Prev1
rise of skywalker. enough said

Replies

• Ghost luke vs ghost Emperor Palpatine
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member
    B0baf3tt wrote: »
    Ghost luke vs ghost Emperor Palpatine

On ghost Death Star with ghost Vader and ghost Kenobi watching?
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • soo many ghost spin-offs to come
  • *sigh*
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member
    The cancellation of all of the Marvel series on Netflix due to Disney's new streaming service pretty much did it for me. At this point, things like ep9 are just salt in a wound I can't really feel anymore. Pretty unfortunate.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • chron
    89 posts Member
    So we're just not gonna wait for A L I E N S to infiltrate the X-Men before starting the hatewagon? Because the Brood.
  • Radonis
    504 posts Member
    kalidor wrote: »
    The cancellation of all of the Marvel series on Netflix due to Disney's new streaming service pretty much did it for me. At this point, things like ep9 are just salt in a wound I can't really feel anymore. Pretty unfortunate.

I mean can you blame them they are starting their own Streaming service and why would you have a IP you own want to compete against yourself also the Disney Plus is only 6.99 a month way cheaper than Netflix and it will still grow. I stopped Netflix when they raised their prices a long time ago.

• kalidor wrote: »

This x1000
    Disney IS the empire...
  • Kisakee
    1648 posts Member

This x1000
    Disney IS the empire...

di7k11gzqzmb.jpeg
    You don't say..
    "Never make the mistake of believing forbearance equates to acceptance, or that all positions are equally valid."
    - Grand Admiral Thrawn
  • Gifafi
    6017 posts Member
    what's the problem, op?
    Maybe End Game isn't for you
  • I think it looks great. *shrug*

You do realize with their own streaming service they will have oodles and oodles of new marvel shows? They have already announced a Hawkeye and Loki one.
  • kalidor
    2121 posts Member

You do realize with their own streaming service they will have oodles and oodles of new marvel shows? They have already announced a Hawkeye and Loki one.

Yep, I realize. But the Marvel shows I currently like on Netflix, with all their characters and plotlines, are dead. And since the new ones will be on yet-another subscription-based streaming service, I don't know if I'll be getting into them - especially since I can't see them being as mature-themed as the netflix ones. I'm really not interested in the casual tone of other superhero shows like Agents of Shield (Marvel), or Supergirl and Arrow (DC), but given it's Disney, my hopes aren't very high for the new ones to target a mature audience.
    xSWCr - Nov '15 shard - swgoh.gg kalidor-m
  • I'm not happy that DareDevil ended mid storyline

Yep, I realize. But the Marvel shows I currently like on Netflix, with all their characters and plotlines, are dead. And since the new ones will be on yet-another subscription-based streaming service, I don't know if I'll be getting into them - especially since I can't see them being as mature-themed as the netflix ones. I'm really not interested in the casual tone of other superhero shows like Agents of Shield (Marvel), or Supergirl and Arrow (DC), but given it's Disney, my hopes aren't very high for the new ones to target a mature audience.

My sentiments exactly. I don't foresee Disney producing anything nearly as dark as Jessica Jones, and even though season 2 was pretty boring, season 1 was probably my favorite superhero show ever. Daredevil as also darker than I think Disney will go for. Netflix makes really great content in general, and I like the way they've handled most of the Marvel storylines that they've done. I also don't want to have to pay for another streaming service.
  • rise of skywalker. enough said

I like the new title, it makes me think on the Mortis trio, Anakin taking the father, Luke the light and Kylo the dark replacing the original avatars, and rising the Skywalker lineage to a new level.
  • FREEDOMfrom
    474 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    Yeah I can see that with the more adult marvel series. It'll be interesting if Disney does stuff like that on their service but it does seem doubtful.

I heard somewhere that since Disney owns Hulu they were going to put the more adult stuff on Hulu and all their happy disney stuff on Disney+ but we will see.

Regardless I will get the Disney+ service for the Star Wars content. All the star wars movies and shows in one place I believe.

My sentiments exactly. I don't foresee Disney producing anything nearly as dark as Jessica Jones, and even though season 2 was pretty boring, season 1 was probably my favorite superhero show ever. Daredevil as also darker than I think Disney will go for. Netflix makes really great content in general, and I like the way they've handled most of the Marvel storylines that they've done. I also don't want to have to pay for another streaming service.

Yeah that move is pure stupid greed. It's just like when the NFL network came out and they decided only that channel would have Thursday night football and tried to force cable companies to make it part of the basic cable package.

It simply ended up alienating people and lowering their viewership. Both are very bad for media companies
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    I am not happy about paying for another streaming service.

Disney greed, at its finest.
  • I have a daughter who loves disney movies. I'm happy to pay for a disney service. All the disney movies. All the marvel, all the star wars. Its a brilliant idea.
  • yes another monthly bill to Disney because that's what we all need
  • Boo wrote: »

Disney greed for wanting $6.99/month from you in order to produce a ton of new content? Do people say the same thing about paying over twice as much for HBO when they want to watch Game of Thrones? I guess I don’t see it. I’m so excited about this.
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    Can we at least wait for the movie to come out before it's the worst thing ever?
    Still not a he.
  • YaeVizsla wrote: »
    Can we at least wait for the movie to come out before it's the worst thing ever?

no.
  • VonZant
    3843 posts Member
    Have you seen The Mandalorean teaser from the weekend? There is hope.
  • Chucko_marek
    3817 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    YaeVizsla wrote: »

no.

That is how little faith we have left in Disney.
  • Boo
    4134 posts Member
    Boo wrote: »

Disney greed for wanting $6.99/month from you in order to produce a ton of new content? Do people say the same thing about paying over twice as much for HBO when they want to watch Game of Thrones? I guess I don’t see it. I’m so excited about this.

People can sign up for HBO for a couple of months to view Game of Thrones and then cancel their subscription. Or many people just stream or download episodes.

Those of us with kids - we don't really have a choice when it comes to subscribing to a Disney streaming service. Safe & secure, trustworthy and fun content for the kids. Not to mention everyone at their schools will have subscribed and you wont hear the end of it until you do as well, that's how it goes.

Also $6.99 per month - that is how it starts. Before long it will be $12.99+, just like Netflix.
  • Netflix used to be what $7? not anymore. Star Wars used to be awesome because of its EU. not anymore. Star Wars was never about just Skywalker. not anymore. before the ink was dry Disney killed the EU so their "princesses make money" bussiness model could take over and made up a new princess Rey Skywalker who beats all the males without any training whatsoever because why not she's a Disney princess. oh yeah and for good measure to make sure she has no challengers let's cut in half the most powerful dark side user alive without even a fight and then the most powerful jedi of all time kills himself by just using the force all while another princess survives in vacuum inexplicably. I shudder to think what comes next. all you sheep who continue to pay the mouse for such disrespect to a generations old icon are beyond saving.
  • VonZant wrote: »
    Have you seen The Mandalorean teaser from the weekend? There is hope.

the mandalorian looks way better than rise. both the Star Wars stories are awesome too and they fit within the old EU. Disney would have made more money not tossing it
  • YaeVizsla
    3448 posts Member
    edited April 2019
    the mandalorian looks way better than rise. both the Star Wars stories are awesome too and they fit within the old EU. Disney would have made more money not tossing it
    No. No, they wouldn't have.

The EU was an unusable mess. Once upon a time, maybe the Thrawn trilogy could have been the next trilogy. That time is decades past.

People complain that the intervening years are not adequately explained when what happened can be boiled down to, "The imperial remnants fled past the edges of unknown space, regrouped and rebuilt, then came back to be a threat again. The Rebellion built the New Republic that was kinda their jam, and it was not adequately militarized to stand against the First Order."

Had they kept the EU, they would have had to explain the much more complex political situation between the New Republic and what was once the Empire. You've gotta explain what's going on with the Yuuzhan Vong enough to give context to what's happening to them in the wake of the events of the New Jedi Order series. We're in Super Saiyan Luku territory, where Luke bested a literal god and voiped a black hole with the Force; many story arcs revolved around keeping Luke away from the actual action until the end, lest he instantly fix everything. Chewie had a moon dropped on him. And so many characters have so much baggage.

The most obvious central character were Disney to carry on the EU would be Jaina Solo Fel. Who requires the explanation that she is Jaina Solo Fel. Daughter of Han and Leia who became a Jedi is easy enough. The part where she is married to the friggin' Emperor? Not so much. And it dovetails you into the fact that the imperial remnants have consolidated as the Fel Empire, ruled by Jagged Fel, and all his baggage.

Then you have prominent supporting characters with tons of baggage. Tenel Ka Djo is one of the most important Jedi post-NJO, and having her ties you into explaining the Hapes cluster and the Nightsister to audiences in a way that will satisfy both hardcore and casual fans.

And as has been hanging over a lot of this, continuing the EU would have had to deal with the aftermath of the New Jedi Order series, which was at best a highly divisive series, and was where many long-time Star Wars fans quit the EU.

Removing the EU from canon was the best decision they could make. Carrying it on would be unreasonable.

Edit:
    Also, no. No, neither Star Wars story fits in the EU.

The Death Star plans were a complex multi-prong intelligence operation in the EU with multiple battles to gain bits and pieces of the Death Star plans, triggered by Bail Organa, Mon Mothma, and Garm Bel Iblis being captured by the Empire and taken to the Death Star for execution, then rescued by Galen Marek a.k.a. Starkiller. Not a singular operation to retrieve the plans from Scariff. So Rogue One is out.

And Solo: A Star Wars Story completely contradicts Han Solo's backstory. But for starters? In the EU, Han was an imperial pilot, graduating at the top of his class. Not a washout from flight school sent to infantry. Those stripes on his pants were Corellian Bloodstripes, an honor for serving with distinction. That's the problem with keeping the EU; everything's so closely defined and hodgepodge that there's no room to put anything.
    Post edited by YaeVizsla on
    Still not a he.