Grand arena match-up sucks

Anyone else finding grand arena just sucks balls. The squad requirements are beyond my capabilities, I don't even bother as I find it makes the game really unenjoyable. It's really pointless and just another TW. I was excited when I thought it might be live PvP, but what's the point in a mini TW. Just time wasting

Replies

• You are matched up with players of almost identical GP, not sure how you you have difficulties your opponents don't have....
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I find the number of squads to be set on defense adequate - both for my main and my alt (different number of squads).
  • TB doesn’t require you to have every toon in the game... bounty hunters are needed for some missions, but they also have a lot more other uses. Phoenix is needed for a few missions but you need them for Thrawn anyways. Imperial troopers are needed but they’re a killer team on offense, especially against nightsisters.
  • TB doesn’t require you to have every toon in the game... bounty hunters are needed for some missions, but they also have a lot more other uses. Phoenix is needed for a few missions but you need them for Thrawn anyways. Imperial troopers are needed but they’re a killer team on offense, especially against nightsisters.

IT isnt the killer team against NS as they were before. U need to match gear levels and mods more closely than before ever since the zombie rework
  • DarjeloSalas
    9944 posts Member
    edited December 2018
    What would make a fair match up?

A lot of people on these forums seem to think a “fair” match up is one they can easily win.

Post edited by Sunnie1978 on
  • I would like character GP separated from ship GP and matched accordingly. That way, whether it is a mixed squad and fleet round, or it's just one or the other, I can be assured of hitting an opponent most similar to me.

Thanks for considering!
  • Even better than just matching char GP is actually calculating the GP of the top number of characters you can use in the GA. for the squads of 3, it is 16 squads or 48 char. Calc the GP of the players' top 48 char for matching. This is because some players have more spread out their char power while others have concentrated it in fewer characters - well before GA was even around. Having concentrated power is a huge advantage. So the people who are developing all their characters so they can help their guilds with trench battles and take part in more special events get punished for doing so. The more the game can encourage win by battle skill/strategy and less by brute force, the better it will be.
  • I agree with OP, I am being matched up based on total GP and not just squad GP for this latest 3v3 even though there are no ships involved. There are three players with squad GPs that range between 200-300k higher
  • Liath
    5140 posts Member
    Even better than just matching char GP is actually calculating the GP of the top number of characters you can use in the GA. for the squads of 3, it is 16 squads or 48 char. Calc the GP of the players' top 48 char for matching. This is because some players have more spread out their char power while others have concentrated it in fewer characters - well before GA was even around. Having concentrated power is a huge advantage. So the people who are developing all their characters so they can help their guilds with trench battles and take part in more special events get punished for doing so. The more the game can encourage win by battle skill/strategy and less by brute force, the better it will be.

There is no top number of characters you can use in the GA. You can use 5 different teams against one squad each taking out one character before losing. Somebody with no extra teams available for backup should he lose a fight is not in the same position as somebody who does have extra good teams.
  • Liath wrote: »
    Even better than just matching char GP is actually calculating the GP of the top number of characters you can use in the GA. for the squads of 3, it is 16 squads or 48 char. Calc the GP of the players' top 48 char for matching. This is because some players have more spread out their char power while others have concentrated it in fewer characters - well before GA was even around. Having concentrated power is a huge advantage. So the people who are developing all their characters so they can help their guilds with trench battles and take part in more special events get punished for doing so. The more the game can encourage win by battle skill/strategy and less by brute force, the better it will be.

There is no top number of characters you can use in the GA. You can use 5 different teams against one squad each taking out one character before losing. Somebody with no extra teams available for backup should he lose a fight is not in the same position as somebody who does have extra good teams.

Meh, not so much, unless you have a bunch of comparably geared low synergy toons floating around that can withstand whatever barrage they need to withstand long enough to kill one toon. I understand your point, but I don't see it happening in reality for most rosters and competitions.

I think there is *some* merit to doing something along these lines as an alternate to the current approach. Maybe there's a balance to be found (2x the number of required toons, or 1.5x the number of required toons). This wouldn't excessively penalize or favor either width or breadth, but could find a nice middle ground.

• Meh, not so much, unless you have a bunch of comparably geared low synergy toons floating around that can withstand whatever barrage they need to withstand long enough to kill one toon. I understand your point, but I don't see it happening in reality for most rosters and competitions.

But isnt that what the people complaining about “fluff” are saying? That they have a bunch of toons geared to g8 that they can’t use - but actually they could.

• Meh, not so much, unless you have a bunch of comparably geared low synergy toons floating around that can withstand whatever barrage they need to withstand long enough to kill one toon. I understand your point, but I don't see it happening in reality for most rosters and competitions.

But isnt that what the people complaining about “fluff” are saying? That they have a bunch of toons geared to g8 that they can’t use - but actually they could.

While they technically "can" use them - it's futile. For example A 3v3 G12 full zeta CLS, Han, Chewbacca team will defeat pretty much an endless hoard of G8 characters - the G8s are for all intents and purposes useless. Likewise for many other G12 teams, using lower level teams for fodder in most cases accomplishes nothing.
  • EgoSlayer wrote: »

Meh, not so much, unless you have a bunch of comparably geared low synergy toons floating around that can withstand whatever barrage they need to withstand long enough to kill one toon. I understand your point, but I don't see it happening in reality for most rosters and competitions.

While they technically "can" use them - it's futile. For example A 3v3 G12 full zeta CLS, Han, Chewbacca team will defeat pretty much an endless hoard of G8 characters - the G8s are for all intents and purposes useless. Likewise for many other G12 teams, using lower level teams for fodder in most cases accomplishes nothing.

So let me ask u - are geonosians fluff?
  • EgoSlayer wrote: »

So let me ask u - are geonosians fluff?

It depends, are you 3M+ GP and they are G7? Yes. Are they G12 and you have their ships maxed and there is fleet battles? No. Nothing is fluff just because it's a particular faction, it's fluff if it's unusable for the game mode which is highly dependent on gear level and your GP bracket.
  • Thank you EgoSlayer - exactly my point.

If a team is significantly weaker - it will do no damage. In some cases, the other team can gain back health and protection when you throw weaker teams at it.

You also gain less points for 2nd and 3rd attempts, further reducing the likelihood of winning by throwing multiple teams at a single enemy. If your opponent has exactly the right number of strong teams and wins on first attempts while you have many slightly weaker teams, you will lose the match because you need multiple attempts.

I know that picking the right squads is key, as some squads counter others better and gain bonuses against specific factions. However, strategy becomes moot when a team is far outmatched.

btw - I have won GA three times, so these comments do not come from a place of bitterness. I design algorithms for a dev team as part of my job. My comments come from a place of objective constructive criticism.

• Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    What would make a fair match up?

A lot of people on these forums seem to think a “fair” match up is one they can easily win.

My main complaint before was that Revan was a huge difference maker so if you didn't get him the first time around you were in for a rough time. When new game changing characters are released this problem may keep showing back up.

My other complaint that is a common one is that players are essentially punished now for filling out their roster. In the past with Territory War this was encouraged. Maybe, for players that have a certain number of gear 11s and 12s then lower gear level characters will not count towards the GP in matching. This would be my suggestion to explore as a potential improvement.