Connection between EA/Capital Games and KOTOR

Just wanted to start a thread where the community shares knowledge and facts showing a connection between SWGOH developers and the KOTOR franchise, to prove that they must be getting some sort of royalties for every purchase of the old games through Steam, online etc. where they’re that greedy where they would overuse it’s characters in SWGOH for a little extra coin. Great games, no doubt. But when the entire community is saying enough KOTOR already, and they’re not listening, to the point of making the game overpowered in favor of the KOTOR character buyers, one has to wonder about their intentions. EA has gotten in trouble in the past for predatory money practices with Battlefront, so I wouldn’t put it past them. Discuss.

Replies

• VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Some of the community like KOTOR. 2 video games = about 80 hours of content.

All 11(?) Movies = about 30 hours.

Its not as if there isnt justification.
  • I'm sick of the KOTOR personally simply because I never played the original games so have no sentiments towards them. However, you're crazy if you think "the entire community" is saying enough of it.
  • Georgemi6
    1236 posts Member
    VonZant wrote: »

That’s not the point he is making... he’s asking if CG/EA is doing some back room dealing in which they get some cash from KoToR and swgoh cooperating. From OP’s POV, this is the reason the devs have focused for KoToR for a year despite the backlash.

I personally find it unlikely, I just think the devs fanboyed a bit too much and got carried away. And, they also got carried away with the packs and other junk. Although, it is EA, so I wouldn’t be surprised either way.
  • If that’s the motivation, can we please get whoever controls the Star Wars literature at Disney over here to provide some incentives!
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Georgemi6 wrote: »
    VonZant wrote: »

That’s not the point he is making... he’s asking if CG/EA is doing some back room dealing in which they get some cash from KoToR and swgoh cooperating. From OP’s POV, this is the reason the devs have focused for KoToR for a year despite the backlash.

I personally find it unlikely, I just think the devs fanboyed a bit too much and got carried away. And, they also got carried away with the packs and other junk. Although, it is EA, so I wouldn’t be surprised either way.

I understand his point. Not sure back room deals are necessary. Pretty sure EA has some ownership stake in KOTOR.
  • Yes I would say that EA gets kickbacks from *checks notes* EA.
  • Just wanted to start a thread where the community shares knowledge and facts showing a connection between SWGOH developers and the KOTOR franchise, to prove that they must be getting some sort of royalties for every purchase of the old games through Steam, online etc. where they’re that greedy where they would overuse it’s characters in SWGOH for a little extra coin. Great games, no doubt. But when the entire community is saying enough KOTOR already, and they’re not listening, to the point of making the game overpowered in favor of the KOTOR character buyers, one has to wonder about their intentions. EA has gotten in trouble in the past for predatory money practices with Battlefront, so I wouldn’t put it past them. Discuss.

KOTOR is an EA franchise. I guess I'm not 100% sure what this thread is about.
  • Not sick of KOTOR here. Stop generalizing.
  • I know 6 months seems *forever* in video game time, but honestly, they put out the characters to unlock Revan and then added Revan, then put out the characters/reworks for Dr Evan, and then put out Dr Evan, and then culminated the journey with Malak. On paper, it's not a bad roadmap for what is essentially a trio of events, during which we've also got C3PO and Chewie. They've also already stated that they are moving on and working with Clone Wars era stuff for the next little while, which I honestly expected will last until Clone Wars returns, i believe in October? If they stuck to just the films, we'd be out of content pretty quickly...
  • Not sick of kotor here at all. Would much rather have old republic than anything from the sequel stuff that I hate.
  • KOTOR characters were the most requested toons in the game a few months prior to their release.

You’re reaching.
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Just wanted to start a thread where the community shares knowledge and facts showing a connection between SWGOH developers and the KOTOR franchise, to prove that they must be getting some sort of royalties for every purchase of the old games through Steam, online etc. where they’re that greedy where they would overuse it’s characters in SWGOH for a little extra coin. Great games, no doubt. But when the entire community is saying enough KOTOR already, and they’re not listening, to the point of making the game overpowered in favor of the KOTOR character buyers, one has to wonder about their intentions. EA has gotten in trouble in the past for predatory money practices with Battlefront, so I wouldn’t put it past them. Discuss.

You're supposed to wear the tin foil hat, not chew on it.
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    both games are owned by disney...
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • Kyno
    32087 posts Moderator
    They have explained thier desire behind bringing in that content.

If you wish to discuss or look into the business relationships and deals that are going on, that is not really a topic for this site, as that is not about that game.
This discussion has been closed.