Please Listen. I Timed The Timesuck Today, It's Out Of Control:

Replies

• Takes me less than a minute... what's wrong with you guys? ;)

Seriously though i don't think the guy was looking for everyone to call out how much more efficient they are at the game than he is...

But to the op - I don't mind doing this stuff coz it's playing the game. I enjoy playing the game.

• I only play about 2 arenas and fleet battles per fay, plus pick up energies and spend/shop. Its fine.
    The MSF game is much worse.
  • This is why I quit this game couple of days ago. BTW still reading the forum as I wonder how Darth Revan will look like. I don't regret quitting, I only regret that I have to do that to be able to do some other stuff instead of clicking same content again and again. It is a time sink.
    It is possible that I will return to the game at some point if some really cool content will be added. And I mean cool and fun not frustrating and stupid like Sith Raid.
  • So timesuck = playing the game. Got it. If you look at playing the game as a timesuck then it’s probably time to find a new game or a new hobby.
  • This is a hilarious thread. Please do continue with your observations.
  • Sewpot
    2010 posts Member
    Took me longer to read your thread then it takes me to do all my dailies.
  • I’d be interested to see a breakdown on the time of each activity. Skimming through the comments, I agree that most daily stuff like spending energy and simming challenges takes a total of about 15 minutes. When I get on in the morning, I do all dailies except the arenas and it takes 15 minutes or less (and that’s with multiple energy refreshes).

I’ve timed my participation in TB before and it takes 20-30 minutes for each phase without using auto on battles. That doesn’t seem too bad.

I probably check TW and GA more than I should, but those don’t feel too time consuming if you just do the battles and spend less time strategizing.

Raids, however, seem to be the biggest timesuck. HAAT is 35-45 minutes on full auto. My guild is only doing tier 6 of STR and that commitment is much much larger than the tank. I really hope they bail on the rework Finn idea. It would be nice to auto at least 1 phase of this stupid raid. I guess raids are the one area of this game that makes me appreciate power creep :)
  • I’d be interested to see a breakdown on the time of each activity. Skimming through the comments, I agree that most daily stuff like spending energy and simming challenges takes a total of about 15 minutes. When I get on in the morning, I do all dailies except the arenas and it takes 15 minutes or less (and that’s with multiple energy refreshes).

I’ve timed my participation in TB before and it takes 20-30 minutes for each phase without using auto on battles. That doesn’t seem too bad.

I probably check TW and GA more than I should, but those don’t feel too time consuming if you just do the battles and spend less time strategizing.

Raids, however, seem to be the biggest timesuck. HAAT is 35-45 minutes on full auto. My guild is only doing tier 6 of STR and that commitment is much much larger than the tank. I really hope they bail on the rework Finn idea. It would be nice to auto at least 1 phase of this stupid raid. I guess raids are the one area of this game that makes me appreciate power creep :)

If you advance your roster, itll be much easier.
    My jkr team can AUTO around 8m at p2.
    My chexmix can do like 2,5m at p3 in 5 mins.
    My ns can do decent on AUTO in p4.
    Then some random teams on AUTO.

All in all, ~15 mins of actual effort and ~15m damage.
    Thats not enough for rank1, but its enough to do my share of the guild effort if Im in a hurry.

If you advance your roster, itll be much easier.
    My jkr team can AUTO around 8m at p2.
    My chexmix can do like 2,5m at p3 in 5 mins.
    My ns can do decent on AUTO in p4.
    Then some random teams on AUTO.

All in all, ~15 mins of actual effort and ~15m damage.
    Thats not enough for rank1, but its enough to do my share of the guild effort if Im in a hurry.

Hmm, I wonder if part of my problem is low participation in the raids. I need to be top 5 just to finish in a timely manner (which is sadly only about 4 battles per raid lol).
  • It'd take me 20-30 minutes to do all the basic stuff, excluding events. I don't do it that way as I like stuff to do whenever I get my bonus energies, but I can do it that way.
    THE SUPREME JAWA OVERLORD!
  • Number 20? That's going to be a no from me dawg.
  • Tactyou
    756 posts Member
    I strongly suggest to check with a physiologist, could be slow clicking fingers.
  • Gifafi wrote: »
    The biggest problem with the game is the insane amount of time required (in before someone hilariously points out "you don't HAVE to do anything/everything!" derp) to do just the daily tasks, battles, sign-ups and raids, etc.

2:15:33. That's 2 hours, 15 minutes, and 33 seconds today. Almost an hour of which was just the basic daily stuff.

I timed everything, and will explain what I didn't do as well (as in what wasn't available today). I also didn't account for any wait-time in-between challenges/arena/ship battles, as I either did something else in-game or shut it down to come back later. If you want to add those too I don't really math but 2-8m iirc, each, depending on which one.

Anyhoo, here's everything I did:

1. daily challenges, regular and ship.
    2. used energy (ship, reg, mod, cantina) for chars/gear/mods
    3. squad arena battles
    4. ship arena battles
    5. galactic war
    6. rebel roundup
    7. signed up for GA
    8. signed up for Guild raid
    9. collected energy bonuses, raid/arena/ship
    I think that's all the regular stuff, if I am forgetting a daily thing lmk.

(Simmed everything available to sim.)

10. Played the bonus tier of Rebel Roundup (bc it's one of the fun events, if I had auto-ed like I did the other lower 2 levels shave some seconds off, maybe - AI isn't as good at getting the kill bonuses so I could have been faster playing it myself, idk. Either way the difference is negligible).
    11. Tank Raid: played first stage with the finn auto team, but couldn't get it going right and died towards the end (escaped 3po and gmy, fwiw). Then did an arena battle, then got back in at end of stage 2, played for a few minutes then auto-ed the rest, then jumped back in arena battles. Did ship battles in-between arena battles, fwiw)
    12. Set 1 defense in GA
    13. Clicked "join" on rancor. Thanks Devs, for real, on that one!
    14. Oops, forgot above in "regular stuff and now too hard to fix numbering lol: checked stores for items/mods at every store change (so like 3-4 times? not sure tbh)

What I didn't include:
    15. ANY setting of GA defenses (I actually set one but I usually wait until morning, so didn't count it. Add that to tomorrow too!)
    16. ANY GA attacks (rinse-repeat for 3 rounds. Obv this wouldn't be in one day but you see the point).
    17. ANY hsith raid time, which is a lot. Jtr, Revan, NS, etc all take a lot of time still (having hsth on farm still takes a loooong time, plus you have to jump in at certain times with the certain teams.
    18. ANY TW defense
    19. ANY TW attacks (which also take longer than just the attack-time bc of waiting/clearing zones)
    20. ANY TB attacks (the best guild event in the game imo)
    21. anything else I'm forgetting? Like other Events that take a long time, like the NS one I sim and it still takes forever. Idk.

I'm a 4m GP player, played since late December 2015, so I can sim almost everything and auto pretty much everything, in an active guild. Just fwiw

I understand the arena/TW/raid type stuff will take longer, but the little things themselves took 56:43.

That's almost an hour of just clicking on the basic stuff!

PLEASE DEVS, Do something about the amount of time the little things take. I don't understand why you seem to think having us click so many times makes you money. I know for one if there was one-click ability and I didn't waste an hour of my day I would be more inclined to buy crystals to do more stuff, tbh. But as it it...

*tl;dr: game takes too long. An HOUR just for the basic clicking. Please make the timesuck less, devs.

@CG_SBCrumb @Kyno (I know your not a dev, but please pass this along? @CG_Carrie @CG_RyDiggs Hope these link right.

How long did this take to write?
  • Monel
    2776 posts Member
    In a word, Nope!

In a slightly longer sentence, it takes 30 minutes at most and that's with the rebel roundup.
  • I guess I’m one of those sorry individuals that likes playing the game and wants more content, not less.

Re-playable fun content yes. Mindless clicking on SIM content or sitting in arena to defend sniper content, no.
  • I don't have a problem with the length of play, and it doesn't take me 56 minutes to do the daily stuff. It does get tedious doing arena battles, however.

The problem I have with arena battles is the locked PO time. GA and other events are open for 24 hours and players can enjoy then whenever they have free time. Arena can adapt a little bit to this, instead of PO hour just do highest rank within 24 hours or lose the 10 minute cooldown. As shard arena gets more crowded, ladder climb time gets tighter, not to mention the stale meta right now.

Same for raids, it's really tedious to have to run the same raid at the exact same time. If devs would adjust raid so we can submit our best score within the 24 hours that'd give us a lot more freedom.
  • A lot of you are criticizing/mocking the OP, but he's correct. Look at your iOS screen time app. My average time per day is right around 2 hours.

2 hours a day and most of that time is not spend doing things that are overly fun.

What do I do?
    Boring - Sim all daily challenges.
    Boring - Get energy and check shipments at each refresh.
    Boring - Join all available raids.
    Boring - Auto all events.
    Boring - Auto territory bore.
    Boring - Auto 5 min pit raid. (We won't sim cause rewards are garbage for people who make an effort)
    Boring - Auto maybe 1/3 tank raids.
    Semi-fun - Play enough of Sith raid to ensure top 5. (Usually one squad in p1 & p2).
    Semi-fun - Play offense on any TW my guild actually tries in (maybe 1 of 3).
    Semi-fun - Do my 5 arena battles (spend the last 20 min monitoring for snipers).
    Semi-fun - Do my 2 fleet battles (no need to monitor for snipers, my shard stinks).
    Fun - Play GA.

Here's the thing, once you reach end game and have been there awhile, there isn't much fun content available every day, but there sure is a lot of old boring content that its still in your best interests to auto or sim.

I'd like to be able to SIM even more of the boring, old content.
    Territory Battles? If I have beat a battle in a phase, X number of times, let me sim it.
    Events? if I have beaten the highest level of an event, X number of times, let me sim it.
    Pit? Give top 10 reward box so it's worth simming for everyone, and get rid of the stupid join requirement for guilds that SIM it. A sim should auto join all members!

Finally - give us a practice arena so we can actually play repeatable content when we want to and test different comps and strategies, and get the most fun out of the game.

• GunnerFCm
    154 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    The MSF game is much worse.

Oof, right? I tried playing both for about a month, and it felt like a job. Quit MSF and never looked back. Now I get my dailies done in SWGOH during breakfast and auto the rest. Probably 45 minutes to an hour of actual game time per day, spread out in little chunks, and then a good portion of me doing something else while a mode autos in the background (Tank raid, I'm looking at you, or more appropriately NOT looking at you.) More if I decide to move mods around (*shudder*)

• Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Unless you're still doing GW manually, I don't see how just doing your dailies could possibly take more than the duration of the squad arena reset timer plus the duration of the second match.

1 - do first squad arena match
    2- do all other dailies
    3- do 2nd arena match

Done. Should take 15 minutes, tops. The only things you have to play manually are raids (and that's even optional on Rancor now) and PVP matches. Everything else can be simmed and thus takes about 5 seconds.

There was some other thread where someone was complaining that GA took them hours, which I called hogwash on because how is that even possible. They proceeded to state that it's because it takes hours to "analyze your opponent's roster." The takeaway here is that if you're spending hours and hours and hours, it's probably because you aren't very good at managing your time.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Lio
    1003 posts Member
    I can't imagine HOW it could possibly take as long as OP claims. I do all of that in like 10 minutes in the morning (likely even less) and do the rest throughout the day. It isn't time-consuming.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    I've asked the OP for a more detailed break down of how much time s/he spends doing each task but I'm still waiting for a response.
    I'm curious as to how s/he thinks it takes 2h+ when I can rattle off the Daily Quests (excluding the Arenas) in less than 10 minutes. All that remains following that are:
    a) Your Arena matches.
    b) Territory War or Territory Battle - they're never on at the same time so let's go with TW as it takes the longest.
    c) Raids.
    d) Events and Grand Arena.

Now I fail to see how A, B, C and D regularly require 2h+ every day. MAYBE if your Guild has all three Raids on AND there's a TW at the same time. But if so, maybe have a quiet word with the Guild Leadership about that. That seems more a Guild issue than a fault of the game itself.
    I'm really at a loss as to how A, B, C and D require as much time as the OP is suggesting. Hopefully s/he'll post a detailed break down soon.
  • Everyday basis...takes about 5 minutes to do all the daily tasks not arena or fleet.

Arena and fleet take the most time but they take about 30-40 minutes in total depending on the number of battles.

TW/TB/TA take about 10 minutes a piece.

Raids can take 5 to 10 minutes depending on the raid. If you are autoing HAAT...that takes longer.

So on the busiest days...probably an hour but probably 25-35 minutes on average.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    A lot of you are criticizing/mocking the OP, but he's correct. Look at your iOS screen time app. My average time per day is right around 2 hours.

2 hours a day and most of that time is not spend doing things that are overly fun.

What do I do?
    Boring - Sim all daily challenges.
    Boring - Get energy and check shipments at each refresh.
    Boring - Join all available raids.
    Boring - Auto all events.
    Boring - Auto territory bore.
    Boring - Auto 5 min pit raid. (We won't sim cause rewards are garbage for people who make an effort)
    Boring - Auto maybe 1/3 tank raids.
    Semi-fun - Play enough of Sith raid to ensure top 5. (Usually one squad in p1 & p2).
    Semi-fun - Play offense on any TW my guild actually tries in (maybe 1 of 3).
    Semi-fun - Do my 5 arena battles (spend the last 20 min monitoring for snipers).
    Semi-fun - Do my 2 fleet battles (no need to monitor for snipers, my shard stinks).
    Fun - Play GA.

Here's the thing, once you reach end game and have been there awhile, there isn't much fun content available every day, but there sure is a lot of old boring content that its still in your best interests to auto or sim.

I'd like to be able to SIM even more of the boring, old content.
    Territory Battles? If I have beat a battle in a phase, X number of times, let me sim it.
    Events? if I have beaten the highest level of an event, X number of times, let me sim it.
    Pit? Give top 10 reward box so it's worth simming for everyone, and get rid of the stupid join requirement for guilds that SIM it. A sim should auto join all members!

Finally - give us a practice arena so we can actually play repeatable content when we want to and test different comps and strategies, and get the most fun out of the game.

[X] gets it.

I actually like arena, and mirror matches, come at me bros :-) I also love TB, bc the rewards ae great compared to the time, and it's just once a day.

Disagree on GA. GA is awful bc it takes a long time. Like 9-12 teams (can't remember, and depending on style of GA), for MEH rewards. ugh.

Stenun wrote: »
    I've asked the OP for a more detailed break down of how much time s/he spends doing each task but I'm still waiting for a response.
    I'm curious as to how s/he thinks it takes 2h+ when I can rattle off the Daily Quests (excluding the Arenas) in less than 10 minutes. All that remains following that are:
    a) Your Arena matches.
    b) Territory War or Territory Battle - they're never on at the same time so let's go with TW as it takes the longest.
    c) Raids.
    d) Events and Grand Arena.

Now I fail to see how A, B, C and D regularly require 2h+ every day. MAYBE if your Guild has all three Raids on AND there's a TW at the same time. But if so, maybe have a quiet word with the Guild Leadership about that. That seems more a Guild issue than a fault of the game itself.
    I'm really at a loss as to how A, B, C and D require as much time as the OP is suggesting. Hopefully s/he'll post a detailed break down soon.

the 2hrs was total, incl tank raid and arena/ship battles. And I didn't say ABCD regularly take 2h+ each day. lol tell me more about my guild. It'd be great if people stopped strawmanning this thread tho. It's "he," btw. Just to save you some clicking for: "s/" CWIDT?

@ the guy who said you can't set D in sign-up, well, you actually can set d during the setting D phase, so...

@the guy on the first page re simming NS event (sorry, with the quote feature it's hard to check back), it can't be simmed, meant autoed. I edited)

@the people saying why don't you just sim GW and other things that can be simmed, plz see op, where I literally said I simmed everything simmable. reading is hard, but so worth it in the long run imo

@ the people who say I don't like playing, see first quote above. I love PLAYING. I don't love mindless clicking., or waiting for events I've autoed 100 times to finish so I can click auto on the other tiers of the event. Not sure why anyone would take time to (constructively, hopefully) complain if they didn't like playing.

@the people who do arena battles first thing, I assume they aren't competitive in arena (not a diss, just a time-of-day observation). If I get my arena battles out of the way it costs me crystals

for how long this took me to write, going by the in-game speed of posters who replied, it took me 26 seconds, while having coffee, in the bathroom. And not sure about typos, it was too long to read over ;-)

edit: @Jarvind 2 arena matches? lol. Clearing the 600 daily isn't the point of me playing, fyi

Edit 2: I’ll add that no, no ones does everything in 10-30m, especially because many things have a wait period.

I think shops should have everything available for a 24 or at least 12h period. And all free energy/shop stuff should be available at once or at least saved until next log in. Again, I don’t see the benefit for cg in making us log in at certain times
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • Is the game no longer fun for you? A game that is too time consuming at 2 hours enough for you to complain about might not be fun anymore like a game should be. You might just not like playing it anymore.
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    keiths9216 wrote: »
    Is the game no longer fun for you? A game that is too time consuming at 2 hours enough for you to complain about might not be fun anymore like a game should be. You might just not like playing it anymore.

Another excellent reader. Real life?
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • You can't count wait times...you don't actually have to be in game that the time...I don't even count things I can auto because I can just set it to auto and win.

arena used to be like 15 minutes (3-4 battles) but with everyone having Revan...it's more like 8 to 9 battles now. Hopefully it will go back to 3-4 after DSR...fleet is now 1 or 2 battles max.

The only thing that is time sensitive is arena and fleet...everything I can do in various times of the day.
  • 7AnimalMother
    2053 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Is the game no longer fun for you? A game that is too time consuming at 2 hours enough for you to complain about might not be fun anymore like a game should be. You might just not like playing it anymore.

Here's the thing Keith, portions of the game are fun. But in order to stay competitive in those portions of the game, you have to basically do all the game. Doing all of the game includes a lot of mindless, boring stuff that stopped being fun long ago.

This may be more of a problem for long time players than those of you who are newer. If you can't beat an event or can barely beat an event, it's still probably fun to play. But for those of us who can toss in one of multiple teams and hit auto, the event no longer has fun value.
  • keiths9216 wrote: »

Here's the thing Keith, portions of the game are fun. But in order to stay competitive in those portions of the game, you have to basically do all the game. Doing all of the game includes a lot of mindless, boring stuff that stopped being fun long ago.

This may be more of a problem for long time players than those of you are newer. If you can't beat an event or can barely beat an event, it's still probably fun to play. But for those of us who can toss in one of multiple teams and hit auto, the event no longer has fun value.

My goal now is to be able to auto all events...including TB!
  • Gifafi wrote: »

Another excellent reader. Real life?

You have really long posts. Maybe make an abstract for those that are looking to comment based on just one sentence lol.

Just kidding, I’ve enjoyed reading some comments. I like the suggestion about 24 hour shops. Maybe just extend the size of the shop inventory and then only have 1 refresh per day. It would be nice to not check in every 6 hours to see what’s available and then go through checks on all over aspects of the game.
  • Kenjinrex
    8 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    If this isn't entitled whining, I don't know what it is. So, let me get this straight, you want the game to be so streamlined and fast that it doesn't take any time whatsoever to get all your collections, characters and raids, everything that you can possibly do in a day in very short period of time? Weird. You know they make games like tap tap hero and stuff for people with little time to invest into a game. Honestly, your approaching the game all wrong in my opinion. It's it safe to say that you buy most of your characters, because if that's the case, you ruined your experience and the joy of earning certain characters and now you want the instant gratification to continue. That's too bad. I wonder what else you want to be sped up? Just enjoy the game, spread out your tasks throughout the day.