Please make Darth Revan extremely hard to get

Replies

• StarSon
    7405 posts Member
    TheRHOMBUS wrote: »
    Gluckychou wrote: »
    ....we didn't expect Revan to be such a decisive character in many aspects of the game. We won't do the same mistake another time.

I’m with you on that.
    I can’t help but feel this is how They want us to be thinking.

What do you mean? Because they always want you ready to farm the next thing for free?
  • Chima
    113 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Jamesm wrote: »
    Chima wrote: »
    It's a hero journey like JKR, so the difficulty must be the same G8-G9, or it will not make any sense.
    If you got the shards (toons) early it doesn't justify creating a gear check to this.
    Keep the journeys as they are, storytelling focus.
    CGs wording says otherwise. I fully expect 3po/chewie level difficulty. Hoping for harder.

Well, as I said doesn't make any sense. Heroes journeys are made with a selected group of characters to tell a story, isn't the same for Chewie or C3PO that you can use any BH or Ewoks, a lot of people already had those characters G12. The sentence "It will be a very difficult task to reclaim the Sith throne." fits to the people that are not going for the first attempt to get him.
    There are characters with only one node to farm and Carth Onasi is available in fleet battle only if I just consider this fact it's a "very difficult task to reclaim the Sith throne".

Again, isn't an easy farm actually is harder than JKR since you can get 3 toons in 2 different places.

Also, if they are going to make it a gear check, there's no reason to go for Darth Revan unless Revan has no chance to beat Darth Revan. Otherwise is better to get Revan since it's an easiest event and can still beating Darth Revan and take a good place in the arena squad.

So there are no excuses to make it a gear check event. Not at all.

• It would make no sense to make the Darth Revan event too difficult. If the regular Jedi Knight Revan only required g8-g10 why would Darth Revan (A journey event) be even harder?
  • Liath wrote: »
    CazNeerg wrote: »
    Liath wrote: »
    leef wrote: »
    I agree with the OP. This guys shouldn’t be a F2P toons so now Arena is flooded with Darth Revans. This needs to be a difficult event.

The only people that are upset about this post are typically the ones that haven’t dropped a dime on this game.

And those late to the farm party.

It doesn't need to be difficult to not be available to truly free players. Actually free players don't have developed enough squads to earn the necessary amount of free crystals to complete the Carth farm, regardless of whether they finish the others. Those that claim they do (if there are any) are probably full of it.

It's hard if you've been playing for 3+ years, but not as hard as you may think. Obviously you need to finish high in arena and you need to have started farming carth (with a node refresh) when he was made farmable, which eliminates the overwhelming majority of f2p players, so in that sense it's difficult.
    However, ever since the JKR release it became clear you needed to hoard alot of crystals if you didn't want to miss the next big release. Quite a few f2p players, myself included, did exactly that. I'm at 40/100 on carth and 17/100 on juhani with still 27.4k crystals left.

I'm just skeptical that it's "quite a few" free players. I don't think there are that many who would ever even think to hoard crystals. I think a lot of people who don't understand how atypical their behavior is are making baseless assumptions about what level of attention other people pay to likely future character releases, and what level of preparation they are willing to commit to.

I also don't think people who spent a lot of money in the past in order to get to the position where they can earn lots of "free" crystals should be called "F2P" just because they may not have spent money directly on a given farm.

It depends on your definition of “quite a few,” but there’s a very big difference between saying “not that many people can or will actually do this” and saying that the people who say they have done it are “probably full of it.”

It depends on how you define free. Not many can or will manage to unlock Darth Revan without spending money on doing so, but the ones I am categorizing as "probably full of it" are the ones who would claim to be "free players" who are unlocking Darth Revan. I wouldn't consider someone who has spent a bunch of money in the past in order to reach the point where they have a substantial crystal income to be a free player just because they aren't *currently* spending money. They are just paid players who did their paying earlier.

I define free to play the same way you do. And if you think there are zero people who will get Darth Revan for free and have never spent a single penny on this game, you are flat out wrong. It may not fit your definition of “quite a few” but we do exist and we are not full of it.

I didn't say zero; I said people making the claim are *probably* full of it. To my mind, that qualifier doesn't mean 100% of them are full of it, it means that the number of people actually hitting that accomplishment is likely to be a lot lower than the number of people claiming it, and as a percentage of the total number of people unlocking Darth Revan, those who are truly free players is probably statistically insignificant.
    It would make no sense to make the Darth Revan event too difficult. If the regular Jedi Knight Revan only required g8-g10 why would Darth Revan (A journey event) be even harder?

This. It is the dark side equivalent of an already existing light side event. For it to be harder wouldn't make sense.
  • Remember, they don't change the difficulty of these events between the first run and repeats. The entire basis of the argument for making DR harder than JKR is that you don't want too many people unlocking him on the first run, but the solution proposed would make is so DR is *always* harder to get than JKR, every time the events return. And there is no rational basis for that to be the case.
  • StarSon
    7405 posts Member
    TheRHOMBUS wrote: »
    I mean ... They are in our heads.
    Everyone seems like they have been saving for DarthRevan since LS Revan was released.

In fact, it seems like a majority of voices have been saying that they will continue to save. They don’t want to miss out on the next game breaking char.

“Waiting till the second release” seems less an option these days. But should it? Who said every char has to be meta defining.

There are 170 chars in this game. They have not all been meta defining. They will add plenty more that aren't meta defining. And, of the last 4 Legendary/Journey events, only 2 of them were meta defining, so even those aren't all meta defining.
  • Darthvestor_80
    484 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Stop crying, games aren't free to make so why would they cater to free to play
  • Reyalp wrote: »
    usArmyJedi wrote: »
    See that’s why I need there to be a huge ceiling for this one. I’ve been playing this game since beta and have been contributing to this game for years. I’m 60k GP away from 5M. Some shmuck that just joined the game with 2m GP should not be able to compete with me for FREE. My 3 fastest mod sets are +162, +151, +143. There should be 0 reason why someone with 2m GP and half as good as mods as I should be overtaking me in arena just cause they feel like they are entitled to get DR for free. Make it difficult, very difficult. And make some sort of paywall.

This is up there with one of the most arrogant comments I've seen on this forum.

I don't know why that is arrogance? We all play this game for a challenge...if you take the challenge and difficult away...it defeats the purpose of playing the game.
  • usArmyJedi wrote: »
    Anyone hope the difficulty is really really up there. Harder than Chewbacca and harder than C-3PO? I’ve had Carth, Juhani, BSF, and Canderous g12’d and zeta’d for months now. So maybe I’m biased to say but I’m really not looking forward to starting off the DR meta similar to what we have now due to how much time players have gotten to farm these characters. If the requirement is not up there (at least g11-12 and a zeta or 2) then I foresee DR meta starting off at 60-70% of meta on the first release. Please don’t reward FTP with 4-6 months of viablity.

I think you're one of those guys who thinks that throwing thousands of dollars in a game means knowing how to play, but don't worry, it's pretty common to people who never did a competitive sport

I’m a whale and I know how to play. Just because someone wants an event to be hard or has money to buy certain toons doesn’t mean they can’t play the game.

The most dangerous player is one who has money who also knows how to play the game!

Let me explain you my point, since it seems it's necessary.
    If someone pays to get an advantage in a game like this it's his choice. It's even right that is so, since development costs money, and the staff doesn't work for free, and to be fair f2ps in games like this are just victims to the ego of whales.
    But when someone like this wishes for a new character to be extremely hard to get, it usually implies that even paying he's getting paved by f2p or dolphins.
    And again, when you want even MORE advantages over f2p than the ones you already have, like making it impossible to get him even only at 5* for f2p, in my opinion you're someone I pity.
    I hope I was clear enough for you now.there's simply no need to make things even worse for f2ps, because whales already have it EXTREMELY easy.
    Have fun mate (and just to be clear, I am not a f2p)
  • Not to sound like a broken record, but this game is a FTP model with the option of making purchases. For those of you that just can't simply play the game without having to have the "newest shiney" all maxed out 5 mins after it comes out, maybe take a step back from that and try it without spending your child's college fund.

I'm not totally FTP, I do spend around $50/month so I'm not on anyone's side here. The problem I see is that the PTP people have made the game too easy for themselves and feel that they don't have a challenge or feel that because they have shelled out a small countries fortune to have that "new shiney" before anyone else, that all other people who don't PTP shouldn't have a chance at getting that same reward. Well, suck it up buttercup. As has been said before, without the FTP people this game wouldn't be anywhere near what it is today. You have to have balance in the rewards across all players. This is extremely hard to do with a FTP with purchase options. There will always be a portion of the player base who isn't happy.

I guess I have just one question for the PTP people, does it make your ego feel better to spend the national debt on the game every month?

Do yourselves a favor and try not spending money for a month or 2 and play the FTP way. Or even limit yourself, as I have, on what you spend per month. Try cutting down to half your amount or even 1/4 of what you normally spend. You will have the challenge back and maybe stop thinking that everyone should spend their life savings like you do to get what everyone has the opportunity too get anyway.
  • I have spent some but not a lot of money on this game. For me, it is a matter of focus and priorities...I take time to learn how to get better in the game and save up for the metas.

Right now...the arena is not fun because there are 100 Revans in arena and mods don't matter. This is because we are beyond the 6 month mark on a meta change and there is no meta. If I saved proper and/or spend money on the game, I should always have an advantage over those who didn't. Otherwise, what's the point.

Arena is not the only part of the game...there are plenty of other aspects of the game you can play. You can even make crystals just on fleet alone.

I do not know why this is such a hard concept to get.
  • Not to sound like a broken record, but this game is a FTP model with the option of making purchases. For those of you that just can't simply play the game without having to have the "newest shiney" all maxed out 5 mins after it comes out, maybe take a step back from that and try it without spending your child's college fund.

I'm not totally FTP, I do spend around $50/month so I'm not on anyone's side here. The problem I see is that the PTP people have made the game too easy for themselves and feel that they don't have a challenge or feel that because they have shelled out a small countries fortune to have that "new shiney" before anyone else, that all other people who don't PTP shouldn't have a chance at getting that same reward. Well, suck it up buttercup. As has been said before, without the FTP people this game wouldn't be anywhere near what it is today. You have to have balance in the rewards across all players. This is extremely hard to do with a FTP with purchase options. There will always be a portion of the player base who isn't happy.

I guess I have just one question for the PTP people, does it make your ego feel better to spend the national debt on the game every month?

Do yourselves a favor and try not spending money for a month or 2 and play the FTP way. Or even limit yourself, as I have, on what you spend per month. Try cutting down to half your amount or even 1/4 of what you normally spend. You will have the challenge back and maybe stop thinking that everyone should spend their life savings like you do to get what everyone has the opportunity too get anyway.

Those are the people who make the game possible for all of those, especially FTP. Why should FTP be on the same playing field as whales/krakens? If whales and krakens are top 50 in arena...shouldn't FTP be satisfied with top 100 or 200? And then when the character comes back a 2x to then pull even? That's how it should really work.
  • There's a lot of F2P hating going on, and a lot of P2P hating too.

How about we all get along and enjoy the game CG made for us and the super cool event coming up!

They're just two different ways of playing and each side is right in thier own sense :)

Good luck on the event guys n gals!
  • Is it just me or has the blurb on the revan post changed? The original one referenced it being a difficult event and challenging, the update doesn't seem to say it anymore?
  • StarSon
    7405 posts Member
    Is it just me or has the blurb on the revan post changed? The original one referenced it being a difficult event and challenging, the update doesn't seem to say it anymore?

It's just you: https://forums.galaxy-of-heroes.starwars.ea.com/discussion/197835/the-scourge-of-the-old-republic#latest

But it doesn't say the event will be difficult. It says
    It will be a very difficult task to reclaim the Sith throne

which feels like just part of the dialogue of the story. At the end it does say
    prepare for this rare and challenging event

but that's fairly standard verbiage. I'm not convinced it will be harder than any other Journey we've had so far. I am, of course, still ready if it is, but I would be surprised.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Is it just me or has the blurb on the revan post changed? The original one referenced it being a difficult event and challenging, the update doesn't seem to say it anymore?

@Abby_Normal
    See above, you are looking at the trailer for the event, the wording you are referencing is from an earlier post (see link in the above post)
  • It should be a very challenging event and the JKR event should be tuned to be in-line with the value of the character. It's currently out of balance when compared to other "legendary" squads.

Put another way - JKR / **** / Jolee and two easily obtained Jedi (let's say Ezra and Old Ben) will outperform every other "legendary" squad at a far lower investment. The challenge of the event should be tuned to reflect that value.

Put a third way - one of the few JKR counters requires - five strong BH with at least one zeta, five strong ewoks with at least one zeta, five middling empire toons, five middling but specific rebel toons and at least a couple of months worth of Pit Raids. And that's just to compete.
  • I have spent thousands of dollars on a game I like, so I can understand the viewpointof the OP. However, in such games paying should create some incentive, for example spending $100 should give you maybe 20% advantage over F2P and spending $1k give you a further 20% advantage over the $100 spenders. If however, you go with a model where spending anything short of $500k gives you marginal effect, but actually spending $500k makes you hundreds of times stronger than anyone, it creates a situation where spending anything is meaningless for practically everyone. And as a result, with no revenue, there is no budget to develop and the game dies off.

So I should say, G12+ is ok, good 6E mods is ok, but it should also be possible to catch up by spending a reasonable amount. If a new player can NEVER close the gap to an old player by spending south of tens of thousands, that would mean no new spenders, and old ones can stop spending as well because they face zero competition. Again, the result is the game dying off.

So, I would very much support a difficult event IF AND ONLY IF gear packs allowing to take the required toons from G1 to G12 were on sale, whether the price of such packs was hundreds of dollars or higher. If the only way to gear is by grinding for years, than spending becomes once again meaningless - you can get full 7* toons through packs and STILL not be able to do an event without waiting for months on end to actually get them geared (even if you buy everything from the shops for crystals and buy crystal packs, gearing from G1 to G12 is not doable in a few days).
  • It would make no sense to make the Darth Revan event too difficult. If the regular Jedi Knight Revan only required g8-g10 why would Darth Revan (A journey event) be even harder?

They said the Darth Revan event will be hard. How hard? Time will tell. I’m thinking possibly like the Bounty Hunter(chewy event).

The Darth Revan vs JKR event difficulty makes perfect sense.

JKR was easy because ea/cg didn’t give us enough time to farm 5 Old Republic toons much less gear then as well. I wanna say we had less than 2 weeks to farm 5 toons because of how late they were added to nodes.

For Darth Revan...HK has been around for ever. Bastilla and Ordo most people already have at 7*. There’s just Juhani and Carth most people are focusing on atm. This event we actually have more time to farm shards and gear.
  • G20
    132 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Yeah yeah like g12+ 100 time reset rng nightmare hard.

So hard that only the 1% will get DR.
    Smh lol
  • StarSon
    7405 posts Member
    It would make no sense to make the Darth Revan event too difficult. If the regular Jedi Knight Revan only required g8-g10 why would Darth Revan (A journey event) be even harder?

They said the Darth Revan event will be hard. How hard? Time will tell. I’m thinking possibly like the Bounty Hunter(chewy event).

They did not say this.
  • StarSon wrote: »

They did not say this.

They said that the event will be very hard...which corresponds to the Chewy event language.
  • G20 wrote: »
    Yeah yeah like g12+ 100 time reset rng nightmare hard.

So hard that only the 1% will get DR.
    Smh lol

New meta should be hard to get.
  • It should be a very challenging event and the JKR event should be tuned to be in-line with the value of the character. It's currently out of balance when compared to other "legendary" squads.

Put another way - JKR / **** / Jolee and two easily obtained Jedi (let's say Ezra and Old Ben) will outperform every other "legendary" squad at a far lower investment. The challenge of the event should be tuned to reflect that value.

Put a third way - one of the few JKR counters requires - five strong BH with at least one zeta, five strong ewoks with at least one zeta, five middling empire toons, five middling but specific rebel toons and at least a couple of months worth of Pit Raids. And that's just to compete.

BH are not beating a Revan team

Correct. CLS can, and the CLS team that can do it requires 20 different toons ranging from G11 to G8 plus a raid exclusive character (and it needs to be extremely well modded to win). Contrast that with two cantina farms and three multi-node hard farms and the imbalance between the difficult to obtain a Revan squad and the power exhibited by a Revan squad is plain to see. And, in my opinion, provide both evidence that the JKR event difficulty should be increased and support that DR should be very challenging.
  • He is already the hardest to get character in game history.

We will have one more week to farm him compared to JKR, but characters were available in half the locations.

Don’t get it. Everyone said Jedi Revan was paywalled, but a harder character is too easy???

I don’t agree he’s harder. I’m way ahead of where I was with Revan. Probably a week or so 😉

You started panic farming earlier this time.

If you started at the same time Darth Revan is much harder.

Errr not really. I started panic farming same time as revan.

It should also be easier because assuming u rank top5 in both arena, crystal inflow should sustain 3 refreshes a day, which amounts to a 600 crystal outflow. 5th in both arenas gives u 600 a day, plus additional from events and dailies which will cover 1 sa and 1 fa arena refresh a day.
  • ShaggyB wrote: »
    If I was designing this game I would try to make it so that teams always had a kryptonite and design it so the new meta was weak to a currently unpopular faction. Maybe even pair it for a rework. For example, be weak against Clones or Jawas or something.
    Whats my incentive to whale on it if you do that?

Why would i not just go hard on what can beat it, snipe #1, get my payout and move on with life?

So you are telling me that if DR is the best team in the game, but had a weakness to Tuskens, you would just gear up your Tuskens and forget about DR?