Someone Has To Ask This... (Rant)

Replies

• NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    NicWester wrote: »
    This game has been remarkably consistent for the last three+ years, I'm surprised no one picks up on it without having to have it spelled out for them:

Darth Malak isn't released yet. Darth Malak's release date will be a couple months from now, when the event returns for the second time.

Characters are announced and then people who have the requisites are rewarded for either their foresight or their spending habits. You may think it only rewards spenders, but consider BB-8, which was released when First Order were all hard farms, Darth Revan, who had ample farming time, C-3P0 and Chewbacca, the requirements for whom have been in the game forever. People whined and kvetched that they had to gear up "useless teams" to get all these characters and complained that if they'd known they'd need these teams they'd have farmed them earlier.

That's the point. Most (not all, sure, but most) characters are available to players that don't pay from their initil release. This rewards people who don't just follow a farming guide and do their own thing instead. It incentivises people to farm obscure characters because either A) They're banking on that character being useful in the future, or B) They just like that character.

Those folks, and I'm sometimes one of them--BB-8 was the last one I got to 7* on the first try, got C-3P0 to 6 (and fell off on gearing and failed to 7* on the second try :( ) and Chewbacca to 5* though--should be rewarded. Since this game isn't UNICEF, people are free to buy their way to the top, too, so if they want to drop a paycheck then so be it--I'm not saying they should be rewarded, to be clear, just that they should be able to do that. After all, they're the ones that keep the game afloat.

But, ultimately, Malak will be released for real in a couple months. You know what you need to do to get him now, so stop complaining and start working on it.

Amazing. Everything you just said in the first two paragraphs is wrong.

Let me guess, you think a hot dog is a sandwich, yeah?
    Ceterum censeo Patientia esse meliat.
  • NicWester wrote: »
    NicWester wrote: »
    This game has been remarkably consistent for the last three+ years, I'm surprised no one picks up on it without having to have it spelled out for them:

Darth Malak isn't released yet. Darth Malak's release date will be a couple months from now, when the event returns for the second time.

Characters are announced and then people who have the requisites are rewarded for either their foresight or their spending habits. You may think it only rewards spenders, but consider BB-8, which was released when First Order were all hard farms, Darth Revan, who had ample farming time, C-3P0 and Chewbacca, the requirements for whom have been in the game forever. People whined and kvetched that they had to gear up "useless teams" to get all these characters and complained that if they'd known they'd need these teams they'd have farmed them earlier.

That's the point. Most (not all, sure, but most) characters are available to players that don't pay from their initil release. This rewards people who don't just follow a farming guide and do their own thing instead. It incentivises people to farm obscure characters because either A) They're banking on that character being useful in the future, or B) They just like that character.

Those folks, and I'm sometimes one of them--BB-8 was the last one I got to 7* on the first try, got C-3P0 to 6 (and fell off on gearing and failed to 7* on the second try :( ) and Chewbacca to 5* though--should be rewarded. Since this game isn't UNICEF, people are free to buy their way to the top, too, so if they want to drop a paycheck then so be it--I'm not saying they should be rewarded, to be clear, just that they should be able to do that. After all, they're the ones that keep the game afloat.

But, ultimately, Malak will be released for real in a couple months. You know what you need to do to get him now, so stop complaining and start working on it.

Amazing. Everything you just said in the first two paragraphs is wrong.

Let me guess, you think a hot dog is a sandwich, yeah?

Eh why not? 🤷🏼‍♂️😂
  • CorpseMaker77
    602 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    gflegui wrote: »
    Every event was suppose to have a 7 day notification prior to the launch.This was a nasty move.

They simply don't care anymore, it's gonna be their new rule. Drop the event to catch everyone unprepared so they can make more money. In 2019 this game isn't F2P friendly anymore like in the past.

It's EA we are talking about, if you can't catch the $hoo $hoo you will stay behind.

I wonder what the next paywall is gonna be. My guess is Clone Wars related.
    Post edited by Kyno on
  • Madpup
    279 posts Member
    The issue isn't that theirs a pay wall. There has always been a pay wall and there should always be a pay wall. However what made this game great was that if you were a player that watched for news and hints, created a plan, and did your best in arena/ships, you could do these events the first time around. CG encouraged this. You could be at the top if your worked at it while those who didn't could pay for the privilege to just be a bit better. This is no longer the case. Just look at how the last month has gone. They announce Revan, then the day before he releases after people have already spent money and resources to get ready for him, the release news you need special gear costing $20 or 2800 crystals per piece. Ok that is shady but you can get both pieces farm in a week if you do well during your payouts. Then Malak, who we get two days to prepare and 3 days to finish requires 10 characters at 17500 even though in one battle you only need 1 character anywhere near that and the other you could easily get away with have Jolee and Zallbar at gear 10. It's all ****. I again don't fault them to earning money, but the shady way they are going about it is stupid. I payed to be ready for DR, but I wouldn't have bothered if I'd known about the gear and this Malak event. Because of this I won't spend again. That's about $300 a year gone from their pockets and it's simply because I can't trust in what they are trying to sell me anymore.
  • 6Delara6 wrote: »
    I play this game for the challenge of competing against whales as a hard core f2p. After depleting almost all my store currency I got Malek and have nothing really left except 9k in crystals which doesn't go far. I think they nailed the right difficulty and resource management level. If anything it could have been a little harder because I expect as a f2p to miss out occasionally on new releases if I make the slightest error. To all you haters reassess your resource management skills because that's the root problem, not EA.

Gotta laugh about this and just call this guy out. First, I don't think you're a FTP. As a dolphin playing everyday in a great guild, I'm still struggling to gear up without spending a ton. Second, you're missing the big picture. Most of us wouldn't have followed whaling for DR with gearing the sith empire characters if they had announced this event like they were supposed to.
  • Meh. This year set the presedent for anything to happen. Hope everyone learned buying characters in not buying wins. I don't have DR and I get #1 every day. And I haven't lost a GA yet.
  • Jarvind
    3925 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    I don't mind paywalls existing, but this event had a very different feel than any previous one. The Revans required very fast farming of a specific set of characters, but we had about a million hints about both of them before they were released, and the events were tuned such that if you had those characters at a usable level you could pretty safely assume that you'd get Revan. The dark side version was tougher, but still doable with G10ish characters, which isn't that high of an ask for somebody as beastly as Darth Revan.

Malak feels like things have taken a turn. He was released with less than 2 days' notice, and the event doesn't even let you try if your characters aren't G12+ or zeta'd. I'm normally quick to point out that devs need to make money to keep a FTP game going, but this just felt, I dunno. Rude. It's the closest you can get to saying "F you, pay me" in the language of mobile game design.
    u58t4vkrvnrz.png

• FTP could have had everything in my opinion. In the 4 months I decided to get Cheqlwue, C3PO, and CLS , I got all 3 but C3PO (6* cause I got the worst Ewok team) without dropping a dime. I took two years off and am on 1 of the games oldest shards....
    A complete.FTP that has done everything daily for the past 3-4 years could easily be walking with Malak right now. I have a feeling the Devs know this and that is a bad for what they unleash. Could the best FTP account achieve this? Yes, do it. No? Don't.

• Didn't read any responses so maybe im beating a dead horse here, but the problem isn't P2W vs F2P, its releasing stupidly OP characters that will only ever be overshadowed by even more stupidly OP characters. I mean come on, they are "reworking" a character that was released YESTERDAY because an existing character can beat him? Characters that can use mini annihilate 3x a fight? 2+ turn stuns?
  • I am going to reserve my judgement and feelings until the new Tb drops and when they announce the return of this event. I am expecting the worst.

As of rn I feel like we ve been duped masterfully. I really give them credit because this was very well done. But I understand they have to try new ways to get toons. Mobile games are predatory I don’t expect ea to stop this. And this game is very ftp friendly.

If Malek is required in Tb or if the event returns and it is split will be very bad news.

I hope all the people who left, come back.
  • Didn't read any responses so maybe im beating a dead horse here, but the problem isn't P2W vs F2P, its releasing stupidly OP characters that will only ever be overshadowed by even more stupidly OP characters. I mean come on, they are "reworking" a character that was released YESTERDAY because an existing character can beat him? Characters that can use mini annihilate 3x a fight? 2+ turn stuns?

Hit the nail on the head here. They’re sending a really bad message by reworking Malak so quickly

In the past, they didn’t push stuff like this. When Palpatine was released, you knew he was gonna have a strong kit, but they didn’t buff him two days later because he could be beaten by wiggs teams. The game was in a much healthier state the imo
  • APX_919
    2468 posts Member
    I think his defensive AI must be faulty, that's the only reason I can think of.
    "Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...mostly"
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    If Malek is required in Tb or if the event returns and it is split will be very bad news.

New characters won't be in Platoons any more.

I guess it's possible he could be in the Geonosis Territory Battle, we haven't seen what those platoons will be and he strictly-speaking won't be a "new" character any more. But I don't think it's likely.
  • CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    I think mobile gamer said it best, if they can think of a creative way to get us to spend, I give them props and have no issues with it.

Imo this is not creative, just a blatant cash grab. There's probably a lot going on behind the scenes that we aren't aware of, but we still have to let CG know we are not ok with this. These types of moves lead to people quitting the game.

My opinion is the game will survive this one... but pushing a few of this type of event will alienate dolphins and high achieving f2p, and, eventually they'll drop off and this game will go down hill from there. The game needs f2p, dolphins and whales to maintain its success.

CG please maintain this successful balance.
  • jjkriv wrote: »
    Former dolphin here,I'm going f2p until the game drys up.This Malak **** took the greed to a whole new level..My number 1 reason tho is the mirror match teams in both arenas are way too RNG based speed doesnt matter facing revan teams,its astonishing watching a slow weaker yoda blast out a toon while your more powerful yoda plays with himself.
    The ship arena RNG is even worse,stars and speed mean NOTHING.I whaled up the Falcon only to see it still loose to 5 star falcons and 5,6 star bossks.
    -drop rated down to 5,now I just don't refresh,save your crystals.Why refresh and risk getting 0 shards?
    -Grievous rework was a money grab lie.Ya,new CW content coming but I'm not holding my breath he gets any better while bastilla got a new ability already.
    -Finn lead nerfed,better overall toon but now only 1 good resistance lead team,at least give Poe a better lead.I want my re-zeta back lol.
    Final thoughts-I'll log in,do my daily's,help the guild but my spending days are over,god bless the whales.

Wow, like its the worst when just having better speed mods isnt the deciding factor. because we all know speed is king. You'll just have to play and be better at that than others to win
    by that logic you were always risking 0 drops.
    Grevious wasnt a huge let down, like everyone on here likes to claim. But he wasnt the best in arena with under starred teams without gear.
    Were you really running two resistance teams?

2 Resistance teams is easy to field. 1 on Offense and one Def for both GA and TW. Rose I ram my buddy from outta no where Tico stuns and Poe and Purple Hair my mom is super famous and I was in Jurassic Park Holdo are superb tanks under Finn. Resistance Pilot is actually good under these conditions since two taunts protect her.

Who is her? Resistance pilot isn't a her
  • leef
    13458 posts Member
    Adamklark wrote: »
    I only tolerate microtransactions if it doesn't give competitive advantage, like cosmetics or just a bit quicker progress but not this huge gap.

if that's the case you're clearly playing the wrong game.
    Save water, drink champagne!
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    jjkriv wrote: »
    Former dolphin here,I'm going f2p until the game drys up.This Malak **** took the greed to a whole new level..My number 1 reason tho is the mirror match teams in both arenas are way too RNG based speed doesnt matter facing revan teams,its astonishing watching a slow weaker yoda blast out a toon while your more powerful yoda plays with himself.
    The ship arena RNG is even worse,stars and speed mean NOTHING.I whaled up the Falcon only to see it still loose to 5 star falcons and 5,6 star bossks.
    -drop rated down to 5,now I just don't refresh,save your crystals.Why refresh and risk getting 0 shards?
    -Grievous rework was a money grab lie.Ya,new CW content coming but I'm not holding my breath he gets any better while bastilla got a new ability already.
    -Finn lead nerfed,better overall toon but now only 1 good resistance lead team,at least give Poe a better lead.I want my re-zeta back lol.
    Final thoughts-I'll log in,do my daily's,help the guild but my spending days are over,god bless the whales.

Wow, like its the worst when just having better speed mods isnt the deciding factor. because we all know speed is king. You'll just have to play and be better at that than others to win
    by that logic you were always risking 0 drops.
    Grevious wasnt a huge let down, like everyone on here likes to claim. But he wasnt the best in arena with under starred teams without gear.
    Were you really running two resistance teams?

2 Resistance teams is easy to field. 1 on Offense and one Def for both GA and TW. Rose I ram my buddy from outta no where Tico stuns and Poe and Purple Hair my mom is super famous and I was in Jurassic Park Holdo are superb tanks under Finn. Resistance Pilot is actually good under these conditions since two taunts protect her.

Who is her? Resistance pilot isn't a her

Yes she is. It's been confirmed for a long time now.
  • SemiGod wrote: »

Would you rather have a "free" game that releases new content that you can spend money on to unlock "faster" or a dead game that recieves little to no updates at all.

In regard to your central question, I would rather have a complete game that I pay for once at the beginning and never again. All games used to work this way, but then companies discovered they could make more money using the “freemium” model of free to play, pay to gain advantage (or in the more extreme versions, free to play, pay to win). I don’t need or care about “updates.”

We all know that nothing is truly free.
  • vincentlondon
    4527 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    I prefer to be a FTP than a whale.
    I will have Malak in 6 months
  • NicWester
    8928 posts Member
    Kai_Mulai wrote: »
    In regard to your central question, I would rather have a complete game that I pay for once at the beginning and never again. All games used to work this way, but then companies discovered they could make more money using the “freemium” model of free to play, pay to gain advantage (or in the more extreme versions, free to play, pay to win). I don’t need or care about “updates.”

Well. Yeah. Games were like that because they had to be like that. It’s hard to update a game on a Nintendo cartridge. When my Compaq Presario was top of the line it had two gigs of memory and could render Doom II’s graphics like nobody’s business. But you’d have to delete it once you finished because having Doom II and Quake? On the same hard drive? Okay, John Romero, we get it, you’re made of money...

Back then you paid $50 and played the game a couple times and put it away for a long time. Now you pay $60 (which, considering inflation, is a lot less than $50!) and play the game about as much, but you can pay a couple bucks for an expansion or dlc or something else to refresh that game.

Things are better now. Nostalgia is bad.
  • Globuhl
    751 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    I prefer to be a FTP than a whale.
    I will have Malak in 6 months
    Are 6 months enough to farm the DR required toons the F2P way? I’ve been farming them for a month now starting from 3* and, now that we are back to 5 attempts per refresh, I feel not super confident about that... and Malak. Well I don’t think he’s on my radar...
  • five2zero
    512 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    The disadvantage is for dolphins, thats the biggest problem.
    Now this is a whale only game (and a few, very few, other).
  • NicWester wrote: »
    Kai_Mulai wrote: »

Well. Yeah. Games were like that because they had to be like that. It’s hard to update a game on a Nintendo cartridge. When my Compaq Presario was top of the line it had two gigs of memory and could render Doom II’s graphics like nobody’s business. But you’d have to delete it once you finished because having Doom II and Quake? On the same hard drive? Okay, John Romero, we get it, you’re made of money...

Back then you paid $50 and played the game a couple times and put it away for a long time. Now you pay $60 (which, considering inflation, is a lot less than $50!) and play the game about as much, but you can pay a couple bucks for an expansion or dlc or something else to refresh that game.

Things are better now. Nostalgia is bad.

I’m fine with downloadable content. Heck, I remember Skyrim mods adding a ton of great additional content a few years ago. But that’s not what we’re talking about with SWGOH. This game, and those like it, allows for and encourages far more spending than $60 at a time in order to get the best characters when they release. And by the time the event comes around again, the developers (at least of late) release a new pay-only character. The worst of these characters was Jedi Knight Revan, because ideal Revan teams don’t have a solid counter (except Darth Revan), which was established and maintained by the developers. Now they’re doing the same to Malak, and that’s what bothers me. Not enough to stop playing, but enough where it’s annoying. And my annoyance is because the developers said they wanted a rock-paper-scissors meta in which one team was not all-powerful, but their actions show different.
  • Raynia
    28 posts Member
    First off this is a Star Wars game. It's a beloved franchise with a large fan base. This should be the easiest game to make money. There doesn't need to be a whale-only character for the game to profit. Developers shouldn't screw over the FTP to benefit the whales. All the recent changes have been for both the benefit of the whales and the detriment of the FTP. With the reduction of the hard node attempts people will probably start leaving in a month or two when they get tired of 0/5 drops and not advancing as fast as they used to.
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    Gear and mods gives p2w advantage . There should always be at least a soft counter to any new shiny toy. Ep is a very soft counter . Why didn’t Jkr get a buff when jtr and Trayas was being used against him . It’s obscene to buff Malak and you know it .
  • Stick
    647 posts Member
    Raynia wrote: »
    First off this is a Star Wars game. It's a beloved franchise with a large fan base. This should be the easiest game to make money. There doesn't need to be a whale-only character for the game to profit. Developers shouldn't screw over the FTP to benefit the whales. All the recent changes have been for both the benefit of the whales and the detriment of the FTP
    I’d bet you have little to no actual understanding of what it costs to make, support and upkeep a video game. Most of us don’t , there’s always going to be costs that you don’t know until you’re actually in the position.
  • Jabba
    1033 posts Member
    TW and GA used to be all about Stratagy now it’s all about who can gear 10 characters in 3 days to get the new shiny toy. They got away with it this time so I bet next time it will be a lot less notice .