What don't I understand about the fleet arena?

I'm relatively new to the fleet arena, only just reached Player Level 70.

A casual, slowly progressing player, at about 22000 squad power, my experience from the squad arena, is that, with some of exceptions (notably Phoenix squads or squads with Kylo Ren or Bobba Fett), I can usually count on at least being a match (even if not always winning) against a squad near my own squad power, even sometimes beat a squad maybe up to 500 above me.

In the fleet arena this is very different:
My fleet is alledgedly powered in the low 30K range, but quite often I will get all 4 ships (I still only have 1 reinforcement) wiped out barely making a scratch on ANY of the enemy ships - even when fighting nearly identical squads with only 1 ship different from mine, in the mid 20K range, and with ALL of their ships lower level than mine at same *tiers.

Now, I know you're gonna say synergy effects, but are they really THAT strong at his low level?

Or what am I missing?

Any hints or help appreciated

Replies

• Damodamo
    1574 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Pilot gear and mods..
    Have you got a gg link for your roster, I’ll have a look for you
  • Mrtops
    80 posts Member
    What is your opponent running?
  • crzydroid
    7252 posts Moderator
    Power is not a good indicator at all, and even more so in fleet. For example, it counts capital ship crew contributions which may not directly affect the battle. You should really read "Galactic Power" (in both fleet AND squad) as "Resource Investment Score." It doesn't necessarily mean that the player made good investments.

Like someone said, if you can post a link to your profile with roster, people would be more than happy to give you pointers.
  • GP is not a good indicator with ship because you can have multiple pilot for a given ship...they will always be higher gp than a ship with fewer pilots.
  • Thanks, guys. So I guess the answer is "everything" :-D

Here's my fleet: https://swgoh.gg/p/972967742/ships/

I normally fly with Endurance and the top 4 ships, usually with AT as reinforcement. I find her a reasonable finisher, but she's very soft, so if she's in the main team, she may only get to fire once.

I've tried substituting Endurance (at 61) with Home One (at 54), because I tend to get to get crushed by opponents with that ship, but that doesn't seem to help me at all.

Maybe It's just that most of the opponents at my level have optimized their pilots' mods much better than I have?
    This way they could have great power that's not reflected in the ship power or fleet power, right?
  • 5 pip mods and leveling of pilots.
  • Ok, I get it. Thanks! :-)
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Anything that increases your pilots' crew power will also increase the stats of your ship.

You will probably need a tank. Biggs' X-wing is excellent for this (until you get access to HT or Sun Fac's ship / geo fleet). Boba's Slave 1 is an excellent taunting reinforcement in mid game.
  • https://gaming-fans.com/2018/05/swgoh-understanding-ships-crew-power-in-galaxy-of-heroes/

The article is a little old and I cannot remember if this is before or after Ships 2.0 but the overall ideas are still accurate.
  • Boba is good even late game!
    Make Bronzium autoplay opening an option.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Boba is good even late game!

I disagree. If you have nothing better, then by all means, use Slave 1. But I would suggest to farm better reinforcements at the same time.
  • I sent the alliance invitation to you, I hope my characters help you close the 3-star table.
    You seem to be a casual be player and your farm is completely disorganized.
    If you want I'll put up an Excel spreadsheet (it will take a while to build it in English)

1) Find a guild
    2) Close the phoenix 7 star team.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Boba is good. Slave 1 however hits like a limp noodle, is squishier than gelatin and taunts when used as a reinforcement. A sad state of affairs for such an iconic ship.
  • Rath_Tarr wrote: »
    Boba is good. Slave 1 however hits like a limp noodle, is squishier than gelatin and taunts when used as a reinforcement. A sad state of affairs for such an iconic ship.

Depends on who he's being run with. Even as a reinforcement under Ackbar he can be quite annoying - taunt + retribution + bonus prot from attacking out of turn + TL....yeah.

Then there's the bomb move - twice in a row (again if you use Ackbar and strategic advantage). Can do some serious damage.

He's not popular in the current meta teams, and his taunt can indeed be a liability. But heck I feel that way about Biggs these days.
    Ally Code 766-465-766 swgoh.gg/u/trystansr/collection/
  • I run slave1 as a RI, it seems to hold well on D. I'd be interested in hearing which ship would be better under Home One with Biggs HMF and Vader out front, with Cassian, TFP, and HT as additional RI. All are 7* except 5* HMF.
  • I got this problem earlier. I run ghost, phantom & biggs with tarkin and even I got 10k more power I still got smashed by my opponents. Someone in this forum pointed to me that the ship need synergy based on faction. so if you run Endurance...it's better to get galactic republic ship, Ackbar with rebel ships and tarkin with empire ships....seems bounty hunters and scoundrels can fit anywhere....
    I since then switch to Home one and get better results in the Arena
  • I switched from Chimera to Home One once I got HMF with better results as well.
  • Boba is good mid level but not great late level.

Right now, you need to have OGMF/rebels...next is geos/HT chimera or HT/anakin/Mace
  • I run slave1 as a RI, it seems to hold well on D. I'd be interested in hearing which ship would be better under Home One with Biggs HMF and Vader out front, with Cassian, TFP, and HT as additional RI. All are 7* except 5* HMF.

The guy in my shard who has his payout before me runs Hans Falcon, HT and Bistan starting with Biggs, Wedge, Cassian Ghost and Phantom as reinforcements under Home One. It's a really tough team to beat. Rebels with Rebels seems to be the way to go.
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    I run slave1 as a RI, it seems to hold well on D. I'd be interested in hearing which ship would be better under Home One with Biggs HMF and Vader out front, with Cassian, TFP, and HT as additional RI. All are 7* except 5* HMF.

I would say, that 3 taunters is a bit excessive. Biggs and HT should usually do the trick. I would add a rebel or two - f.ex. Phantom as the first reinforcement to speed things up. Slave 1 dies too easily when fighting another AA / HMF fleet. I would prefer som more damage output and utility instead.
  • I use home one, fleet HT, HF, bistan, then ghost phantom Biggs wedge and tano.
  • With your current ships, I would focus on starring and gearing up Kylo’s TIE Silencer & Biggs’ X-Wing (plus their pilots) and change your fleet commander to either Tarkin or Ackbar.
  • Join discord fleet server. It’s amazing, filled with recommended lineups and folks willing to help you👍
    https://discord.gg/Zg2uWap
  • Jarvind
    3920 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Probably already stated above, but ship stats are all derived from the pilot's "crew power" stat. Anything that increases the character's GP will also increase their crew power: stars, ability levels, mods, gear. So you want to get your pilots as strong as possible for their ships to perform. Leveling up the ship itself is also important, but a level 85, 7 star ship will still die in one hit if it has an unmodded gear 5 pilot.

Important tip: when considering mods, the only things that affect crew power are the mod's number of dots and level. Color is irrelevant (unless you plan to slice to 6e), as are the actual stats on the mod and any set bonuses. So if you don't plan to use the pilot on the ground, you can level up 6 "bad" mods to 15 and throw them on there, and they'll have the same effect on the ship as an "optimal" mod set.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• Slave 1 is a bad choice as reinforcement IMO. You want to get to his bombs asap before you get smashed by an aoe and you can't do that with him coming off the bench. Make sure you read the kits. It's very important to put reinforcements on the right ships and use them as prescribed. Also usually gotta hit g11 or better with piolots to get to the heavy hittins. Good luck
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member
    Slave 1 is a bad choice as reinforcement IMO.

Yet, it's still a better choice than to necro all these discussions.