GA Format: Are you a fan or not?

Replies

• Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    Kyno wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not a fan of this map layout at all. As everyone has said, limiting the map to 2 territories cuts out most of the strategy of the setup phase. Also, I know everyone may not agree with this, but I really prefer GA with no ships.

I think this is why changing maps is a great idea. Everyone is going to have a preference and anything short of allowing us to make our own layout (which I would love) will always leave people wanting. This situation is a fair compromise that allows us to all get something we want, at least some of the time.

Wow. Really, everyone's saying they don't like it, and your answer is let's leave ppl wanting. Okay, have a better idea, just provide better content, we love GA, well alot do. Isn't that hard to find the right formulas.

Salvage for this one isn't bad though.

Trust me, not everyone that plays the game is on the forum.

I also said that they should change the maps, not because everyone will or does like it, but because it keeps it from getting stale and allows players to play different ways.

As I said, I'm not the biggest fan, but if we are going to have a variety of maps, we should have one that is just a head to head, plane and simple.
  • I want more 3v3 GAs, those are the best.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Does none of you enjoy planning out your offense to perfection? Honest question because i do. Sure, the hide and seek format is fun and arguably more strategic, but this format every once in a while is enjoyable aswell imo.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • I like 3v3. Ships is ok I guess.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I actually think this layout would be more fun if they +50-75% the amount of land teams. Even though you could see everyone, That would require strategy and force you to reach into your g8-9 team and even players without meta squads would have a chance if they had a deeper roster.

We have people with less than 2M GP with Revan or that will soon get Darth Revan. But beyond that their roster is very shallow.

• I would agree with what you were saying pre-falcon. Everyone complains about revan being too OP and the falcon is 1000x worse. So when half the war is ships and they have it and you don’t, why bother?

Now you know how those of us with fleet heavy rosters feel in squad only GAs.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/

• I would agree with what you were saying pre-falcon. Everyone complains about revan being too OP and the falcon is 1000x worse. So when half the war is ships and they have it and you don’t, why bother?

Now you know how those of us with fleet heavy rosters feel in squad only GAs.

What came first and what makes up more of the game? Squads or ships?

Also what do you think comprises a larger portion or the player base. Those that hate ships but still play cuz they like the squad stuff and have been playing since before ships. Or those that love ships and don’t like squad battles?

This isn’t a “ships game”. That’s why there’s way more squad zones than ships zones. The ship gameplay is way more RNG dependent and isn’t fun imo. Good for those that like it. Great for those more heavily ship invested. I’ll get a falcon next time. Just assumed a tighter timeline for DR farm or I’d have one now and be in that mirror mess.

But I stand by my statement. This version is no good with too much emphasis on ships. Jedi Knight Revan has 4-5 reliable counters that can win, if modded correctly, 90% of the time or better im sure. Whereas the falcon, from my knowledge, only has 2-3 counters and the two that I have are an rng nightmare. No skill required. All luck. That’s no fun.
  • VonZant wrote: »
    I actually think this layout would be more fun if they +50-75% the amount of land teams. Even though you could see everyone, That would require strategy and force you to reach into your g8-9 team and even players without meta squads would have a chance if they had a deeper roster.

We have people with less than 2M GP with Revan or that will soon get Darth Revan. But beyond that their roster is very shallow.

True but then people who put thought and work into those secondary teams will be rewarded. Mods for example.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Calbear949 wrote: »
    VonZant wrote: »

True but then people who put thought and work into those secondary teams will be rewarded. Mods for example.

Exactly. That would be a fun GA I think.
  • JediMindTricks
    1077 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    This format is the worst one yet imo. It’s like playing poker except now you can see each other’s hand. Removing the element of surprise for teams in the back was something I liked doing.

Whoever’s idea was this...is dumb. No wonder why people sometimes set no defense. This reminds me of the time they banned certain toons in GA(which people weren’t a fan of and they let the developers know).
  • Stoked about getting to use my fleet. Thanks for that!

Sure, the fleet territory is worth about half of the squad one, which is a bit sad and weird. Buuut I'll take what I can get.
  • Buuut I'll take what I can get.

...which most likely will be a "no defenses set"-W.A. Lol!
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Whoever’s idea was this...is dumb. No wonder why people sometimes set no defense. This reminds me of the time they banned certain toons in GA(which people weren’t a fan of and they let the developers know).
    As a general rule it is better to criticize ideas rather than people.

This layout is not new, we have had it before.

People set no defense for a variety of reasons.

Toons were excluded from a TW not from GA.
  • This format is terrible and needs to be removed. I personally enjoy GA but not this format
  • As usual, I'm fine with the format. I like changes, each format requires a different planning process. The strategy of hiding a squad is out, but will they be able to beat my 6 squads, yet defend 6 squads with all the cards showing?

I'm outmatched in terms of G12 characters..., But they have what I would call "very weak mods". Enough to win? Maybe I can. Ships, it's a toss up. But I play ships badly, so who knows.
  • Kyno wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not a fan of this map layout at all. As everyone has said, limiting the map to 2 territories cuts out most of the strategy of the setup phase. Also, I know everyone may not agree with this, but I really prefer GA with no ships.

I think this is why changing maps is a great idea. Everyone is going to have a preference and anything short of allowing us to make our own layout (which I would love) will always leave people wanting. This situation is a fair compromise that allows us to all get something we want, at least some of the time.

Wow. Really, everyone's saying they don't like it, and your answer is let's leave ppl wanting. Okay, have a better idea, just provide better content, we love GA, well alot do. Isn't that hard to find the right formulas.

Salvage for this one isn't bad though.

Not everyone is saying they dont like it , some of us like the changes , some of us like different setups , just because it isn't my fav setup , doesn't mean i dont like it, sometimes you will know your enemy , sometimes your enemy will hide in the shadows waiting. Different play styles for different folks. So yea one style will leave some people wanting...i see no problem with that statement.
  • I didn't set any defences because I forgot, I go in just now, and find out random Toons were used to create squads for defence, and what I have left isn't good enough to form proper teams.
    When you're accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.

Started mid-FEB 2017, and not trying to reach the top.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    I didn't set any defences because I forgot, I go in just now, and find out random Toons were used to create squads for defence, and what I have left isn't good enough to form proper teams.

This is working as intended. Set D and you will have no problem.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    I like this map for one reason I got AN EXTREMELY RARE win because we both perfect cleared everything but opponent did not have falcon and took 2 tries to kill my fleet won by a few points....

Now after falcon hits for the second time I will hate this map because I would have lost...

Yes I'm a hypocrit.... but since i'm like 3- 18 or something in GA matches I'll take what I can get
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    I like this map for one reason I got AN EXTREMELY RARE win because we both perfect cleared everything but opponent did not have falcon and took 2 tries to kill my fleet won by a few points....

Now after falcon hits for the second time I will hate this map because I would have lost...

Yes I'm a hypocrit.... but since i'm like 3- 18 or something in GA matches I'll take what I can get

There's nothing wrong with liking something because you win ;)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    Dk_rek wrote: »

There's nothing wrong with liking something because you win ;)

no but hating it after 2nd falcon pass is me being a hypocrit....but with darth revan it does not matter because it's over before it starts...no point playing back to setting cup
  • Not a fan of ga in the slightest, even less a fan of this format.
    I’d like to see more experimentation within ga (instead of TW) such as themed zones and bonuses
  • Daishi
    718 posts Member
    I like this map. It's a relief every once in awhile having a straight up match. Lowers the anxiety of wasting a counter team you'll need for what's hiding behind
  • Preferred this one. No hiding of weak teams behind the strongest. No hiding the ships either.

Choose the toons you think will beat theirs and away you go.
    Where are the Stun Guns?
  • I hate the current layout. Everything is exposed at once and your oppenent can easily layout how to attack every single team. What was great about the 4 zone GAs was, that some team were hidden from your opponent until he punched a hole through to them. That needed more strategy, as you would have to punch these holes with the worst possible team without sacrificing points. Just be make sure to have strong teams ready for the back zones if something nasty would show up.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    I don't know why they haven't used a variant of the 3 fleet zone + 1 squad zone map with the fleet zone in front of rather than behind a squad zone.

Becase there is only 4 capital ships, which makes it impossible to have 6 fleet teams.
    Furthermore nobody has more than 3 useful fleet teams.
  • maraJade789
    288 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I have 4 and change
  • I won GA battle b/c of following: my opponent and I each cleared the toons set, predictable. they used their a-team ships on defense, w/HT, I saved mine for offense (with HT), their strategic blunder, b/c my HT stronger. I defeated his ship team, my B-team ships they couldn’t get through with 3 tries...only strategy is to not make a strategy blunder and hope you defeat other teams more cleanly with full pro, etc. I even took down one of their teams with an undermanned setup and got the challenge awards!
  • It’s different I like it. Strait up toe to toe like a fist fight. I also like the strategy of the other formats with hidden zones. Nice to have things switched up though hopefully it stays in the rotation.