. Upgrade mods with speed on them (and make sure you have at least 5 arrow mods with a speed primary, that you can switch to whatever team you're using).
    TLDR: Do dailies, gear up your characters, and you'll eventually be able to pass whatever walls you're hitting.
  • G1975
    110 posts Member
    Someone on SWGOH news Instagram page told me farm boy Luke Skywalker with his rifle was a good player to have and I thought it was lame because I want Luke with a lightsaber. George
    Someone on SWGOH news Instagram page told me farm boy Luke Skywalker with his rifle was a good player to have and I thought it was lame because I want Luke with a lightsaber. George

If memory serves, you will need Farmboy Luke, Leia, Stormtrooper Han, Old Ben, and R2D2, to be able to enter the event to get Commander Luke Skywalker. He has a light saber but no jedi tag yet.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member

If memory serves, you will need Farmboy Luke, Leia, Stormtrooper Han, Old Ben, and R2D2, to be able to enter the event to get Commander Luke Skywalker. He has a light saber but no jedi tag yet.
    You need 5 7* Empire to get 7* R2.

Then you need 7* Farmboy, Princess, Old Ben, Stormtrooper Han and R2 to get Commander Luke Skywalker.

Most people precede that by getting 5 7* Phoenix to obtain Emperor Palpatine and Grand Admiral Thrawn for the Empire squad.
  • G1975
    110 posts Member
    I'm sick and tired of Cantina battles!!! I've been stuck on Holotable 3-D for 2 months now and no matter how hard I try I can't win!!!!! I sometimes think EA does this deliberately to make the game soo impossible to advance!!! George
  • FailingCrab
    1155 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I'm sick and tired of Cantina battles!!! I've been stuck on Holotable 3-D for 2 months now and no matter how hard I try I can't win!!!!! I sometimes think EA does this deliberately to make the game soo impossible to advance!!! George

As I said, you need to farm gear pieces from the light side and dark side tables and equip those to your characters to get them stronger. Otherwise you'll never clear the tables.

I also recommend not even worrying about progressing further in cantina until you have unlocked Hera from the stage 1 cantina and Ezra from stage 2. Phoenix squad will seriously improve your performance at this stage of the game.

Also, there's a website called swgoh.gg. I recommend you make an account there and link it to your game profile. It will let you show us your characters.
    https://swgoh.gg/u/ionastarbound/
    Discord: Iona Starbound#5299
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    leef wrote: »
    You've been playing for almost a year and you're only level 43?

"A life..." Some people have one lol

I mean true, but just doing the daily activities checklist should get someone to 85 in way less than a year, I'd think. And that doesn't take very long, except Galactic War early on.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• G1975
    110 posts Member
    Yesterday when I entered the Rancor pit instead of fighting the creature my players were outside Jabba's palace fighting the Gamorreans!!! It was 3 of them with a leader carrying a staff to bring back the other 2 back to life, I fought as hard as I could but I couldn't win. You have to defeat the Gamorreans before fighting the Rancor again?
  • crzydroid
    7254 posts Moderator
    Yesterday when I entered the Rancor pit instead of fighting the creature my players were outside Jabba's palace fighting the Gamorreans!!! It was 3 of them with a leader carrying a staff to bring back the other 2 back to life, I fought as hard as I could but I couldn't win. You have to defeat the Gamorreans before fighting the Rancor again?

That's phase 1 of the rancor raid. There are four phases of each raid. In the Pit, the last three are the rancor. Each time a pit raid is completed, if the guild has earned enough tickets, a new one can be opened.

Again, like someone else said, it is not intended that you defeat it by yourself. It is a guild event. While it is possible at higher levels to do it yourself, for where you are right now it is working as intended. Just do as much damage as possible and keep farming good teams.

Check out the Guild Recruitment section of the forums to try and get in a good guild run by actual humans if you are still in a starter guild.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I MIGHT know of a place for you (Real Guild). Let me reach out and see if they have any openings. Try here for advice on modding your heros. https://gaming-fans.com/swgoh-101/swgoh-101-comprehensive-mod-guide/

CG, pay attention here. For every one player that voices his issues like this, many, many more are just walking away.
  • DuneSeaFarmer
    3525 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    George, I spoke to our development guild, they raid often etc. He is happy to help you along and will send you an ally invite then you can co-ordinate joining his guild. This way you have others to help with advice etc when you need it. :) The guild is "Dathomir Social Club". Watch for his invite.
  • G1975
    110 posts Member
    DuneSeaFarmer thank you to you and Dathomir Social Club to lending me those level 85 players to help me out last night in the game. Fighting the Gamorreans again in the Rancor pit I still wasn't able to win but I'm still trying. George
    DuneSeaFarmer thank you to you and Dathomir Social Club to lending me those level 85 players to help me out last night in the game. Fighting the Gamorreans again in the Rancor pit I still wasn't able to win but I'm still trying. George

Glad to help :)
  • papy72
    182 posts Member

Glad to help :)

Props to you Dune for going above and beyond for someone!
  • G1975
    110 posts Member
    Duneseafarmer thanks again for the level 85 players last night for helping me, I've gone as far as I can in Light and Cantina battles until I reach the next level. I still haven't been able to win against the Gamorreans in the Rancor pit or make any headway in Fleet Commander training Grand Moff Tarkin to unlock another ship, still not doing well in Dark side battles either. I unlocked another player but it's not what I wanted, Sith Marauder. I still want Jyn Erso but I have to wait until I reach level 75 or pay to unlock her. George
  • CG, pay attention here. For every one player that voices his issues like this, many, many more are just walking away.
    I very much agree with you here. If it wasn't for spending literally hours reading about mods, watching youtube and forum lurking; I wouldn't have had a clue what was going on with this game. Since a year ago (when I started) we've had loads of new toons, new game modes, changes to ships/mods, reworks etc.

I'm not complaining about new content, just saying, it's a little bewildering to new players without a lot of digging outside of the game. I seriously don't think I'd still be playing if it wasn't for my crystal income from arenas as progress without refreshes is absolutely glacial. Without this forum, youtube and sites like crouching rancor, gaming fans etc. I would not enjoying it at all and thus have walked away.
  • G1975
    110 posts Member
    I played last night that Scourge of the Old Republic to unlock Darth Revan and it was amazing!!! I never would have imagined being Revan, unfortunately it was brief and to go to the next tier I promote and upgrade characters that I don't have. I'm a big fan of Knights of the Old Republic so this was very enjoyable. George
  • It just takes time. One of the things that hurts new players is even in a good guild, members can only help with advice. In a mmorpg we could show up and really help.
  • G1975
    110 posts Member
    I'm still fighting in the Rancor pit but instead of fighting the Gamorreans I'm fighting the creature again. It's very hard but it's fun, also still trying to unlock another ship in Fleet Commander training Grand Moff Tarkin but it's hopeless because of how hard it is. George
  • G1975
    110 posts Member
    I've been fighting in Fleet Commander training Grand Moff Tarkin for 2 months now and still can't win!!!! Is it so important to unlock another ship I don't know because I still can't take part in space battles until I'm in level 60. George
  • G1975
    110 posts Member
    Duneseafarmer is their any advice you could give me for how to win in tier 3 of Fleet Commander training Grand Moff Tarkin? I'd appreciate it. George
  • Who do you have to fight in that one, and what characters are you using on your team?
  • Sorry, I am not as up on fleet as others, in fact working on my ships myself.
This discussion has been closed.