Grand Arena Megathread

Replies

• Stokat
    822 posts Member
    Slaveen wrote: »
    I love this aspect of the game, don’t get me wrong. Like I said, normally 6-7 of the opponents in GA matches are fairly evenly matched. Meaning- they at least have a chance, even if sometimes it’s only 30-40% chance. I realize perfect 50/50 matches are pretty much impossible unless each player has the exact same roster at the exact same gear level with the exact same zetas.... etc. So whatever algorithm is being used is not worthless- I just want the algorithm to be refined - because 1-2 of those teams do not have a 30-40% chance.

For example, my first match during this GA was against an opponent who could have allowed the game to automatically set his defense and then auto attack for him (if there was such a feature) and he still would have won. This is why the algorithm needs refinement. I had a less than 5% chance.

Again, I know it will never be a perfect 50/50. But instead of 6-7 players being matched where the chance of victory is 70/30 or 60/40 in each round, I’d like for all 8 players to have these odds in each round.

Agreed, it is super fun game mode but when you have no realistic chance to win (or your opponent doesn’t) it becomes much less so. Maybe raise the minimum gp of a toon taken into account during matchmaking would help somewhat.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Stokat wrote: »
    I love this aspect of the game, don’t get me wrong. Like I said, normally 6-7 of the opponents in GA matches are fairly evenly matched. Meaning- they at least have a chance, even if sometimes it’s only 30-40% chance. I realize perfect 50/50 matches are pretty much impossible unless each player has the exact same roster at the exact same gear level with the exact same zetas.... etc. So whatever algorithm is being used is not worthless- I just want the algorithm to be refined - because 1-2 of those teams do not have a 30-40% chance.

For example, my first match during this GA was against an opponent who could have allowed the game to automatically set his defense and then auto attack for him (if there was such a feature) and he still would have won. This is why the algorithm needs refinement. I had a less than 5% chance.

Again, I know it will never be a perfect 50/50. But instead of 6-7 players being matched where the chance of victory is 70/30 or 60/40 in each round, I’d like for all 8 players to have these odds in each round.

Agreed, it is super fun game mode but when you have no realistic chance to win (or your opponent doesn’t) it becomes much less so. Maybe raise the minimum gp of a toon taken into account during matchmaking would help somewhat.
    A 6k GP minimum toon GP like TW or a minimum which scales with the player's total GP might help somewhat. Need to figure out a different scale for ships because 6k is meaningless there.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    N

10k seems appropriate, not much below that will ever see use in GA.
    I've suggested that before also..
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    Gannon wrote: »
    N

With my suggestion they would not have to tweak anything with the matchmaking formula and just make a quick adjustment to the pools of players top 50 bottom 50
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Dk_rek wrote: »
    N

With my suggestion they would not have to tweak anything with the matchmaking formula and just make a quick adjustment to the pools of players top 50 bottom 50

Yea true. I've suggested so many approaches, and most would likely work equally well. I don't really care if it's only counting top 50, raising the join gp of toons to 10k, add zetas to the matching system, etc..
    But clearly something should be done to improve the matchmaking.
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    Let me tell you what happened..I set all my very best squads on defense knowing full well I wouldn't be able to attack as stated my opponent had way more zata(s) count then I plus all the meta toons this game has too offer..same gp...I'm a very broad roster player. However I did sacrifice my attack turn fully 100% ...with this defense set...."all in" on defense. And my opponent goes through it like a walk through the park. "1 shot completes" He did stumble but once or twice "2 and done" But the best I had wasn't enough to stop him. I can't even attack, nothing to attack with..what very little remains...I can't hodge podge together for even 1 win for multiple attempts. That GA round...very not fun....the best I can do to my opponents is trip them once or twice but nothing significant to give them pause. And he will walk away with 2/3 zatas more to finish out yet another ability Zata on another toon which he doesn't need to continue in his current matchmaking...myself another GA loss with multiple rounds of losses...and am required too smile as if it is all working..all ok...and prepare myself for a repeat performance in another identical GA.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    I just hope they don't double down... Hiya holotables... we hear you.... we know matchmaking is making some epic bad matches and ruining the game mode for a lot of people..... that's why we would like to announce we are making the phases 48 hours..... The extra day will allow you enough time to use every team in your inventory so the person destroying you into oblivion can have the satisfaction of seeing 72 defends against his unbeatable team.....

See ya on the holo's ya'll.
  • evoluza wrote: »
    TRanger wrote: »
    Let me tell you what happened..I set all my very best squads on defense knowing full well I wouldn't be able to attack as stated my opponent had way more zata(s) count then I plus all the meta toons this game has too offer..same gp...I'm a very broad roster player. However I did sacrifice my attack turn fully 100% ...with this defense set...."all in" on defense. And my opponent goes through it like a walk through the park. "1 shot completes" He did stumble but once or twice "2 and done" But the best I had wasn't enough to stop him. I can't even attack, nothing to attack with..what very little remains...I can't hodge podge together for even 1 win for multiple attempts. That GA round...very not fun....the best I can do to my opponents is trip them once or twice but nothing significant to give them pause. And he will walk away with 2/3 zatas more to finish out yet another ability Zata on another toon which he doesn't need to continue in his current matchmaking...myself another GA loss with multiple rounds of losses...and am required too smile as if it is all working..all ok...and prepare myself for a repeat performance in another identical GA.

Your tactic is poop. That's why you lose.
    Take your best squads into attack, go max points and give him some b or c teams to attack. Baam, you both take teams out and the one with more points wins.
    Is it that hard to figure out?
    As I sayed, some play that game on recruit difficulty.

Of course you know you were always there with all my matches and all the different things I have tried. Smarten up! Your assumption (take a good look at that word, grab a dictionary and gain a little education, don't get stuck on the first 3 letters) that this is the only strategy your mistaking. Take a minute read all the post this incident is not isolated and there are detrimental issues with the GA. Unless you are the one being under matched vs your over matched opponents. And are being generously granted wins at the expenses of others repeatedly.
  • Anyone else noticing that every time fleet is involved in ga the rewards aren’t worth having. Feels like an intentional move against those who invested in fleet
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Anyone else noticing that every time fleet is involved in ga the rewards aren’t worth having. Feels like an intentional move against those who invested in fleet

To me it seems the opposite, as those not invested in fleet at all will have vastly higher character gp than those who did. So they'll usually get the win, but with junk rewards.
  • Rath_Tarr
    4944 posts Member
    Anyone else noticing that every time fleet is involved in ga the rewards aren’t worth having. Feels like an intentional move against those who invested in fleet
    I can use character and ship omega mats just as much as zeta mats. What cheeses me off still was chopping the gear salvage in half.
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member

It's not the zetas it's the mods..... I feel like I've gone all in on getting 6 dot mods... granted i'm only in the 50s but I lose the majority of the wars I'm in towards the bottom.... The guy who won this time and from his roster EVERY time had 96 6* mods and he get's 3 more every time he wins plus the mad farming he is doing...and now can just whale even more with the shipments...

2 zetas over a few months is like one or two zetas but mods that gap becomes massive..
  • Dk_rek
    3299 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    WOW........AWESOME BRACKET THIS TIME....

no matter what I do how I play it..... INSTANT AUTO LOSS.... holy god what is going on..

well there's a boring week....no defense set, no defense set, no defense set.... get my last place rewards i would have gotten anyway.....

GA IS fun..

Wait....there is one other guy decent roster but mathwise I could possibly win..... but with the matchmaking I might never face him..... so just no set and pray I get a shot at the 7-5

lol this guy could prob just drop malak as a team....hahah and 120 defends
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Gotta admit tho that I hate that the start time for grand arena is different from territory battle and territory war.. There's no reason for that. Let me check all my events at the same time.
    @CG_SBCrumb any chance that can be looked into at some point? Qol and all...
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Dk_rek wrote: »

It's not the zetas it's the mods..... I feel like I've gone all in on getting 6 dot mods... granted i'm only in the 50s but I lose the majority of the wars I'm in towards the bottom.... The guy who won this time and from his roster EVERY time had 96 6* mods and he get's 3 more every time he wins plus the mad farming he is doing...and now can just whale even more with the shipments...

2 zetas over a few months is like one or two zetas but mods that gap becomes massive..

Mods do have a huge impact..but when you can set a Zata on just about every toon, and do the same on Offense...and I can only do half as much..it is a loss and has been every time. I have all toons unlocked and lvl 85 minus the Droid Marquees, malak JKR....and the matchaking does disadvantage you because of that...how because all the GP is accounted as such when it is no where near fair in comparison of the amount of zatas or mods used by the opposing player. And instead of CG looking at this and saying you know he is right it is unfair match up and he is being disadvantage others as well let's balance this so as to make it more enjoyable and then truly make matches where all have the same chance at number 1 spot.

Instead it feels as if they they are saying "nope **** you, deal with it you suck get better, **** on you and your cash spent, your trash, you don't deserve an equal and fair chance at any such progression, we just don't like you or others like you who have played our game as designed, we only want the guys we selected to win to actually win. We have a defective product with In the game but we don't really care about your concerns and your input is welcome but we are not ever going to act on it. That's the message I'm getting.

The more zatas I gain to balance myself out they up the anti. There is a gap and I feel it will never be filled or met. Because as I Increase my Zata and "non fluff toons" they just slide the scale further forward, keeping me at a disadvantage. I'm realizing it is to protect the guys up front and for me to keep forking over cash so that they can continue without ever having to drop a dime. Others to play at my expense is over. Garbage game mode so I'll just collect more of thier garbage. Imagine if we showed them how much we appreciate them as they do us. It's all a joke. LOL!

@Dk_rek ...shoot me your Ally code I will add you as a friend...or IM me?..I don't know how to do IMs.
  • Why do we keep getting garbage rewards? They said they’d reduce the rewards due to higher frequency of GA, not reduce and make worse. Come on, bring back stun guns. I have multiple characters that need those. Whereas I have one character (that I don’t use) in need of the shield.

Ga is starting to become a waste of time.
    Where are the Stun Guns?
  • G1G4W4TTS
    12 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Unfortunately, it seems like grand arena has turned into yet another method to reward p2p whales with an additional opportunity obliterate completely underpowered opponents who just so happen to have obviously spent considerably less $$. Half the group doesn't even bother to attack as it's obviously a massacre awaiting them. Fortunately for myself there's been 1 or 2 poor fellows who are weaker than at least myself. It's a pretty simple formula. Don't put darth revan and p2p lineup against mosly f2p opponents. Fyi people get tired of being batha fodder for your p2p. The games been around a couple years, they should be maxing out their ccards some day. Probably hard trying to mortgage swgoh kyber crystal. My proof in point. Try not setting a defense in GA as a strategy to prevent giving definate points in an unfair matchup. Some of you may know by now, they autofill all of your defense positions in order or gp, don't even make any attempt to make a team. They must know how obvious it what they're concern is, making sure the people with the $$ get the points.
  • Lichbane wrote: »
    Why do we keep getting garbage rewards? They said they’d reduce the rewards due to higher frequency of GA, not reduce and make worse. Come on, bring back stun guns. I have multiple characters that need those. Whereas I have one character (that I don’t use) in need of the shield.

Ga is starting to become a waste of time.

You're right on about the sun guns. People are quitting the game due to lack of stun guns. It's an blatant move to force players to buy them yet called an improvement. Lol
  • Can we all agree that the format for GA 11 is the worst thing ever, and should be eliminated from every occurring again? How can you force us to put 6 squads in 1 territory and 1 fleet the the only other territory? Also, if you're going to do this, what kind of balance is there in the conquer bonuses? 155 for taking out 1 fleet? But less than double that for taking out 6 squads? Seems odd. I lost this opening round purely on the imbalance: I cleared his squads way more efficiently than he did, but I'm not a mega whale and don't have maxed falcon and ebon hawk and all that ship nonsense, so I couldn't clear his fleet. I lost by less than 100 banners, even though he got my fleet, too. If we're gonna have a round where clearing a 2-squad territory is worth an extra 300 banners, why does a 6 squad territory get the same treatment? Also, also, why am splitting that many squads into so few territories in the first place? GA balance was better before CG started trying to "fix" it. There was never anything wrong with it, but now there is.
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    No your incorrect..there was always something wrong and still is. First they accounted for all GP including ships when they weren't being used. And what they did then are still doing is accounting for all GP to include zatas vs non Zata toons 2 non Zata toons can equal one Zata toon but that Zata toon will easily dispatch an entire roster of non Zata toons up to a full squad of 5 non zatas with 2.5x it's own power in any given battle, alone. And matching will count those all equal when they are not.

And in all my matches I have been Zata overpowered by 10-15+ and more zatas Everytime. And the squad placement uses just about all I have and my opponents still have plenty too spare where I do not. But yet I'm expected to clear his Zata squads with my non Zata toons...when I have already established that a Zata toon can end a non Zata squad alone. That is where it is unbalanced. So instead of CG matching zata vs Zata +GP of my top of roster they match it with all of my roster (100%) that matches against only the top 30-40% of lean rosters.

They stamp it fair and equal seeing how the GP matches. But this does not make it fair or equal and no where near balanced. They claim fair (all going for the same rewards) equal (because GP matches) and they know it isn't balanced. It is no where near fair and equal when it comes to roster.

So what happens is only those who built for lean pvp play get matched vs broad play and only a broad roster is challenged the lean walk away with premium rewards for no effort and broad roster players are disadvantage. So instead of matching lean vs lean broad with broad they favor lean. When the game is designed for broad. And nothing in the game works with broad...most of the game is group play.

Lean argue that TB play doesn't favor them..when it does because everyone gets the same rewards regardless of how well that guild does in TB...all rewards and all progression is shared. In GA this isn't the case ...it is a game mode designed to test every one's roster but the unbalanced matchaking (unfair roster match) doesn't test the lean and they continue to reap all of the rewards. Solo(GA) and guild group (TB)...as well as (TW) because lean guilds will be favored vs broad guilds under the same matching.
  • Can we all agree that the format for GA 11 is the worst thing ever, and should be eliminated from every occurring again?
    Nope.
  • Whatever algorithm is being used for matchups in ga and tw is still God awful
  • Wimma
    152 posts Member
    I can't comment on TW matching, as only got to do twice - guild is too small so usually just misses out :(
    But I'm doing ok in GA as a f2p, mostly because for the last few months I've held back upgrading and using a lot of characters. I figure until I can get them fully leveled, skilled and geared to G10+ they are just a GA handicap that inflates my GP. Too many of my opponents have full G12 squads with many zetas, and I already have 20+ toons L85 G7-9 that are largely ineffective in GA.
    Still fascinates me a game mode penalises you for investing in characters!
    I had (incorrectly) assumed by now they'd put a minimum entry power per character, like TW.
    Be curious to understand why they haven't.
    If they don't, do hope they just double the number of squads, so we can try some new toons out!
    Not complaining, is a fun game with loads of content.
  • DarthMarr wrote: »
    evoluza wrote: »
    Amusing... When you lose, the matching is unfair. If you win, it's okay...

I don't get why people always say this. Pretty much everyone knows matchmaking isn't optimal yet, whether they win or lose.

People don't usually come to forums to complain unless it negatively affects them or someone they know. How is that amusing?

The fact that people want: zetas, mods and everything else calculated, to get an even opponent and they stand a chance. That's amusing. It's an pvp match after all and it seems most are just not used to losing!
    So desperate to win, that they want everything changed, so they can win...

yea, I get that. While I haven't had any issue with losing, I can still get behind the idea of factoring zetas. Especially since they removed ship gp to accommodate ship heavy players, it's become much worse for my matchmaking.
    Matching mods and toons and such would be ridiculous. As I've said before, total gp is the best objective way to match players, out of what's currently in game, but gp can be paid for, Zetas can't. Factoring zetas would mean that players with roughly equal time invested would be facing other, similar Activity level players. So a 1 year player would most likely face another 1 year player with a similar activity level.
    This would be much more fair than me stomping casual players when they can't even take one zone down..

Or...
    You face a whale how in half amount of time made his gp double as someone who ain't paid a penny. And you will still complain about that becouse you will lose.
    Ex. I'm my shard the 1st dude started as me in 2018 oktober. He has 3x zeta then me, and double overall gp double charter gp and dunle shop gp, and I'm focused as hell. He has all legendery and journey charter since then included OT falcon.
    And you want to be matched with a super whale player like that in GA.

Except you wont cause he has a higher gp then you whales almost mean nothing in ga unless they hyper focused there roster but a ftp could do the same but tske longer and might have better mods and more understanding of the teams and comps then a new whale player
  • DarthMarr wrote: »
    DarthMarr wrote: »
    Amusing... When you lose, the matching is unfair. If you win, it's okay...

I don't get why people always say this. Pretty much everyone knows matchmaking isn't optimal yet, whether they win or lose.

People don't usually come to forums to complain unless it negatively affects them or someone they know. How is that amusing?

The fact that people want: zetas, mods and everything else calculated, to get an even opponent and they stand a chance. That's amusing. It's an pvp match after all and it seems most are just not used to losing!
    So desperate to win, that they want everything changed, so they can win...

yea, I get that. While I haven't had any issue with losing, I can still get behind the idea of factoring zetas. Especially since they removed ship gp to accommodate ship heavy players, it's become much worse for my matchmaking.
    Matching mods and toons and such would be ridiculous. As I've said before, total gp is the best objective way to match players, out of what's currently in game, but gp can be paid for, Zetas can't. Factoring zetas would mean that players with roughly equal time invested would be facing other, similar Activity level players. So a 1 year player would most likely face another 1 year player with a similar activity level.
    This would be much more fair than me stomping casual players when they can't even take one zone down..

Or...
    You face a whale how in half amount of time made his gp double as someone who ain't paid a penny. And you will still complain about that becouse you will lose.
    Ex. I'm my shard the 1st dude started as me in 2018 oktober. He has 3x zeta then me, and double overall gp double charter gp and dunle shop gp, and I'm focused as hell. He has all legendery and journey charter since then included OT falcon.
    And you want to be matched with a super whale player like that in GA.

Except you wont cause he has a higher gp then you whales almost mean nothing in ga unless they hyper focused there roster but a ftp could do the same but tske longer and might have better mods and more understanding of the teams and comps then a new whale player

Man this dude is focused and pay 1000$$$ not kidding. When someone matches with him, I'm pretty sure he wins. There is no wasted toon in his roster.
    So my stats are still standing

He could get matched with other whales or really competitive players at the same gp but most likely vets matched with players with fluff gp especially if they where an older player that needed jawas droids ext geared up to do the mod challenges and old raid comps that are useless now
  • TRanger
    329 posts Member
    Wimma wrote: »
    I can't comment on TW matching, as only got to do twice - guild is too small so usually just misses out :(
    But I'm doing ok in GA as a f2p, mostly because for the last few months I've held back upgrading and using a lot of characters. I figure until I can get them fully leveled, skilled and geared to G10+ they are just a GA handicap that inflates my GP. Too many of my opponents have full G12 squads with many zetas, and I already have 20+ toons L85 G7-9 that are largely ineffective in GA.
    Still fascinates me a game mode penalises you for investing in characters!
    I had (incorrectly) assumed by now they'd put a minimum entry power per character, like TW.
    Be curious to understand why they haven't.
    If they don't, do hope they just double the number of squads, so we can try some new toons out!
    Not complaining, is a fun game with loads of content.

Out of curiosity how does it feel to hold back on what you have earned and not be able to use it.And now must a play the game the lean way where you are forced to hold off...when the devs and CG game mission is "Leveling up a character should always feel good". I guess you could add playing a game as it was designed should be enjoyable. Now they have you not doing both..not enjoying the game as designed..and not allowing yourself to level up.

I would be curious too as too why the haven't fixed the broken system by instead allowed lean players to continue to get stronger at the expenses of broad players who they can easily walk all over in GA. I would add why is it that I added new zatas and strengthen better toons, why my match making scale slide forward keeping me at a disadvantage and on the bottom still out matched by higher zatas but now in the mid to upper 50s instead of the mid to upper 40s. When I have yet to break anywhere near 40s yet. Waiting on an answer to that. You can't say well you got stonger so your matched higher...because your only always going to get stronger and to continue to slide the scale keeping your disadvantage is unfair matching system as I have yet to surpass my current matching where I have and currently still being disadvantaged.
  • @Dk_rek thanks for setting that 1 defense team. I was able to get the Han GA achievement knocked out.