The Droid "Buff" in TW is the worst one yet.

Prev1
You may as well have just made JTR unusable again.

Replies

• SemiGod
    3001 posts Member
    Lmao I did one AoE and the entire droid team was wiped out.
  • Mzee
    1777 posts Member
    Not a fan of these buffs as they keep overdoing them and some people in my guild don't even sign up during them. The clones and geonosian ones (not ships) was the worst though in my opinion.

It is nice to mix things up as it helps keep things fresh but they get a little too crazy with some of the buffs...
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    3 trash 5 droid teams at g8 4* (or whatever the minimum to get to 6k power is) will wipe out a maxed Revan team. How can you not like it?
  • Hortus
    615 posts Member
    VonZant wrote: »
    3 trash 5 droid teams at g8 4* (or whatever the minimum to get to 6k power is) will wipe out a maxed Revan team. How can you not like it?

No, it doesn't work this way. They made error in the buff description - dead droid do damage only if his death was by triggering Unstable batteries. Droid dropped by regular damage dies as usual. We already learned it in hard way, may be it will even cost us victory.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Hortus wrote: »

No, it doesn't work this way. They made error in the buff description - dead droid do damage only if his death was by triggering Unstable batteries. Droid dropped by regular damage dies as usual. We already learned it in hard way, may be it will even cost us victory.

No. I sent in 2 trash droid teams and Revan die and saviour triggered and the rest of th team had 1 tiny block of health and prot left. 3rd team kills them all.

In my two attacks my droids didnt even get to move.

We did have one guy where it didn't work, but all 5 of his guys were killed in one sabre throw. Everyone else it worked.
  • Gamorrean
    2745 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    TW was once the best to now the worst game mode in this game.

Thanks again devs. Its looking good.

...Is that the light of a death star attack I see?
  • VonZant wrote: »

No. I sent in 2 trash droid teams and Revan die and saviour triggered and the rest of th team had 1 tiny block of health and prot left. 3rd team kills them all.

We did have one guy where it didn't work, but all 5 of his guys were killed in one sabre throw. Everyone else it worked.

Bro are you drunk ?
  • For me, I used a GG team with zB1, B2 on offense. All 100 stack of b1 is consumed by enemy while no massive damage or something gonna happen.
    To be honest, the droid bonuses is a bit nice if IT CAN BE TRIGGERED CORRECTLY EVERY TIME.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Treeburner wrote: »

Bro are you drunk ?

@Treeburner No, I am 100% serious.

Squad 1 was t3 Magna IPD Ig88 IG86. Ig88 was g9 rest were g7. My team did not get to move. All destroyed in 15 seconds. Result= Entire Revan team at half health.

Squad 2 was chopper k2 GG HK and g7 Jawa Engineer with no mods. Entire team did not get to move. Result = Entire Revan team at 1 sliver of health and protection. If I had a 5th droid Revan team would have been dead.

A guildmate send in a 3rd droid team of similar quality = entire Revan team dead.

You are welcome. ;)
  • My guild who is a high end (top 10) tw guild tailored our strategy to the droid buff. Placing nearly all droids on D w the idea that they would all blow up. Even low gear droids all the same. Shortly after attack phase opened we realized we were bamboozled by cgs error. We lost by less than 60 banners. I am 100% confident that we win by large margin if the droid buff worked as advertised. Our opponent placed very few droids on d so it did not effect them the same bc the truth came out in attack phase. I think more attention to detail is needed if you are going to add buffed toons for tw, which is somewhat silly in the first place but not my gripe. Compensation is in order.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Redapple wrote: »
    My guild who is a high end (top 10) tw guild tailored our strategy to the droid buff. Placing nearly all droids on D w the idea that they would all blow up. Even low gear droids all the same. Shortly after attack phase opened we realized we were bamboozled by cgs error. We lost by less than 60 banners. I am 100% confident that we win by large margin if the droid buff worked as advertised. Our opponent placed very few droids on d so it did not effect them the same bc the truth came out in attack phase. I think more attention to detail is needed if you are going to add buffed toons for tw, which is somewhat silly in the first place but not my gripe. Compensation is in order.

Why would you put them on D? Much better on O.
  • Redapple wrote: »
    My guild who is a high end (top 10) tw guild tailored our strategy to the droid buff. Placing nearly all droids on D w the idea that they would all blow up. Even low gear droids all the same. Shortly after attack phase opened we realized we were bamboozled by cgs error. We lost by less than 60 banners. I am 100% confident that we win by large margin if the droid buff worked as advertised. Our opponent placed very few droids on d so it did not effect them the same bc the truth came out in attack phase. I think more attention to detail is needed if you are going to add buffed toons for tw, which is somewhat silly in the first place but not my gripe. Compensation is in order.

Your guild lost because your strategy was awful, not because of the bugs. It kinda blows my mind that you thought they’d be effective as a defensive team after you read the bonuses
  • Redapple wrote: »

Your guild lost because your strategy was awful, not because of the bugs. It kinda blows my mind that you thought they’d be effective as a defensive team after you read the bonuses
    I second this opinion. Your entire defensive setup relied on having nothing but suicide bombers. They may be effective the first fight, but then there aren’t any left for the second fight.
  • Hortus
    615 posts Member

No what? This is devs post on how it works and how in-game description is incorrect. If you want to argue - argue with them, not me.

You and some another people were lucky and it worked as you expected? Nice for you, but a couple of other people (including me and some other in my guild) read in-game description, built squads around that and failed their battles because buff works differently.
  • @Droideka

During the first fight, if you have a core of great toons (usually 3) + a couple droids, you can take down the first team that comes at you, then lose almost automatically on the 2nd fight.

This may sound bad, except in the first 2 ranks of fighting when the other side still has their choice of all the great teams they saved for offense, the vast majority of squads are defeated on the first attempt and very few defensive squads take down more than 2 attacking squads. So your very bestest, bestest defensive squads still get taken out in one go. What makes them worth it is that they force the other side to use the best offense they've got.

HOWEVER, if you have a strong core (like I said, about 3) + 2 droids who have such low health they're going to die in the first or AoE, then if both droids do 80% max health AoE damage, you've got 3 great toons against 5 great toons who just took 160% max health damage. Your side should win. Then the other side is forced to use yet another offensive squad to take them down. Sure they'll lose, but they take down 2 attackers instead of 1. And since they now have TM saved, even though it's only 3 toons, the other side can't throw junk at the to finish them off. Maybe the attackers don't need an A-Team, but using an A(defensive) Team to take out 1 A (offensive) Team AND a B-Team is a net win.

On top of that, the attacker wins fewer points because it required 2 squads to take out your defense. Yay!

If the droids had worked as we were told they would work, this trade would be more than worth it on defense.

Droids on defense, if used intelligently, absolutely improve TW defense if they possess the ability we were told they would possess.

However, the ability as actually programmed is terrible - a huge nerf. 3P0 is worth way more than simply 1 massive AoE, but with the 15% chance 3P0 may disappear when you need him. Yes, the land-mine effect is nice, but not nice enough to replace 3P0. ...

...so, okay, you can't trust you're going to get your value out of 3p0, so what else can you do? Can you put in a low-power droid with no mods? Nope, because if it's easy to one-shot then it will never deal its AoE damage and you lose that slot that could have been used for a more productive, valuable character.

You can't count on the good ones to do good things. You can't count on the lousy ones to blow up when they die. So all droids are reduced to being entirely unreliable. You can't depend on them for EITHER strategy. They become, in a word, useless.

So, unlike what your intuition says, careful thought about what to place where with the ability as written would lead smart folks to place some droids on defense. And they would have done a good job there. But now they're terrible, and this ability will always be terrible, and any TW that uses this droid ability in the future will do nothing but create frustration.

So going forward, sure, you want to place exactly zero droids on defense. But that was hardly the case when we thought the ability would work as written.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member

No what? This is devs post on how it works and how in-game description is incorrect. If you want to argue - argue with them, not me.

You and some another people were lucky and it worked as you expected? Nice for you, but a couple of other people (including me and some other in my guild) read in-game description, built squads around that and failed their battles because buff works differently.

The only difference between the original announcement and what actually happened was that the explosion only triggered if the droid was destroyed by the first ability.
    I assumed that's how it would work, but even if you didn't, you'd have to realize that droids on d wouldn't be the best idea with a 15% chance to instantly die when hit.
  • @Droideka

During the first fight, if you have a core of great toons (usually 3) + a couple droids, you can take down the first team that comes at you, then lose almost automatically on the 2nd fight.

This may sound bad, except in the first 2 ranks of fighting when the other side still has their choice of all the great teams they saved for offense, the vast majority of squads are defeated on the first attempt and very few defensive squads take down more than 2 attacking squads. So your very bestest, bestest defensive squads still get taken out in one go. What makes them worth it is that they force the other side to use the best offense they've got.

HOWEVER, if you have a strong core (like I said, about 3) + 2 droids who have such low health they're going to die in the first or AoE, then if both droids do 80% max health AoE damage, you've got 3 great toons against 5 great toons who just took 160% max health damage. Your side should win. Then the other side is forced to use yet another offensive squad to take them down. Sure they'll lose, but they take down 2 attackers instead of 1. And since they now have TM saved, even though it's only 3 toons, the other side can't throw junk at the to finish them off. Maybe the attackers don't need an A-Team, but using an A(defensive) Team to take out 1 A (offensive) Team AND a B-Team is a net win.

On top of that, the attacker wins fewer points because it required 2 squads to take out your defense. Yay!

If the droids had worked as we were told they would work, this trade would be more than worth it on defense.

Droids on defense, if used intelligently, absolutely improve TW defense if they possess the ability we were told they would possess.

However, the ability as actually programmed is terrible - a huge nerf. 3P0 is worth way more than simply 1 massive AoE, but with the 15% chance 3P0 may disappear when you need him. Yes, the land-mine effect is nice, but not nice enough to replace 3P0. ...

...so, okay, you can't trust you're going to get your value out of 3p0, so what else can you do? Can you put in a low-power droid with no mods? Nope, because if it's easy to one-shot then it will never deal its AoE damage and you lose that slot that could have been used for a more productive, valuable character.

You can't count on the good ones to do good things. You can't count on the lousy ones to blow up when they die. So all droids are reduced to being entirely unreliable. You can't depend on them for EITHER strategy. They become, in a word, useless.

So, unlike what your intuition says, careful thought about what to place where with the ability as written would lead smart folks to place some droids on defense. And they would have done a good job there. But now they're terrible, and this ability will always be terrible, and any TW that uses this droid ability in the future will do nothing but create frustration.

So going forward, sure, you want to place exactly zero droids on defense. But that was hardly the case when we thought the ability would work as written.

...Or your opponent ignores your trash droids, kills the 3 v 5, and takes out the droids last, taking damage only once from the explosion (since the last one explodes after your entire team is dead). Seems pretty easy to counter.
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    @Droideka

...Or your opponent ignores your trash droids, kills the 3 v 5, and takes out the droids last, taking damage only once from the explosion (since the last one explodes after your entire team is dead). Seems pretty easy to counter.

You forget that as originally advertised, Droids had a chance to explode whenever they attacked. That's the whole point.
    So ignore the Droids and they still might explode.
  • @Droideka

Lots of characters have significantly more protection than health. If I went after your setup with a bastila lead, I could probably have the fight over in 30 seconds without even getting through my characters protection, despite the 160% max health damage from the suicide droids.

Then, you have characters like CLS who could probably solo your comp on his own due to his ability to counterattack and generate health and protection for himself
  • Stenun wrote: »
    @Droideka

You forget that as originally advertised, Droids had a chance to explode whenever they attacked. That's the whole point.

I don’t know what they put on the forums, but it’s not advertised like that in the game. Unless grievous is on the team or they get hit with a counterattack, the droids have no chance to randomly explode when they attack

Running a “three good characters/two trash droids” could be an intelligent offensive strategy, but you’re essentially setting yourself up for a 3v5 if you run it on defense
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    @Droideka

Lots of characters have significantly more protection than health. If I went after your setup with a bastila lead, I could probably have the fight over in 30 seconds without even getting through my characters protection, despite the 160% max health damage from the suicide droids.

Then, you have characters like CLS who could probably solo your comp on his own due to his ability to counterattack and generate health and protection for himself

Your logic, if I can use that term, is that there's no point putting this squad in defence because certain other squads will beat it easily.
    But most squads can be beaten by certain other squads easily. People on this forum keep saying "rock paper scissors" as an analogy for this game.
    But you are saying a team in defence that can easily be beaten by a certain other team is therefore a bad defence? If we follow your logic all the way through, you're saying don't put any defences down because everything can easily be beaten by something else.

Which is clearly nonsense.
    Just because this Droid tactic could easily be beaten by a certain something else does not mean it wasn't a good tactic. It just means you want to argue.
  • Gannon
    1619 posts Member
    Stenun wrote: »
    @Droideka

Not true at all.
    9k4ch66ksbg5.jpeg
    dnb19mdw4mif.jpeg
  • Stenun
    851 posts Member
    Gannon wrote: »
    Not true at all.

My bad.
    With all the different versions of what they originally said it did against what they then said it did and what it actually did in game and then what they claimed it was intended to do ... I got confused. :-)
  • I had a 4 droid team I put in against a Hans team. 3 of the 4 did that explosion and caused damage. THREE of them and it took the Han team down to almost nothing, but it took all three freakin' droids to get the Hans down to Red HP.

I also had a C3PO explode when I was up against a Bossk team. Boba did his mass attack and C3PO blew up from it. It did ZERO damage to all 5 Bounty Hunters. Nothing. No health loss, no protection loss. They acted like they got damaged, but nothing happened.

AND if you look at the description in game for the Geo buff, it just says "Geonosians." On the forums it says, "Geonosian Ships". One of those little QC things they might've done before they rolled this in. My guild built a strategy with Geo buffs in mind. We pulled through, but that's a big deal.

The more complex you make these "buffs", the more confusing they are for players AND the more screwed up and disfunctional they can be. Please realize this. Less is more.
  • Jaden
    162 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Stenun wrote: »
    Gannon wrote: »
    Not true at all.

My bad.
    With all the different versions of what they originally said it did against what they then said it did and what it actually did in game and then what they claimed it was intended to do ... I got confused. :-)

Yes cuz 2 is a lot to keep track of lol.
    And in either version, no where does it say they explode or have a chance to explode when attacking. Even the post you linked doesn’t say that. Unless you can point me to a link somewhere that does? Plus you don’t need to exaggerate the situation it just makes you look desperate and that your making things up. Stick to the facts. There was a single post on here related to the in game description and that’s it. Lastly, I’m still having a hard time understanding why your strategy was sound even if your assumption of the droid abilities was correct. If I am understanding correctly and what I based this post on is you assumed that the droids had a chance to blow up not only when they were attacked but also when they attacked. So correct me if I’m wrong but how’s is this defensive genius? They blow up and done. Enemy could literally send in low geared squads and just let the droids attack and blow up. They could even send in one at time to maximize the effect. I’m just confused by what you were thinking exactly?
  • Vohbo
    332 posts Member
    I greatly dislike TW with these stupid buffs. Not fun at all
  • All tw bonuses are dumb so.