Squad Arena

Gannon
1626 posts Member
Squad arena is garbage. It should be replaced with something actually decent, or merged into GA rewards pool

Replies

• Snaklor
    43 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    I would love to see the rewards for GA and Squad Arena flipped so that GA becomes the primary focus of PvP. There are so many reasons why GA is a superior mode and a better test of rosters.
  • Agreed
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    I don't want to be at the mercy of matchmaking when it comes to crystal earning, so no thanks.
    (i've won 21 out of 24 GA rounds)
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Gannon
    1626 posts Member
    leef wrote: »
    I don't want to be at the mercy of matchmaking when it comes to crystal earning, so no thanks.

I get what you mean, but I've come to hate squad Arena. Only run the two needed for daily challenges, on auto. Cuz every team is the same, revan with speed mods. Soon it will be all Darth revan, and those who paid for him will get all the goods. It's just a terrible reward scheme.
    I'd much rather see it become a practice arena, with your allies listed rather than random ppl grouped into shards based on start time. Then give the rewards for completing battles or something.
  • There should be a option in squad arena with no Revans, might actually be fun again.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    My concern would be that any rework of the current system will end up with lower income of crystals for the players.

Also, GA or any other replacement cant really have a daily PO, so the income being spread out would also be a little different. I'm sure we could manage but would just change the normal cycle.
  • Gannon
    1626 posts Member
    I dunno if it'd be lower tho, really. Cuz there's only, what, a max of 24 ppl per shard who can get first place rewards? If they cycle up each hour, which is unlikely. And that's if they spend insane amounts of time slogging thru revan after revan every day lol. If they equalized it, or made it based on participation, players in the lower and middle end would get much more from it.
    As it is now tho is pretty terrible for the average player.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Gannon wrote: »

I get what you mean, but I've come to hate squad Arena. Only run the two needed for daily challenges, on auto. Cuz every team is the same, revan with speed mods. Soon it will be all Darth revan, and those who paid for him will get all the goods. It's just a terrible reward scheme.
    I'd much rather see it become a practice arena, with your allies listed rather than random ppl grouped into shards based on start time. Then give the rewards for completing battles or something.

I think not liking a game mode isn't a good enough reason to just move the rewards over to a game mode you do like.
    fwiw, i really disliked it when they added crystals to the fleet arena rewards, so it's not like i'm unfamiliar with the feeling.
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    I dunno if it'd be lower tho, really. Cuz there's only, what, a max of 24 ppl per shard who can get first place rewards? If they cycle up each hour, which is unlikely. And that's if they spend insane amounts of time slogging thru revan after revan every day lol. If they equalized it, or made it based on participation, players in the lower and middle end would get much more from it.

Previous examples of this coming down the pipeline have ended up with less rewards, but yes more spread out..... just not sure if that's a good thing.
  • At least in squad arena you can work on the current meta and have a team to climb ready in a relatively short interval.
    In GA, if you happen to be stuck with a bunch of G8-10 toons from previous developments that were cut in half for one reason or another, you have a matchmaking disadvantage that can't be fixed quickly. It is something to work towards too, but many players would miss out on crystals just because they started the game when level 70 and G8 was the cap.
    Switching the two reward systems is about the dumbest proposal I have read. Making GA rewards more appealing could have potential, so does diversifying arena.
    Switching or merging the two would only cause more problems.
  • Gannon
    1626 posts Member
    Yea, all valid points. I just wish they'd do something with it. I don't think it's changed at all since I started playing years ago.

I've never met anyone who actually enjoys squad Arena, they just do it for the rewards.
  • Gannon
    1626 posts Member
    w8d3tkmhvfmi.png
    squad Arena is primarily pay to win, and needs to be put to an end.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Ofcourse players who pay get a leg up vs those that don't, but i still wouldn't consider arena p2w.
    Also, it remains to be seen whether or not spending on DRevan actually gives you a leg up vs those that didn't, it's not looking promissing at the moment.
  • Gannon
    1626 posts Member
    edited March 2019
    Ofcourse players who pay get a leg up vs those that don't, but i still wouldn't consider arena p2w.
    Also, it remains to be seen whether or not spending on DRevan actually gives you a leg up vs those that didn't, it's not looking promissing at the moment.

I get that for some aspects of the game, but how many ppl are in each shard? I've seen up to 2,000 ranks. That means that a very small percentage are actually getting the high end rewards in arena, which seems ridiculous to me. Back when there were a dozen competing meta teams it wasn't an issue, but now it's one team taking the top 100.
    They broke it a long while back. It's not fun or engaging, it's not competitive at all. It's all about who pays for new metas, and they get all the crystals.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

I get that for some aspects of the game, but many ppl are in each shard? I've seen up to 2,000 ranks. That means that a very small percentage are actually getting the high end rewards in arena, which seems ridiculous to me. Back when there were a dozen competing meta teams it wasn't an issue, but now it's one team taking the top 100.
    They broke it a long while back. It's not fun or engaging, it's not competitive at all. It's all about who pays for new metas, and they get all the crystals.

Imo it's quite a large percentage that is getting high end arena rewards due to how arena leaderboards are set up. It's freaking amazing that i only have to compete with a select group of players (around 10k players i believe) who all started playing at roughly the same time i did.
    The fact that everyone has the same team makes it even more f2p friendly and less p2w.
  • Gannon
    1626 posts Member

I get that for some aspects of the game, but many ppl are in each shard? I've seen up to 2,000 ranks. That means that a very small percentage are actually getting the high end rewards in arena, which seems ridiculous to me. Back when there were a dozen competing meta teams it wasn't an issue, but now it's one team taking the top 100.

Imo it's quite a large percentage that is getting high end arena rewards due to how arena leaderboards are set up. It's freaking amazing that i only have to compete with a select group of players (around 10k players i believe) who all started playing at roughly the same time i did.
    The fact that everyone has the same team makes it even more f2p friendly and less p2w.

I dunno about that, highest I've gotten was 25 with the same meta team as the other top 200 in my shard, and despite having better mods than most I couldn't ever break thru that barrier. Get knocked down faster than I can hit. Meanwhile most of my guild has a lesser version of the same team and are much higher ranks. It's ridiculous.

And the Darth revans are absolutely paid for. No-one in the game has a g11 or g12 Darth revan right now off t they haven spent money. It's literally impossible, especially with the new gear
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

I dunno about that, highest I've gotten was 25 with the same meta team as the other top 200 in my shard, and despite having better mods than most I couldn't ever break thru that barrier. Get knocked down faster than I can hit. Meanwhile most of my guild has a lesser version of the same team and are much higher ranks. It's ridiculous.

And the Darth revans are absolutely paid for. No-one in the game has a g11 or g12 Darth revan right now off t they haven spent money. It's literally impossible, especially with the new gear

It costs roughly 5750 crystals to get those 2 new gearpieces, so i wouldn't call it impossible to have a g11/12 DRevan right now.
  • Gannon
    1626 posts Member

It costs roughly 5750 crystals to get those 2 new gearpieces, so i wouldn't call it impossible to have a g11/12 DRevan right now.

Impossible without spending isn't the same as impossible. It's obviously possible. But without spending money, who has 5750 crystals, plus whatever it took to finish getting stars for the old repubs plus gearing them to 11+? 👀 I've yet to hear of a f2p player who already has a g11+ Darth revan squad in arenas the day it dropped.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member

Impossible without spending isn't the same as impossible. It's obviously possible. But without spending money, who has 5750 crystals, plus whatever it took to finish getting stars for the old repubs plus gearing them to 11+? 👀 I've yet to hear of a f2p player who already has a g11+ Darth revan squad in arenas the day it dropped.

i obviously meant without paying since having 6k crystals is not uncommon for f2p players who do well in the arena(s).
    I could easily g12 my DRevan right now if i wanted to and i'm completely f2p. I'm however not in a rush since it would cost me more crystals, but it's by no means impossible without paying.
  • Gannon
    1626 posts Member

i obviously meant without paying since having 6k crystals is not uncommon for f2p players who do well in the arena(s).
    I could easily g12 my DRevan right now if i wanted to and i'm completely f2p. I'm however not in a rush since it would cost me more crystals, but it's by no means impossible without paying.

Well you've had better luck than anyone I know. I could maybe get enough crystals together to finish farming DR, but wouldn't have enough by far to gear him to 11+ today. That's months and months of hoarding crystals if you don't pay for em.
  • Tbirds01
    1235 posts Member
    Yea, all valid points. I just wish they'd do something with it. I don't think it's changed at all since I started playing years ago.

I've never met anyone who actually enjoys squad Arena, they just do it for the rewards.

I enjoy squad arena.😉 One of my favorite modes, always has been.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • Gannon
    1626 posts Member
    Tbirds01 wrote: »

You enjoy fighting revan constantly? Or are you in a lower tier where there's variety? 👀 just curious, cuz you're legit the first I've ever seen to say that
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

You enjoy fighting revan constantly? Or are you in a lower tier where there's variety? 👀 just curious, cuz you're legit the first I've ever seen to say that

I enjoy squad arena. One of my favourite game modes. Always has been
  • Waqui
    8802 posts Member

Well you've had better luck than anyone I know. I could maybe get enough crystals together to finish farming DR, but wouldn't have enough by far to gear him to 11+ today. That's months and months of hoarding crystals if you don't pay for em.

Luck's got nothing to do with it. Piling up crystals instead of spending them is not unusual.
  • Kyno wrote: »

Previous examples of this coming down the pipeline have ended up with less rewards, but yes more spread out..... just not sure if that's a good thing.
    That would definitely be a good thing for the health of the game. If there weren't such huge differences between the payout ranks, for example it would reduce the motivation for some of those toxic players; those who constantly ruin other players' fun by teaming up and chain locking people as soon as they hit the top 10-20 before their payout. Such behaviours will only stop if the game mechanics make it less beneficial for them. From a commercial point, think about it this way... why should a player be motivated to spend money on a new meta toon if they have the bad luck to be in a shard that will never let them reach the top ranks, no matter how great their team would be?
  • Tbirds01
    1235 posts Member

I don’t fight revan all the time, in a lower area, yes.😄 sorry for the late response.
    Tag me if you reply to my comment so I know I should answer you!😀 My roster: https://swgoh.gg/p/842694912/
  • Hortus
    621 posts Member
    Kyno wrote: »
    My concern would be that any rework of the current system will end up with lower income of crystals for the players.

Also, GA or any other replacement cant really have a daily PO, so the income being spread out would also be a little different. I'm sure we could manage but would just change the normal cycle.

Of course it will lower overall income because it will shut down the practice of sharing max possible rewards through shard chats instead of really competing for it (as it must be in PvP). But it's hardly a bad thing.

And daily PO problem is easy to solve - they just can calculate GA rating monthly and then send every player crystals daily during the month according to that rating. If GA will become main PvP mode they will need global GA rating anyway.

It also will solve a very bad practice (for mobile game) where players essentially must be online every day in certain hours to receive max payout.