Where's the strategy????

Seems like we'd rather just use blunt objects and hammer our opponents,
like tenderizing a piece of meat.
Post edited by maraJade789 on

Replies

• Nikoms565
    14242 posts Member
    And the rewards are pennies. So, yep!
    In game name: Lucas Gregory FORMER PLAYER - - - -"Whale blah grump poooop." - Ouchie

In game guild: TNR Uprising
    I beat the REAL T7 Yoda (not the nerfed one) and did so before mods were there to help
    *This space left intentionally blank*
  • Its a bummer but now you just need a new strategy
  • This is ultimate test of wallet version of GA. I'm not complaining, there can be one like this as well on rare occasions. But this one clearly seems the worst map.
    This map is the only one requiring 0 strategy, there's no way for a player with the best GP-maxed squad ratio not to win. There's no need to thoroughly study the opponent and try to predict their strategy. Use your best defense and offense and that's about it.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Where's the strategy????

Seems like we'd rather just use blunt objects and hammer our opponents,
    like tenderizing a piece of meat.

One strategic element is gone, but the others remain.

(No, I'm not a fan of this layout, but it's ok)
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I am a fan of changing layouts and them trying to keep us adopting different strategies.

Agree with the above, I'm not a fan, but it's ok.

This layout is more of a straight up, can you beat my hand layout, definitely lacking in the over all startegy I believe we all want to see in GA and TW.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    I am a fan of changing layouts and them trying to keep us adopting different strategies.

Agree with the above, I'm not a fan, but it's ok.

This layout is more of a straight up, can you beat my hand layout, definitely lacking in the over all startegy I believe we all want to see in GA and TW.

This. I think it's my least favourite so far.

Though I think my opponent might cry, 3.7m GP, roster full of fluff and he has no Traya, Revan or Falcon, whereas I've got all three on defence. He stands no chance. Thrown in squad of gear IX Jawas and a trash squad just so he can get some points and credits.

I prefer the maps with a bit of strategy, and hiding specific teams or protecting the fleet, rather than this two territory set up.
  • well said
  • Yeah I'm not a fan of this map layout at all. As everyone has said, limiting the map to 2 territories cuts out most of the strategy of the setup phase. Also, I know everyone may not agree with this, but I really prefer GA with no ships.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Yeah I'm not a fan of this map layout at all. As everyone has said, limiting the map to 2 territories cuts out most of the strategy of the setup phase. Also, I know everyone may not agree with this, but I really prefer GA with no ships.

I think this is why changing maps is a great idea. Everyone is going to have a preference and anything short of allowing us to make our own layout (which I would love) will always leave people wanting. This situation is a fair compromise that allows us to all get something we want, at least some of the time.
  • This layout is a falcon check and it’s garbage.
  • ClubberLangIII
    372 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Hmmmm......

Post edited by Kyno on
  • avins
    32 posts Member
    i'm completely free to play and i'll win this GA round for sure, only cause i have a top arena team and others dont. This map is good aswell since you must be balanced off and def, and your fleet superiority can pay well the GP gap between characthers and ships.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Not crazy about the layout but it is the closest thing we have right now to squad-fleet balance in GA.
  • maraJade789
    284 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Kyno wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not a fan of this map layout at all. As everyone has said, limiting the map to 2 territories cuts out most of the strategy of the setup phase. Also, I know everyone may not agree with this, but I really prefer GA with no ships.

I think this is why changing maps is a great idea. Everyone is going to have a preference and anything short of allowing us to make our own layout (which I would love) will always leave people wanting. This situation is a fair compromise that allows us to all get something we want, at least some of the time.

Wow. Really, everyone's saying they don't like it, and your answer is let's leave ppl wanting. Okay, have a better idea, just provide better content, we love GA, well alot do. Isn't that hard to find the right formulas.

Salvage for this one isn't bad though.
  • Aydnie
    432 posts Member
    I like this one and still finds it strategic
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Agreed that this is less strategic, basically just measuring who has bigger... erm, I mean, stronger teams. Not a fan, but if it't the exception rather than the rule, I guess I can live with that.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    Agreed that this is less strategic, basically just measuring who has bigger... erm, I mean, stronger teams. Not a fan, but if it't the exception rather than the rule, I guess I can live with that.

Disagree...of course there will be players of unequal strength even at the same GP but GA has forced me to think about teams and synergy beyond my arena/secondary teams.

For example, this GA requires 6 teams in one zone. You need to balance between offense/defense and how to defeat your opponent with maximum efficiency.
  • Eonixx
    62 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Not a fan of this one to be honest, but GA is still GA so it's gonna be funny. Not that strategic tho, I agree.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I like it, it's different and requires a different approach. Switching GA's up keeps it interresting, even if you may or may not like some of the lay-outs.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Nauros
    5429 posts Member
    Calbear949 wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »

Disagree...of course there will be players of unequal strength even at the same GP but GA has forced me to think about teams and synergy beyond my arena/secondary teams.

For example, this GA requires 6 teams in one zone. You need to balance between offense/defense and how to defeat your opponent with maximum efficiency.

Sure, but it takes out the strategic aspect of multiple zones. You can't hide weak teams behind uber defense, trick the opponent into running into a wall or stuff like that. It's just whoever beats more defensive teams wins.
  • Nauros wrote: »
    Calbear949 wrote: »
    Nauros wrote: »

Sure, but it takes out the strategic aspect of multiple zones. You can't hide weak teams behind uber defense, trick the opponent into running into a wall or stuff like that. It's just whoever beats more defensive teams wins.

the map has been changing...having one zone is very different than having 4 zones....strategies need to change.

You also have to anticipate what your opponent may do...maybe they will just cheese out on defense or drop everything on D. Does one go with a balanced approached or leaning offense versus defense. Do you weaken one great squad to make two very good squads? Those are all strategic decisions that need to be made.

GA is about as close to sandbox as we have gotten. (still want a sandbox mode)
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Not crazy about the layout but it is the closest thing we have right now to squad-fleet balance in GA.

I don't really like this map either....but I think this hits the nail on the head.....ships are already excluded from certain maps and can be hidden by troops on one of the other maps....this map seems like it's throwing a bone to the people who invested more in ships. Even though I personally don't care for this map, I'm okay with them using formats that give advantages to different types of rosters....keeps GA more balanced overall so the same people don't always have an edge in format.

I don't really like this map either....but I think this hits the nail on the head.....ships are already excluded from certain maps and can be hidden by troops on one of the other maps....this map seems like it's throwing a bone to the people who invested more in ships. Even though I personally don't care for this map, I'm okay with them using formats that give advantages to different types of rosters....keeps GA more balanced overall so the same people don't always have an edge in format.

I really hate maps that don't have ships...ships are an equal aspect of GP so it should have some role in GA.

I would agree with what you were saying pre-falcon. Everyone complains about revan being too OP and the falcon is 1000x worse. So when half the war is ships and they have it and you don’t, why bother?
  • Kyno wrote: »

Wow. Really, everyone's saying they don't like it, and your answer is let's leave ppl wanting. Okay, have a better idea, just provide better content, we love GA, well alot do. Isn't that hard to find the right formulas.

Salvage for this one isn't bad though.

Read back earlier and Kyno also said he doesn't like it. He is a volunteer mod and doesn't work for CG.
    I personally like that they have rotation layouts, obviously this layout isn't great but it will make the fastest clears because there is no guessing.
  • It's fine. I like that it changes.
  • On the pros side, they included ships. On the cons side, the ship territory is worth way less than the character territory, so whoever has the best characters and didn’t focus ships is still going to win.
  • Vos_Landeck
    1666 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Rath_Tarr wrote: »

I would agree with what you were saying pre-falcon. Everyone complains about revan being too OP and the falcon is 1000x worse. So when half the war is ships and they have it and you don’t, why bother?

It's half the physical map but not half the banners. The fleet side is a maximum of 321 banners. The troop side is a maximum of 1,224 banners....almost 4 times as many. It's the one map that gives an advantage to people who invested in the Falcon...I don't see any problem with that. Plus, it's only 1 ship....if they put their Falcon fleet on D, then they should have a harder time beating your fleet....if they save their Falcon fleet for offense, then you should have an easier time beating their fleet. It's not like you can block off another zone with ships in this map. Having Revan when the other player doesn't have Revan is a far bigger advantage on all maps except this one as you can potentially block off another zone with him.
  • Revan has way more counters than does the falcon and they are way less rng dependent
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    I don't know why they haven't used a variant of the 3 fleet zone + 1 squad zone map with the fleet zone in front of rather than behind a squad zone.