Upcoming Change to Darth Malak [MERGE]

Replies

• @CG_SBCrumb

Given that this change neuters two Sith Empire characters in mirrors (SAS and Maurader), I don’t believe it is a good solution to the EP cheese. I don’t see anyone using SAS after this change, so once again we will trend toward a heterogeneous meta squad (which bores people quickly).

Quite honestly, I don’t believe the problem was EP lead anyway. The only reason those teams could win was a combination of DNs unique (which allowed him to gain TM on hits to Sion and Traya), traya’s unique (allowed her to get ridiculous protection stacked with the empire debuffs), and the fact that ai would sit there and target traya while dn got free reign.

A better solution would have been a targeted nerfing of triumvirate tm gains (dn) while improving the ai to not sit there and hit a traya with 80000000 protection.
  • The elephant in the room: Darth Revan/Malak are shutting down past powerful characters by simply erasing the all the old best kits... making it useless:

Example: Thrawn’s fracture... useless
    Example: Palpatine TM gain Leadership... useless
    Example: Isolate... useless.
    Example: we’ll make CBM uncleansanle so thT cleanse is useless.

We need to get away from this. Nobody in the community thinks making making clutch abilities useless against the new meta is great for the game. At this rate I can already guess the new meta kit that counters DR 6 months from now and makes all their clutch abilities useless. (and everyone else’s) Use more creative programming.
  • Crynus wrote: »
    Orleans wrote: »
    Finally mods matter a bit more. Thanks for that! Drevan with Malak getting hit by G9 Palp shouldn't happen at all.

Poor whale, don't like having a counter to your shiny new toy , lmao

because god forbid the players who pay money and support the game be given some kind of advantage. smh at entitled ftp.

Actually get your facts straight, i was a p2p till they started nerfing stuff i paid for. Loss of revenue is cgs fault not mine. And whose entitled here mister im a wallet warrior and my money should mean more than skilled theory craft counters. Ok dude ,get gud, stop whining that your money doesnt give you enough of an advantage.
  • This post reads really strange... Like half is complaining that it is a nerf while half is complaining that it's a buff...

Welcome to the forums I guess... 🤔
  • This post reads really strange... Like half is complaining that it is a nerf while half is complaining that it's a buff...

Welcome to the forums I guess... 🤔

This is because the initial post didnt have the fully upgraded description.
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member
    Because they intended for a meta toon not one that can be beat by an old meta lead. Why they didn't discover it sooner is a good question though
  • Javin37
    367 posts Member
    I imagine those that gave a lot of money for malak would disagree.

Rumor was JKR had to be tweaked prior to release because there was an easy counter.

Cheer up...he doesn't have synergy with gmy.
  • CosmicJ
    348 posts Member
    Finally mods matter a bit more. Thanks for that! Drevan with Malak getting hit by G9 Palp shouldn't happen at all.

Oh no worries man, I got Drevan and Malak F2P because I farmed Mission and Zaal right after Revan hit. Why? They are awesome for TW and GA. Started farming OR right away as well. It was obvious what was going to happen.

Disagree with this. I've been prepared for almost every event, no chance with this one. You saw value in those characters and had them maxed out, congrats.

But id argue that the overkill requirement and lack of time to prepare for this event wasnt obvious at all.
  • Ultra
    11453 posts Moderator
    Rudra wrote: »
    Let me start by saying that I unlocked Malak. So this is not an argument about f2p vs p2p. I am looking at consequences of these changes to the entire Sith Faction.

The inherent problem with this unique is that Malak shuts down a lot of Sith characters just by himself. Zaul lead, good bye. Sith Assassin, good bye. Darth Nihilus in Triumvirate, good bye. Palpatine, good bye. It doesn't matter whether these Sith are in the Darth Revan team or a separate comp, they aren't viable anymore. Any Sith that benefit from TM gain isn't viable anymore. You can't use them even in Darth Revan teams or otherwise. There may be more examples, but right now I can't remember them as I type.

So I ask CG to be more imaginative in their design approach. We know you want to shut down Emperor Palpatine lead as you do not want Malak (your latest paywall character) to be overshadowed by a meta that has existed for over a year. But please do not do that in such a way that robs the Sith Faction as a whole.
    Those are some solid points. Didn't realize their way of neutering EP leads ended up doing more harm to other Sith and Sith teams, such as Darth Nihilus or Darth Maul, Savage Oppress

I like to add that the worst part about this change is the insult to injury, "Sith enemies (except raid bosses)".

They literally made Malak powerful for squad arena, usually a buffed toon would be useful in other game modes like raids but this is just disgusting. They had a great excuse before, preventing infinite loops but now they just change characters on a whim
  • qlrqj4rpdbor.jpeg
    Well the Roads Ahead said there will be a balance in the Arena in the future. However people who don't have DR or Malak like me can simply not see the ROAD in the future. As we can still use Palpatine to defeat Darth Revan, after changing the unique skill there is no way for us to take the lead and get the 500 crystals. Yeah that's what EA/CG's so called balance——「we will work for the balance, but you guys are prohibited from defeating Malak😉」
  • Kokie
    1338 posts Member

A new meta shouldn't be beatable by a toon like palp....not good for the game or the games bottom line
  • So much for variety in arena. It was fun while it lasted. 3 years into this game & really enjoyed the 1st 2.1/4 years. It was looking like the game was back on track with Darth Revan being beaten on defence by a healthy number of teams. Sadly, I know this has become a game I would never have become invested in had it not been for the variety & Star Wars brand.
  • Crynus
    19 posts Member
    Kokie wrote: »

A new meta shouldn't be beatable by a toon like palp....not good for the game or the games bottom line

100% agree. not ok with with solving it with a sledgehammer when a scalpel is what's needed.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    Kokie wrote: »

But why though? Malak still takes first 7 places in my shard, even with the counter.
  • META = MAKE EVERYONE THINK ALIKE
  • Orleans
    177 posts Member
    CosmicJ wrote: »

Oh no worries man, I got Drevan and Malak F2P because I farmed Mission and Zaal right after Revan hit. Why? They are awesome for TW and GA. Started farming OR right away as well. It was obvious what was going to happen.

Disagree with this. I've been prepared for almost every event, no chance with this one. You saw value in those characters and had them maxed out, congrats.

But id argue that the overkill requirement and lack of time to prepare for this event wasnt obvious at all.

I saw value in them because Kotor obviously wasn't over and personally, I focus on every game mode. They were a no brainer for Grand Arena and TW. If you are good in both arenas, hoard some crystals and gear, then you can totally bump up Big Z and Mission. The Drevan event was delayed and they gave us an early heads up. Everyone should have farmed OR right away and most people did. Look at the economy here. They can't be satisfied with the Drevan event so a "panic" on Malak was obviously going to happen if you ask me. Ofc, the short amount of time is it's own topic but again, you basically needed two characters since most of the OR/Sith Empire were needed before already. Yes, it wasn't obvious Mission and Big Z might be needed but it was obvious Malak, the missing link, wouldn't be that easy to get just as Drevan. So yea, I do believe preparing for that was possible as F2P.
  • Ultra wrote: »
    Those are some solid points. Didn't realize their way of neutering EP leads ended up doing more harm to other Sith and Sith teams, such as Darth Nihilus or Darth Maul, Savage Oppress

Exactly, not only does it negatively impact a portion of the current Sith Faction, it will also negatively impact any future Sith release that rely on TM gain (Or they will never release another Sith that has TM gain in their kit which further limits their design choices). Retroactively adjusting character kits to facilitate introduction of new characters is not a great design choice. It only increases overheads.

This change is not only bad for the present state of the Sith Faction, but also bad for any possible future. Heck, even a bandaid fix like "If palpatine is enemy leader" is not as terrible as this change (it is still a terrible way to do it, but hey they have already started putting text like "If Jedi Knight Revan is enemy leader"). At least the rest of the Sith won't get penalized for having the "Sith" tag.

Another way I could suggest them doing this exact same thing would be "When Sith Empire lose debuff, enemy team lose x% TM. That would be a better way to make Darth Revan teams stronger without neutering the Sith Tag.

Please note, I am not advocating Palpatine nerf. CG is going to do it regardless of what I have to say. I am suggesting better ways to do it.
  • Chima
    113 posts Member
    I said it many times before, but I'll say again, this CG team is really, really, really bad.
  • Cs99 wrote: »
    They should have just added malak automatically defeats any team led by emporer palpatine.

Basically what it boils down to.
  • Nihion
    3340 posts Member
    It was possible as F2P, but I don’t think it was obvious. Many people seemed to think he’d be a marquee to just finish up. There was no evidence to say that a new event with crazy requirements would pop up a week after DR.
  • Wookye
    30 posts Member
    UPDATE TO THE ROAD AHEAD: Previously we said there would be balance in arena in the future. We have now updated the text of the original post to more clearly reflect our intentions. "There will be a balance sheet for arena in the future. Insert credit card here." We hope this clarifies things! –CG_CashGrab
  • Much more disappointed than DR's release.
    CG should consider more about make the game more variable not official meta.
  • And people wonder why I say "ignore the meta".
  • How do you beat Darth revan and malak without Darth revan and malak?

Funny that.
  • Tomaj
    41 posts Member
    On the bright side, if GMY is in the leader slot he's immune to shock. So...yeah! 😎...😅...😓...😣...😥...
  • Gorem
    1190 posts Member
    What kind of Lazy un-creative change is that?

Like no thought went into it at all, you just wanted to remove TM gains from arena sith characters. This hurts more then just Palp too.

Its been great seeing diversity in the arena after so long, there is no reason to do this change to Malak, which also hurts his own sith empire faction.

Anyone who invested gear into SM and SA just wasted every piece of gear. Sith who are a part of the empire now must never be used?