Royal Guard Rework Idea

Ichiraikou
758 posts Member
edited April 2019
Just an idea I had. Tell me what you think.
Royal Guard
Dark Side, Empire, Tank
Versatile Empire tank that Guards his Emperor and punishes enemies for attacking other allies.

Force Pike (Basic)
Deal Physical damage to target enemy and inflict Speed Down for 2 turns. If Royal Guard has above 50% health, also Stun the target for 1 turn. Otherwise Royal Guard recovers 15% Health.

Imperial Phalanx (Special) (Cooldown: 3 Turns)
Dispel all debuffs from all allies and grant them Defence Up for 2 turns. Empire allies gain 35% Turn meter and Potency Up for 2 turns. If Emperor Palpatine is Present, he and Royal Guard gain Retribution for 2 turns.

Unyielding Defender (Unique)
At the end of each turn, for each other ally that took damage during that turn, Royal Guard gains 10% Turn Meter and Recovers 10% Protection. In addition, Royal Guard Taunts for 1 turn and Recovers 35% Health whenever another ally falls below 100% Health.

Emperor’s Guard (Unique)
At the start of battle, grant Guard to Emperor Palpatine until Royal Guard is defeated. In addition, Royal Guard and Emperor Palpatine have +50% Defence and Potency.
At the end of each turn, if another Empire ally took damage during that turn, that ally recovers 10% Protection, doubled for Emperor Palpatine.
Guard: Can’t be Critically hit, Immune to Daze and Stun, +25% Critical Chance.
(Zeta) Whenever an enemy Resists a Debuff from an Empire ally, that enemy loses 5% Turn Meter and Tenacity until the end of battle. These effect’s can’t be Resisted.
Post edited by Ichiraikou on

Replies

• I feel like the health recovery on his basic attack could be a bit higher, but I really like this idea. Is there a zeta?
  • Make royal guard great again. I like the synergy with ep!
  • dimi4a wrote: »
    I like this!!!
    I'm glad you do.
    Make royal guard great again. I like the synergy with ep!
    So do I.
    I feel like the health recovery on his basic attack could be a bit higher, but I really like this idea. Is there a zeta?
    I could increase the health recovery to 15%, but no higher as he also recovers health when he gains taunt and can gain health steal up from palpatine.
    He currently doesn't have a zeta. I did have a few idea's for one but then started wondering whether he really needs one. Plenty of good characters without zeta's. But I'm still thinking about it. I had 3 idea's for possible zeta's. I put them in the spoiler tag. Tell me what option you prefer or give an idea of your own @DaPowerfulJedi
    1st idea:
    When Emperor Palpatine is defeated while Royal Guard is active, he is revived at 100% health and protection and royal guard is defeated. When royal guard is defeated, Emperor palpatine gains 100% Turn Meter and +25% Offence, Speed and Potency until the end of battle. These effects can't be prevented.
    2nd idea:
    The first time Emperor Palpatine would be reduced below 100% health.... (savior essentially, you get the idea)
    3rd idea:
    Whenever an enemy Resists a debuff from an Empire ally, that enemy loses 5% Turn Meter, which can't be Resisted.
  • Ichiraikou wrote: »
    dimi4a wrote: »
    I like this!!!
    I'm glad you do.
    Make royal guard great again. I like the synergy with ep!
    So do I.
    I feel like the health recovery on his basic attack could be a bit higher, but I really like this idea. Is there a zeta?
    I could increase the health recovery to 15%, but no higher as he also recovers health when he gains taunt and can gain health steal up from palpatine.
    He currently doesn't have a zeta. I did have a few idea's for one but then started wondering whether he really needs one. Plenty of good characters without zeta's. But I'm still thinking about it. I had 3 idea's for possible zeta's. I put them in the spoiler tag. Tell me what option you prefer or give an idea of your own @DaPowerfulJedi
    1st idea:
    When Emperor Palpatine is defeated while Royal Guard is active, he is revived at 100% health and protection and royal guard is defeated. When royal guard is defeated, Emperor palpatine gains 100% Turn Meter and +25% Offence, Speed and Potency until the end of battle. These effects can't be prevented.
    2nd idea:
    The first time Emperor Palpatine would be reduced below 100% health.... (savior essentially, you get the idea)
    3rd idea:
    Whenever an enemy Resists a debuff from an Empire ally, that enemy loses 5% Turn Meter, which can't be Resisted.

I think, either the first one (that would be really good though maybe with a cooldown reset?) or the third one, but instead of losing TM, they lose tenacity (stacking) which can't be resisted.
  • I think, either the first one (that would be really good though maybe with a cooldown reset?) or the third one, but instead of losing TM, they lose tenacity (stacking) which can't be resisted.
    I like the idea of losing tenacity. Would really help with high tenacity teams. The cooldown reduction on top of the 100% health, protection and Turn Meter might be a bit to much. Not to mention his ability's aren't that long to begin with. And work with his Shock a lot. Don't think that is a good idea. I'm going to roll with the 3rd one for now

• gusyud
    41 posts Member
    royal guard cannot be defeated (health = 1) as long as the emperor Palpatine has not been defeated.
  • This... we need this
  • I feel like given how the game has changed, his taunt should trigger when a unit drops below 100% health, rather than 50%
  • CG will never consider these fan builds, but they are fun to think about.
    I feel like given how the game has changed, his taunt should trigger when a unit drops below 100% health, rather than 50%
    A very good point. 50% health isn't what it once was. RG may never Taunt under the 50% condition, and that's just not going to work.

Move your zeta because it's more of a general effect not explicitly applicable to Emperor:
    At the end of each turn, for each other ally that took damage during that turn, Royal Guard gains 10% Turn Meter and Recovers 10% Protection. In addition, Royal Guard Taunts for 1 turn and Recovers 35% Health whenever another ally falls below 50% 100% Health.
    (Zeta) Whenever an enemy Resists a Debuff from an Empire ally, that enemy loses 5% Turn Meter and Tenacity until the end of battle. These effect’s can’t be Resisted.

Emphasize synergy with Emperor and add a little something:
    Emperor’s Guard (Unique)
    At the start of battle, grant Guard to Emperor Palpatine until Royal Guard is defeated. Royal Guard and Emperor Palpatine gain +50% Defence and Potency. At the end of each turn, if another Empire ally took damage during that turn, that ally recovers 10% Protection, doubled for Emperor Palpatine. if Emperor Palpatine took damage he recovers 20% Protection. If another Empire ally took damage, they recover half this amount.
    (Zeta) Whenever Emperor Palpatine uses his basic ability, Royal Guard assists dealing 30% less damage.
  • Don’t know if this is added yet, but I always thought royal guard would be a lot better if imperial phalanx was a cleanse. The rest of the changes are really good as well
  • Seems like I've gotten quite some feedback :)
    Georgemi6 wrote: »
    Don’t know if this is added yet, but I always thought royal guard would be a lot better if imperial phalanx was a cleanse. The rest of the changes are really good as well
    Not a bad idea. The empire lacks dispellers at the moment. I've also been thinking that the health up isn't such a good idea anyway. Due to Emperor palptine's let the hate flow. (it would increase the flat number but probably decrease the percentage that is healed).
    I feel like given how the game has changed, his taunt should trigger when a unit drops below 100% health, rather than 50%
    I do suppose that is true. This would also create a unique synergy with let the hate flow. Seeing as that ability could cause another ally to drop below 100% Health. Or at least more easily than 50%.
    CG will never consider these fan builds, but they are fun to think about.
    A very good point. 50% health isn't what it once was. RG may never Taunt under the 50% condition, and that's just not going to work.

Move your zeta because it's more of a general effect not explicitly applicable to Emperor:
    At the end of each turn, for each other ally that took damage during that turn, Royal Guard gains 10% Turn Meter and Recovers 10% Protection. In addition, Royal Guard Taunts for 1 turn and Recovers 35% Health whenever another ally falls below 50% 100% Health.

Emperor’s Guard (Unique)
    At the start of battle, grant Guard to Emperor Palpatine until Royal Guard is defeated. Royal Guard and Emperor Palpatine gain +50% Defence and Potency. At the end of each turn, if another Empire ally took damage during that turn, that ally recovers 10% Protection, doubled for Emperor Palpatine. if Emperor Palpatine took damage he recovers 20% Protection. If another Empire ally took damage, they recover half this amount.
    (Zeta) Whenever Emperor Palpatine uses his basic ability, Royal Guard assists dealing 30% less damage.
    This I disagree with. He already has 3 ability's in the game which all go up to omega. Changing one of them to a zeta is impractical. On top of that I was already debating whether he should have even 1 zeta. I'm definitely not going to give him 2. I also don't like the zeta idea itself. Palpatine didn't really seem like the cooperative type. Sure they're his guards but that's it. An assist really doesn't fit them to my opinion. Especially since they can already gain Retribution.

• Ichiraikou wrote: »
    CG will never consider these fan builds, but they are fun to think about.

Emperor’s Guard (Unique)
    This I disagree with. He already has 3 ability's in the game which all go up to omega. Changing one of them to a zeta is impractical. On top of that I was already debating whether he should have even 1 zeta. I'm definitely not going to give him 2. I also don't like the zeta idea itself. Palpatine didn't really seem like the cooperative type. Sure they're his guards but that's it. An assist really doesn't fit them to my opinion. Especially since they can already gain Retribution.

Well fine then. I'll take my ball and go home.
  • None of all these but a sacrifice power similar to NS zombie (just 1x though) for EP would be very useful.
  • For lore purposes though, have Palpatine throw him in front of himself to take the hit instead of sacrificing himself...it fits the narrative a lot better IMO.